Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Ok guys talking draft, who would you take bewtween Enes Kanter F Kentucky, Jared Sullinger F Ohio state, Derrick Williams F Arizona, Terrence Jones F Kentucky...who \would you take and why

I think Derrick Williams F Arizona is someone we need an athletic SF who can shoot, block and dunk...better than the crap we have, coming in a close second is Enes Kanter PF...6-11 big man who dominated Sullinger in competitions before he got declared ineligible for college. So have at it , who would you take and why

I'd take Sullinger because we desperately need a big who can rebound.

He's stated he's going back to college next year. Now could he change his mind? Yes but he's also said he's a man of his word so I take him on that

If Kanter checks out medically then I take him because I see Williams going #1

He's stated he's going back to college next year. Now could he change his mind? Yes but he's also said he's a man of his word so I take him on that

If Kanter checks out medically then I take him because I see Williams going #1

Yeah I read that. Bah, making an already weak draft class even weaker. If Barnes goes back to school too and we don't end up with a top 3 pick(for Williams, Kanter, or Jones), I'd strongly consider just trading the pick and getting an established vet in his mid 20s that can help us now. I don't know who'd be available, just saying that I'd be open to trading the pick.

Yeah I read that. Bah, making an already weak draft class even weaker. If Barnes goes back to school too and we don't end up with a top 3 pick(for Williams, Kanter, or Jones), I'd strongly consider just trading the pick and getting an established vet in his mid 20s that can help us now. I don't know who'd be available, just saying that I'd be open to trading the pick.

The last time we did that we could have gotten Steph Curry or Demar DeRozen. Not saying it wouldn't be a bad move, but I'd rather keep the draft pick

The last time we did that we could have gotten Steph Curry or Demar DeRozen. Not saying it wouldn't be a bad move, but I'd rather keep the draft pick

True, but this draft class really looks weak. And you can't just rely on the draft in the NBA, you have to be able to mix in FAs/trades.

True, but this draft class really looks weak. And you can't just rely on the draft in the NBA, you have to be able to mix in FAs/trades.

Very true but if we're picking #5 I want to take the guy there instead of trading the pick away. I'd take Terrence Jones at #5 and not look back. With the 2nd 1st rounder I'm looking at Trey Thompkins out of Georgia as a C for us.

Very true but if we're picking #5 I want to take the guy there instead of trading the pick away. I'd take Terrence Jones at #5 and not look back. With the 2nd 1st rounder I'm looking at Trey Thompkins out of Georgia as a C for us.

I think Thompkins is a little small and soft to play center. He's like a poor man's Jared Sullinger with a little more offensive polish and a lot less strength.

If Barnes and Sullinger go back, I'd still keep the pick. Trading a high lottery pick for veterans absolutely blew last time we did it. My top choice would be Kanter. Kanter might be my top choice even if Sullinger and Barnes both come out. If he's off the board then I'd go for Jonas Valanciunas. If he's off the board then I go for Derrick Williams or Terrence Jones. If they are both off the board then I go for Perry Jones. Our floor is picking six. One of those six players will be available unless they all decide to stay out of the draft factoring in the top 3 pick Kyrie Irving would draw if he came out. But even if he goes back too, there are still probably six forwards and centers who are good enough to keep our pick for.

---------- Post added March-26th-2011 at 02:36 PM ----------

I also think that Barnes and Sullinger will come out in the end. They'd be foolish not to. Next year's class has about 7 forwards/centers in it's top 7...

Quincy Miller, James McAdoo, Anthony Davis, and Michael Gilchrist are all super impressive looking 3s.

The iron is hot for Sullinger and Barnes. This is pretty much their best chance at going in the top three picks.

Does anyone know how next year's draft would work if there was a year long lockout? How would they determine the lottery?

If they just use the same standings as this year there is a good chance we could get another top 3 choice for the 2012 class. I wouldn't mind that. In that case I'd trade some assets (Nick Young? Blatche? second first from this year) to try and get another lottery pick for 2012. That'd be three high lottery picks between 2011 and 2012. You could pull off a Kanter selection this year and then raid the Kentucky players again and get Quincy Miller and Michael Gilchrist in 2012. You could feature this absolutely badass lineup:

1 - Wall / Crawford

2 - Gilchrist / Crawford

3 - Miller / Booker

4 - Kanter / Booker / Seraphin

5 - McGee / Kanter / Seraphin

That'd be a flipping sweet 8 man group. We could make the Kentucky lineup complete by signing DeMarcus Cousins when he hits FA LOL!

