Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

From a youth coaching standpoint I can't say I really blame them—there isn't a definitive ruling on how concussions are obtained these days. My club is taking a very "CYA" approach  to heading at the younger ages (pre-teens)—we teach heading and do it in controlled environments. Overall, our style of play involves keeping the ball on the ground as much as possible so it reduces the number of times that ball is needlessly in the air. No kickball and as much as possible even our gks roll or throw it out starting at the very youngest ages. We discourage punting because we want them to learn to play out of the back. 

Our club director just took a CDC seminar on concussions and what they are finding that it seems to be connected to jaw impact into the skull. But they admit that that's not a definitive finding yet, but they are suggesting (not recommending) that mouth pieces may reduce concussions. Maybe not, see football.

Strangely, US youth hockey (I don't know what they're governing body is) found in a study they commissioned that mouth pieces DO NO reduce likelihood of concussions. 

I don't think this school system or my club is out to breed a generation of wusses but, again, it's CYA. We have families, we have homes and assets to protect—you don't want findings to come out 5 years from now and expose all of us to lawsuits for negligence. We're not the NFL, we can't fight this to a meaningful degree.

They should go with the evidence which indicates that this type of head gear apparently does nothing to prevent concussions, but does increase risk by restricting visibility and hearing, will lead to more collisions. It's interesting that basketball is not being targeted when its rates are comparable to the sports which are on the list.

The "yeah but" to that is you can't do nothing. We haven't, and probably won't, mandate our players to wear head gear. I don't agree with the head gear, BUT I see where they are coming from. 

I think, without the scientific evidence to back me up, is that at younger ages you want to be more careful as they are less coordinated and have less strength in their neck muscles (and other associated).

I have coached some ten year old teams where a girl will take a punt out of the air with her head and the parents go nuts applauding. BUT ball goes straight up in the air, hit her on top of her crown, her eyes were closed, mouth open. Basically she "headed" the ball with zero technique and resulted in nothing positive for her team. Anyway, my point here is that at young ages you can accomplish more by teaching the kids to trap or receive the ball with some other body part.

I think heading is one of those skills that we can take our time learning. Introduce proper technique with lighter balls and/or balls that are moving at a much slower velocity. 

Woo RVA FC finishes a undefeated season with a championship in front of a packed Sportsbacker Stadium last night.  Fan sections behind the goals and section in the stands chanting(waving flags) and getting the rest of the crowd going.  

I shot the trophy presentation from above the field in the stands.  All the fans are below where I'm shooting or on the sides.  ( didn't get it but the head coach was picked up by the team and repeatedly thrown into the air.  Good thing they didn't drop him because he suffered a career ending injury(leg) in the Bundesliga which led him to coaching)

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

TBH, a lot of the Arsenal fan base don't want Suarez. I do. 

Also, I don't really care if we overpay (i.e. Gareth Bale money), it's not my money and after years of not spending it's about time. 

Hate to see it that it's taking your top player, GHH, if it were to happen. 

Through all this, I can't decide if Brendan Rodgers is a dick or he's just a principled man. 

I think, or at least I'd like to think, Rodgers is a man of principle that truly believes in Suarez and the fact that he should return the loyalty shown to him. But again, it comes down to me to the continued piss poor PR at Anfield and nobody clamping down on him, ala Kenny with Luis who was equally as honest and well meaning; and stopping him before he speaks. 

It was interesting Saturday to witness the defiant nature of the crowd in support of Luis. I didn't for one minute expect abuse or boo's. That's NEVER been our style. When the players are on the pitch, you support them regardless or keep your own council. One of our unwritten rules. But the sway of support, particularly after reading he is considering legal action to force the clubs hand like he did in Holland way back when to get the move to Ajax; did surprise me. The debate over a few beers after left me as the only one of the lads I've always gone the game with who is totally over him and wants him gone for his Arsenal lies. Never have I felt so betrayed by a player, Torres included. But it seems World class talent prevails over everything else today. Even more so when it's one of the very few you posses. 

He'd be a brilliant signing for you guys E. The way Wenger has always played he'd fit in like a dream and would, IMHO, give you the best player pound for pound pure talent wise you've had since Henry. And as you so pertinently noted a page or four back, it would be SO much bigger than a major fee for Luis Suarez. It would be a STATEMENT transfer from Arsenal to say they can compete with the very best and are prepared to match any club out there for money and wages. Throw in the lure of London and that's a potent mix for any player. 

This saga still has a few twists and turns left yet. But I don't for one minute think he'll be at Anfield past August 31. Whatever Brendon or that buffoon Ayre say to the contrary. 

Hail. 

It's been bugging me all night who that is.

Is that the dude from Kenny MF Powers?

Hail.

he was on the show last season, but its not Kenny Powers. Its his friend who he helped kill lol.

You know nothing about the youth development system in this country and what it's doing/producing. Out of 300 million people, by your account, we have a handful of "top" players—yes, there's something wrong with the system. Development, identification . . . we are falling short. Compared to Spain or Germany right now who have B teams good enough to compete with the world and still have U21s knocking on the door, yeah, there's something wrong with the system.  

a) you realize only those two countries can say that right now.

b ) I never said youth development in this country was good or ideal, I just said to give it more credit than you had.

