Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Buying A/C in the fall vs summer?

da#1skinsfan

OK guys need your help again.

Got a much better quote. Same equipment - $5800 - $1800 in credits = $4000 total. 2.5 Ton Trane 16SEER equipment. Couple differences:

- This guy insists upon replacing the horizontal pieces of copper pipe - says no matter what, even blowing nitrogen, you will leave deposits in the horizontal pipe that will come back down and hurt your compressor

- Including a "ceiling saver kit" - stops the unit from running if the condensor drain clogs - do I need this or is this like "underbody rustproofing"?

- Replacing the 4ft plenum and 2ft return plenum (doesnt need it for some reason recommends it).

Thoughts? I can get him to lower the price and remove the above stuff but if its valuable and not BS, then maybe I want it? Going to decide to go with this guy or not by tomorrow i think, just want to git r done but dont want to get beat up, if i dont need the above stuff (primarily the ceiling saver kit, hes the only one that offered it) then I want to deduct it.

Also, going to try to get him to throw in adding another vent to the bonus room to equalize the air in there, and also relocating the thermostat to the outside wall.

OK guys need your help again.

Got a much better quote. Same equipment - $5800 - $1800 in credits = $4000 total. 2.5 Ton Trane 16SEER equipment. Couple differences:

- This guy insists upon replacing the horizontal pieces of copper pipe - says no matter what, even blowing nitrogen, you will leave deposits in the horizontal pipe that will come back down and hurt your compressor

- Including a "ceiling saver kit" - stops the unit from running if the condensor drain clogs - do I need this or is this like "underbody rustproofing"?

- Replacing the 4ft plenum and 2ft return plenum (doesnt need it for some reason recommends it).

Thoughts? I can get him to lower the price and remove the above stuff but if its valuable and not BS, then maybe I want it? Going to decide to go with this guy or not by tomorrow i think, just want to git r done but dont want to get beat up, if i dont need the above stuff (primarily the ceiling saver kit, hes the only one that offered it) then I want to deduct it.

If you are going to blow the lines out, you dont justuse nitrogen. You evac the system of refrigerant, then you pump an evac solution into the system, and you trap it in the inner portion of the old unit. Then you remove the unit and blow the lines. Blowing the lines can be done properly, it just takes longer. he is right though, blowing the lines can leave you open to contamination, but if it is done correclty, the risk is a small one. I would much rather take that risk then have him cutting and splicing my copper up in a bunch of different sections... is he just going to braise the pieces back in? THAT, is a very risky move... especially if you have a leak somewhere.

Ceiling saver kits are essential. We call our model an "EZ Trap", but other models like "Condensate Cop" are out there as well. basically, if your air handler gets a clog, before the flood in your attic, a plunger will get raised by the raising water levels, cutting a circuit, shutting the unit down until the unit is serviced... or the water evaporates. Necessary in every unit that is in an attic or finished basement.

Id ask him to show you exactly what horizantal pieces he wants to cut. Making cuts and repairs to the line sets is something you realy dont want to do. If he is going to cut you up like that, ask whatthe price difference is for brand new lines. Something doesnt feel right with his explanation as to why he doesnt want to just blow the lines. I would always want my line sets in prestine conditions. The absolute LASTthing you want to be worrying about is if the braise in one of the linesets has leaked. How many cuts is this guy talking about as well? Line sets can bend vertically, horizontally, many times over behind a wall, who says he is going to get all the verticle spots? If he leaves one spot un touched, then it negates all the other horizontal pieces of line thathe replaced.

• 2 months later...

OK Stew finally pulled the trigger and here's what we ended up with...summarizing the line items:

Trane XT80 furnace

XR15 R410a AC - qualifies for tax credit

Horizontal copper line replacement (cut once on each end and welded back with new pipe) - they insist on this

TXV (something or other) aluminum coil

Ceiling Saver kit

Drip pan

All sorts of reconnects and transitions and plenums

Outdoor pad

Old equipment disposal

Permits

Filing of tax credits

Install additional vent in bonus room

Trane TCON803 touchscreen thermostat

Relocate upstairs thermostat from bedroom to hallway

$6000 even - $1800 in credits I should be at $4200.

Good deal?

Archived