Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dallas News: 'Really dumb' decision at end of half dooms Cowboys

Califan007 The Constipated

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/091310dnspocowlishaw.2ad221a.html

Sometimes 60 minutes of football comes down to one terrible decision by the offensive coordinator. Sometimes one chorus of "Hail to the Redskins" after a touchdown is all that it takes.

The Cowboys gave the Washington Redskins seven points on the last play of the first half, and in a game in which both offenses were supremely challenged, that was the difference.

Dallas was a 13-7 loser at FedEx Field on a night when, well, you can't say the Cowboys deserved to win, but they certainly weren't destined to lose.

Not until one ridiculous call, anyway.

At times the easiest and the most unfair criticisms are directed at NFL coordinators, even those blessed with as much talent as Jason Garrett. The Cowboy lose one week and the critics say they didn't run the ball enough. Another defeat leads to accusations that Garrett never let Romo sits to pee get untracked.

This is not one of those occasions.

In a situation where the only reasonable thing for the Cowboys to do was to have Tony Romo sits to pee take a knee, Garrett called a pass play. This was 64 yards from the Redskins' goal line and with four seconds to go in the first half.

And instead of heaving a deep ball, Romo sits to pee threw short to Tashard Choice. Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall stripped Choice of the ball, recovered the fumble and ran 37 yards for Washington's only touchdown of the night.

The game would end with Garrett and the offense getting a chance at redemption – one final shot at the Washington end zone from the 13-yard line. But a holding call on tackle Alex Barron kept Romo sits to pee's final pass to Roy Williams in the end zone from meaning anything.

There was some measure of justice in that. You simply don't deserve a shot to win when you make a call as brutally bad as the one Garrett called at the end of the half.

He had called a strange game already, focusing on lots of screens and quick passes to receivers at the line of scrimmage. Garrett seemed to lack faith in the Cowboys' retooled offensive line being able to hold off the Redskins' pass rush for more than two seconds.

And in some cases, it looked like that was a safe assumption.

But given that, there's no reason to try to throw a short pass and hope that Choice goes 64 yards with it. Down 3-0, the Cowboys would have looked like a team just waiting to get started in the second half.

Down 10-0, they looked like a team in trouble. And they were

"They've got to take a knee," ex-coach Tony Dungy said on NBC at halftime. "Not smart football."

Former safety Rodney Harrison was even stronger in his condemnation of Garrett's call.

"What are they thinking? There's absolutely no chance of scoring," Harrison said. "This has to be one of the dumbest plays I've ever seen."

Click link for more...

Dallas went out of their way to beat themselves - 12 penalties for 91 yds. That is a lot for two games. If Alex does not hold Orakpo on the last play - Orakpo probably drills Romo sits to pee so far into FedEx field he would probably still be there. Same with most of their other holds - trying to save the sack.

I love how nobody is giving credit to Hall for making a great play. These mediots are acting like the Cowboys just left the ball on the ground for Hall to pick up and run. Yes it was a dumb decision by Dallas but Hall MADE that play a dumb decision with his fantastic ball hawking. Give him some credit.

I love how nobody is giving credit to Hall for making a great play. These mediots are acting like the Cowboys just left the ball on the ground for Hall to pick up and run. Yes it was a dumb decision by Dallas but Hall MADE that play a dumb decision with his fantastic ball hawking. Give him some credit.

I didn't see the game on TV, but that's par for the course.......

This notion that the Cowboys "didn't deserve to win" is ridiculous.

In spite of all of the penalties and handing 7 points to Washington, they totaled almost 400 yards of offense and kept the Redskins out of the end zone. How does a team deserve to lose when doing that? Typically when a defense doesn't give up a TD, they deserve to win. Only when it comes to Dallas does this not hold true.

In spite of all of the penalties and handing 7 points to Washington, they totaled almost 400 yards of offense and kept the Redskins out of the end zone. How does a team deserve to lose when doing that? Typically when a defense doesn't give up a TD, they deserve to win. Only when it comes to Dallas does this not hold true.

Yeah... And the only way your offense scored was after a shanked punt put them on the 35. And we had guys open for a TD but they dropped the ball.

See, I can say what if as well. But guess what? None of it happened. Your offense was stuffed when it came to points. Sure they moved the ball, but our D held you out of even good FG range outside of the one chance.

Typical Cowboy fan... The greatest team ever that has never done anything, and should never lose a game. The heavens are against you.... :ols::ols:

Yeah... And the only way your offense scored was after a shanked punt put them on the 35. And we had guys open for a TD but they dropped the ball.

See, I can say what if as well. But guess what? None of it happened. Your offense was stuffed when it came to points. Sure they moved the ball, but our D held you out of even good FG range outside of the one chance.

Typical Cowboy fan... The greatest team ever that has never done anything, and should never lose a game. The heavens are against you.... :ols::ols:

blah blah blah....

If I read the stats to you without you knowing the outcome, you would have guessed the cowboys won. Period.

blah blah blah....

If I read the stats to you without you knowing the outcome, you would have guessed the cowboys won. Period.

Great rebuttal. Here is a better one: The most important stat: Redskins 13 - Cowboys 7.

Yards dont matter, the points allowed do. And the Redskins are just better at putting up those points as a team. :ols: We also know how to get turnovers, and ACTUALLY have a solid O-line. Good luck losing to the Bears. :pfft:

blah blah blah....

blah blah blah....

If I read the final score to you without you knowing the stats, you would have guessed the redskins won. Period.

And FYI, ain't nothing gifted to us, D.Hall stripped your dude like he owed him money!

wheres_my_moneyaqi9cq3isp44sgc8ccgwwskgo6ylu316ao144c8c4woosog48wth.jpg

Lol, Tashard you got money for fake mustaches, where's my ball!

Great rebuttal. Here is a better one: The most important stat: Redskins 13 - Cowboys 7.

Yards dont matter, the points allowed do. And the Redskins are just better at putting up those points as a team. :ols: We also know how to get turnovers, and ACTUALLY have a solid O-line. Good luck losing to the Bears. :pfft:

Thanks!

My point is only to the ridiculous notion that the Cowboys "didn't deserve to win". If they had the skins offensive and defensive numbers, I could see that point. But reality suggests that it is a dumb statement from a moron sports writer.

Thats all, no reason to get excited.

blah blah blah....

If I read the final score to you without you knowing the stats, you would have guessed the redskins won. Period.

And FYI, ain't nothing gifted to us, D.Hall stripped your dude like he owed him money!

wheres_my_moneyaqi9cq3isp44sgc8ccgwwskgo6ylu316ao144c8c4woosog48wth.jpg

Lol, Tashard you got money for fake mustaches, where's my ball!

You should definitely post more because you are really good at it.

So touchy for winning a game, no? simple point was in reference to the writers phrase that was highlighted stating the Cowboys didn't deserve to win. It is a ridiculous statement.

Try to keep up.

You should definitely post more because you are really good at it.

So touchy for winning a game, no? simple point was in reference to the writers phrase that was highlighted stating the Cowboys didn't deserve to win. It is a ridiculous statement.

Try to keep up.

Boo hoo, snarkiness masking the fact that you are probably crying on your keyboard right now? Don't be mad your team got it handed to them all night, we took it from you plain and simple. Live with it.

Boo hoo, snarkiness masking the fact that you are probably crying on your keyboard right now? Don't be mad your team got it handed to them all night, we took it from you plain and simple. Live with it.

I'm surprisingly fine with it So I think you are wrong about that. I would be more upset if we just got rolled but we did more to assist in the win than you guys did to actually win it. It is all correctable.

Thanks!

My point is only to the ridiculous notion that the Cowboys "didn't deserve to win". If they had the skins offensive and defensive numbers, I could see that point. But reality suggests that it is a dumb statement from a moron sports writer.

Thats all, no reason to get excited.

