Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Toronto has beaten us three times this season. Convincingly. They're just better. They've got too many more good players than we do. They aren't top heavy, they're solid at every spot in the rotation.

If we get matched up with them in the playoffs we're going to lose.

We're also running out of time to close the gap on a decent seed. This three game losing streak is killing our chances at the three seed. I just don't see it happening. Coaching is killing us. Randy is not fit to be a HC. Our interior defense is bad. And our pieces don't totally fit yet. You've got a #3 overall pick rotting away on the bench because of that.

And Toronto is also much better coached than we are.

Heck no.

Randy's cheap.  :(

I don't suppose I would fire Randy right now either if I were Ted.

But I sure as **** would not extend him this summer no matter what happens for the rest of the season. I've seen enough to know Randy is not fit to be an NBA HC. Going with him in the first place was dumb.

I guess it's too late to deal Ariza too. Nobody is making any deals really. The rest of this season is going to be a drag. I hope we change things up in the offseason. Get a new coach and go after Greg Monroe.

• Like 1

****, you're right. I hadn't been watching for it until you said something.This is a problem with our spacing too. Seraphin is planted too close to the basket constantly and he doesn't move at all. Nene doesn't move.In general our players don't move. Randy's offense sucks.But it's pretty egregious. Their bigs have been camping in the lane whether we've got a big in the low post or not. They're not even making an attempt to move out of the lane.

Yeah, that was an infuriating game to watch. I woulda got run in the first half, with the non calls on Walls drives and the ticky tack stuff on Lowry drives. And the moving screens. And the straight up zone. I'm pretty sure my wife T'd me up in he living room.

Things that i hear often:

• Their bench is significantly better
  • Otto Porter is trash
  • They need to play with more energy

Im sorry, but that is some straight bull****. This can be directly pointed at Wittman. He has refused to develop our #3 pick. Now everyone discredits this guy even though he doesnt even get to be on the floor. Its incredible. He refuses to use our bench at all. Whats the point at all of bringing Rice back if he gets absolutely no burn? The other teams' benches have been better because they actually play. Our bench consists of 10-12 minutes out of Temple/Booker/Serpahin, and Webster playing 20+ min out of position and terrible defense at the 2.

Now we are heading into the playoffs limping, with losing 2 of our starting 5 in the FA looming, and the replacements have gotten no burn whatsover. On top of that, the only move we have to make to even try to make this team better has been torpedoed in every way. (trade Ariza, or trade 1st round pick). On top of it all, thanks to the new 30% increase on season tickets, our ownership believes the status quo of sub-500 play is acceptable. **** this.

• Like 3

NBATalk_Nekias ‏@ESPN_Nekias 

To trade Austin Rivers, the Pellies are willing to package D-League G Pierre Jackson with him. The Wizards are interested, per sources.

Austin Rivers sucks. There is no reason to waste cap space on him.

NBATalk_Nekias ‏@ESPN_Nekias 

To trade Austin Rivers, the Pellies are willing to package D-League G Pierre Jackson with him. The Wizards are interested, per sources.

So our plan is to get fleeced again, get rid of more assets, and bring back a bum with 3 more years on his contract that may or may not be worse than Maynor in quality of play/contract, and a guy who is lighting up the D-league, who we could have drafted instead of Rice.

And then we would have a bench that consists of 2 promising d leaguers, and 2 top picks who dont ever get to see the court and get the opportunity to improve. (Vesley doesnt count anymore).

Edited by Skin'emAlive

Yeah, that was an infuriating game to watch. I woulda got run in the first half, with the non calls on Walls drives and the ticky tack stuff on Lowry drives. And the moving screens. And the straight up zone. I'm pretty sure my wife T'd me up in he living room.

The lack of calls when we take the ball inside and ticky tack calls on our bigs has worn me down. It's been that way almost every single game. I don't know what's the systemic issue that is causing it. But we play on a tighter whistle against almost everyone else and you see it sap the aggression out of our interior D and our attempts to get the ball into the paint.

We don't scheme in enough movement in general. Our players make themselves easy to defend by camping out and watching a two man game, drive and kick, or PnR be our half court offense almost every trip down. We don't get pass or dribble penetration despite the fact we've got a group with a good BBIQ, bigs who can score in the low post, and an AS PG. Randy's coaching hampers the players when we need a coach who extracts more from his players than the sum of the parts he has to work with. We're getting less than the sum of our parts.

