Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

You're always asking questions, so let me ask you one. Can this team build around John Wall and be competitive? If so, how long will it take?

Yes, but it will take some time. Look at the Caps for instance. Ovechkin was drafted in 2004, but they didn't make their first playoff appearance with him until 2008. Granted they lost a year due to the lockout, but still, that's three years. It could be less for the Wizards. We have cap room and should get another top pick. If the player we take ends up becoming a stud, or at least well above average, and we spend some of that salary cap room to bring in a vet or two who knows how to play, I could see this being a fringe playoff team(by that I mean 7-8 seed at best) next season. This is assuming Wall takes the next step.

The biggest key is Wall and his development. The NBA more than any other sport is about stars and one great player can basically carry you. I mean look at the Cavs with Lebron and without him, the rest of the roster is essentially the same. They went from title contender to arguably one of the worst teams in history. Wall has all the talent in the world and will be a great player barring something catastrophic, but it will take some time. This franchise will go as far as he can take us unless we win the lottery again in a year with a dominant big man prospect. There are some good ones this year but no superstar caliber ones.

How is a player who is having one of the least efficient shooting seasons ever integral to this teams offense. Without Blatche, we basically go from dog **** to horse ****. Big deal. The end result is still the same: we suck ass.

You're right about us being a bad team. But I'm not sure we're bad just because of Blatche.

We're bad because of a overall lack of talent.

And fwiw, I'm not as high on John Wall as many of you guys are.

You're always asking questions, so let me ask you one. Can this team build around John Wall and be competitive? If so, how long will it take?

See man, its tough to say. I'm really not sure about building a team around a PG. There's a reason it hasn't been fully successfully done since Isiah. But times have changed in the NBA (where are all the great centers?) and I truly believe that Wall has that type of potential. I seriously love everything about him. Obviously all the physical tools are there but it's his attitude/mentality/personality that puts him over the top.

As I've said before, I think in three years he'll be universally considered the best PG in the world. So now the questtion is how fast can you build around him? And can you keep him here? In my opinion, it'll prob take 5 years to become legit contenders. Minimum. Competitive in 3.

And as long as I can actually see that we're headed somewhere I can live with that.

---------- Post added March-23rd-2011 at 12:15 AM ----------

Who's the best player to come out of the D League?

Who's the best player to come out of the D League?

First of all, I don't follow the NBDL at all. I watch like maybe 30 seconds of a game when I see it on Versus, but that is about it.

Between all the people I do know that played in the NBDL, to me, it is a toss up between Skip and Bobby Simmons. Skip was my man during that playoff run the Magic had in the 2009 playoffs. I honestly think if Nelson hadn't tried to rush back and play in the Finals, the Magic would have been more competitive.

Bobby Simmons used to get his man with the Clippers. Then he got paid with the Bucks and I haven't heard from the bamma since.

Edited by MLSKINS

The caps game got me so excited that I couldn't subject myself to watching the Wiz tonite

I watched one second and saw Gerald Wallace ugly ass body us down in the post

Did anything positive happen tonite besides J Craw ?

there was nothing positive about the game tonight...........at all

First of all, I don't follow the NBDL at all. I watch like maybe 30 seconds of a game when I see it on Versus, but that is about it.

Between all the people I do know that played in the NBDL, to me, it is a toss up between Skip and Bobby Simmons. Skip was my man during that playoff run the Magic had in the 2009 playoffs. I honestly think if Nelson hadn't tried to rush back and play in the Finals, the Magic would have been more competitive.

Bobby Simmons used to get his man with the Clippers. Then he got paid with the Bucks and I haven't heard from the bamma since.

Are you sure Bobby Simmons played in the NBDL? I remember him playing for the Wizards like 10 years ago. It doesn't seem like the D League has been around that long.

there was nothing positive about the game tonight...........at all

This. I mean when Seraphin picked up his 3rd foul and left the game with one min left in the 1st, he was leading the team in scoring with 10. When he came back in with 6 mins left in the 3rd...he was leading the team in scoring with 10.

You're right about us being a bad team. But I'm not sure we're bad just because of Blatche.

We're bad because of a overall lack of talent.

And fwiw, I'm not as high on John Wall as many of you guys are.

Yeah I agree with you that Blatche isn't the mother of all our problems, but you can't pull too much away from a blowout. The team has some talented building blocks. It needs a few more and the bench needs work, and the formula needs some tinkering to come up with the right chemistry, but mostly the team just needs time to develop.

For everyone bashing McGee, yet again, but giving Wall a pass, your agenda is now clear Wall played like utter **** last night too. Crawford too. The whole team did. Let's just scrap the whole thing and start over right? Let's trade everyone while their value is high. Wall will never be more than Mo Williams.

Honestly, some of you all are as knee jerk as the swarms in the gameday threads.

---------- Post added March-23rd-2011 at 09:46 AM ----------

I tried to defend Javale McGee on many occasions: after tonight, I won't do it anymore. I have come to a realization that he will never be an effective NBA Center. The Blazers are making him look like a poindexter out there.