EDIT: Wait, my bad, Quincy Miller is going to Baylor, not Kentucky. I was thinking of Marquise Teague and Anthony Davis for some reason. Well that totally messes up everything.

---------- Post added March-26th-2011 at 02:47 PM ----------

Also, here's yet another question for you all: what do you guys think of Patric Young, the freshman from Florida? He's on the tail end of their rotation and hasn't gotten a lot of time this season, but he looks like the most athletically gifted true big in this entire class. I don't know if he'll come out this year, but if he did, he'd have to be worth a look as a developmental type.

---------- Post added March-26th-2011 at 02:57 PM ----------

Whatever ends up happening in the draft, I just want us to take some really high character guys with great intangibles. McGee's boneheadedness and Blatche's crappy attitude have soured me on that type of player. I think that's a big part of the reason I'm so high on players like Sullinger, Barnes, Gilchrist, and now Patric Young. I want hard-nosed players who might sacrifice a little skill or athleticism but bring grittiness or intelligence to the table. We're a young team that's flush in speed and athleticism but lacking in savvy and toughness. I'm hoping we can use the next two drafts to change that.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

Does anyone know how next year's draft would work if there was a year long lockout? How would they determine the lottery?

If they just use the same standings as this year there is a good chance we could get another top 3 choice for the 2012 class. I wouldn't mind that. In that case I'd trade some assets (Nick Young? Blatche? second first from this year) to try and get another lottery pick for 2012. That'd be three high lottery picks between 2011 and 2012. You could pull off a Kanter selection this year and then raid the Kentucky players again and get Quincy Miller and Michael Gilchrist in 2012. You could feature this absolutely badass lineup:

1 - Wall / Crawford

2 - Gilchrist / Crawford

3 - Miller / Booker

There's just one problem with your idea.

If you trade Blatche/Young/McGee for lottery picks, by the time those picks develop (assuming they develop at all) you risk losing Wall.

Just something to think about....

1 - Wall / Crawford

2 - Gilchrist / Crawford

3 - Miller / Booker

That'd be a flipping sweet 8 man group. We could make the Kentucky lineup complete by signing DeMarcus Cousins when he hits FA LOL!

EDIT: Wait, my bad, Quincy Miller is going to Baylor, not Kentucky. I was thinking of Marquise Teague and Anthony Davis for some reason. Well that totally messes up everything.

that doesn't take into account any potential free agents that will come here. I can't see them having all that cap room and then doing nothing with it

There's just one problem with your idea.

If you trade Blatche/Young/McGee for lottery picks, by the time those picks develop (assuming they develop at all) you risk losing Wall.

Just something to think about....

I think we'd be able to keep him with that much talent at 2-4. Especially if we're fortunate enough to draft Quincy Miller. If he's on the roster Wall will stay. Anyone would. That'd be like Russell Westbrook deciding to leave for greener pastures.

Michael Gilchrist is the cherry on top. A true Scottie Pippen or Brandon Roy-like sidekick who everyone would love to play with.

We'd probably have to be ****ing lucky to get the both of them though. As in picking about second and fifth overall in 2012, but still having everything break the right way in the draft lucky.

The 2012 players would only be two years younger than Wall and they'd be on about the same window as him and they will have a year or two of veterancy by the time Wall's contract is up in 2014. We would already be rapidly improving by then.

Regarding the FA situation, I'd just say screw signing FA starters if we had that kind of talent. We'll need the cap room just to keep our own once their rookie deals run out. Even still, it might take some of them accepting less money to stay together because I could see Wall, Gilchrist, and Miller all being the type that could command max deals down the line and Kanter wouldn't be cheap. If we somehow managed to stay far enough under the cap to make a sizable FA move, I guess I'd spend my money on DeMarcus Cousins. He'd almost be superfluous, but that'd be just about the only piece we'd have room on the roster to add.

This draft is full of role players. I would really love to have more picks. These are guys i think you can find in the 2nd round that would build this roster: Nolan Smith, Jon Diebler, Cam Long, Kenneth Fried

GEORGE MASON'S Cam Long?? I don't see him getting drafted.

Nolan Smith in the 2nd would be a steal. Perfect backup to Wall.

