Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Ted will use this as an excuse for keeping Tommy. 

I hate Tommy Sheppard the GM. (He may be a perfectly decent human so I have feel compelled to distinguish) It was so ****ing obvious that the right move was to trade Beal, since ya know, signing him to a SM is dumb and the risk of an injury could destroy his trade value in the last year of his contract. I seriously hate this organization. Ted deserves a ****ty team forever and the scorn of all Wiz fans. 

Horrible horrible horrible. Just let him walk and take the L. You sign him to a max contract and they will be bottom dwellers for the next 10+ years easy. 

At this point if the Wizards win a single championship in my lifetime I will be happy. I'd say they have roughly 46 years to do so. I am not optimistic. 

• Sad 1

Can someone help clarify this for me?

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/02/four-common-misconceptions-about-nba-trades.html

Misconception #2: Injured players can’t be traded.

This misconception may be rooted in the NBA 2K video game series, which has historically prevented users from trading injured players. Despite existing in the game, this rule doesn’t exist in the real NBA.

Players involved in a trade generally must pass physical examinations with their new teams before a trade is made official, and there are certain situations in which this becomes problematic. At the 2016 trade deadline, for example, a three-team trade fell apart when the Pistons voided the agreement over the results of Donatas Motiejunas‘ physical.

More recently, the Cavaliers‘ concerns over Isaiah Thomas‘ physical last August delayed the completion of their blockbuster trade with the Celtics by a week, with Boston ultimately sending another draft pick to Cleveland to help ease the Cavs’ concerns.

In each of those cases though, the problem wasn’t that a player involved in the deal had health concerns — it was that one team was caught off guard by the extent of those health concerns. If an injured player needs to be included in a deadline deal for salary-matching purposes, there’s no rule stopping that. The team acquiring that injured player just needs to be on board — and willing to waive the requirement that the player must pass his physical

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Can someone help clarify this for me?

Which part?

there is no rule that says you cannot trade a player if they have an injury designation. 

but teams have to clear the player medically/physically. So if the player is injured, the team would have to sign off on that (and theoretically the compensation in the trade should reflect the player is currently injured. )

beal can be traded

but realistically who wants a supermax player who’s out the rest of this season and now has missed 79 games over a 3 season stretch (one season was shortened for covid so he could have missed even more over the same 3 seasons if the one was a full length season)?

his value is sunk. It’s bad enough when everyone knows you’re in a firesale. Now he’s out with a second surgery on the same wrist (even if it’s a different problem)? Hah. 

Before this year I was never onboard with the blow it up and start over. I'm in now, this is a catastrophic failure across the board. 

Trade Beal for whatever you can get, and unload as many pieces for future picks as you can. Commit to to it and ride it out like the 76ers did, or as close as you can. 

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

A lot of noise about acquiring Collins from Atlanta.  Collins is a good player, but I don’t love him at $25M a year.

It speaks volumes about Tommy's drafting that the team feels it needs to trade for a PF to get an upgrade. The Wiz have 6 guys (Kuz, Rui, Deni, Harrell, Bertans, Todd) that could play that position. Don't tell me Harrell is really a center or one of these guys could play SF too. That misses the entire point.