I dont think that is so far fetched.

IF Armstrong doesnt drop that sure TD, and IF the punter doesnt shank that punt, its 20 - 0 in the 4th. Which means the only reason it was close was because mistakes that the Redskins made, not plays the Cowboys made. Which means, the Cowboys didnt deserve to win. Thats not even counting the 2 dropped interceptions on that last drive. They shouldnt have even had a chance to win it, but the Redskins gifted it to them on a silver platter and the Cowboys couldnt even do it then.

IF Armstrong doesnt drop that sure TD, and IF the punter doesnt shank that punt, its 20 - 0 in the 4th. Which means the only reason it was close was because mistakes that the Redskins made, not plays the Cowboys made. Which means, the Cowboys didnt deserve to win. Thats not even counting the 2 dropped interceptions on that last drive. They shouldnt have even had a chance to win it, but the Redskins gifted it to them on a silver platter and the Cowboys couldnt even do it then.

This is exactly right, it was given to them. Heck, we had multiple tries for turnovers, tds, and field goals, all of which we squandered. We almost gave it to them, but in the end the better team won because we took it to them on both sides of the ball, enjoy Ken!

please, the cow****es didnt "hand" us 7 points. we TOOK it from them. dont diminish a great defensice play just because it exploited a terible call by your OC and bad decision by Romo sits to pee in not sliding. 95% of the time that play ends with choice going out of bounds. HOWEVER, Hall had the presence of mind to take the ball from him (with help). it was good defense, not a gift.

please, the cow****es didnt "hand" us 7 points. we TOOK it from them. dont diminish a great defensice play just because it exploited a terible call by your OC and bad decision by Romo sits to pee in not sliding. 95% of the time that play ends with choice going out of bounds. HOWEVER, Hall had the presence of mind to take the ball from him (with help). it was good defense, not a gift.

You are right, it was a great play by Hall. We should have never given them that chance is my point.

IF Armstrong doesnt drop that sure TD, and IF the punter doesnt shank that punt, its 20 - 0 in theJdrive. They shouldnt have even had a chance to win it, but the Redskins gifted it to them on a silver platter and the Cowboys couldnt even do it then.

Not sure which Armstrong 'Drop' you are referring to but if it was the two consecutive lobs to him in the end zone, those were defensed by Jenkins.

There is no guarantee that the Cowboys wouldn't have driven down the field and scored anyway on the shank.

The first one hit him right in his hands and he just dropped it. Jenkins had nothing to do with that one. The second one he covered. If you watch the replay you would see that.

And they hadnt driven down the field and scored a touchdown in the preseason let alone in that game. So everything indicated that would happen.

They have 2 TD drives, 8 yards, and 35 yards. I think those "stats" backup my assessment pretty well.

Edit for picture of 1st pass. Straight drop, should have been 6.

350x.jpg

Huh??? The object of the game isn't to amass total yards. The object of the game is to score more points than your opponent. The Cowboys scored 7 points. Let me repeat that. The Cowboys scored 7 points. How many games do teams win when they score 7 points? Seriously. The Cowboys did not deserve to win. The Skins may not have deserved it either but they did more than the Cowboys...and look, they did.

Credit? For what? He is a Redskin, we dont get credit for crap, even if we won the NFCE championship.

Huh??? The object of the game isn't to amass total yards. The object of the game is to score more points than your opponent. The Cowboys scored 7 points. Let me repeat that. The Cowboys scored 7 points. How many games do teams win when they score 7 points? Seriously. The Cowboys did not deserve to win. The Skins may not have deserved it either but they did more than the Cowboys...and look, they did.

Obviously....you won..

But to say Dallas didn't "deserve" to win is absurd. This statement is only based on the original article. When I think of a team not deserving to win, it is because they were outplayed on 1 or more sides of the ball and got lucky. This doesn't pertain in this case. The Bears yesterday, they didn't deserve to win. CJ had that touchdown and it should not have been taken away.

It all just my opinion.

Archived