Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Johnny Davis is a bust.  Does not have the athletic ability to be anything in the NBA.  Worst Wizards pick in history.  At least Vesley, Kwame, etc. had legit NBA athleticism.  Davis can't do ANYTHING on the court.

Troy Brown wasn't great or anything, but he didn't played scared out there and could handle the rock.  He's barely hanging on in the league (could never shoot well enough).  By comparison, Brown is lightyears a better prospect than Davis is. 

Edited by mhd24

2 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Just your yearly reminder....this FO decided to take Deni over Halliburton. WTF were they smoking

And Leonsis is perfectly content with it.  He stuck with Grunfeld for 18 years.  Masai & Tim Connolly (dc native) wanted nothing to do with him because he meddles and won't rebuild.  He cheapened out and went with Tommy.  The Wizards don't care about winning a title.  They want to draft choir boys who have zero athleticism and NBA talent.

Team definitely sucks at drafting, I would contend the worst in the NBA the last 30 years. So many busts.

At least we won that TBJ/Gafford trade right? Gotta find the positives lol.

What's worse is when we do draft someone great we end up getting rid of them - Rasheed Wallace and Richard Hamilton being the most obvious examples. Steve Blake also had a great career. Our front office and coaching staff have sucked for decades. 

Edited by abdcskins
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

I missed the game....but how did Johnny have 4 fouls in 8 mins of action? :ols: 

He's an utter bust.  Jordan Goodwin (G-league guy on a 2-way) is way more impressive.  At least Goodwin isn't scared on the court.  Davis hasn't done ANYTHING to suggest he should have been the pick.  Kispert (who was drafted to be a role player) never played scared last year.  Davis plays like he doesn't belong.  No reason Unseld was playing Davis over Goodwin.  Goodwin has to be killing him in practice, but it is politics a to why Davis was getting PT.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mhd24 said:

He's an utter bust.  Jordan Goodwin (G-league guy on a 2-way) is way more impressive.  At least Goodwin isn't scared on the court.  Davis hasn't done ANYTHING to suggest he should have been the pick.  Kispert (who was drafted to be a role player) never played scared last year.  Davis plays like he doesn't belong.  No reason Unseld was playing Davis over Goodwin.  Goodwin has to be killing him in practice, but it is politics a to why Davis was getting PT.  

I've avoided piling on the Davis slander, because honestly, I was in and out on summer league and preseason and wanted to actually feel what yall felt, not jus parrot to look right.

I saw his eyes several times against Indiana the other night, the analogy of a kid that snuck on the court and doesn't realize what he got himself into is spot on. He looks shook everytime they pan into his face, and ain't not such things as halfway crooks.

I keep waiting for what they saw in this guy, then I check notes on this teams drafting record and I don't think it matters.  Perfect example of not drafting for need and why, so what we needed a PG if the best prospect available if he plays like he's scared of life all the time.

Do yall better understand why I have no interest in tanking when this is what we do with our draft picks?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I've avoided piling on the Davis slander, because honestly, I was in and out on summer league and preseason and wanted to actually feel what yall felt, not jus parrot to look right.

I saw his eyes several times against Indiana the other night, the analogy of a kid that snuck on the court and doesn't realize what he got himself into is spot on. He looks shook everytime they pan into his face, and ain't not such things as halfway crooks.

I keep waiting for what they saw in this guy, then I check notes on this teams drafting record and I don't think it matters.  Perfect example of not drafting for need and why, so what we needed a PG if the best prospect available if he plays like he's scared of life all the time.

Do yall better understand why I have no interest in tanking when this is what we do with our draft picks?

By all accounts, they wanted Ivey and were trying to trade up (they had nothing to offer anyone that would have caused those teams to trade down (but that is another point)).  They wanted Davis because he was "safe", had good character, etc.  Problem is that he wasn't safe.  It is so Wizards that every other pick in the top 10 (sans Chet who is injured) is showing something.  If you tank, you get high picks to draft elite talent.  Davis was NEVER an elite talent.  Has no athleticism and couldn't shoot in college.  If they were in the 6-8 range, even the crappy Wizards FO wasn't going to take Davis over Mathurin, Sharpe, or Dyson Daniels.   The eye test shows those cats are significantly more talented.

Kispert, Troy Brown Jr, Deni, and Rui don't play scared.  They will be stars, but they look like they belong on an NBA court.  The Wizards haven't selected anyone by going for a home run since Oubre.  They prefer to take singles, but that will never get you wins in the NBA.  Worst positioned team in the NBA for the foreseeable future (with the exception of the Lakers (but they have tradeable assets in AD, and have the LA market to attract).  We are the mom & pop of the NBA.   

On 10/28/2022 at 10:05 PM, Barry.Randolphe said:

Just your yearly reminder....this FO decided to take Deni over Halliburton. WTF were they smoking

i like Deni.  I think he’s got a long career if he can ever sort out his three point shot, and I think he’s already noticeably improved in that area.  

but Halliburton was the pick.  They completely screwed that up.  This front office makes picks like they’re trying to outsmart everyone.  Never the obvious choice.  Sometimes the choice is obvious for a reason.  

On 10/28/2022 at 8:28 PM, CRobi21 said:

Johnny Davis saw a few minutes of early playing time. And it was a few minutes too many.

What a waste of a pick

he looks like Admiral Schofield did, a player destined to light it up in China.  Just doesn’t look like an NBA player right now.  I keep waiting for him to at least show that he belongs.  Rui, Kispert, And Deni looked like they needed work, but never like they couldn’t handle the size and speed of the game.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Destino said:

i like Deni.  I think he’s got a long career if he can ever sort out his three point shot, and I think he’s already noticeably improved in that area.  

but Halliburton was the pick.  They completely screwed that up.  This front office makes picks like they’re trying to outsmart everyone.  Never the obvious choice.  Sometimes the choice is obvious for a reason.  

he looks like Admiral Schofield did, a player destined to light it up in China.  Just doesn’t look like an NBA player right now.  I keep waiting for him to at least show that he belongs.  Rui, Kispert, And Deni looked like they needed work, but never like they couldn’t handle the size and speed of the game.  

Schofield is still hanging on in the NBA with Orlando.  Kind of surprised by that.  At least Orlando has a smart FO.  They have rebuilt three times since traded Howard, but they don't want to be on that treadmill.  At least they have young talent to follow (Paulo & Wagner).  Imagine if they took Giddey instead of Suggs.  They would be much further along.  

Yeah, at least Rui, Kispert, and Deni pass the eye test.  They look like NBA players.  Davis doesn't.