Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clifton Smith

RTerps2002

A lot of people like Antonio, but a lot of people on this board also have short memories. I don't know if you saw the game last night, but Pierce wasn't at his best. He was frequently around the ball, but his tackling left a lot to be desired. Nonetheless, he's solid, rarely makes mental errors, and at least for now, deserves a roster spot.

I'm a student at Syracuse so I know im biased but Clifton Smith is a total stud. Don't even bother to read anything about his play last year - the team was so bad no one player could have changed that. Two year ago, however, he and Freeney were the major reasons why the team was able to reach double digits in wins with a below average offense - the D was incredible. Freeney was allowed to fly into the backfield every play because Smith would handle any run that got by him. I remember reading that Clifton ended up having more tackles in college then Ray Lewis - how he went undrafted I'll never know. If we let him go WE WILL regret it in the next 2-3 years.

Interestingly Smith was rated right with Hobson at the middle backer spot in this draft and Hobson went to the Jets with their second pick after Robertson. Smith came to us as a free agent. That represents pretty substantial value. I don't think he's necessarily more athletic than Pierce as Pierce is a very athletic guy, but, he does need to make the roster. I think Mitchell and Pierce will as well, and Eddie Mason is just a phone call away for the last spot.

du7st,

Thats what im talking about. For some reason that year that he was a junior i saw like 3 Syracuse games and he was insane. We cannot let this guy go i am serious. This guy is a serious player. I dont know what you all are saying we need to go out and find some gems since we only had 3 draft picks. Why go find them when we have one RIGHT HERE! He may not be as fast as pierce, but he is powerful and very athletic and still is pretty damn fast. But he is a very good tackler, and he plays by the book. You saw that INT last night it was money. It looked like it was thrown right to him, thats cause it was but the reason it was is because he baited Chris Redman so bad its not even funny. And Redman has been playing a few years. He hid down low while dropping back just like your supposed to, he made Redman think the only people near that guy were the corner well to the left of him and the safety a little behind him, then he popped up and made a pretty tough catch. Its tough to catch them while your backpeddling and jumping to do it too.

He's gotta make the team......I'm not bias at all either i dont even like syracuse. Pierce's tackling is poor of late. This guy is worth a lot. If he is put on the practice squad someone will take him. HE NEEDS TO MAKE IT.

I hope Clifton Smith makes the team, because Bobby Bethard said that drafting quarterbacks was the hardest position to fill, but second was a middle linebacker for a 4-3 defense. We need a big guy like Smith to groom behind Trotter, in that this will probably be Kevin Mitchell's last season.

We only have room for 6 linebackers, and I haven't seen Lemar Marshall do anything in two years.

So Smith's the man. :) Although LB Donte Curry had an INT for a touchdown last year and still wound up getting cut. Then he went to play very well for Detroit. So its hard to tell if Smith will make the team or not. :(

I would also like to see us keep Chris Clemons on the practice squad. :)

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

I hope Clifton Smith makes the team... I would also like to see us keep Chris Clemons on the practice squad.

The exact two that I would like to see make the team this year. The issue I have with Pierce is that he is always around the ball, but has poor tackling skills – anyone keep track of how many he missed the other night? I can remember4 off the top of my head. Smith gets my vote !:applause:

I'm with the majority here. I love Clifton smith. I went the the K-state game a couple years ago and I swear that he was the best defender for Syracuse that day, not freeney.

I wouldn't mind seeing marshall go... i like clemmons and i think he should be on the practice squad.

I hope that Clifton makes the team... i don't see how sultan and clifton shouldn't make the final cut since we only had 3 draft picks.

your right inmate,

and Curry didnt just have that one INT i remember he made an incredible INT in practice that year and played extremely well the entire preseason he didnt just have that one pick he played very well. However i think a lot of it was him was that he did do so well. I remember hearing something about how we did him a favor by letting him go. Because he did so well that he could start for another team but not here cause our LB's are freaks and Curry didnt need to be groomed he was already outstanding, so we cut him and let him start somewhere else. I dont know if thats true or not but i remember hearing it.

This seems to be one of the most athletically gifted LB corps we've had in a while. I wouldn't surprise me to see more than one end up on the practice squad.

On a side note, since I have not seen any of the preseason games thus far, is Armstead a lock to make the team? I really haven't seen his name mentioned prominantly so I'm not sure how well he's been performing.

Thanks CT, I figured as much but I'm just WAY out of the loop when it comes to preseason games. I don't get nearly enough time to read every thread here :( and while everybody has him on their predicted roster I just haven't heard his name mentioned often.

I think it's tough to keep 3 mlb. I also think it will be tough to cut Mitchell given the precarious situation with Trotter's knee. If they keep Mitchell and Smith that leaves them with only 1 reserve OLB. Which you can't do - so something has to give: cut Mitchell or Smith or keep 7 lb's.

Originally posted by Skins26

your right inmate,

and Curry didnt just have that one INT i remember he made an incredible INT in practice that year and played extremely well the entire preseason he didnt just have that one pick he played very well. However i think a lot of it was him was that he did do so well. I remember hearing something about how we did him a favor by letting him go. Because he did so well that he could start for another team but not here cause our LB's are freaks and Curry didnt need to be groomed he was already outstanding, so we cut him and let him start somewhere else. I dont know if thats true or not but i remember hearing it.

-----------------------------------

you don't cut a backup because he can start unless he's vastly overpaid.sorry but you call it depth..

Archived