Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

2 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

Nets went from cap hell and being poorly run to KD, Kyrie, & DeAndre Jordan in short order

ending up with nothin from the Otto trade hurts a little

We got the cap space back, that's better them nothing, imo.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

We got the cap space back, that's better them nothing, imo. 

We don't have cap space this summer.  The trade was made to get out of paying luxury tax.  It was terrible, but what's done is done, and at least the piece of **** GM that did it is gone.

10 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

That’s a nice deal all around with Bryant.

Yeah, it's fair value.  Realistically, Thomas's ceiling was the Full MLE.  RFAs like him have some obscure rules about the exceptions they can sign, and the biggest exception he qualified for with the MLE.  The only way he was going to get more was from a team with cap space, and I don't think there was much of a demand for him with those squads.

We got him at just under the full MLE, which is good work by the FO in my estimation.  Could we have waited a while and maybe whittled down his number a little?  Perhaps.  But I think it's good faith negotiating when you don't nickel and dime young players and leave them in a state of uncertainty about their value and their future with you.  And I think that can be beneficial to you down the road because it builds trusts in subsequent negotiations.

So far the Sheppard era looks like it's off to a good start.  But the success of this offseason hinges on Thomas improving on the defensive end, and Rui reaching his potential.

If we bring back Sato and let Portis and Parker walk, I'll be fully satisfied.

If we poach someone young and promising from these other teams who are in the free agent rat race (like Rondae Hollis-Jefferson), I'll be legitimately happy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We don't have cap space this summer.  The trade was made to get out of paying luxury tax.  It was terrible, but what's done is done, and at least the piece of **** GM that did it is gone.

Maybe I should've phrased it as getting that cap space back, but the point was to get rid of the max co tract for someone that wasn't worth it.  That was worth it.

4 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

its going to be hard to judge any moves we make without some expectation of team performance from the front office 

They're not going to come right out and say we'll suck this year, but it's clear we're gonna suck this year.  Probably something like 33 wins is realistic.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Agreed.  Oubre was traded to try and save Ernie's ass by getting Ariza but then Wall went down for good and that was that.  I also think we did it because we didn't want to pay Oubre this summer.  And I think we were right to make that call.  He wasn't playing well or progressing here.  He was still a below replacement level player.

The Otto trade was a pure salary dump.  The team was finished and the ownership group wanted to get out of paying a **** ton of luxury tax.  It sucks and I hate the move, but that's what happened.  It wasn't a strategic move to improve the team.  It was purely about saving money.

Ernie's house of cards finally crumbled as many of us predicted it would.  He was constantly trading away the future to plug holes he created and the team was getting older and more expensive.  Yet he just kept adding bad decision ontop of previous ones.  This team is an absolute mess right now and it's going to take years just to get out of the crumbling ruin Ernie left behind. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Destino said:

Ernie's house of cards finally crumbled as many of us predicted it would.  He was constantly trading away the future to plug holes he created and the team was getting older and more expensive.  Yet he just kept adding bad decision ontop of previous ones.  This team is an absolute mess right now and it's going to take years just to get out of the crumbling ruin Ernie left behind.  

We'll be alright if we draft well moving forward, and make smart acquisitions of unsung young players with talent who didn't stick with their previous teams.  That's how Brooklyn dug out of their hole, and it was much deeper than ours.

But we simply can't turn it around without drafting well.  That was Ernie's undoing.  Well that and the ****ing awful free agency signings.

7 hours ago, Destino said:

I like that the realization of just how god damn hateful the Otto trade was is finally setting in for everyone who covers and follows the team.  It was a hideous, utterly indefensible move.  Meanwhile, contrast it to what the Nets just got back for a god damn sign and trade of D'Angelo Russell.

But the talk of extending Portis and/or Parker, mainly to just feel like we got something back from dealing Porter was also terrible thinking.  Both of them suck and aren't worth anything near the contracts they'll sign.  They are replacement level players.  It'd be straight up throwing good money after bad.

