Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

follow the bouncing Dalton...

maybe you guys can help me understand this. ok, Lional Dalton becomes available because the broncs are unhappy with him and stocked well at DT. plus he makes too much for what he brings (in their eyes). we inquire about him or they offer...whatever. we do some investigation and it is reported that Marvin Lewis does not give him a glowing recommendation (don't know if this is fact but it was in the wpost). we seem to lose interest unless the price is really cheap.

meanwhile, last season at some point, Dalton and Mcglockton were raising hell for Denver's top ranked defense by stuffing the run. about mid-season people started to throw on them and all hell broke loose as the defense slipped badly. Dalton claims he had problems with his ankles from carrying too much weight ( 335lbs.) he and Mcglockton apparently didn't provide any pass rush (duh..they are run stoppers) so Dalton was benched and both were shown the door.

Dalton, who admits he tends to overeat, loses 30lbs. in an attempt to fit in with Denver's new emphasis on attacking and quickness and generating more pressure. he comes to camp around 309lbs. no matter, cause the broncos have younger and cheaper guys who they feel are more talented and have more upside.

does Lional Dalton stink, is he average. is he a great run defender with no pass rush. if he is a B+ player against the run then he is most welcome here. he doesn't seem to ever have displayed pass rush skills. will the lighter weight make him more effective???

thoughts anyone, clarifications??? why did we obtain someone we SEEM to think little of??? my gut tells me he will help but who knows?

Originally posted by AzSkinsFan63

no matter how you slice it..

the fact Dnver didn't want to trade Dalton to a division rival speaks volumes to me..

yeah...I wasn't too high on trying to acquire Dalton but that does seem to raise my opinion of him somewhat. Unless of course they were blowing smoke up our ass again.

I think the Skins front office simply wouldn't pull the trigger when the Broncos were trying to extort us. We held our ground and got a better deal out of this for not entering a panic. I'm not crazy about Dalton. I don't know that he really adds anything here, but, he's a competent body, if not a high quality one, and clearly the Broncos didn't want to risk having him play against them with Kansas City. That does matter.

Geeez...600+ lbs in the middle (Chase, Dalton). Hell, with that type of beef up front I couldn't care less about what the broncos feel about him. Sure he may not have fit in exactly with what the broncos were trying to accomplish (smaller more athletic DTs). But his talents seem to mesh well with our system. That kind of size in the middle has to be accounted for! Thus, leaving free reign for our LB's *LAVAR*:cool:. And even if these guys aren't exactly what you would call first tier DTs, you have to admitt that our ability to constantly interchange fresh bodies will prove beneficial when the going gets tough. You gotta love it!

Actually, we don't know what Marvin Lewis said about Dalton. It could have been "He's a pretty good DT but I wouldn't pay too much for him"

Clearly though the FO thinks he is better than one of the guys we have here now. That's OK by me.

I was discussing this transaction with a friend, and there was a bit of confusion around the possibility of giving up a 5 round pick. He thought we did not have one this year because of the Morton deal; I thought we had acquired a 5 round last year from the Pats that we gave up for Morton.

Anyone have any clarification on this?

So at this point, we have a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 in next year’s draft ?

Archived