Please, when did you ever try and defend McGee? You were bashing him after his good games.

---------- Post added March-23rd-2011 at 09:49 AM ----------

Yi= meh

Jordan Crawford = :D

Wait... what? Based on last night? His little 3-15 from the floor 6 turnover performance gets him a pass?

+1

Most guys on this thread have there favorite players and will defend them no matter how sucky they played. Its okay too defend a player and like players but lets get real guys McGee wasn't the reason we lost he had the best +/- out of starters which isn't saying much cause we sucked with him. We lost cause we suck and short on talent. McGee had an awful game Aldridge had his way with him, Aldridge may be the best young center/powerforward in the game outside of Dwight, he also dominated every other player that was guarding him. Nicolas Batum should not be dominating. Every game we get exposed by other teams 4th and 5th best players.

For everyone bashing McGee, yet again, but giving Wall a pass, your agenda is now clear Wall played like utter **** last night too. Crawford too. The whole team did. Let's just scrap the whole thing and start over right? Let's trade everyone while their value is high. Wall will never be more than Mo Williams.

Are we holding 3rd year players to same standard as rookies now?

The mistakes McGee makes on the court aren't due maturity or age. He's an idiot. A really really dumb individual who doesn't get it.

There is no agenda in holding different assessment criteria for players of different experience level.

Edited by No Excuses

At 17-52, are we ready for the draft yet? Some were saying at the beginning of the season, that this was a playoff calibre team and I knew it wasn't. I hate being right, because since the 1977-78 season, I've been waiting to see the team hoist another NBA trophy. We were close to being a great team in the late 90's, but it's been an uphill battle since. It's a shame that the team seems to be getting worse. Sometimes you have to get worse to get better.

Has anyone seen the new uniforms for next year? The Red, White and Blues? I'm anxious to see them.

We need to take Wall and a few others on the team and continue to build around them. I think this is an even more critical draft this year because we'll most likely be in the top 5 and we need to make that pick count. I really think Ted will turn this team around and it all starts with letting Ernie and Skip go. Ernie has done all he can and Skip just doesn't mesh with a younger roster.

the criticism of McGee goes beyond any 1 game, its a collection of what we've seen since he's been here

Three years of inconsistent boneheaded stupidity with very little signs of fixing it. The only thing he's adapted to is the speed of the game and nothing else.

The contrast already exists on our roster. Kevin Seraphin. Watch him play. He struggles because he hasn't adapted to the style of play in the NBA. Once he has that under control, he will be an effective player who isn't a detriment to the team when he is on the floor.

If in year 3, Wall, Seraphin, Crawford etc. are sucking big fat chunks, then they'll be called out accordingly.

Three years of inconsistent boneheaded stupidity with very little signs of fixing it. The only thing he's adapted to is the speed of the game and nothing else.

The contrast already exists on our roster. Kevin Seraphin. Watch him play. He struggles because he hasn't adapted to the style of play in the NBA. Once he has that under control, he will be an effective player who isn't a detriment to the team when he is on the floor.

If in year 3, Wall, Seraphin, Crawford etc. are sucking big fat chunks, then they'll be called out accordingly.

Then whats all the love for Nick Young? If hes struggling hes having a bad game and will snap out of it even though hes just as inconsistant as McGee. All the guys are young and thats the problem with this team theres no hardcore vet to set these guys straight WHO IS GOING TO LISTEN TOO YI?

Also McGee just turned 23 years old blame the way the system is where nobody is staying in college and maturing. Now 3 years in the league for some of these players are just not enough. I am not ready to give up on a 23 year old player who was suppose to be a project in this league too begin with. I Don't think its right to blame the guy for this teams failings when its a whole team as a whole.

THE TEAM SUCKS PERIOD its that simple at first everybody thought Blatche was the problem we suck just as bad without him, so they move on too McGee.

Edited by SiCkSoULjA

Are we holding 3rd year players to same standard as rookies now?

The mistakes McGee makes on the court aren't due maturity or age. He's an idiot. A really really dumb individual who doesn't get it.

There is no agenda in holding different assessment criteria for players of different experience level.

McGee is a center, that position takes much, much longer to adjust to and develop in the NBA than guard. Though this is McGee's third year, he's got basically the same number of starts as Wall and he's probably played only a relatively small number of minutes more than Wall has. He is not an experienced player and he's basically on the same career arc as Wall.

Regarding Crawford, he's 22 and McGee is 23. The gap in their experience isn't that huge. Crawford is raw as all hell too when his adjustment should have been a lot easier to make since he's an older rookie playing an easier position. Yet he gets the benefit of the doubt and McGee doesn't?

McGee is a center, that position takes much, much longer to adjust to and develop in the NBA than guard. Though this is McGee's third year, he's got basically the same number of starts as Wall and he's probably played only a relatively small number of minutes more than Wall has. He is not an experienced player and he's basically on the same career arc as Wall.

