Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

And whats up with the crescent moon?

If you are going to read into a symbol you have to look deeper than that! For instance: You've got two stars. An 8 pointed star the wizard is pointing at and a five pointed star on his hat. They also used the same partial view of a basketballs seems that creates a with three lines joined by a perpendicular line. The crescent moon is present as well as you've already noted.

Good luck cracking the code. :silly:

Edited by Destino

Another thought after watching the Ernie Grunfeld press conference.....If we don't get one of the top 3 picks and take Irving (to likely trade), Williams, or Kanter I am 100% convinced we will reach a bit for Bismack Biyombo. Ernie reiterated that the team is not going to sacrifice the future in order to "win now." They are fully sticking to the plan of developing our own players that we draft or young guys we bring in via trades.

I'm not on the Bismack bandwagon; but in this draft i wouldn't mind taking a gamble on a guy with a high ceiling. My problem with Bismack is the lack of offensive game. He would likely play PF, which would mean playing with javale McGee....we'd have two Bigs with very little offensive game. I'm not against drafting the guy...because defense and rebounding win championships, but I'd really like to get a PF with some offensive game (efficient offensive game). But, if we do draft him, I'll support the decision and hope for Joakim Noah/Dennis Rodman/Ben Wallace

I also think it is likley that we will package the #18 pick and #34 pick to move back into the mid-upper lottery to snag a player. Maybe a guy like Faried or even Terrance Jones if his stock keeps dropping.

I don't see us doing much in free agency either. We will probably resign Nick Young and maybe bring in one or two vet free agents to come off the bench. Three point shooter would be nice.

I'm probably going to sound crazy but I saw a massive improvement in Javale's offensive game throughout the year.

I actually thought he was looking like a viable offensive threat as the season ended. If he improves his foot work, he can be a very effective low post player. Not the biggest guy, but he's quicker than almost any center in the league.

He needs to significantly improve his free throw shooting. He was getting to the line quite frequently at the end of the year but couldn't make his FT's for ****.

Edited by No Excuses

I'm probably going to sound crazy but I saw a massive improvement in Javale's offensive game throughout the year.

I actually thought he was looking like a viable offensive threat as the season ended. If he improves his foot work, he can be a very effective low post player. Not the biggest guy, but he's quicker than almost any center in the league.

He needs to significantly improve his free throw shooting. He was getting to the line quite frequently at the end of the year but couldn't make his FT's for ****.

I don't think you sound crazy, because he definitely did improve (mostly in the rebounding category). I definitely wouldn't call him a legit offensive threat by any means though. With McGee's height, length, and athleticism he should definitely be better than he is offensively. He needs to develop a Kareem sky hook....it would be unstoppable. There are very few players in the league with the length and shot blocking ability to stop a consistent Javale Hook...he'd get double teamed whenever he got the ball, which would then open up the kick out to Rashard or Young for the three.

---------- Post added April-22nd-2011 at 11:44 AM ----------

we need a 20-10 guy who gets his 20 consistently and efficiently (as in 50% or better from the field) I don't care if it is a center or a PF...but this team will not be a contender until we get this player (and I don't think he is currently on the team)

Wanted to make sure, if I was right in assuming that Javale finished the season strong.

15 games in March he averaged 13 and 10 with 3 blocks a game. :yikes:

8 games in April he averaged 12 and 7 with 2 blocks a game.

Add a brain with those raw numbers and you have potentially one of the most dominant big men in the game. That's the key. He just needs to stop being a ****ing idiot. I hope he's serious when he said at the end of the year that he's going to come back more muscular and will spend time watching game footage of quality centers.

You are right that he is not a legit offensive threat yet. Though I do think with at least one or two go to moves, he'll be damn near impossible to defend. He looked comfortable putting the ball on the floor for 1 or 2 dribbles and beating his man to the basket. Hopefully he can add to this with better footwork.

I'm really hoping that the mental development takes place for McGee. McGee with a smart game is the type of player who can propel you from being a low 6-8 seed to a top 4 team in the conference. I haven't completely given up on him yet. A small part of me is still hopeful.

Edited by No Excuses

I think this team is gonna have to draft BPA regardless of postion. Even a guy like Knight who will be a NBA star and put UK on his back at times. The kid can go anywhere he wants with the ball and can shoot at will. He is a guy who can steal minutes at the 2 and he plays defense. I think he has bigtime potential and it would'nt shock me a bit if he ended up better then Wall especially in the halfcourt. He will be a bigtime piece we can use as trade bait once he shows his ability or even Crawford. This is another stud the Calipari just shot out. I like Terrence Jones alot as well for a 18 year old the kid rebounds,blocks shots and can shoot.

I'm staying away from the Euro's i'm not impressed with Kanter at all he looks like a slow plodder with injury questions.

This team needs young bigtime athletes who have the potential to develop into superstars that can be parlayed into something much bigger or kept for the long run. The Wizards are like the skins very talent depleted and need to draft the BPA everytime.

Edited by Samuels

First off, the Wiz are nothing like the Skins. Either you're overrating what the Skins got going (absolutely nothing after Landry, Orakpo and Williams--3 of 53) or underrating what the Wiz are doing. Let me know when the Skins have a franchise player or any young talent.

