Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Wall will be fine. I think he tried to do too much there at the end because he realized there is nobody on the team other then Young(who was getting doubled it looked like at the end)who can shoot worth a damn. He tried to be a hero and he failed. It happens. Hell Kobe Bryant literally threw a game away the other day. I'd rather have a guy try to be a hero then someone who shies away from the big moment. We all saw Wall do great things last year especially in the clutch. But he's still a young player and will have his ups and downs. I blame management more for not surrounding him with better complimentary pieces.

I like the idea of Wall/Young/Singleton starting at 1-2-3. Gives us a drive and disher, a shooter/scorer, and a legit stopper. Wall and Young aren't bad defenders either, or shouldn't be with their length and athleticism, and Singleton can hit the open J. The frontcourt is in a state of flux at the moment with Blatche's general state of "bleh" and Mcgee's inconsistency though I do like McGee and am willing to keep giving him minutes. I don't think he'll reach his full potential without a heady defensive PF to compliment him though.

Edited by Warhead36

We need more quality catch and shoot outlets. Singleton will be a good catch and shoot wing one day. NY can catch and shoot but prefers to work his way to his spots on his own. Crawford can't catch and shoot right now and Blatche isn't making his shots.

Rashard is supposed to be able to but didn't do a great job last night and he's not in our long term plans anyway.

With a facilitator/penetrator like Wall, we need a plethora of catch and shoot weapons and it's one of our biggest defficiencies. Our SGs and SFs have got to improve here or else we've got to find other ones who can do this.

They'll get space because of Wall.

We also don't get any reliable low post scoring so all of our points are so difficult. Blatche is right, play him in better spots down low and have him work the block. His jumpshots aren't falling. What can it hurt to experiment there?

Wall's problem last night wasn't a finishing issue so much as it was a predictability issue. It's hard to finish at the rim when the defense knows exactly what you're trying to do.

He got desperate once the score gap closed and started pressing and lost his patience and poise and the offense collapsed. He tried to take the game over but it wasn't there. That's the one thing NJ was NOT going to let happen on defense. He'd have been better off making the extra pass and letting his outlets operate with all of that space.

Wall's game management skills and patience will come with experience.

Been thinking about John Wall all night and something dawned on me.

I remember several scouting reports that that said JW couldn't run a half court offense......

And so far I've seen nothing to counter that belief.

Besides shooting his chief weakness is:

1.) Though he possesses great speed, doesn't seem to have the blinding first step that many of the premier PGs have.

2.)Doesn't seem (at least to me) to be particularly quick laterally.

I'm not saying he's a bust but I think there are some issues there.

Edit: Someone tell me I'm totally off base. :)

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Been thinking about John Wall all night and something dawned on me.

I remember several scouting reports that that said JW couldn't run a half court offense......

And so far I've seen nothing to counter that belief.

Besides shooting his chief weakness is:

1.) Though he possesses great speed, doesn't seem to have the blinding first step that many of the premier PGs have.

2.)Doesn't seem (at least to me) to be particularly quick laterally.

I'm not saying he's a bust but I think there are some issues there.

Edit: Someone tell me I'm totally off base. :)

Wall has a great first step and outstanding quickness. The problem is, defenses sag off on him and load the box with 3+ guys because offensively we can't spread the defense with our lack of shooters.

Right now Wall is Rondo on a worse team. If those two were to switch places Wall would be a 20/10 guy easily passing to three HOF-ers while Rondo would struggle worse than Wall.

---------- Post added December-27th-2011 at 12:46 PM ----------

Wall looked out of sorts on defense last night...like, REALLY out of sorts. Maybe it's just nit-picking, but I expect greatness from Wall.

He gambles too much, but when he focuses on straight up 1 on 1 D he did great. Definitely bothered D Will late.

I don't know about that 6'8 listing. He doesn't look much taller than Wall side by side. He's got long arms though.

Maybe Wall is taller than we think?

