Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

The ringer had this guy as the number 4 prospect. I think its a good pick considering Okoru and Okongwu were off the board.  I feel better about it than Rui which felt like a reach last year and he worked out pretty well. The free throw percentage is troubling but a good pick and roll team defender guy sounds like a fit for the Wiz to me. 

He feels like a cross between Sato and Otto when we first drafted him, before he could shoot.  He has an impressive off ball movement game and he is pretty big for a wing.  And he rebounds and he has some bounce and he has a handle.  He can become one of those 6-4 to 6-8 dribble-pass-shoot players I was talking about, provided he learns to shoot.

All of the basketball nerds seem to think this was a good value pick for us, and I trust their takes over mine.  But we've got work to do in order to fix the defense.

If we don't get a defensive prospect tonight, I'm going to start losing confidence in Tommy's ability to put together a roster that can play defense.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

This video is now everything I know about him. 

I think this video made me dislike the pick more.........**** was the purpose of this pic, to pump up the international fanbase?  Shouldve just took Jalen Smith from Maryland....

Edited by LetMeSeeYourWarFace21
  • Like 1

Phenomenal video. Yet I think it alleviated none of my concerns. He’s a stash pick, with a country behind him. Best positive I could take from it is that he consistently played in leagues with a significant age difference. But then again, he didn’t look all that great in the euro league. He’s a question mark at best. 

This video is pretty good:

I think Sam Vecenie is right in that Avdija's projection comes down to how much you think he can grow as a shooter.  If he becomes a good shooter, then he's almost definitely going to end up being a good player.  If he never gets good at shooting, then the pick will be a disappointment.

• Like 1

He's super young.

I don't think his stats really say much. He played 6mins per game last season and 14 mins pg this season. His 55% FTs was  off 10-18 shooting. (18 FTs in 26 games) He shoots as many 3's as FGs. Seems to have range. His jumper looks fine. 

Looks like a young Euro project to me. Realistically at 9 not sure what I was expecting. 

Edited by Mooka
  • Like 1

Wings that can't shoot give me a headache man.  There's just no place on the modern NBA floor for guys that can't hit an open shot.  Doubly so if they also can't hit free throws.  He's a self check on the edge and an easy decision to foul if he puts it on the floor and drives. 

And if euro ball doesn't teach him how to shoot, why would I expect the Wizards to do so?  Fundamentals is what Euro ball is about. 

That said I'm a Wizards fan so I'm hoping my feelings are wrong.  I hope he takes the league by storm and turns into a great player.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

DC is gonna do this kid pretty good.  

Grinding with Beal/Wall at practice + good Wiz nutrition/training/coaching infrastructure + east coast, US hip-hop culture, blacktop deep-dive...

Could work out.

Yeah I think it could work out too if he gets good at shooting.  This is my first exposure to his game, I skipped over him because all of the mocks had him going before we picked.  He's pretty good.  Big for a wing, good open floor speed, good leaping ability, good vision and IQ, good handle, good finisher with that right hand in particular.  That video has him shooting and making a ton of catch and release three balls.  He is scoring and playing like an NBA player.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Destino said:

Wings that can't shoot give me a headache man.  There's just no place on the modern NBA floor for guys that can't hit an open shot.  Doubly so if they also can't hit free throws.  He's a self check on the edge and an easy decision to foul if he puts it on the floor and drives. 

And if euro ball doesn't teach him how to shoot, why would I expect the Wizards to do so?  Fundamentals is what Euro ball is about. 

That said I'm a Wizards fan so I'm hoping my feelings are wrong.  I hope he takes the league by storm and turns into a great player.

I would agree if he couldn't dribble either, but he has a handle.  His drives look good.  He keeps his head up and scans the whole floor as he drives and he uses that big body to keep people off the ball and wall off trailing defenders from passing lanes and lanes to weak side help.  He's also got a nice little first step for attacking dudes who are late on a close out.  Some of these drives are pretty advanced looking, and they mesh with what we see from his fairly advanced off ball movement skill--he sees the floor really well and is canny and energetic about creating scoring opportunities.

And watching that video, he does a lot of catching and shooting and it looks fluid.  Maybe the base gets a little wide, but he's big for a perimeter player.  The release is high and the elevation looks easy and consistent.  I think that Ringer guy might be right that you have to read between the lines with his stats because they aren't painting an accurate picture of his skills.  I think he might actually become a solid shooter.  Tommy has actually been really good at picking guys with good NBA offensive skills.

I think Avdija might actually become a good value pick when you take the pick on its own.  The problem for us is the defense.  He doesn't really make it any better, and we have no clear path forward to make our defense better.  Wall + Beal + Robinson + Brown Jr + Bonga + Avdija + Hachimura + Bertans + Wagner + Bryant is actually a pretty killer 10 man rotation in terms of offensive ability.  They'll score a ton of points.  But Bonga and maybe Brown Jr are the only guys in that group who are good defensive players, and that is a major problem.

4 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

He has shown promise with the ball in his hands: something that will never happen with John and Brad here. Will have to pray he makes a leap on his shot. 

Brooks and Wall.  Brad doesn't seem to have any issue giving it up early and moving without the ball.  Wall has never done that.  Brooks doesn't believe in much scripted off ball movement.  Probably because players hate it, and Brooks is better at keeping players happy than he is at coaching them. 

Secondary play makers are a thing all over the league, but not in Washington.