Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Which is fine... But he needs to reduce his turnovers. Wall is still very much growing into his game. One of the things that he can improve is the high turnover numbers and I think he will.

Wall is averaging 3.5 turnovers per game.

Steve Nash, in his MVP Phoenix years, averaged 3.3 and 3.5, and had a year averaging 3.8.

John Stockton had four straight years of averaging ~3.5 TO per game.

Isiah Thomas in his CAREER averaged over 3.7 TO per game.

Derrick Rose averaged 3.4 TO per game the year he won MVP.

The fact is, high usage PGs tend to have higher TO rates.

• Like 1

Bobcats and Bulls lost but the Nets won.

It's going to be a photo finish IMO. Still a lot of time left for someone to implode. And I think Toronto has some sort of edge over everyone else for the #3 seed. Really well coached team.

But I could easily see spots 4-7 changing every couple of days for the next month.

• Like 1

Wall is averaging 3.5 turnovers per game.

Steve Nash, in his MVP Phoenix years, averaged 3.3 and 3.5, and had a year averaging 3.8.

John Stockton had four straight years of averaging ~3.5 TO per game.

Isiah Thomas in his CAREER averaged over 3.7 TO per game.

Derrick Rose averaged 3.4 TO per game the year he won MVP.

The fact is, high usage PGs tend to have higher TO rates.

I was going to mention Nash yesterday, I remembered he had similar TO numbers to Wall in the Phoenix 7 seconds or less days. But I'm glad you did the research for me. I think it shows that volume in and of itself isn't that informative when you've got seasons of high quality PG play having high volume of turnovers.

For me, the guy on that list that stands out as a comparison to Wall is Rose. He's the one in the most similar role--similar playing style, similar offense, similar pace. Nash and Stockton were so different, their TOs are coming almost entirely off bad passes. Wall is doing some of everything, tons of passing and driving and late shot clock ISO creation. He's getting charges, he's getting the ball swiped as he goes to the rim with the intention of actually finishing, AND he's doing the kind of passing the pass first guys do.

I think the only problematic turnovers are the careless ones. Leaving your feet when you knew there were no passing lanes. Getting your pocket picked from inattention. Going behind your back unnecessarily. These are infrequent with Wall though.

I won't complain about the ones that come from trying to make special plays. Taking it hard to the rim, sometimes against double and triple teams. Breaking defenses down on ISOs and driving into the paint against set defenses. Throwing skip passes like a maniac. We need him to make these kinds of plays a lot or else we're easy to defend. We don't have the benefit of a second highly creative player yet.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

Yeah I agree. It's like interceptions in football. Some guys throw a lot of picks because they're super aggressive and try to fit the ball into the tightest windows. That's not necessarily a bad thing because those QBs tend to make plays way more often. I think PG-ing in the NBA is the same type of thing.

Another difference between Wall and Nash is the usage rate. Wall is more of a scorer and uses more possessions than Nash did. Wall is probably always going to be around 27-29% usage rate, which is very high. Almost as high as Rose was at his peak, when Chicago literally did not have another offensive minded player with creative ability. Nash's career is at 21, much lower. CP3's career is about 24, which is significantly lower. Wall has to walk the line between scoring and passing in a way that's different. Much like Rose in that regard. It's pretty tough.

It's also remarkable that a PG who can lead the league in assists scores as much as Wall does. And is a notable defender.

New York has won 6 in a row, has leapfrogged Cleveland, and is now breathing down ATL's neck for the #8 seed. Suddenly our remaining game against them doesn't look so easy.

You do know....they beat Mil, Bos, Phil, CLE, Utah and @Min...with only @MIN being the hard one there.....it isn't exactly like they playing even halfway decent treadmill teams. 

Knicks are a non factor, like yesterday, like today, and tomorrow and in the near future (Don't think Phil can recruit enough talent to make it work up there). 

As to Wall and his TOs, he's had good games and bad games. Obviously with the rotation in what seems like constant flux it plays a role in which passes are made, but he has a lot o weight on him as he's the only real playmaker outside of Miller, especially with Nene out. Turnovers will come down as he understands pace better, and he's show signs of slowing the game down already this season. 

Awful start offensively. And yet we're only down 4.

I like Gortat much more when he's involved in the pick and roll, I don't like him trying to post up.

Feels like he always moves away from the basket on his post ups. I don't like post fadeaways.

Gotta say, as dead as the Verizon Center could be, it was never like this place is right now. This looks and sounds like a summer league crowd.

No wonder that team is so second rate. They're playing in front of a DIII caliber atmosphere.

Beal's shot selection has been putrid this half.

So, I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere in here.... is it fairly safe to call Otto porter a bust yet? Is this team so good that he can't break the rotation?

Still too early to say, people will write this year off as him losing too much time while recovering from the hip injury.

I'll withhold judgement on a final prognosis, but he better have a great start to next season.

If the team re-signs Ariza, it probably means they have no faith in Porter's future development.

Edited by StillUnknown

So, I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere in here.... is it fairly safe to call Otto porter a bust yet? Is this team so good that he can't break the rotation?

No. Porter essentially redshirted. Wizards have Ariza and Webster ahead of him. Randy has a mandate to make the playoffs or be fired. He's going with the vets.

Porter isn't going to be a bust. They'll use him eventually. But he has work to do. He needs to get stronger, develop his three ball, develop his trail game, develop a pick and pop game, etc. But he's got the talent to be a good starter for us down the road.

Has anyone but Booker made their FTs tonight?