Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Destino is right that it only makes sense to trade Beal for a haul.  Only a few teams have the collection of assets on hand to make it worthwhile.

The Knicks are one of them...

We'll get a feel for Beal's market once the dust settles on this summer.  I suspect his value is going to grow as we approach next summer, when the FA class is looking pretty weak.

He's got to stay healthy though.  The team needs to protect him better than they have in the past.

4 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Sato was a good kid that showed potential. Surprised he was permitted to walk.

Not sure who's going to play PG now...Wall can't even play for like another half season at the earliest

Did we have the money/capability to match the contract offer he received?

Mahimi, Wall, and Beal keep us right against the cap. That said, I’m with you. I’m pretty surprised they didn’t try harder to work something out. 

11 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Mahimi, Wall, and Beal keep us right against the cap. That said, I’m with you. I’m pretty surprised they didn’t try harder to work something out. 

I imagine Ernie would have matched the offer to keep Sato. 

Lose/Lose situation. 

7 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Don’t really want anybody worth a damn...this is a tank year.  

If it's a tank year you might as well make it a full tank year, go back in time, and trade Beal for Charlotte's Fourth, plus other goodies.

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

Yeah.  He was a restricted free agent, we could match whatever deal he signed, and go over the cap to do so.  We signed and traded him, meaning we facilitated him walking out of the door.

Sato wasn't properly valued by this organization.  He was a good player and team first guy and we just didn't use him right, or realize what we had in him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

If it's a tank year you might as well make it a full tank year, go back in time, and trade Beal for Charlotte's Fourth, plus other goodies.

New Orleans's you mean.  I wanted to make that deal too, but I think that pick might have been promised to Atlanta when the initial trade with the Lakers was made.  And I think the Wizards had been a part of the Davis trade as the fourth team from the beginning too.

There is a narrative in the media that came out of the Anthony Davis trade that the Lakers were incompetent morons for not understanding the cap and clearing enough room for another max contract as part of the AD trade.  But that narrative didn't pass the smell test, and I think the media definitely didn't understand the timeline of the deal, nor did they know all of the details when news of the trade broke.  So they made a bunch of assumptions that were dumb.  There is a Lakers insider on their subreddit who predicted that the Anthony Davis trade was going to go down, well in advance, and he said that it was going to be a four team deal and that Atlanta and Washington were probably going to be the other two teams involved.  And all of that ended up being exactly true.  The media talking heads who claimed that the Lakers had to go back into the deal later on to fix their **** up of not clearing cap for a second max deal were flat out wrong.  Even if Pelinka is a dumbass (I think he is), the Lakers have professional capologists/agents/lawyers and people who are experts on the CBA and know how to work the cap.

So I think that #4 pick to Atlanta was how the Lakers and Pelicans got the Hawks involved in the deal, and that pick was never on the table for us in a potential Beal trade.

5 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Read they had Rui, Brown and Issuf Sanon together in pre summer league practice to get used to each other. Wonder if they think Sanon will stay in the US this year.  

Fred Katz seemed very doubtful that Sanon had a shot at making the team this year.  He's 19 with an October birthday, so he is still very young.  And he probably doesn't have enough experience to make the Wizards.

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Yusuf-Sanon/Summary/95051

He's only played about 1413 minutes of Eurobasket ball and not all of that was at a high level of competition.  And his numbers aren't great.  Doesn't look like he's that close to being ready to make the jump to the NBA.

Beal has more value now (or had before FA started) then he ever will.  Lots of teams cleared lots of cap space planning on this FA class.

And he's got the extra year on his contract.

Next year fewer teams are going to have free money (e.g. the Knicks are signing a bunch of people to 2 year deals) because they know next years FA market is weak, and with only one year left on his contract, he'll be in a much better position to dictate where he goes (do the AD thing and say well if they trade for me, it will be only for one year) and just with 1 year in general will have less value.

Staying as a max 45 win team doesn't make sense.  Should have traded him.

4 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

This reeks of the dwight howard signing

Hopefully they didnt throw him a player option

This team is going to be really bad. Hopefully they limit Beals minutes cause it seems like they won’t trade him and do a proper rebuild.

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

This team is going to be really bad. Hopefully they limit Beals minutes cause it seems like they won’t trade him and do a proper rebuild.

At this point, Beal controls his own minutes. He wont allow them to cut back if they wanted to because it eats at his chances of making all-nba to qualify for the supermax. Playing on a losing team means he has to put up insane numbers to be considered

5 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Lets see what the front office wants us to think:

Does she get paid by the Wizards cause that’s laughable.

2 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

At this point, Beal controls his own minutes. He wont allow them to cut back if they wanted to because it eats at his chances of making all-nba to qualify for the supermax. Playing on a losing team means he has to put up insane numbers to be considered

That’s true and I don’t blame him.