Regarding Crawford, he's 22 and McGee is 23. The gap in their experience isn't that huge. Crawford is raw as all hell too when his adjustment should have been a lot easier to make since he's an older rookie playing an easier position. Yet he gets the benefit of the doubt and McGee doesn't?

I agree with this entire post.

I just want to make it clear that I'm not bashing Wall or Crawford. I love both of those players and think they are going to be an exceptional backcourt one day. I was just using them to demonstrate the kind of attitude I think is appropriate to adopt towards McGee. I like all of our rookies and young pieces and think each of them deserve the benefit of the doubt right now. Well, I'm not a huge fan of Blatche and Yi, but aside from them, I think this team is going to be special.

We're tanking and rebuilding right now, which is a position that still isn't that familiar to Wizards fans (or D.C. fans in general) because up until this year, we're used to having lots of veterans on our teams. Ever since the gun incident and the Butler/Jamison deals, just about every facet of this organization changed. I might be a complete homer, but several meaningless late season blowouts won't sour me on our long term potential. Don't be discouraged folks, we're at the very beginning of a good thing.

Screw that. I'm going to remember the team with Rod Strickland, Juwan, C-Webb, Gheorghe, etc. It's a shame they had to face the Bulls in the first round.

I can do you one better and tell you I remember our lone championship with Bobby Dandridge, Elvin Hayes, Wes Unseld, Greg Ballard, Kevin Grevey, Mitch (GM of the Lakers) Kupchak, Phil (Color Commentator) Chenier, etc., etc. A time where men wore extremely short, "short shorts" and the players had real afros. I remember the days with Gus Williams, Jeff Malone, Moses Malone, Harvey Grant, John "hot plate" Williams, Darren Day, Tom Guggliotta, Charles Johnson, Bernard King..... Damn I'm old.

Please, when did you ever try and defend McGee? You were bashing him after his good games.

Liar.

First of all, I wasn't even posting in this thread that much this season. Secondly, I always looked at the brighter side when it came to McGee. But after seeing him consistently do some boneheaded stuff this year, I have decide that he will never be as good as he could be.

I know it takes time to develop as a center, but that is the problem, he is not developing. Last night was the last straw. He had the monstrous block, I was like cool. Then he stared the dude down and I was like, okay. Then minutes later, when I saw Gerald Wallace punk him for that offensive rebound and the easy put-back, it let me know what he was all about.

I hope I am wrong, I want to see McGee succeed; but if he isn't going to care, why should I.

Maybe I got you confused with another poster. If so I apologize and it's my mistake.

But I disagree with you because McGee isn't apathetic like you say. He does play hard. He doesn't always play smart, but you can't pin his problems on a lack of heart or competitiveness. He'll occasionally get lost on the floor but he's not a lazy player.

The showboating is part and parcel to the NBA. Everyone does it. Wall is showy too. It's part of their enthusiasm. I don't think it's right to nail McGee largely on the basis that he showboats.

I can do you one better and tell you I remember our lone championship with Bobby Dandridge, Elvin Hayes, Wes Unseld, Greg Ballard, Kevin Grevey, Mitch (GM of the Lakers) Kupchak, Phil (Color Commentator) Chenier, etc., etc. A time where men wore extremely short, "short shorts" and the players had real afros. I remember the days with Gus Williams, Jeff Malone, Moses Malone, Harvey Grant, John "hot plate" Williams, Darren Day, Tom Guggliotta, Charles Johnson, Bernard King..... Damn I'm old.

I wish I remembered the championship, but my earliest memories are of guys like the second set that you mentioned from the early 80's. Gus Williams, Jeff Ruland, Tom McMillen. Man, I loved Jeff Malone. What a great shooter. He hit what is probably my favorite shot of all time:

AT4DuvJ9yPg

Edited by lovetoaster

Maybe I got you confused with another poster. If so I apologize and it's my mistake.

But I disagree with you because McGee isn't apathetic like you say. He does play hard. He doesn't always play smart, but you can't pin his problems on a lack of heart or competitiveness. He'll occasionally get lost on the floor but he's not a lazy player.

The showboating is part and parcel to the NBA. Everyone does it. Wall is showy too. It's part of their enthusiasm. I don't think it's right to nail McGee largely on the basis that he showboats.

Hear me out on this, McGee is not soft, he does play hard. But that is in the game.

I am talking about in the gym, the weight room, etc/ His preparation seems non-existent. You just said it yourself he looks lost out there. Rather it is him or the coaches, somebody has to get him to realize that he is in the NBA. Athletic ability along would not get you far in this league.

Let's look at Dwight Howard and Amare'. These two were freaks coming out of High School. They were freaks; jumping out of the gym, over the Sears Tower, yada yada yada.There were people out there clowning both of them, saying they would never amount to nothing. So what did they do, they went to work. You can't tell me that those two haven't been getting better each year they have been in the league.

I can't say that for McGee. I know it is only his third season, but dude needs some help badly. Maybe Ted Leonsis should open his pockets and get David Robinson to help him like the Magic are doing for Howard. :whoknows: