Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Just got home from United Center. Tons of photos. I'll try to post when I'm in front of a computer tomorrow. Was one of two Wizards fans I saw there the whole time. Definitely one of the better experiences I've ever had at a sporting event. Told the guy I was sitting next to mid 4th that if we tied it up Hinrich would blow the game. You could tell he was Out of control and unable to hit an easy shot.

I can't believe I got to witness that.

Joey Crawford's horrible crew and all. Go Wiz.

Someone convince me why unloading Ariza and signing Melo wouldn't work, other than the dream of KD returning to DC in 2016.

Cause you'd have no bench, probably no Gortat, either Webster or Porter would have to go and Carmelo would want to dominate the ball. If Leonsis wasn't so shorted sighted, the Wiz would be able to build on this potential playoff success with a new competent GM and  head coach next year and position themselves well for the next few years.

• Like 1

It could work.  But webster and Nene would have to go too.

Yeah. Ariza + Nene would be 20 million, a little less than Melo would sign for. We don't have to unload Ariza, he's an impending FA. But you couldn't get rid of Webster and Nene by this summer without taking on roughly equal salary in return unless some team with a lot of cap room reeeeeeally wanted to help us out.

More likely would be letting Ariza and Gortat both walk. Then you'd probably have to deal Webster in an unbalanced trade. That's too much gutting IMO.

I don't want us to go after Melo. For me, if we're chasing a star, it needs to be Durant, Love, or DeMarcus Cousins way down the road. Durant because he's Durant and could share the team with Wall. Love because I think he might accept Wall's leadership and we need a PF more than SF. And Cousins because I know he would accept Wall's leadership and work well with him. Melo wouldn't be willing to be the beta star here. And he would gum up our offense IMO. If he opts into the final season and gave us a year to make trades for expirings and was willing to be Team USA Melo rather than Knicks or Nuggets Melo, I would be a lot more open to it. But not right now.

I think our safest and smartest course is just to keep this group together for now. Sign Gortat. And then if we're going for Ariza, sign him to a short enough deal that we can still keep the possibility of Durant open from a payroll perspective.

Marcin Gortat ‏@MGortat[/size] 

Great win for us!!! Nene was unstoppable again!!!! I have to play better ... Glad TBook got my back!

Gortat is one of my favorites. He's a true team guy. His head wasn't in last night's game, that's a good attitude about getting benched for Booker. It was the right move for the team.

• Like 1

Chicago's traps on almost every ball carrier inside the 3 pt line and in the corners were very effective. That almost totally shut us down when Wall and Nene weren't on the floor together.

We've got to prepare for these and really take advantage of the open man their strategy creates. We had trouble finding him. Gortat in particular was confused. I think this is one of the biggest things for us to prepare for, because we've got the passers and shooters to really take advantage of their aggression.

In general, during our scoring drought in the second and third, I thought we had a lot of trouble finding the open man. There were sequences where John was totally open in the corner, waving his arms like crazy and the passers just didn't see him.

In shock over the past two games. The love from Shaq and Charles. Feels like we're being messed with by the NBA gods.

Quick...Ted....change the name now when you're popular!

Washington_Federals_-US.png

849594407.gif?1398221187

Ok.....kidding on the Federals. But I had fun just flipping the colors on this pic.

Edited by @SkinsGoldPants

I'm guilty... I turned off the game late in the fourth when we were still down. I jumped back on the message boards apparently just after overtime ended and had a pleasant surprise! I just wanted to catch up on angry comments but noticed the tone shifting very quickly! Unbelievable!

Isn't it flat out amazing that we got Nene for JaVale McGee and Nick Young?

I remember saying to TRGE in a PM a year or two ago that the Nene deal was a remarkable and improbable bit of good luck for us.

How often does a team get Buyer's remorse on a guy literally within months of signing him to a 5 year deal? We were in such a bad spot with JaVale. We needed a big man, had no prospect of getting one, and were looking at having to stick with JaVale at 10+ million a year just to have someone. We never would have gotten one as good as Nene on the open market at that point.

That trade was a key change in fortune for us. We've been sweating it out since the day it was made because of his health. But Nene has been a big legitimizing factor. We got a good player and got out of our JaVale situation. Plus got rid of Nick Young in the process. That's ended up being a major win for Ernie.

Other improbable bits of good fortune:

- Trading Gil for Shard. Then trading Shard for Okafor and Ariza (a trade I slammed at the time). Then trading Okafor and the first for Gortat.

First off, I still can't believe we were able to trade Gil's contract. Thank you Otis Smith. Turrible. That was one of the biggest mistakes that led to Dwight Howard leaving Orlando too.

Second, when have the Wizards EVER been able to take another team's underperforming, overpaid players and have those guys bounce back and revive their careers and smash expectations? And yet both Ariza and Okafor did. That's when you could see the pieces falling into place and feel like our luck was changing. That trade was a major win for Ernie and pretty much none of us liked the move when it happened.

Then the final bit, we were saved by Phoenix making Gortat available. They thought they were tanking! They never would have dealt him for an injured, expiring contract and a mid first draft pick if they'd known how good their team was actually going to be.

So we got lucky again and Ernie got another win. Now we just have to finish the sequence off and get Gortat extended.

But if you think about, we got two of our key players for Gilbert Arenas's awful contract and an 18th overall pick.

Vesely for Miller already looks like a pretty impactful win for us too.

Other critical bits of luck to: winning the lottery in the John Wall year. Only moving down one spot in the Beal year, and having Charlotte take MKG instead of Beal at 2.

And then it hasn't shown up yet, but I think jumping up to 3 and getting Porter is going to end up being an important moment of luck for us too.

Of course we've had bad luck too. Dropping to six in 2011 and ending up with Vesely instead of Kanter or Valanciunas was rough. Valanciunas looks like he might be pretty special. Plus lots of injuries: Wall, Beal, Nene, and Okafor stand out.

We took a Karmic beating for three decades. 2009 was really a nadir. Maybe the Basketball Gods are rewarding our suffering?

• Like 4

Isn't it flat out amazing that we got Nene for JaVale McGee and Nick Young?

I remember saying to TRGE in a PM a year or two ago that the Nene deal was a remarkable and improbable bit of good luck for us.

How often does a team get Buyer's remorse on a guy literally within months of signing him to a 5 year deal? We were in such a bad spot with JaVale. We needed a big man, had no prospect of getting one, and were looking at having to stick with JaVale at 10+ million a year just to have someone. We never would have gotten one as good as Nene on the open market at that point.

That trade was a key change in fortune for us. We've been sweating it out since the day it was made because of his health. But Nene has been a big legitimizing factor. We got a good player and got out of our JaVale situation. Plus got rid of Nick Young in the process. That's ended up being a major win for Ernie.

Other improbable bits of good fortune:

- Trading Gil for Shard. Then trading Shard for Okafor and Ariza (a trade I slammed at the time). Then trading Okafor and the first for Gortat.

First off, I still can't believe we were able to trade Gil's contract. Thank you Otis Smith. Turrible. That was one of the biggest mistakes that led to Dwight Howard leaving Orlando too.

Second, when have the Wizards EVER been able to take another team's underperforming, overpaid players and have those guys bounce back and revive their careers and smash expectations? And yet both Ariza and Okafor did. That's when you could see the pieces falling into place and feel like our luck was changing. That trade was a major win for Ernie and pretty much none of us liked the move when it happened.

Then the final bit, we were saved by Phoenix making Gortat available. They thought they were tanking! They never would have dealt him for an injured, expiring contract and a mid first draft pick if they'd known how good their team was actually going to be.

So we got lucky again and Ernie got another win. Now we just have to finish the sequence off and get Gortat extended.

But if you think about, we got two of our key players for Gilbert Arenas's awful contract and an 18th overall pick.

Vesely for Miller already looks like a pretty impactful win for us too.

Other critical bits of luck to: winning the lottery in the John Wall year. Only moving down one spot in the Beal year, and having Charlotte take MKG instead of Beal at 2.

And then it hasn't shown up yet, but I think jumping up to 3 and getting Porter is going to end up being an important moment of luck for us too.

Of course we've had bad luck too. Dropping to six in 2011 and ending up with Vesely instead of Kanter or Valanciunas was rough. Valanciunas looks like he might be pretty special. Plus lots of injuries: Wall, Beal, Nene, and Okafor stand out.

We took a Karmic beating for three decades. 2009 was really a nadir. Maybe the Basketball Gods are rewarding our suffering?

Sounds like a pro Ernie post? Put your helmet on because theres getting ready to be a War! don't worry I have your back. '

At this point, we have to give props to Ernie and Wittman. Sure you can say Ernie got us into tough roster issues and drafted poorly, but he fixed them with minor, underrated trades. He's a sneaky trade assassin. Ernie has the best foundation he's ever had in D.C. and after this season, his next objectives are to get the Wiz a 3rd piece (Maybe Porter develops) like Durant, which will be really tough to pull off, resign Gortat and make a decision on Ariza. Is he my ideal GM to make the moves to become a contender? No, but he's going to be the one making those decisions so we might as well get behind him.  

Sounds like a pro Ernie post? Put your helmet on because theres getting ready to be a War! don't worry I have your back. '

honestly, Ernie is winning me over with the changes he's made recently.....I wanted him gone so bad