Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Yeah, Ernie is a weak drafter but he's a good trader.

He's built a good foundation nonetheless. He's had a lot of luck getting most of these players. But everyone needs luck. And the trick is seizing the opportunity when it pops up.

The roster has some issues. Nene's health is always going to loom large, particularly as he ages. Andre Miller is 38. The Ariza situation is a tough call. We do have to get a deal done with Gortat, there will be other teams like Dallas and San Antonio that will probbly be competing to sign him. Porter needs to develop. And we need to figure out what to do with the mess of rotation bigs coming off rookie deals. Who to keep, who to let walk.

And there is this feeling that we need one more big piece. And it has to be the right piece. And how are we getting it? All big questions.

But we've got Wall and We've got Beal. And we've got a great chance at keeping them for the next decade. How many other franchise's have that kind of long term security?

I'm a vulgar EG/Randy hater, but at the very least I got to give credit where credit is due. Randy is actually coaching, and coaching damn well, it is almost he is more dialed in now (just like the players). I appreciate a coach that can elevate his abilities as well. Still don't like the last play we ran in regulation, but to actually get the guys to that point is good enough.

Onto EG......I'm all in for right now, there are still flaws with this team in the long term....but the cast that is currently assembled, can hang with anyone. Pretty sure we all seen us take it to good teams and lay goose eggs against bad teams. When the guys are focused, they can ball...and it is showing, finally. We haven't even played our best game...so....I'm not quite sure what the "Ceiling" of this squad is...but it is pretty enjoyable so far. 

Wall will go off in game 3..feelin' it. 

For the record, I could forgive EG if he drafts a competent big in '15 draft class. This team has a REAL future if we find our "serve ibaka" or "taj Gibson" in that draft class. 

Nene is an awesome player, but we can't rely on him for more then 1.5 seasons I believe. 

Take it easy on the Ernie love. This team is poorly constructed for even next year. We have no idea how the roster turn around will work out. Do we bring back Andre Miller and risk that he declines even more or do we look for a better back up? If so who? 

What about Gortat? How much is he worth? Ernie has a history of bidding against himself. He recently did it with Webster. Now it looks like that Ariza may have been the smarter choice.

Which brings us to Ariza. Do you resign him? At what cost? He's the perfect wing for Wall, especially defensively. But bringing him back basically means we declare Porter a bust.

Back up PF and C is another spot. We cannot role into next year with Booker, Seraphin and Gooden. I'm not in favor of bringing back any of them because we need a stretch 4 and a versatile big who can switch to either C or PF.

This is the problem you run into when you draft like **** for years and years. You end up with aging veterans on a salary maxed out roster with little wiggle room.

The run so far is great but I'm not giving Ernie any credit until he demonstrates that he can take this current roster and upgrade it. The worst thing for him to do would be to heavily invest in this current core.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 3

Take it easy on the Ernie love. This team is poorly constructed for even next year. We have no idea how the roster turn around will work out. Do we bring back Andre Miller and risk that he declines even more or do we look for a better back up? If so who? 

What about Gortat? How much is he worth? Ernie has a history of bidding against himself. He recently did it with Webster. Now it looks like that Ariza may have been the smarter choice.

Which brings us to Ariza. Do you resign him? At what cost? He's the perfect wing for Wall, especially defensively. But bringing him back basically means we declare Porter a bust.

Back up PF and C is another spot. We cannot role into next year with Booker, Seraphin and Gooden. I'm not in favor of bringing back any of them because we need a stretch 4 and a versatile big who can switch to either C or PF.

This is the problem you run into when you draft like **** for years and years. You end up with aging veterans on a salary maxed out roster with little wiggle room.

The run so far is great but I'm not giving Ernie any credit until he demonstrates that he can take this current roster and upgrade it. The worst thing for him to do would be to heavily invest in this current core.

Thank you for being the reality check in here when it comes to EG and Wittman. They've won two playoff games against a team without their best player and they were the 5 seed in a weak conference. I'm excited for the Wiz cause young players have to get that playoff experience and winning will only attract better free agents. However, the roster isn't pretty next year and there will be other teams after Gorta, who won't be cheap and is, imo, way more important than Ariza.

You guys look at DC like its a big basketball market ITS NOT! top free agents never want to come here, we have to build a winner through the draft and trades OKC style or Grunfield style trading for assets while takin on huge contracts (Gil, Butler, Jamison, Nene). Rarely will a team luck up on a Westbrook and Durant or draft like the Spurs those GMs are the best of the best and its a very few of those.

Some idiot on twitter was saying bombs were going to explode on the Wiz flight home (to Gortat, Webster and Ariza) while threatening their kids by their full names. Full on messed up and sketchy.

Gortat responded, "keep crying!"

• Like 1

Some idiot on twitter was saying bombs were going to explode on the Wiz flight home (to Gortat, Webster and Ariza) while threatening their kids by their full names. Full on messed up and sketchy.

Gortat responded, "keep crying!"

Obviously, an empty threat...but I hope his info was passed along to the FBI.  Can't stand morons like that who take things too far.  If the FBI did get involved, here's someone who honestly wouldn't give a **** if his life got messed up from here on out. 