Wall is 6'4. I'm surprised to hear your Singleton comments (about his height). I mentioned to my friend as soon as Singleton checked in that he is much bigger than I thought. He looks like a large SF that could also play PF in small ball lineups (like Shawn Marion). I was surprised how tall, muscular, and long he is....the dude is Big!

I guess that is one advantage of being at the game opposed to watching TV...you can key in on certain players for extended periods of time.....I keyed in on JaVale and Singleton for parts of the game. Would watch them at all times on offense and defense for extended periods of time.

Being at the game you can also see how big/small players are. LeBron looks bigger in person and so does Brendan Haywood (random).

Wall has a great first step and outstanding quickness. The problem is, defenses sag off on him and load the box with 3+ guys because offensively we can't spread the defense with our lack of shooters.

Right now Wall is Rondo on a worse team. If those two were to switch places Wall would be a 20/10 guy easily passing to three HOF-ers while Rondo would struggle worse than Wall.

Maybe 2-3 years ago you would be correct. Did you see Rondo against the Knicks on Sunday? Pierce was out with an injury and Ray Allen was pretty much the only outside thread. Rondo has come a long way the past year or two.

OT: I'm sure Wall will be fine, but the complete lack of an outside shot is concerning. You would think he would have been working with shooting coaches during the extended time off.

Edited by Heisenberg

Wall looked out of sorts on defense last night...like, REALLY out of sorts. Maybe it's just nit-picking, but I expect greatness from Wall.

Look at him in the 4th quarter though. He was intense. He locked down Deron Williams with length and quick hands.

The young guys were playing mad and I liked to see it. Booker, McGee, Singleton, and Wall were all blocking shots and/or aggressively swatting the ball and jumping into passing lanes. Even Blatche was swiping the ball.

They just couldn't corral the ball though.

---------- Post added December-27th-2011 at 01:55 PM ----------

Wall is 6'4. I'm surprised to hear your Singleton comments (about his height). I mentioned to my friend as soon as Singleton checked in that he is much bigger than I thought. He looks like a large SF that could also play PF in small ball lineups (like Shawn Marion). I was surprised how tall, muscular, and long he is....the dude is Big!

I guess that is one advantage of being at the game opposed to watching TV...you can key in on certain players for extended periods of time.....I keyed in on JaVale and Singleton for parts of the game. Would watch them at all times on offense and defense for extended periods of time.

Being at the game you can also see how big/small players are. LeBron looks bigger in person and so does Brendan Haywood (random).

Singleton measured a legit 6'7 without shoes at the combine. That's good enough, and indicates he's bigger than I expected. His drill times and his vertical were freakish and his body fat % is low even though he's filled out.

I was basing my comment on him relative to Wall. He doesn't look much taller than Wall.

But knowing Singleton's height from his combine measurements, I think it could be that Wall is taller than his listing. I believe the rumors that Wall is 6'5 and I think he could be taller in his shoes.

---------- Post added December-27th-2011 at 12:46 PM ----------

He gambles too much, but when he focuses on straight up 1 on 1 D he did great. Definitely bothered D Will late.

Rondo had 30 vs. the Knicks.

Seth Davis is an idiot if he really believes that. The wizards could try benching him and starting Booker but they have no options outside of that. Singleton isn't a PF and Seraphin isn't an NBA player yet worthy of big time minutes.

I don't think Flip has the power to bench Blatche. He wanted to bench Blatche the day after Blatche removed himself from a game. Somebody hire up than Flip wouldn't let him though.

I don't think Flip has the power to bench Blatche. He wanted to bench Blatche the day after Blatche removed himself from a game. Somebody hire up than Flip wouldn't let him though.

That's sad. If he doesn't play as the team needs him too Booker needs to get his spot. If he can be reasonably effective on offense his overall impact could be significant. If he can't then him and Seraphin coupled with Lewis/singleton would be a offensive nightmare.