We need to accept that we traded one of the best young three and D players in the NBA for a bag of **** because our GM was a **** for brains moron and move on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I admit that I'm not very good at evaluating and projecting college players, but I can't shake the feeling that we missed on Brandon Clarke.  His numbers + his highlights are so jaw dropping.  Smarter people than me have looked at him and said "he defines his own archetype," and that was my realization too.  These kinds of players get overlooked by the NBA and end up providing massive extra value to the teams that draft them.

I've become fond of the Hachimura pick, and I think it made the best of an awful situation of falling three spots in a reputedly weak draft.  But I still feel like the way we crush that draft was to find a way to get back into the late first and get Brandon Clarke.

I give our offseason a B if we bring back Sato and let Parker walk.  We'll have made all sensible moves, retained the value of our assets, and spent our dollars and picks pretty well.  It'd be a solid start to the Sheppard era.

But we won't really have done anything to add a ton of value to our warchest of assets.

IMO, the way we would have added a ton of value is by getting Clarke too, trading Beal for a haul, and poaching some of this young talent that's being left out in the cold by teams who are star-chasing.

Now maybe we did that last part with the guys we got from the Lakers, not real sure about them.  And we might be able to trade Beal for an even better haul by waiting until the deadline or next summer.  And we might still be browsing the RFA market for quality.  But I give Sheppard a B for now.

There's part of me that thinks that KD going to the Nets is a slap in the Wizards' face. Not because they should have gotten him this year. Obviously, there was no chance, but because Durant said that Washington was never in play, never in consideration the last go-around. You'd have thunk that Washington out sex-appeals the Nets esp. back then with an up and coming Wall, Beal, and Porter combo. 

It doesn't really matter and we weren't going to compete with the supermodel looks of GS no matter what. You can also say that it isn't the Nets, but the ability to construct their version of the super team all at once (though part of me doesn't understand why Kyrie isn't considered Kryptonite at this point,) but I still think that it says something rather ugly about how the Wiz are looked at when the Knicks and Nets are reportedly in play and the Wizards are considered the ugly one.

This version of KD isn't like the 2016 version.  He had a three team market this year.  He went from being a top three player, to maybe 10-15 when he gets back in 2020.  It limited his window and his demand.

What the Nets have done is interesting, but it feels desperate, and I don't think they're going to get a championship out of it.  If Durant had signed with either us or Boston in 2016, either us or them probably would have gotten one.

8 hours ago, Destino said:

I’ve said this more than once but I still don’t understand why the Wiz didn’t use Parker’s contract to absorb a salary dump and get a pick. We’ve watch TJ Warren and Iggy be given away which would’ve added assets. 

14 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

This is at least the second time he has spurned us in free agency.

Sweet Jesus did EGGM get punked in that trade.   Kelly Oubre Jr. and Austin Rivers for less than one year of Aziza.  

Edited by Rocky21

9 hours ago, bearrock said:

Bad at drafting, bad at signing free agents, bad at hiring coaches....  I wonder how many years he would've gotten if he was even mediocre at one of those things

Seem to be a D.C. thing. 😜

31 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Image result for who gif

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

We did a sign and trade with Sato and reportedly get a 2020 2nd round pick and the rights to swap a future 2nd round pick in the deal from The Bulls.

Shep is doing his best to get some of those 2nds back.

Edited by Rocky21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Hey, we got a point guard!

Edit:  Welp, Sato is a Bull.  I wish him well. 

Ugh.  I wish him well too, but I really wanted him back.  He is a good player, much better than Ish Smith, and he has much more utility as well.  The second round pick and the pick swap we got in return don't feel like enough to justify the downgrade.  10 million a year for Sato was fair market value.

I also don't like that we lost our only perimeter player who knew how to play defense and who gave effort on that end.

So now it's official.  The only players we have left to show for all of those high draft picks from 2009-2018 are a severely injured John Wall, Brad Beal, and Troy Brown Jr.

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I see no point in keeping Beal. This team has to start planning for 2023 or so

Yeah... I think I may settle on this thought as well. Absolutely no point in keeping him when his trade value is this high.

There were rumors that Butler wanted him in Miami with him. Let's see if Miami wants him bad enough.

Either that, or see if Raptors are willing to give us something if they lose Kawhi...