This thread has gotten really funny/ridiculous

Blatche an asset??

Blatche-Young for a lottery pick...haha

Cam Long drafted...haha

calling someone a poor man's Sullinger???? sullinger is a broke mother ****er himself!!!!!

taking Kanter over Williams.... hilarious

Terrance Jones over Perry Jones....really?????

Yeah but with how weak this class is turning out, Smith will probably get taken by a playoff team that could use a smart PG with big game(albeit college)experience in the mid 20s.

Agreed I could very well see him on a team like Boston or somewhere like that who wants a guy who can come off the bench and run the point for the starter.

Blatche-Young for a lottery pick...haha
I assume your mildly insulting tone was directed at me. Blatche and Young for a lottery pick sounds ridiculous? More so than taking on a bad contract plus Mo Williams and Jamario Moon for a lottery pick?
calling someone a poor man's Sullinger???? sullinger is a broke mother ****er himself!!!!!
Sullinger is a terrific player.
taking Kanter over Williams.... hilarious
If Kanter's knees check out, I'd do it. Where does a 6'8 power forward who doesn't rebound well fit on this team?
Terrance Jones over Perry Jones....really?????
Why not? Your boy Perry Jones was pretty much a chump this year and his teams have never been worth a damn. At least Terrence Jones was actually good and his team is winning.

BTW, it's nice to see you changed your tune on Harrison Barnes. Remember our discussions from earlier? Yeah. I was right and you were wrong. Let's say it aloud together everyone. Stevemcqueen = 1, Gatorbait = 0. :bow:

I assume your mildly insulting tone was directed at me. Blatche and Young for a lottery pick sounds ridiculous? More so than taking on a bad contract plus Mo Williams and Jamario Moon for a lottery pick?

Blatche is a cancer and at this point he is a bad contract; Nick Young has had one good year and it was still somewhat inconsistent (and it was a contract year) so yeah....no one is trading a lottery pick for these two unless we take a terrible contract back.

Mo Williams is a former All-Star who has proven he is a starter year after year...and LA got rid of a terrible contract....so these two scenarios are completely different.

Not that I agree w/ the Clipper's decision, but it is much different than Blatche-Young.

Sullinger is a terrific player.

Sullinger has zero athleticism; he benefited by playing in a pretty weak conference and wouldn't even get his team to the elite 8. I think he is stupidly overrated. He will not be able to dominate players in the NBA...and please don't make the Kevin Love comparison because Kevin's basketball IQ explodes through the roof...I'm not calling Sullinger stupid, but he is no Kevin Love.

If Kanter's knees check out, I'd do it. Where does a 6'8 power forward who doesn't rebound well fit on this team?

Williams is hands down the #1 overall pick in the draft. He does everything well....good shooter from inside and out. he is pretty much an Antawn Jamison who can play defense (which was really the only problem I had w/ Jamison...his lack of defense). The man shot 60% from three this year...that is ridiculous. Kanter didn't even play this year and I wouldn't touch anyone with history of Knee problems before they get to the NBA (See Brandon Roy)

Why not? Your boy Perry Jones was pretty much a chump this year and his teams have never been worth a damn. At least Terrence Jones was actually good and his team is winning.

Terrence Jones is on a much better team ....I believe they had the #1 recruiting class the past two years...if not, damn close. Perry Jones has the highest upside of any other player in the draft. In a weak year like this year, I'd rather take the guy with a high ceiling rather than settling for ball hog shot jacking Terrence Jones....he is a selfish player...I don't want him.

BTW, it's nice to see you changed your tune on Harrison Barnes. Remember our discussions from earlier? Yeah. I was right and you were wrong. Let's say it aloud together everyone. Stevemcqueen = 1, Gatorbait = 0

I never really supported or trashed Barnes from what I can remember. He flat out didn't show up in the earlier part of the season...so yeah....I probably wasn't on his bandwagon, but I can't believe you are actually trying to make a "stevemcqueen - 1 Gatorbait - 0 claim......

you definitely lead the thread in stupid comments....the majority of the time I'm pretty sure you are typing out your ass. .....still can't believe you called Blatche an asset. I'll admit...I was on the Blatche wagon for WAAYYYYYY too long....but at least I hopped out at the end and didn't go off the cliff.

