Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.Com Gil Brandt has Skins ranked at 21st..Crazy

REDALERT

Craziness

How is it we were ranked somewhere between #5 last year and drop in this guys opion to #21 just because we lost Marvin Lewis. Also, if will still had gardener would we be ranked somewhat higher even if he was hurt? I think so.....

But thus is just cazy..we get no respect. Can someone please post this on the defensive players of the Redskins lockers plaese.

He seems to be talking about fantasy points and the Redskins haven't been a great fantasy defense. Very few turnovers created last year. Only one defensive touchdown all year. No shutouts. Until we actually start generating more turnovers and scoring points defensively this is pretty accurate. We may well be ranked statistically much higher, but, fantasy defenses score points. We don't really.

Jets are #9 defense after being 24 last year? :jetssuck:

New England has a great defense, I guess that's why they panicked and grabbed a washed up Ted Washington to fill one of their big holes... :lol:

Atlanta #11? :smoke:

Indy, Denver, Buffalo, Jacksonville, St. Louis and CINCINNATI has a better defense than the Redskins this year? :puke:

And we are READING this trash?!! :doh1:

The only thing that surprises me about this article is that he didn't rank the Chiefs above us! :whew:

Originally posted by Joe7

Jets are #9 defense after being 24 last year?

Oakland is #10?

Atlanta #11?

Indy, Denver, Buffalo, Jacksonville, St. Louis and CINCINNATI has a better defense than the Redskins this year?

And we are READING this trash?!!

Understand the concept of fantasy football my friend.

Sorry, I don't play fantasy. Don't you get any points though for lower points allowed? And who here thinks Cincy will be better in ANY defensive catagory than the Skins this year? They lost their best defensive player.

Originally posted by Joe7

Sorry, I don't play fantasy. Don't you get any points though for lower points allowed? And who here thinks Cincy will be better in ANY defensive catagory than the Skins this year? They lost their best defensive player.

They lost their best player, but they did soften the blow by getting Kevin Hardy, they got a decent corner in Tory James, and a good young DT in John Thornton. Probably not, but odds are they'll score more defensive TDs and create more turnovers. Skins D doesn't do that too much.

The Redskins are a poor fantasy defense because:

- they don't get a lot of sacks as a team (look at our D-line for crissakes!);

- they don't generate a lot of turnovers;

- their lack of turnovers means that they don't score very much either;

- they tend to allow more, not fewer points (some leagues reward for few points against).

Defense is one area in fantasy where reality doesn't necessarily resemble fantasy all that closely.

because all the fantasy BS goes on the basis of glitz numbers like sacks and interceptions. Champ may get 3 or 4 picks because teams don't throw on him. And of course we don't have the 14 sack BMOC like KGB or Hugh Douglas to boost the rush totals.

the Redskins defense will be effective by limiting opportunities and not allowing teams to get easy points.

it will not be a defense based on individual playmaking, with the exceptions of Arrington and Bailey.

Originally posted by bulldog

the Redskins defense will be effective by limiting opportunities and not allowing teams to get easy points.

Bulldog,

That's the fallacy of defensive ranking based on yards. There is no way that the 'Skins were, in reality, the fifth best defense in the league last season. They gave up a lot of points (365), many due to offensive turnovers providing a short field. Thus, yards are kept down, increasing the defenses' ranking even though they aren't making stop - thereby giving up points and contributing to losses.

The "glitz" categories are what makes a defense good (in reality). Sacks, turnovers and points allowed are the hallmarks of a good defense. If you're bottom third of the league in those categories, but top third in yards allowed, my guess is that the team lost a lot of games. Redskins offense averaged 19 points per game last season, and the defense allowed an average of 22 points per game, 21st in the league. Even these numbers are not totally accurate, as they include ST scores as well.

If a team doesn't get many sacks or turnovers and allows a lot of points, how is this a top defense, in reality?

Archived