• Like 2

I love when people out of nowhere start talking about the Wizards. They say some of the craziest things lol

Admittedly i haven't followed the Wizards much so take what i say with a grain of salt. Being out West i don't get any of their games and they have been terrible forever. I always look at the scores and standings because i love all washington sports, but im not afraid to admit i jumped on the bandwagon and don't follow them anywhere close to the way i follow the redskins, caps or nationals. I will say this, watching the first 2 playoff games they 100% seem to have the DC sports curse where nothing is easy and it will be a heart stopping fight to the end which i just can't understand why its always like that for this area. With the capitals at this time of month, it normally results in extreme anger and frustration lol.

Edited by Zazzaro703
  • Like 1

This series is far from over......just curious though, which team would be the more favorable match up for the Wizards in the 2nd round?

Anyone but the freaking heat and lebron. I cannot stand watching his crab walk beat us with a clutch bucket at the end of the game. I think he beat the wizards with two or 3 of those when we played them in the playoffs while he was with cleveland.

• Like 1

You guys look at DC like its a big basketball market ITS NOT! top free agents never want to come here, we have to build a winner through the draft and trades OKC style or Grunfield style trading for assets while takin on huge contracts (Gil, Butler, Jamison, Nene). Rarely will a team luck up on a Westbrook and Durant or draft like the Spurs those GMs are the best of the best and its a very few of those.

Ernie is not bad at drafting. He's HORRIBLE. One of the worst in the entire NBA. I'm not counting Wall and Beal because they were both largely no brainers and you expect to find talent that high.

I'm not sure if Steve Blake was an Ernie draft pick but he is literally the only drafted player Ernie inherited  who has carved out a niche for himself in the NBA.

That level of futility creates bad teams. A team that will never attract veteran free agents. You build championship teams through drafts and trades in the NBA. You acquire assets and you trade them. You can't acquire assets if they keep turning out to be busts. You attract high quality role players in FA.

Neither of those things have happened with this team because we draft bust after bust who end up with zero trade value. We can't attract free agent veterans because we haven't been a consistent winner with high quality stars.

We finally have the chance to attract a good FA veteran class because of Wall and Beal. But we have zero assets we can trade for a disgruntled star player because we can't draft and develop talent worth a damn.

I swear, this town has some of the most short sighted fans in the entire country. I understand we've been starving for success, but being a mediocre middle of the pack team should never be the goal! I really hope the FO doesn't get complacent and just keep this aging overpaid squad intact for the future.

Edited by No Excuses

Obviously, an empty threat...but I hope his info was passed along to the FBI.  Can't stand morons like that who take things too far.  If the FBI did get involved, here's someone who honestly wouldn't give a **** if his life got messed up from here on out. 

Those aren't empty threats anymore in 2014 and i hope the FBI comes a knocking on his door.

Edited by Zazzaro703

Admittedly i haven't followed the Wizards much so take what i say with a grain of salt. Being out West i don't get any of their games and they have been terrible forever. I always look at the scores and standings because i love all washington sports, but im not afraid to admit i jumped on the bandwagon and don't follow them anywhere close to the way i follow the redskins, caps or nationals. I will say this, watching the first 2 playoff games they 100% seem to have the DC sports curse where nothing is easy and it will be a heart stopping fight to the end which i just can't understand why its always like that for this area. With the capitals at this time of month, it normally results in extreme anger and frustration lol.

I'm that way with the Caps. But I don't go around acting like I know what's going on with the Capitals. I just know they're been inconsistent pretty much. But I'm not going to act like I know their schemes and whatnot.

Just gotta take these games one at a time.  Well, for fans it's one thing to speculate about the 2nd round.  But I really hope these guys are keyed in for Friday night and don't get too far ahead of themselves.  I'm sticking w/ my prediction about the Wizards in 6. 

*Not for nothing, but Wittman has been nothing short of fantastic with some of the decisions he's made so far in the playoffs.  If the players can grow from this experience, so can the coach.  Look, I do think there needs to be an eventual upgrade...however, with the backing of his team, AND if they continue their strong play, Wittman coming back isn't the worst thing in the world.  I want team success...Wittman is a part of that.  Just like the 5 guys on the floor, I want him to do well also. 

Edited by RonArtest15

You guys look at DC like its a big basketball market ITS NOT! 

DC is a basketball city and it can be a big basketball market with some winning and some consistency. In the Gil, Antawn and Caron days, the Verizon Center had great energy and the Wizards had great attendance numbers when the team was adequate. I think it is a better basketball market than you give it credit for. The attendance has been in the middle of the pack for the last few seasons, but the team has been terrible; that will happen anywhere, no matter what market. But that speaks to the strength of the market, the attendance numbers have been solid, despite having a bad product on the floor. But when the team is better, the attendance numbers have been very good, and higher than some other traditional "big basketball markets."

Everybody likes a winner, but the Wiz have done pretty well with attendance even when they have been bad. I think DC is a good basketball market, with some potential to become an even better one in the future.  

• Like 1