Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Here comes Sage

jimster

Griese Out Indefinitely With Toe Injury

Aug 23, 5:29 PM (ET) Email this Story

By STEVEN WINE

MIAMI (AP) - Brian Griese was acquired by the Miami Dolphins as injury insurance, and now he's hurt.

The Dolphins' new backup quarterback suffered ligament damage to his left big toe during an exhibition victory over the Atlanta Falcons, the team learned Saturday. He'll miss the final preseason game Thursday at New Orleans and may be sidelined for an extended period.

In Griese's absence, Sage Rosenfels becomes the No. 2 quarterback behind Jay Fiedler. In two seasons, Rosenfels has thrown three passes - all incomplete.

Griese entered Friday's game in the second half, and the injury occurred on his third play when he scrambled and stubbed his toe before completing a pass, coach Dave Wannstedt said. Griese stayed in for eight more plays, leading a 64-yard touchdown drive, then walked to the locker room for X-rays, which were negative.

He left the stadium wearing a protective boot, and an MRI Saturday revealed ligament damage. Griese will undergo further evaluation over next few days to determine the extent of the injury, a team spokesman said.

Despite speculation that Griese might challenge Fiedler for the starting job, a quarterback controversy has failed to develop. Griese, who signed with Miami on June 9, has been erratic while learning the offense, and Fiedler's had his most productive training camp in four seasons with the Dolphins.

In three exhibition games, Griese completed 13 of 18 passes for 122 yards with four sacks. He signed with Miami after five seasons in Denver, where he started 51 games but fell out of favor and was supplanted by Jake Plummer.

Griese has missed playing time in each of the past four seasons with knee, shoulder and head injuries. The Dolphins considered him an upgrade after they went 2-4 when backup quarterback Ray Lucas filled in for an injured Fiedler last season.

Bad for Griese, good for Sage. He will do fine as long as he learns to look off his recievers. On the TD pass he threw last night, he stared down his reciever and the CB saw it all the way, he was just too slow to react. Sage won't have that luxury against starters. A good CB would have taken that one 99 yards for a TD.

Originally posted by bulldog

In Griese's absence, Sage Rosenfels becomes the No. 2 quarterback behind Jay Fiedler. In two seasons, Rosenfels has thrown three passes - all incomplete :)

I noticed that as well. That's gotta do wonders to the QB rating:gus:

Interesting observation Mad Mike. I've said all along that the Falcons didn't have anyone who could cover Rod Gardner let alone Laveraneus Coles. I've talked a LOT of smack to Falcons fans at my job and I'm confident we'll back it up. It's just too bad I won't get to see Michael Vick play when I go to the game.:(

Archived