Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Um... you've been to Washington DC, right?

Monuments probably isn't the best name they could pick, but it's certainly better than Wizards.

It's an absolutely ridiculous name. You aren't supposed to brand teams with names that are THAT obvious. Like the Buffalo Bills. It's cute and trying to be catchy and witty, but it really isn't.

Grumpy old man is probably too nice. I think miserable old man is more fitting.

And I know I can't be the only one who is noticing how you're trying to go positive now. Like Trump with the birth certificate, I'll take credit for that.

I have never changed my opinion.

I gave floor seats to Hubbs this year. Next year you and I can go.

---------- Post added May-11th-2011 at 11:14 PM ----------

Comparing chipwich to Trump is uncool. Chip's been a good poster for a long time. Healthy skepticism of the Wizards is an unfortunate side effect caused by the team itself.

Thanks Burgold. I probably come off like a jerk in my posts, but it isn't the intended :)

It's an absolutely ridiculous name. You aren't supposed to brand teams with names that are THAT obvious. Like the Buffalo Bills. It's cute and trying to be catchy and witty, but it really isn't.

That's the exact reason why so many people hate Wizards name as much as they do. It's completely out of left field and has absolutely nothing to do with the city or it's history at all.

Now that's true about catchy or fun names... they're better for minor league teams (like the Flying Squirrels.. I've gotten over losing out Ham Bones and am proud of the Squirrels name now).

Edited by sly

Na, Vishal lives in Indiana. He's never been to DC in his life. What about you?

:ols: that was pretty damn funny.....we definitely need to all get together for some games next year....we'll even invite steve along from Richmond.

Yes, I've visited Washington DC. I also ate a hog dog for lunch.

did I miss something....please tell me you didn't put ketchup on it.

How about some outside the box thinking here with the name:

"Defenders of Washington" (hiyooooo)

"Patriots of Washington"

"Stars and Stripes of Washington".

"Stripes of Washington"

---------- Post added May-11th-2011 at 08:35 PM ----------

"Nation of Washington"

---------- Post added May-11th-2011 at 08:40 PM ----------

"Nation of Washington"

How about

"Sons of Washington"?

Tone, my friend. Tone.

COURTSIDE!!!!! I'm down. What are the terms: Clubs? Shanks? Guns? Or just fists?

Sorry just free beer, wine, food and drink if you don't like the alcohol. If you like alcohol, we can determine the outcome after a few drinks :)

I've always liked "Washington Revolution"

I don't think I'd mind that. Isn't there an MLS team named the Revolution though?

One question I have is whether we should go completely local with the name--something that is uniquely DC culture--or should we emphasize our status as the capital of the United States? If it's the latter, again, I think we need to go military. DC SEALS. DC Power. Washington Guard. DC Spies. Washington Espionage. Washington SOCOMS. **** I don't know.

:ols: that was pretty damn funny.....we definitely need to all get together for some games next year....we'll even invite steve along from Richmond.

did I miss something....please tell me you didn't put ketchup on it.

We still need to hit up a Nats game. Any and every Sunday I'm down. And there is always an open invite. Even Steve. Or my honey bunny Chipwhich (grab my pocket *****.)

And he lost me on the hog dog too, lol.

---------- Post added May-12th-2011 at 01:01 AM ----------

Sorry just free beer, wine, food and drink if you don't like the alcohol. If you like alcohol, we can determine the outcome after a few drinks :)

Oh the outcome is already determined. I promise I'll call 911 for you though.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Washington Monuments is worse than Washington Lincoln Memorials or Washington White Houses.

"The Washington Monuments play a mile away from the Washington Monument. *Hardy har har*."

---------- Post added May-12th-2011 at 02:36 AM ----------

LOL we can do a Nats game.

You old enough to drink? :ols:

I am not 90, and I am no small punk. So I hope you have game :)

Why are you so obsessed with me drinking and getting drunk?

This **** has gotten gay and creepy now. Yes I'm old enough to drink. No, I'm not a big drinker. Yes, if you wanna hit up a Nats game with us, I'm not sure how the others feel but that's fine by me. We normally try to go on Sundays--every other Sunday.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

I moved to Hampton Roads last month (need to update my profile), so it's a trip for me. It's a good three hours with ideal traffic (which never happens). Needless to say, I probably won't make it up there often. But I've got friends living in Arlington/Alexandria, **** if I ever get up and visit them, I'd definitely be down for going to some Nats or Wizards games.

BTW that was a classic article by Dan Steinberg GACOLB. I was impressed by the level of research he did for it. Looks like he was pouring over some old WaPo archives. Is it just me or were Wilbon and Kornheiser funnier back then?

Reading it makes me less critical of Abe for changing the name to Wizards because it seems like he was really sincere in wanting to prevent violence. I just think he was a little misguided since I don't really understand the causal connection between gun violence and a basketball team's name. I guess he just didn't want people cracking topical jokes about his team's name.

If we can't have Bullets back, I think the name should be something to do with politics/government. That's the first thing that comes to mind when D.C. is mentioned, at least to a person who doesn't live there.

Washington Filibusters?

Washington Federalists?

Washington Whigs?

The Washington Bull Moose?

Name it after a battleship?

Washington Enterprise?

Washington Constitutions?

Maybe go with law enforcement since everything is headquartered in D.C.

Washington Marshals?

Customs and Border Agents?

Washington G-Men?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-Man_(slang)

Ted could save money on mascots.

I don't want something too highbrow and I think that's so easy to fall into with naming a DC team. I want something badass.

Glad you liked the article. Like I said, it should be required reading for Wizards fans. (Steinberg was a beast back then. Now it seems like he's on the 106.7 program and all he does is ***** about Snyder, Shanahan and the Skins.)

And you're one of the people off of here I'd most like to hit u[ a game with. You, Gator Bait (can't believe we haven't met up yet), BRAVEONAWARPATH, stillunknown, etc.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

I don't think I'd mind that. Isn't there an MLS team named the Revolution though?

One question I have is whether we should go completely local with the name--something that is uniquely DC culture--or should we emphasize our status as the capital of the United States? If it's the latter, again, I think we need to go military. DC SEALS. DC Power. Washington Guard. DC Spies. Washington Espionage. Washington SOCOMS. **** I don't know.

Yeah, I can see the Washington Monument and the Capitol from my apartment building.

Why not name ourselves the Washington White Houses? Washington Lincoln Memorials? Washington Smithsonians?

Cherry Blossoms.

Boom.

Just blew your mind.

Edited by DarrellsMyHero28

We still need to hit up a Nats game. Any and every Sunday I'm down. And there is always an open invite.

hard to get motivated to go to a game on Sunday

1. I'm usually hung over on Sunday and don't get up till around noon

2. I don't typically drink the night before I have to go to work

3. I have to drink at a baseball game to have fun

but...we'll figure something out

Yeah, I can see the Washington Monument and the Capitol from my apartment building.

Why not name ourselves the Washington White Houses? Washington Lincoln Memorials? Washington Smithsonians?

Obviously Monuments is better than those names (or Washington Metros, etc)... but I wasn't arguing FOR Monuments (although it's better than Wizards), I was pointing out the fact that the nickname would at least, in fact, "make sense." That's all.

Obviously Monuments is better than those names (or Washington Metros, etc)... but I wasn't arguing FOR Monuments (although it's better than Wizards), I was pointing out the fact that the nickname would at least, in fact, "make sense." That's all.

What I'm arguing is that even though it has ties to the city, it still males zero sense as the name of a pro sports team. I think Wizards, as cheesy and lame as it is, makes more sense than Monuments.