Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How about moving the NFL Europe....well....to the U.S.?

@DCGoldPants

From Funky Winkerbean...I mean John Clayton.

Aug. 19, 2003

Future of NFL Europe to be discussed

A working committee of NFL general managers will meet in Chicago on Wednesday to brainstrorm about the future of NFL Europe. Many of the general managers are in favor of keeping the developmental league and are expected to offer suggestions to commissioner Paul Tagliabue about ways to improve it. Tagliabue is a big believer in NFL Europe. But there is a growing number of owners and front office executives who would like to either shut down the league or try to move the spring league to the United State. No vote will be taken until owners meet in October.

If they moved an NFL Europe(not called that anymore of course) franchise to this area for Spring ball.....would you go to see the games? What if Snyder let a team play at FedEx but they we're connected to the Skins Franchise at all? Would you go and root for the local boys?

I think I would.....I bet they could get a lot of fans in the spring to go and watch that stuff.

Theyd have to play all there games in extreme heat. Im not really sure how hot it is in Europe during our Summer, but I've always thought that was a reason we had our NFL games over there. Maybe its the same and I'm wrong though. Maybe I'm right but the heat doesn't matter as much as I think. I definately wouldnt go to the games, but I'd watch and enjoy them more than I do with them being in Europe.

Absolutely would love to have a "minor league" NFL team to root for. A redskins farm team would be awesome. I just can't root for a team from a town I've never been to. I firmly believe the XFL would have worked if they had marketed it as a minor league, or prep league, and not tried to convince everyone that it was superior to the NFL.

Originally posted by WallyG3

Absolutely would love to have a "minor league" NFL team to root for. A redskins farm team would be awesome. I just can't root for a team from a town I've never been to. I firmly believe the XFL would have worked if they had marketed it as a minor league, or prep league, and not tried to convince everyone that it was superior to the NFL.

The XFL....LOL...Now that was comedy:rotflmao:

i too have been thinking about this. NFL farm teams... kind of like AAA baseball. we all know that there are enough players out there who want to make it, they just need more opportunities. and not this arena, 50 yard indoor war, crap. i want football. on grass. and i want it nearby.

if they did something like this they could expand the draft again to 12 or so rounds. each franchise gets to field a minor league team and i would get to watch football more often! it's a win-win situation.

honestly, i would much rather watch AAA football in the early summer than MLB.

I'd love to see a minor league come in from March 1st to like the end of May. When the SB is over I kinds of live in a funk for a few weeks because of no football. Madden on the PS2 is the only thing that keeps my sanity. I'm not only a Skins fan. I'm a football fan in general. I love the game.

It's good that they recognize themselves as inferior to the NFL. Remember the WFL, USFL and XFL have all tried to compete and all have been crushed by the 800 pound gorilla.

SlinginSammy, I'm guessing when you speak of WFL, you mean the World League of American Football. That was owned by the NFL, it's now called NFL Europe. However, I would love to see 32 NFL Europe (not called that of course) teams, and have at least half of them in the U.S. We can make it the World League again, because it seems in some of the countries, like Barcelona, that the people enjoy real football too.

Originally posted by Bufford T Justice

if you start in March and play through May. All southern teams in domes .....then we'd be ok.

Put a team in D.C., Pittsburgh, KC, San Fran, Houston, Atlanta, New England and maybe a few cities who have no teams.

I think they would be better off putting teams in non-NFL markets to grow more interest, just affiliate each team with an NFL team. Put cities in the 50-100 range in total population in the mix, but don't rule out an LA team, a NY/NJ team, a DC/Balt team, a Orlando, Portland, or San Antonio perhaps.

Originally posted by Symbol

SlinginSammy, I'm guessing when you speak of WFL, you mean the World League of American Football. That was owned by the NFL, it's now called NFL Europe. However, I would love to see 32 NFL Europe (not called that of course) teams, and have at least half of them in the U.S. We can make it the World League again, because it seems in some of the countries, like Barcelona, that the people enjoy real football too.

No I was talking about the World Football League from the early and mid 70's. It folded after a few years.

World Football League website

Yeah, this is the same thing that I have been thinking about all offseason. While the teams are over there in Europe, I have no loyalty to any teams and I dont wanna just pick a team out of a hat. We could easily put up a minor league team. The initial costs would be cheap. It wouldn't work at FedEx field. Or at least the stadium wouldn't be sold out like it is for the Redskins. I think that expecting something like 10,000 to 20, 000 would be reasonable and that may be pushing it.

Add me to the chorus of NFL "minor league" (potential) groupies. It would really be great both for fans and players. Fans wouldn't have to go into football withdrawal:twitch: in February and NFL teams would then have a way to develop young/raw talent.

Additionally, it might allow for decreasing the preseason games to 2 and increasing the regular season to 18 games since coaches would have a better idea where they stand with most of their young players.

Thinking about it, the NFL Europe stateside could become a true developmental league for UDFA, late picks and practice squad types.

Depending on the number of teams we could see teams with the left coast offense or marvs defense if not just stocking a local team NFL Euro then using a stripped down version of the fun and gun.

The Washington Warriors AFL team would be DOA like the WNBA.

Archived