• Like 1

disagree completely because of how bad hte east is

I'm not saying they'll end up at like 34 wins or something but a game or two shy of .500 wouldn't surprise me. I think 39-43 is a real possibility, especially if our starting five has injury issues.

Edited by No Excuses

In rookie news, Anthony Bennett with his 2nd career double-double.

Your move Mr. Porter

It should also be noted that bigs are expected to struggle early more than wings are. Otto isn't behind, he's far behind, which is really saying something because Bennett has been awful.

I think there is still hope however because of he may be going down the same road as Lamb in OKC. He barely played in year one (6.4 minutes avg in just 23 games) but in his second year he's getting 10ppg and 22 minutes. Lamb was a wing (SG) that coming out of college had length (6-5) but was an absolute bean pole that needed to add strength. He's made strides and contrary to popular belief seems to have developed despite playing very little in year one. I think that maybe fir guys that lack significantly in strength and also lack the raw athleticism to compensate, it's better that they don't get put out there and get beat up. Basketball is so heavily dependent on confidence that I'm not sure minutes are always the best course of action. Otto is learning behind two excellent SFs that have contrasting styles and he's getting stronger and accustomed to the nightmare that an NBA schedule is on the body and mind.

I think he has a chance of making a leap from rarely seen to role player next season. He's skilled and has good BBIQ which puts him ahead of guys like Vesely in terms of development. Those things take longer to learn. The question will be if he can get strong enough and find a way to use his skills effectively. I think he's got a good shot.

I think his chances are better with a new GM and coach but that's another story.

Edited by Destino

I'm not saying they'll end up at like 34 wins or something but a game or two shy of .500 wouldn't surprise me. I think 39-43 is a real possibility, especially if our starting five has injury issues.

Last year I said we would be 25-57, we went 29-53.  I said earlier in the year (I think Steve asked me) what I predicted.  I said 39-43, but if we got some breaks, 42-40 would be the limit.

Pierre Jackson, I remember him when he was at Baylor. If that is the same person. PG right?

Man, I want Whitman gone so bad. Unfortunately, as a DC Sports fan, I can tell when it is time to move on from a coach. Other than Norv Turner and Marty Schottenhimer(sp), I pretty much knew when a coach needed to go.

With Jim Zorn, it was after Swing Gate, Shanahan needed to go after the Denver game last year. I knew Davey Johnson needed to go after last year. No point in particular, I just knew that 2013 needed to be his last year. (He thought the same thing.) I knew when Spurrier(sp) needed to go, Eddie Jordan, Manny Acta(sp), Flip Saunders, Bruce Boudreau(sp), Hunter, etc....

But in my opinion, none of them were worst than what I have seen from Whitman. I'm sorry, dude just doesn't do it for me. And I will never get excited for the Wizards again as long as that bamma is still the coach.

• Like 1

Pierre Jackson, I remember him when he was at Baylor. If that is the same person. PG right?

Man, I want Whitman gone so bad. Unfortunately, as a DC Sports fan, I can tell when it is time to move on from a coach. Other than Norv Turner and Marty Schottenhimer(sp), I pretty much knew when a coach needed to go.

With Jim Zorn, it was after Swing Gate, Shanahan needed to go after the Denver game last year. I knew Davey Johnson needed to go after last year. No point in particular, I just knew that 2013 needed to be his last year. (He thought the same thing.) I knew when Spurrier(sp) needed to go, Eddie Jordan, Manny Acta(sp), Flip Saunders, Bruce Boudreau(sp), Hunter, etc....

But in my opinion, none of them were worst than what I have seen from Whitman. I'm sorry, dude just doesn't do it for me. And I will never get excited for the Wizards again as long as that bamma is still the coach.

Grunfeld & Wittman are the only things keeping me from being all-in on this team. We have some decent ingredients, but we got a prison system chef.

20pt game, might as well let Otto off the bench.

Adam McGinnis

‏@adammcginnis

Wizards have two recent lottery draft picks that don't play in home blowout losses

This team is a joke. They are going all in just to win 40 games.  Porter is 35th in rookie scoring right now.  A high school kid could have done as much with a 6th, a 1st, a 3rd, and a 3rd as EG has.

It's hard to say...in limited minutes, he hasn't looked good.  There has to be a reason why he's getting no burn.  Obviously, you would expect for him to play in blowout wins/losses.  That hasn't happened either.  Either play the man or dangle him as trade bait.  He was the #3 pick for a reason and said to be the most NBA "ready" prospect in the draft.  Still waiting on him to show something.  Not sure what gives.