Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You know what the "experts" will say if we begin 2-0 this year........

TC4

nothing matters except the final record.

certainly Joe Montana going out with back surgery when he was the top rated QB in the game gave other teams a better shot at winning a Super Bowl or two in the past? :)

that's the way the league is.

The Redskins have had more than their share of injuries. In fact injuries in the preseason of 2000 derailed the team's chances of living up to the hype of the offseason moves that year as we lost Brett Conway, Tre Johnson and Cory Raymer for the season, then Westbrook in Game 2.

Nobody was shedding tears for the Redskins when we then couldn't kick a field goal to save our lives or defend against the interior rush for the next 15 weeks.

The Jets have a capable backup in Vinny Testaverde and Pennington's absence alone should not be enough to prevent the Jets from coming and being a competitive opponent.

As far as Atlanta goes, they are a young team. They might have gotten ahead of themselves a bit last year, finishing 11-5.

I don't see their overall talent as being quite THAT good yet. Vick obviously makes a great difference for them, but this is a 45 man sport and you have to count on more than one player for your success.

Originally posted by Chief skin

We start 0-6, schedule is too tough. We are not a good football team.

As a fellow transplant in Pennsylvania, I think you have lived in PA too long.

Two tips:

1) Don't let the Eagles fans get to you, mentally or physically.

2) Things always look worse when you are alone. Find some fellow Redskins fans that you can talk with in person. These forums are great, but nothing takes the place of an actual fellow fan or two.

The Skins remain an interesting team and one difficult to get a read on. It's been said before, but it should be said again. If Ramsey is a 4,000-yard passer, the Redskins will be a playoff team and likely division winner. Now, I'm one of those who thinks it's very difficult to expect such a performance from a young QB. Therefore I see him falling below that level and the Redskins are a slightly above average team because of it.

With the opening two games being against opponents who would have been favored -- and still could be I guess -- before losing their QB, the Redskins now have an opportunity to be pretty good even if Ramsey isn't great. The experts can say whatever they want. If the Redskins open at 2-0, given the youth on the team and natural growth we'll have each week in terms of playing together, the confidence the team will start to develop could lead to a surprisingly fine season without Ramsey having to carry us.

I've been a Reskins fan as long as I can remember.

In all those years, I have never known any national sports media to give favorable or deserved press to the Redskins. It just doesn't happen.

Back in 1972, when the Redskins were going 11-3 on their way to SB 7, The skins were "underdogs" in just about every game they played. Even if the "experts" picked them to win, they were not picked to win by much.

ESPN is the worst for giving the Redskins lack of press, and when they do, it is usually negative.

I boycott ESPN as much as possible during the regular season, and suggest that we all do that until they stop highlighting Brett Farve and Kurt Warner all the time. I'm sick of hearing about those two. I hope they both quit and go away.

Originally posted by bulldog

nothing matters except the final record.

That's exactly right, pilgrim.

I'm sorry for the two teams who have lost their starting QBs for at least part of the season.

My concern is, however, that a lot of people are now marking the Jets and Falcons games as automatic wins. They are not automatic by any means.

I hope the team does not get over-confident, and then blow it.

Originally posted by Caretaker

I boycott ESPN as much as possible during the regular season, and suggest that we all do that until they stop highlighting Brett Farve and Kurt Warner all the time. I'm sick of hearing about those two. I hope they both quit and go away.

Not to mention the way they go on and on and on and on about Bill Parcells now being the coach of the Cowboys :puke:

Originally posted by fansince62

we'll all have to be patient if it plays out this way.

I agree 100% 62! :thumbsup:

I like what I saw (or read) last night but I still am not ready to label us a playoff team! We still have a long way to go but we do have a little help in week 1 & 2.

I see it like fan 62. I see us winning the first 3 then losing the next 3. If we can go 3-3 into the break and have a 2 weeks to plan for the boys we will be 4-3 with 9 left to play.

That last game vs. the Eagles is going to be a very important game. When was the last time our last game of the year had real meaning. This team can and will be between 11-9 wins this season. The future so bright we gotta wear shades.:cool:

It is amazing how much difference a week can make.

Last week you guys were all over the Skins and were dreading this season. Now all of a sudden you are wondering if the media will make excuses for you being 2-0.

This is why I don't harp too much on the preseason. It is too difficult to get any kind of read on what is going to happen when it counts. I'm glad you guys are feeling better though. :cheers:

I am not being unrealistic to think the skins could have a playoff season. If this passing attack starts to click, we could light 'em up. 2-0 would be a good start and confidence builder. I have guarded optimism though, we have looked good on paper before and fell flat.

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

It is amazing how much difference a week can make.

Last week you guys were all over the Skins and were dreading this season. Now all of a sudden you are wondering if the media will make excuses for you being 2-0.

This is why I don't harp too much on the preseason. It is too difficult to get any kind of read on what is going to happen when it counts. I'm glad you guys are feeling better though. :cheers:

Don't look at me. I've been saying the same thing all along. This is going to be a good team. We are still going to have our ups and downs but we have a pretty good shot at the playoffs. Last night was just a step in the right direction. :D

Archived