I bet outside of John Wall, Chris Singleton will have the best NBA career of this wizards bunch. I see a faster and bigger version of ron Artest/bruce bowen in him

If he starts to nail that outside jumper with any consistency, he'll stay in the league 15 years easy. He has the potential to be the perfect "3 & D" guy.

"Every body need to shut up I didn't call out my coach or team mates I said I had a bad game need it n the post instead of jump shots," Blatche tweeted.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7393538/on-twitter-andray-blatche-washington-wizards-tells-people-shut-up

I hope someone responded "no u shut up stupid face"

Edited by Destino

Blatche is right, play him in better spots down low and have him work the block. His jumpshots aren't falling. What can it hurt to experiment there?

Blatche is full of ****. If he starts down in the low post (and he does on many possessionshe'll either got muscled out to the wing (Brand made him his *****), or he starts floating out there on his own. Just watch him. With or without the ball.

Wall's problem last night wasn't a finishing issue so much as it was a predictability issue. It's hard to finish at the rim when the defense knows exactly what you're trying to do.

Really disagree with this. Wall is getting to the hoop. At ease, even. And once he's there, whether the defense expected it or not, he should be finishing. And he doesn't. It's a problem I noticed (and pointed out) last year. And me and the random sitting behind me at the opener had a conversation about it, so I know I'm not the only one who has noticed it.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

some observations from the game:

Blatche is a lazy ass. Kardashian's ex made him his ***** and looked like a ****ing allstar out there. Humphries is garbage and made his living off of Blatche's laziness.

McGee looks to be turning a corner and maturing. He made some good post moves and played good, aggressive defense. I was happy to see him actually making an effort. I was livid when Flip took him out with 2 mins to go and kept Blatche in the game...****ing bull****. Blatche was sucking wind, barely able to make it up and down the court while McGee was still going strong, blocking shots and getting rebounds.

Singleton - great addition...good defense and energy.

Young - should be starting...

Lewis - worthless. completely worthless. didnt score a basket at all in the 1st half :wtf:

Crawford - forced WAY too much ****.

Wall - he really worries me. I know he's young and still learning, but he plays out of control too much and, like Crawford, began getting frustrated and forced too much ****. Maybe things would be different if we had more scorers on the team.

Really disagree with this. Wall is getting to the hoop. At ease, even. And once he's there, whether the defense expected it or not, he should be finishing. And he doesn't. It's a problem I noticed (and pointed out) last year. And me and the random sitting behind me at the opener had a conversation about it, so I know I'm not the only one who has noticed it.

I agree. It makes no sense to say he's not finishing because the defense knows what he is going to do. This is basketball if you drive to the basket the secret is out. lol If the defense knows the plan they will attempt to stop Wall from getting to the basket but if they can't do that he needs to learn to finish. He needs more options at the rim. Watch Rose attack the basket and notice how he's mastered finishing from all sorts of different angles and releases.

Wall needs to spend the summer with a shooting coach and a mostly empty gym. Singleton should be on the other side shooting threes until his arms refuse to move.

Edited by Destino

my last Flip complaint for awhile......how could he let Blatche be Captain? It took one game to show that was stupid. Don't tell me the players voted on it....we saw what happens with that. Look at DeAngelo Hall and the Skins. The players obviously don't know who to pick as their leaders.

Should have put the C on Wall this season and let him use the year to take full control of the team as their on-court leader. Even with his mistakes like the opening game...he's still mature about it. Blatche goes on twitter and starts moaning? Really?

Blatche being the captain is the epitome of this franchise. A bunch of losers.

I'm completely disconnected with them until Blatche is traded or cut. I can't rationalize investing my time and money in a team that values a moron like him this much. If I'm not enjoying the games, there is no point in watching.

I would write to Ted, but if our management doesn't see him for the loser he really is, then there is no point. I can't believe he's been on the team for seven years and we are still having this conversation.