Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

how could you hate Campbell....he was a true professional and always played his ass off

The same can be said about Brunell. I didn't hate them on a personal level (though Campbell did start to get annoying by the end). I hated them as quarterbacks. I hate Blatche as a player AND on a personal level. Hence him being the top seed in my hate bracket--easily.

Wall was good tonight. This teams identity has to be good defense. The entire collection of talent has abysmal offensive skills but almost all of them project to be good to excellent defenders. They did that tonight.

I can't say good when a player takes 12 shots and scores 8 points. This team won on defensive effort and also a ton of scoring from the bench. 43 points to be exact. That's not going to happen every night and horrible inefficiency is a tough to overcome. We have too many players like that and it kills us.

I'm still waiting to see an offensive move from Wall that doesn't involve running hard at the basket.

He'll take an open jumper if they back off of him, but its clear he has next to no confidence in it.

His offensive game has a long way to go.

Nice to see him reduce the turnovers today though.

Nice win for the Wizz.

Saunders made some coaching moves that worked.

What he calls the defensive line-up should become the 'regular' line-up.

At one point in the game I swore I heard Buck say that Tor had 119(ish) turnovers and the Wiz had 0?

At some point I hope they try playing Wall off the ball more and spread the court out where he can try get his scoring going by taking his man to the hole.

Defense? What a novel concept.

Good win.

I want to eventually be able to take my family to a Wiz games without making them sit through some bad bad basketball.

If I look at the schedule closely I might be able to find a few games where that might happen this season.

I wasn't sure about that til this game.

I can't say good when a player takes 12 shots and scores 8 points. This team won on defensive effort and also a ton of scoring from the bench. 43 points to be exact. That's not going to happen every night and horrible inefficiency is a tough to overcome. We have too many players like that and it kills us.

He struggled shooting the ball but he ran the team well. Also had only one turnover I think. You expect him to have trouble shooting the ball, but he can help this team by limiting the turnovers and running the offense smartly.

These wins will be few and far-between but tonight we saw a glimpse of the future. Vesely made being a defensive beast look easy and he proved he can finish in the NBA. Booker shined and Singleton might even develop a 3 point shot to go with what we get from him at the other end.

More thoughts...

Keeping Crawford at the 2 spot is the right thing to do. Letting him have the point gives him delusions of grandeur.

Rashard should always come off the bench nowadays. He doesn't have the legs for starter minutes.

Blatche's "shoulder thing" was mighty convenient and mighty overdue. However, he responded really well to fewer minutes also and he really did try to take it to the hole a lot tonight.

Edited by Chachie

Funny how one game (and 16 mins) gets the entire world back on Vesely's side. He was all but declared a bust a few days ago. Such a fickle town. And you better believe I'm keeping names on those who declare Wall a bust. Can't wait to rub that in down the road.

Anyway, be nice to see Vesely turn into a Kirilenko (in his prime) or Josh Smith type player. Very valuable.

Blatche played hard tonight. Don't worry, there will be plenty more chances to trash him in the future GACOLB. I'm going to enjoy his performance for a change.

Vesely's defensive opportunism definitely jumped out. Booker flashed. Wall and McGee were absolutely stifling. Both Rashard and Blatche shot well and Blatche hustled up and down the floor on the break and made a some nice defensive plays in transition--CNN reports that Hell has indeed frozen over.

Crawford shot well, provided a spark, and looked really good with the ball in his hands.

Singleton seemed quiet mostly but actually had a really nice game, scoring nine and came down with nine boards.

This team is just begging for a dominant scoring wing or power forward or maybe even both. We've got the makings of a terrific bench and rotation for a legit contender--tons of energy, athleticism, length, defensive potential, etc.

Swap Rashard with Kevin Durant and we'd actually be pretty good :).

So there you have it. All we have to do is find a Kevin Durant.

In this draft, that might not actually be as outlandish as it sounds. Anyone been following Quincy Miller? I've only seen one game.

For the record....I still think Vesely busts and Wall turns into a top 3 player in the league.

Keep JaVale unless you package him in a blockbuster trade (which is highly unlikely)

no more starts and limited minutes for Rashard

Lots of PT for Singleton and Booker

JUST say NO to Anthony Davis.

Give me Lamb, Jones, or Barnes....but I'd actually rather see us package the lottery pick with a couple players not named Wall for a solid #2 guy for Wall who can score.

Notable problem areas from the win though: We shot poorly from the line as a team and gave up entirely too many offensive rebounds to Toronto (14). A lot of them were freak bounces, but a lot of them were also lapses in focus.

---------- Post added January-11th-2012 at 01:47 AM ----------

Also, it was good to see the team having fun for a change. I loved the reaction on the bench when Vesely picked that pass and threw it down.

Let's not pretend that the Gilbert Arenas situation is our entire problem. Ernie stuck with group way too long after it should have been clear they weren't going to do anything. Trading a high pick for 2 players that were gone in a year was one of many many examples of why the team has been in this position for a while. His draft and trade record have been pathetic.

Edited by Darrell Green Fan