---------- Post added March-27th-2011 at 05:54 PM ----------

Nbadraft.net has Cam Long going in the middle of the 2nd. So that's where that's coming from. Haven't seen enough of him to say one way or the other. But I think it's the first time I've seen a Mason player in a mock so that's cool.

NBAdraft.net also has the Wizards taking (count them) three guards in the draft.....so I don't put much stock into their opinion.

Cam isn't very athletic (from an NBA perspective) and his ball handling skills aren't good enough to be a back up PG in the NBA. Cam does a lot well and had a good year for Mason, but he disappeared in the tournaments when it mattered...that kills any chance of him cracking the draft in my opinion.

I wouldn't mind bringing him in for a try out after the draft, but I definitely wouldn't waste a draft pick on him.

....that being said, I hope Cam proves me wrong, because I'm a big fan.

---------- Post added March-27th-2011 at 06:07 PM ----------

Yeah...I just went back and looked....I said nothing negative about Harrison Barnes.....I criticized your logic in comparing the minutes played and points per game between Jones and Barnes to justify Barnes being better.

I really hate it when people use stats and box scores to fully justify if a player is better than another...you have got to watch the games. Stats can be used to compare sometimes .....especially when looking at +/- and shooting efficiency....although with shooting efficiency you have to consider how many of a players shots are layups opposed to mid-range shots. If someone looked at Rondo's box scores, they would think he is a good shooter when he is really terrible.....he just knows he is terrible, so he doesn't shoot a whole lot of shots that aren't layups.

I did, however, say that perry Jones was a lock for #1 earlier in the year (which will likely not happen) and I also said that Kimba wouldn't be a lottery pick (which is also likely wrong).....so I'll take shots at myself for that.

Pick Barnes/Williams with first pick. Second pick (#19 from Atlanta) we should pick KENNETH FARIED.

I'm with you on all your picks...but don't you think Faried would be available in the second round?

I've got a bunch of guys picked out that I'd love to have with that second round pick: Chris Singleton, Nolan Smith, and Jujuan johnson.

I'd like to get David Lighty in the second round as well. There will be lots of value between 17-35

NBAdraft.net also has the Wizards taking (count them) three guards in the draft.....so I don't put much stock into their opinion.

Cam isn't very athletic (from an NBA perspective) and his ball handling skills aren't good enough to be a back up PG in the NBA. Cam does a lot well and had a good year for Mason, but he disappeared in the tournaments when it mattered...that kills any chance of him cracking the draft in my opinion.

I wouldn't mind bringing him in for a try out after the draft, but I definitely wouldn't waste a draft pick on him.

....that being said, I hope Cam proves me wrong, because I'm a big fan.[

The thing with nbadraft.net is that their mock really isn't a mock. It's like a player ranking. They just put teams up to show where they are slated to draft (pre-lottery).

draftexpress.com (the one I actually respect) definitely doesn't have Long in their mock though.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2011/

---------- Post added March-27th-2011 at 07:26 PM ----------

For those of us looking for high character guys, I love this interview with Barnes about his early season struggles. Very nice difference from Blatche's "Oh I'm hurt, they're just haters, I'm not not a low post player, what do they want from me?" bull****. Plus a nice strengths vs weaknesses vid at the end. He looks like an excellent defender:

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Draft-Prospect-of-the-Week-Harrison-Barnes-3648/

I'm with you on all your picks...but don't you think Faried would be available in the second round?

I've got a bunch of guys picked out that I'd love to have with that second round pick: Chris Singleton, Nolan Smith, and Jujuan johnson.

I'd like to get David Lighty in the second round as well. There will be lots of value between 17-35

I think Faried will go higher than some would think. Right now he is a top 20 prospect according to Chad Ford and could be a nice player in the front court for us. Some people have gone to the length of saying he is a Dennis Rodman-esque type of player. Obviously, we already have a player that is undersized and plays good hard defense (Booker), but I think Faried is great value for a player at the 19 spot.

As for the first pick, no matter what, you take the player who is the best all-around player, and can be a star. I wouldn't go for the player that can fulfill a hole in the front court because that player may not have as much quality as someone that plays a backcourt position. I just hope this team continues to lose so we get a higher pick lol.

As for Lighty, I really like that idea. Lighty is a very good three point shooter and the Wizards don't have a bonafide, established marksman on their roster at this point.

It will be interesting to see how this offseason goes. I just wish they could have shipped out Howard for a draft pick. We need as much youth as we can get.