Secondly, unless it's a draft and trade there is absolutely no chance that we're taking Irving, Knight, Walker, etc. The last thing we need is a guard.

Gator, your point about Bismack being a bad fit with McGee's limited offense is valid. But I don't think you pass on a potential big time difference maker on D and on the boards because of McGee. He's yet to prove that he's a long term answer. What if you pass on Bismack for that reason, he blows up elsewhere and Javale remains a moron? How horrible would that feel? I'd rather have too many big time bigs than none at all.

You know, the ****tiness of this draft makes it fascinating. Normally you have a good feel for how the top 10 is going to unfold, or at lwast who's going to be in it. Outside of Williams and Irving, this draft is wide open. I'm not saying that's a good thing, but it is interesting to watch.

First off, the Wiz are nothing like the Skins. Either you're overrating what the Skins got going (absolutely nothing after Landry, Orakpo and Williams--3 of 53) or underrating what the Wiz are doing. Let me know when the Skins have a franchise player or any young talent.

Secondly, unless it's a draft and trade there is absolutely no chance that we're taking Irving, Knight, Walker, etc. The last thing we need is a guard.

Gator, your point about Bismack being a bad fit with McGee's limited offense is valid. But I don't think you pass on a potential big time difference maker on D and on the boards because of McGee. He's yet to prove that he's a long term answer. What if you pass on Bismack for that reason, he blows up elsewhere and Javale remains a moron? How horrible would that feel? I'd rather have too many big time bigs than none at all.

You know, the ****tiness of this draft makes it fascinating. Normally you have a good feel for how the top 10 is going to unfold, or at lwast who's going to be in it. Outside of Williams and Irving, this draft is wide open. I'm not saying that's a good thing, but it is interesting to watch.

The Skins have young studs as well Orakpo,Landry, Williams etc. That was'nt my point anyway, i'm trying to say the have holes everywhere and need to draft BPA period regardless of it being a PG or any other position. I'd much rather have 2 young stud PG's then Wall and a bunch of potential. If you got a sure thing it can be parlayed in a trade for a bigtime piece.

I think there is a very good chance that Knight or even Kembo will be BPA. I'd rather draft them then reach on a big man.

Football and basketball are apples and oranges. You got 12-15 holes vs 53. Thus Wall by himself is greater than Landry, Williams and Orakpo. One player can have a bigger impact. And we don't have holes everywhere. The guard position is largely set.

Drafting and keeping Irving to eventually trade him is a fine idea, but how are you gonna showcase him? Where is he gonna get mintues? Are you gonna take away minutes from and potentially stunt the development of Wall or Crawford for a player that you ultimately don't even want? And if teams know you have to trade him, who has the barfaining power?

You go BPA when Adrian Peterson is on the board and Chester Taylor is your starter. You go BPA when it's Calvin Johnsom even though you've failed multiple times at drafting WR's high. You go BPA when it's John Wall and you have a shell of Gilbert Arenas. You don't spend a high draft pick on Kyrie Irving so you can hopefully trade him one day when you have John Wall on the roster.

And really, probably the biggest difference between us, is how we see Bismack. I think he's legit. And he's at a position of need.

BTW, I'm curious as to what Skins players fall under that "etc"?

Football and basketball are apples and oranges. You got 12-15 holes vs 53. Thus Wall by himself is greater than Landry, Williams and Orakpo. One player can have a bigger impact. And we don't have holes everywhere. The guard position is largely set.

Drafting and keeping Irving to eventually trade him is a fine idea, but how are you gonna showcase him? Where is he gonna get mintues? Are you gonna take away minutes from and potentially stunt the development of Wall or Crawford for a player that you ultimately don't even want? And if teams know you have to trade him, who has the barfaining power?

You go BPA when Adrian Peterson is on the board and Chester Taylor is your starter. You go BPA when it's Calvin Johnsom even though you've failed multiple times at drafting WR's high. You go BPA when it's John Wall and you have a shell of Gilbert Arenas. You don't spend a high draft pick on Kyrie Irving so you can hopefully trade him one day when you have John Wall on the roster.

And really, probably the biggest difference between us, is how we see Bismack. I think he's legit. And he's at a position of need.

BTW, I'm curious as to what Skins players fall under that "etc"?

I know the difference between football and basketball I played both. Your missing my point though both teams have huge holes and are along way from competing for anything. Bismack I watched in one game and some youtube video's its really not enough out there for me to fairly judge him. Kanter to me is a plodder and this team needs to be uptempo with the way its currently constructed.

I love the Wizards back court with NY and JC but honestly is that a championship back court? Thats a huge question mark anybody can put up numbers with bigtime minutes AND SHOTS but NY struggled up until this year getting any meaniful minutes and JC could'nt sniff the court for a playoff team in ATL.

My point is this I think Irving, Knight and Kembo will make a bigger impact then NY or JC ever will. Those 3 guys have all star potential and I honestly like Knight more then Irving. I'm not worried about minutes because the best players will play. If this team has 2 all star PG's that is serious trade bait to go after a bigtime star at a postion of need when were ready to take that next step.