Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russell

OrangeSkin

Is he still the 4th receiver?

In my mind, he's been at least surpassed by Patrick Johnson.

He's deficiencies really showed through. Blazing speed, but no hands. You can run a 3.2 40 and it doesn't do you a damn bit of good without the ball in your hands.

I dont know if I'd say PJ surpasses him. I know PJ had a good game this week, but thats follwing a horrible game last week. If anything I'd say that McCants has his spot on the roster back after a mexmorizing catch today. It was just beautiful how he caught it and threw off two defenders and ran like 4 or 5 more yards. just beautiful.

He'll make the team based on his "potential" and draft position alone.

If he doesn't get a handle on things by next training camp, though, he's a goner.

I thought McCants may have had one foot out the door, but that play he made was big-time. I'd be surprised if Spurrier let him go after seeing that.

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

Is he still the 4th receiver?

In my mind, he's been at least surpassed by Patrick Johnson.

He's deficiencies really showed through. Blazing speed, but no hands. You can run a 3.2 40 and it doesn't do you a damn bit of good without the ball in your hands.

A 3.2 40! damn, i knew the boy was fast, but he must be the flash....

seriously though, as discouraging as that dropped pass was, i think his speed and his ability to get open will keep him around. and who knows, maybe he'll light it up against jacksonville. btw, did yall see rob johnson miss him when he got behind the secondary. if johnson could throw, that woulda been another 6. but oh well.

I know other's said different, but when I was in camp, Patrick Johnson looked like the clear cut fourth receiver to me. Russell just looked raw, he struggled catching the ball in camp. While I was there, Johnson didn't look like much of a drop off from the top 3 guys.

from Avidfan

btw, did yall see rob johnson miss him when he got behind the secondary. if johnson could throw, that woulda been another 6. but oh well.

If it's the play I'm thinking about, on the replay from the opposite endzone camera it looked like Johnson thought Russell was going to cut in front of the defender, and that's where Rob threw it. But Cliff went aroung and cut behind the defender and the pass looked waaaay off. When Russell got to the sideline it looked like SSjr was motioning to him that he should have cut in. Did anybody else see this?

well, Russell missed all of last year with an ACL so he is in essence a rookie in 2003. Now how many rookie receivers taken in round 3 are really going to be ready to play right away? :)

not many.

Russell looked athletic but tentative. He was walking on eggshells after the mixup on the long ball.

I have a hesitancy towards taking a player in the draft at WR that has questionable hands, despite his other assets. I think that is one thing you may not be able to help a player attain.

But now that we indeed DID take a player at #3 because of his speed alone, we at least have to make an effort to see if we can work with Russell before cutting him.

You don't just invalidate a fairly high choice lickety-split and give him over to somebody else for nothing :)

If he can't play that will be evident over time and then you will see the team cut him in 2004.

But you have to give the team a year at least of him being healthy and on the field before letting him go.

After all, we waited 4 years for Stephen Davis to arrive and 3 years for Cory Raymer to show he was an NFL center.

In today's NFL you have to figure it not as his 'rookie' year, but as the second year we have invested in the guy with no return, and as it looks, no return in the foreseeable future . He's raw, but he didn't look raw to me,, he looked lost, like he had a problem with the playbook.

If he got cut, i wouldn't be shocked.

~Bang

Boys and girls, if Russell's consistently getting open as some have said, that's good enough to make the team even if he has hands of stone. If Russell ends up the season with only 25 receptions, but averaging 20+ yards per catch with some long TD's, don't tell me that a defense won't have to account for him. We have a clear cut set of starters in Coles, Gardner, and Jacobs, and a capable backup in McCants. We don't need Russell to be Jerry Rice. He's simply here to be a home run threat who pulls coverage off of the other guys by creating dilemmas for safeties. If he settles in and gives us more, then great. But we don't "need" it from him right now.

Originally posted by redman

Boys and girls, if Russell's consistently getting open as some have said, that's good enough to make the team even if he has hands of stone. If Russell ends up the season with only 25 receptions, but averaging 20+ yards per catch with some long TD's, don't tell me that a defense won't have to account for him. We have a clear cut set of starters in Coles, Gardner, and Jacobs, and a capable backup in McCants. We don't need Russell to be Jerry Rice. He's simply here to be a home run threat who pulls coverage off of the other guys by creating dilemmas for safeties. If he settles in and gives us more, then great. But we don't "need" it from him right now.

Just to clarify... Russell wasn't just getting open, he was getting WIDE open. He obviously has the quicks. I think his poor performance is attributable to his unfortunate jersey number. :laugh:

Archived