Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

@WojVerticalNBA - Scott Brooks has agreed to deal to become the Washington coach, league source tells @TheVertical

@WojVerticalNBA - Scott Brooks has agreed in principle on a five-year, $35M deal with the Wizards, league sources tell @TheVertical.

@joregeccastillo - Can confirm @WojVerticalNBA's report that the Wizards are finalizing an agreement with Scott Brooks to become the Wizards' next coach.

Edited by STBonecrusher21

How is this not the most clown run organization in basketball? We hired a coach based off a wing and a prayer that it will lead to KD coming here. Drafted Oubre for the same reason. Let Ariza and Pierce leave and signed everyone to one-year deals. All of his based on a player who won't sign here. Unbelievable

We didn't draft him because he was a counselor at one of KD's camps, we drafted him because he is good and was a lottery talent that dropped. If Durant was a consideration in our draft pick, we wouldn't have picked a SF.

Durant was supposedly a consideration in hiring Brooks, but it obviously wasn't the only one. He has a reputation for developing young players, which was our primary consideration. He also has a career winning percentage over .600, he ain't Wittman. This is a decent hire.

• Like 1

Brooks was intrigued by Lakers gig, and Rockets wanted him, but Washington worked quickly 4 a deal before LA and/or Houston jobs opened.

Would expect Brooks will try to get former assistants Rex Kalamian (currently w/Raps) & Mo Cheeks to D.C., maybe ex Nets interim Tony Brown.

Hearing Wiz will push to keep assistant David Adkins. Yes, KD’s asst HS coach. But also did good work this year w/first-rounder Kelly Oubre.

Also: Brooks is a big believer in potential of Otto Porter.

We didn't draft him because he was a counselor at one of KD's camps, we drafted him because he is good and was a lottery talent that dropped. If Durant was a consideration in our draft pick, we wouldn't have picked a SF.

Durant was supposedly a consideration in hiring Brooks, but it obviously wasn't the only one. He has a reputation for developing young players, which was our primary consideration. He also has a career winning percentage over .600, he ain't Wittman. This is a decent hire.

You can't possibly believe all of these things are coincidences?

Not sure why people think this is a bad hire, especially when other organizations like the Lakers and Rockets had heavy interest in him.

He is a defensive minded coach, who is good at developing guys. If his only weakness was playing Perkins too long in a series, I am sure that is something he learned from. Oh and he has a winning% over .600

Not sure why people think this is a bad hire, especially when other organizations like the Lakers and Rockets had heavy interest in him.

He is a defensive minded coach, who is good at developing guys. If his only weakness was playing Perkins too long in a series, I am sure that is something he learned from. Oh and he has a winning% over .600

I don't think he's a bad coach, I just think it's odd that we're making so many decisions based off of a player who's more than likely not going to be here.

Lakers organization? They're front office is garbage and have hired a string of garbage coaches. The Rockets want him because Hardens gone crazy and they need someone who can reason with him.

I'm concerned that he's another bad x and o guy that stresses defense. Only now he has a long high dollar deal meaning w can't get rid of him.

Hopefully he's been working on offense during his time off.

Lakers organization? They're front office is garbage and have hired a string of garbage coaches. The Rockets want him because Hardens gone crazy and they need someone who can reason with him.

What does Brooks give us Wittman didn't? Another bad x and o guy that stresses defense. Only now he has a long high dollar deal meaning w can't get rid of him.

Hopefully he's been working on offense during his time off.

No point in arguing with you if you going to compare a coach who went to the finals (yeah I know KD/West...) to a guy who did jack ****, and literally regressed the team this year

• Like 1

No point in arguing with you if you going to compare a coach who went to the finals (yeah I know KD/West...) to a guy who did jack ****, and literally regressed the team this year

Mike Brown also went to the finals. In the NBA you always have to be wary of coaches that just won a lot of games because they had great players.

As for regressing the team lost Paul Pierce and was riddled with injuries all year. How many fewer games did they win? Five. If I had asked you last year how many fewer games would the Wizards win if Beal only started 35 games would you have said much less than five? Wittman was never good but this season was as much about injuries (and signing injured players) as it was about Randy being Randy.

I hope Brooks is great because he'll be here 4 years no matter what. If he knows when to call a timeout that would be a nice boost.

I don't think he's a bad coach, I just think it's odd that we're making so many decisions based off of a player who's more than likely not going to be here.

You're making the assumption this is only about KD.

If you believe various reports, the Wiz actually think Brooks can develop the young players on this team.

Brooks will get us to 50.

I'm curious to see what Brooks's offense is going to look like. This is a much better passing team than OKC was. Also more of a three point shooting team. And on the flip side, we don't have two dominant scorers to fall back on. My guess is the pacey three point chucking offense will stay.