Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dibble is dumb and random MLB debate Thread

MattFancy

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/08/rob_dibble_to_stephen_strasbur.html

"I also look at this from the player's standpoint, that this is your job. This is what you do. You're never going to be 100 percent healthy, feel perfect. So you have to take accountability that you're gonna throw sometimes, your arm's gonna hurt. You're gonna be out there on the mound sometimes, the mound is gonna be terrible and the dirt is gonna be a little loose and it might not be so great. You can't constantly be complaining over every little thing.

"So for me, a little bit has to be put back on Strasbug here. Ok, you throw a pitch, it bothers your arm, and you immediately call out the manager and the trainer? Suck it up, kid. This is your profession. You chose to be a baseball player. You can't have the cavalry come in and save your butt every time you feel a little stiff shoulder, sore elbow.

"I mean, excuse me. There's guys I played with that had screws holding their elbows together. Chris Sabo played two weeks on a broken ankle. I put a steel plate in my wrist so I could be back in five weeks instead of three months. So, this is your choice. You can either suck it up and be a man at 22 making $2 million a year [with] a $15 million contract, or every time you get an ache and pain you can go out of the game and say I'm gonna let down the other 24 guys right here and possibly end up forfeiting the game."

Dibble is an idiot who needs to be fired. He acts like he was some superstar pitcher when he played, but he was a bum. I hope MASN fires him for being a douche. I can't stand listening to him talk.

He acts like he was some superstar pitcher when he played, but he was a bum.

Well, you were what, 5 years old when Dibble and the Nasty Boys were in their primes?:ols: I'm sure that qualifies you to call him a bum. Dibble career stats may not look that impressive, but when he, Norm Charlton, and the other guy whose name I can't remember made up the Cincy bullpen, they were pretty terrifying.

Dibble may not be that great of an announcer, but he's qualified enough to offer his opinion on stuff. And quite honestly, I wonder a little about Strasburg's "intestinal fortitude" myself.

Might want to re-think, or think, that "opinion" Fancy.

"As a reliever, he's in a class all his own: unhidibble. In 1989, his first full season, the righthanded Dibble averaged 12.8 strikeouts per nine innings, a major league record. Last season he was the first setup man ever to be named an All-Star; in the postseason, he whiffed 14 in 9â…” innings and earned co-MVP honors, with closer Randy Myers, in the National League Championship Series."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1139640/1/index.htm

Well, you were what, 5 years old when Dibble and the Nasty Boys were in their primes?:ols: I'm sure that qualifies you to call him a bum. Dibble career stats may not look that impressive, but when he, Norm Charlton, and the other guy whose name I can't remember made up the Cincy bullpen, they were pretty terrifying.

Dibble may not be that great of an announcer, but he's qualified enough to offer his opinion on stuff. And quite honestly, I wonder a little about Strasburg's "intestinal fortitude" myself.

Dibble had three effective years before arm injuries ruined him.

So....follow his advice, kid.

(Note: I actually saw Dibble pitch in Louisville shortly before he got called up by the Reds. He was impressive).

So he had a few good years as a reliever. That still doesn't make him a superstar.

Open for debate....but it certainly doesn't make him a "bum".

Take your purple colored glasses off.....Dibble is entitled to his opinion.

Dibble had three effective years before arm injuries ruined him.

So....follow his advice' date=' kid.

(Note: I actually saw Dibble pitch in Louisville shortly before he got called up by the Reds. He was impressive).[/quote']

I'm not saying Strasburg should listen to his advice, I'm just saying Dibble should in no way be called a bum. That guy was terrifying on the mound while he was healthy.

I'm not saying Strasburg should listen to his advice, I'm just saying Dibble should in no way be called a bum. That guy was terrifying on the mound while he was healthy.

Ok so maybe not a bum, but he wasn't a superstar like Strasburg is, yes Stras is already a superstar.

And like LKB said, Dibble's career was cut short because of injuries, so he should be the last person telling someone to suck it up and play. Maybe if the Nats were in the middle of a penant race, but there's nothing for the Nats to play. Let Stras rest and have him ready for next season. I said it the first time he went on the DL that they should've shut him down then.

Ironic.

What's ironic is that in every single post, all you do is attack someone else's opinion. You never back anything up with facts or even your ideas. You just slam everyone else. Its annoying. When you can come up with facts and ideas of your own, then I'll have more respect for you.

What's ironic is that in every single post, all you do is attack someone else's opinion. You never back anything up with facts or even your ideas. You just slam everyone else. Its annoying. When you can come up with facts and ideas of your own, then I'll have more respect for you.

Your opinion.

"As a reliever, he's in a class all his own: unhidibble. In 1989, his first full season, the righthanded Dibble averaged 12.8 strikeouts per nine innings, a major league record. Last season he was the first setup man ever to be named an All-Star; in the postseason, he whiffed 14 in 9â…” innings and earned co-MVP honors, with closer Randy Myers, in the National League Championship Series."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1139640/1/index.htm

My cited facts.

Ironic.

Explain the irony. Matt obviously knows baseball. Just because either Dibble was before his time or he doesn't agree with you that he was a star doesn't mean he doesn't know baseball.

Some of the best baseball minds in the world don't agree on how good players are. I've gotten into huge debates about Ripken with someone who knows 10x more about baseball than I do (and he's wrong in this debate, BTW).

So, I'll maintain...regardless of Dibbles on-the-field credentials, I'll defer to people who have common sense when it comes to Strasburg and jeopardizing a promising career. Or, am I missing where Dibble has successfully advised young pitchers on "sucking it up" in the past?

Archived