Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Scouts Inc:(NFC East) Ranking The Back Up QB's

JustAfan47

By Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson

3. Washington Redskins: Grossman once led the Bears to the Super Bowl. But inconsistency and injuries have hurt his career. He has always been someone who runs either hot or cold. And his confidence seems to waver. The Redskins’ coaching staff, namely offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, is very familiar with Grossman and seems to believe in him. However, he doesn’t move as well as he once did. He’s also short for the position and can struggle to see the entire field and find throwing lanes. And his 54 percent career completion percentage and 33/36 touchdown/interception ratio doesn’t exactly inspire a lot of confidence.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast

The pukes are number 1 witch I agree with. After that I really believe that you can just about put these guys in any order you want and make a good debate on why they should be there. :pfft:

I like Vick the best too (at least to finish a game/play a couple games). I'd put Kitna second and Grossman third.

I don't like any of the options if you're talking about more than two weeks!

Yeah I'd probably :pooh: my pants every game they played of fear they are just going to throw pickles all day long!!.. :(

Vick was never a good QB in his prime. Now, he isn't as fast as he used to be, and his arm will only win one, maybe two games a season. Vick is NOT the best backup in this division.

Agreed. Right now, I'd honestly say Rosenfels is the best backup in the division right now, followed by Kitna, Grossman, and Vick last.

Agreed. Right now, I'd honestly say Rosenfels is the best backup in the division right now, followed by Kitna, Grossman, and Vick last.

Obviously the Gguys agree with you - they gave up a bit to get Sage (The team has confirmed the deal, saying Rosenfels and running back/kick returner Darius Reynaud were dealt for a 2011 draft pick and a conditional 2012 pick). But they got help where they needed it too. They really needed a solid backup QB.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/09/03/sage-rosenfels-reportedly-traded-by-vikings-to-giants/

I was a bit surprised, but the Vikes did draft from depth so sounds like a pretty fair trade and NY was not going to get anybody better at this point.

Why is Kitna viewed as undeniably better than Grossman? Kitna's career winning percentage is abysmal. His QB rating is subpar (so is Rex's). They are both turnover machines (Kitna averages roughly 1.5 picks and 1 fumble per game, Rex averages 1 pick and 0.5 fumble per game). Who do you think is better right today: an old guy who at his peak was a bottom tier starter, or a guy a couple of years younger who might catch a second wind in an offensive system he's been in for 2 years now?

I'm not saying Rex is definitely better. I'm saying that there's a very good argument to be made that Rex is better. Cmon...it's Kitna, for crying out loud.

Why is Kitna viewed as undeniably better than Grossman? Kitna's career winning percentage is abysmal. His QB rating is subpar (so is Rex's). They are both turnover machines (Kitna averages roughly 1.5 picks and 1 fumble per game, Rex averages 1 pick and 0.5 fumble per game). Who do you think is better right today: an old guy who at his peak was a bottom tier starter, or a guy a couple of years younger who might catch a second wind in an offensive system he's been in for 2 years now?

I'm not saying Rex is definitely better. I'm saying that there's a very good argument to be made that Rex is better. Cmon...it's Kitna, for crying out loud.

I think it's a lot to do with people sticking with the anti-homerism that has percolated through these boards for the past who knows how long...anything on the Skins is the worst in the NFCE by default.

It's not anti-homerism. I simply think NY and Dallas may have better backups than Washington and Philly. (Side-topic: Can you be anti-homer about a former Redskin?)

I thought --based on his Houston days-- that Rosenfels was nearly good enough to be a starter for Minny, but he wound up having to take a backseat to Favre. (Frankly, I think the Vikings made a mistake in trading Sage.) In some ways, Rosenfels could have been a better fit at backup in DC, but evidently we'd already put our eggs in the Grossman basket. IMO, ...Giants gain, Redskins' loss.

Now, I may be overrating Kitna because I'm still basing my views on Kitna from his Cincy days -- but he seemed to me be be like that 'top-tier journeyman QB' -- a gritty pro QB who would go in and try to do whatever was asked of him and do it fairly decently. IMO, Cincy didn't have too balanced of an offense, and it required Kitna to showcase his arm for lots of passing in a high-risk offense with a suspect O-line. (Now imagine Grossman in some of the places Kitna was playing -- I suspect you would have seen those offenses implode!) Kitna's not a world-beater, but he's a skilled, vet NFL backup QB, who could be able manage the Puke's offense.

As for Grossman, I'm staying realistic and not upgrading him to Superbowl level QB, even though the Bears did make it to the big show. I still think Rex is a 'red flag' should he be called upon to run the Skins offense. True, Kyle Shanahan may have settled him down somewhat, but once Grossman starts making mistakes -- it seems like they start to snowball. I get nervous when Rex trots on the field.

Grossman is like Forrest Gump's "box of choc-o-lats" you'll never now what you're gonna get. He's got talent, but mentally Rex seems to think he's the next coming of Favre -- even though it's clear he isn't. I suspect that attitude may lead to a lot of 'Gross' gambles that won't pay off in the regular season. He's good/bad streaky, and worse he doesn't seem to be able to secure the football well. Rex is going to create a lot of momentum-draining turnovers. I don't see Grossman bringing stability to the backup QB role -- so I was not happy when the Shanahans decided he'd be their backup QB. But he's here now, so I going to cheer for him, with fingers crossed. I'm hoping Rex continues to improve too!.

Vick -- his negatives are well documented. Quick talented scrambling QB, but I think he's slowing down. I was never impressed with his passing skills before -- he's probably the worst of the 4 NFCE backups. To be fair, I'm probably too hard on Vick, but heck ...but I don't want to be fair, I still think Vick is a :pooh:.

Archived