Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Movies that you had your hopes up for...and were disappointed.

Spaceman Spiff

Again do not see how anyone couldnt like Inglorious Basterds I watched it again just the other day for probably the 10th time and still found myself interested and laughing at all fo the jokes even though I knew they were coming.

As for Heat...I felt like I saw that already when it was Point Break! every bank heist movie after that has fallen short in my opinion after that!

I thought Ritcheous Kill was very good as well.....was it the best work of Deniro and Pachino? Probably not but it wasnt mailed in and I like the plot and story.

What does that have to do with religion ?

Nothing. It's just the way YOU interpreted it.

I think you're misinterpreting here, not any "religion" in the sense of Hinduism, or Christianity, etc. but rather the religion of the Jedi. The Jedi order is very much a religious order, why do you think it's referred to in that manner throughout the OT?
The opening scene with the Jew Hunter and the French Dairy farmer was absolutely brilliant. I find it hard to believe you are a Tarantino fan.

I will say the movie dragged somewhat with Shoshanna or whatever her name was in the middle of the movie... but overall a great flick

I think for me, the way the movie was marketed and the way the movie was is the big disappointment for me. I'm not saying IB was a bad movie, I'm just saying it wasn't the movie I thought it was going to be.

SF13, I look at this ( http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=jedi+religion&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=C7Gw08LOYTO2eBZDezASoiailBQAAAKoEBU_Q-t7N ) and think you and he are both crazy (as those people) if that is the way you look at it.

So is being a Sigma Nu could be considered a religion as well right ?

It's a group of people with similar beliefs, it can simply be that or escalate into something more including religion.

I look at it as a movie trying to explain an allegiance to beliefs. Not a religion. There is no God in this religion. no devil, no heaven, no hell. Just shared ideas.

SF13, I look at this ( http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=jedi+religion&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=C7Gw08LOYTO2eBZDezASoiailBQAAAKoEBU_Q-t7N ) and think you and he are both crazy (as those people) if that is the way you look at it.

So is being a Sigma Nu could be considered a religion as well right ?

It's a group of people with similar beliefs, it can simply be that or escalate into something more including religion.

I look at it as a movie trying to explain an allegiance to beliefs. Not a religion. There is no God in this religion. no devil, no heaven, no hell. Just shared ideas.

:doh:

you've got be kidding me,

FROM A FICTIONAL STANDPOINT.

for the love of God :ols:

edit: methinks you're taking this WAY to literally.

in the fictional star wars universe, the fictional Jedi belong to their fictional order, which they (the fictional jedi) follow like a religion.

Starship Troopers the movie became a critique of the book (and all sorts of **** like fascism, imperialism blah blah blah).

If you watch through that lens it's kind of cool, if you're into ironic academic stuff

still, kind of dumb how they didn't give them any trucks or tanks

The only mistake with ST is that it has Heinlein's name on it. It isn't an adaptation of his novel, just using some basic premises from the book for Verhoeven to bring his own ideas onto the big screen.

As for my own personal disappointments: Matrix Revolutions was a huge disappointment after potentially setting up some cool stuff with the previous film. I'll now no longer watch anything but the original film, which works fine on its own merits. What Dreams May Come was also a disappointment for me. After seeing the amazing trailers I had high hopes that it was going to be good, but I was really disappointed in the direction the film went in.

But, in this day and age when you find out a lot about a film before it is released, it is hard to keep expectations high and have them be dashed. Often, you know if a film is a turkey before it gets released. What happens more often is that you find out a film that didn't do well in the box office is actually pretty good. Speed Racer and Gattica come to mind.

Inglourious Basterds was even better than I thought it would be. Awesome movie.

And I agree with those who said The Hurt Locker was disappointing. So much hype for such a boring movie. The scene where the guy is diffusing the car bomb was cool, but other than that it was a snoozefest.

Oh, and I saw Devil on Saturday. Not sure why I had my hopes up.

Here are a couple points, among many reasons, I think the movie "Heat" just blows: 1) assemble an "all star" cast and assume you have a good movie (this happens all the time when directors stack the deck and then deliver drivel 2) one of the most boring chase scenes in modern movie memory (the part where they're chasing each other on the airport runway). I nearly feel asleep during what should have been the movie's climax. Go back and watch this again objectively, it's a real letdown.

Seeing someone list Inglorious ****s is disappointing.

I'll start with the SW prequals. Too much CGI, not enough story. Lucas failed to recapture the awesomeness of the originals. Really, he struck gold with that original cast. The character development/plot(was there a plot?) in the new movies is horrid by comparison.

Next is Max Payne. Alright, so I knew hollywood would rape this video game translation like they do with every other one. For those of you who have never played Max Payne, it had a very good story, and would have been a great action/thriller if they had just followed the game to a T. They didn't and it had flying things and characters that never existed and a completly ****ed up story. I actually left the theater more angry then disappointed.

I'll end with Transformers (1&2, but 2 especially). I grew up on the cartoons on VHS and then later on tv with Beast Wars and just loved them. I mean really, what kid doesn't like a truck that transforms into a robot that shoots things. Awesome. Anyways, these new movies had too much human BS drama, not enough robots fighting each other. When the robots were fighting each other, you couldn't tell who was who anyways. Michael Bay pretty much ruined it. He's kind of like Geroge Lucas lite except he's never had a great film, some good ones sure, but no original SWs in his portfolio.

Honorable mention to Spiderman 3/Xmen 3....neither was as good as I was hoping for. I don't really need to expand much on it, they were both just very forgettable movies to me.

Archived