Edited by JoeWolf990

From a youth coaching standpoint I can't say I really blame them—there isn't a definitive ruling on how concussions are obtained these days. My club is taking a very "CYA" approach  to heading at the younger ages (pre-teens)—we teach heading and do it in controlled environments. Overall, our style of play involves keeping the ball on the ground as much as possible so it reduces the number of times that ball is needlessly in the air. No kickball and as much as possible even our gks roll or throw it out starting at the very youngest ages. We discourage punting because we want them to learn to play out of the back. 

Our club director just took a CDC seminar on concussions and what they are finding that it seems to be connected to jaw impact into the skull. But they admit that that's not a definitive finding yet, but they are suggesting (not recommending) that mouth pieces may reduce concussions. Maybe not, see football.

Strangely, US youth hockey (I don't know what they're governing body is) found in a study they commissioned that mouth pieces DO NO reduce likelihood of concussions. 

I don't think this school system or my club is out to breed a generation of wusses but, again, it's CYA. We have families, we have homes and assets to protect—you don't want findings to come out 5 years from now and expose all of us to lawsuits for negligence. We're not the NFL, we can't fight this to a meaningful degree.

They should go with the evidence which indicates that this type of head gear apparently does nothing to prevent concussions, but does increase risk by restricting visibility and hearing, will lead to more collisions. It's interesting that basketball is not being targeted when its rates are comparable to the sports which are on the list.

The "yeah but" to that is you can't do nothing. We haven't, and probably won't, mandate our players to wear head gear. I don't agree with the head gear, BUT I see where they are coming from. 

I think, without the scientific evidence to back me up, is that at younger ages you want to be more careful as they are less coordinated and have less strength in their neck muscles (and other associated).

I have coached some ten year old teams where a girl will take a punt out of the air with her head and the parents go nuts applauding. BUT ball goes straight up in the air, hit her on top of her crown, her eyes were closed, mouth open. Basically she "headed" the ball with zero technique and resulted in nothing positive for her team. Anyway, my point here is that at young ages you can accomplish more by teaching the kids to trap or receive the ball with some other body part.

I think heading is one of those skills that we can take our time learning. Introduce proper technique with lighter balls and/or balls that are moving at a much slower velocity. 

If a sport is unnecessarily dangerous ... it's pretty simple to modify the rules and the way it is coached. This is a case of concern over concussions in youth sports resulting in a mandate to wear headgear that won't help address the issue, and is likely to make the situation significantly worse because they limit vision and hearing. 

Edited by Corcaigh

This saga still has a few twists and turns left yet. But I don't for one minute think he'll be at Anfield past August 31. Whatever Brendon or that buffoon Ayre say to the contrary. 

Hail. 

I haven't seen the CL schedule. Is the CL qualifier before the transfer deadline? If so, he may not want to transfer if Arsenal don't qualify into the group stages. 

Is it inappropriate to tell a man or a woman, "Don't be a woman?"

If you say it to a man, it's clearly wrong but theoretically correct since he, without drastic measures, CANNOT be a woman. But if you say it to a woman, you could be criticizing some stereotypical trait in her gender, but she can't really change, can she?

Or it could be a knock on the dressing room door and it's a gentlemanly, "Don't be a woman."

Well if Arsenal would pay his FULL bail money .....

Hail.

*Edit* And then we have his latest outburst again this AM: 

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8858391/

The sooner Liverpool accept he won't be there next season, and likewise Utd and 'Spurs with Rooney and Bale; the better for all concerned. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Well, this is playing out just as I predicted. Let's just hope Liverpool stops dragging their feet, Arsenal stops low balling and Suarez acts like a man. Unfortunately, none of these will happen. Suarez will be sold at the end of the window for around 45 million and Liverpool will not have an adequate replacement lined up. I hope I'm wrong...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/pfa-asked-mediate-luis-suarez-5673898

my favorite part of that is Suarez flat out calling Rodgers and the LFC front office liars. This a few days after Rodgers said Wenger and Arsenal lacked class in their pursuit of Suarez despite Arsenal never publicizing any of the bids. Good times :lol:

Edited by JoeWolf990

my favorite part of that is Suarez flat out calling Rodgers and the LFC front office liars. This a few days after Rodgers said Wenger and Arsenal lacked class in their pursuit of Suarez despite Arsenal never publicizing any of the bids. Good times :lol:

I'm glad you like it, because he will soon be your problem...

I know. IM only anticipating him staying for 2 years.

The thing is, I cannot see Arsenal and its fans going to the lengths to defend him like Liverpool fans and the club has. He has done things that are indefensible.

This is the whole Randy Moss thing. He turned out to be a model player in New England. 

Not saying IF we sign LS that he'll be a model. He could be gone in a season or two as well but you never know. 

As long as he doesn't get extended bans, I'll be okay.

This is the whole Randy Moss thing. He turned out to be a model player in New England.

Not saying IF we sign LS that he'll be a model. He could be gone in a season or two as well but you never know.

As long as he doesn't get extended bans, I'll be okay.

I think if that happens (that's a big if), it will happen in Madrid

I know. IM only anticipating him staying for 2 years.

The thing is, I cannot see Arsenal and its fans going to the lengths to defend him like Liverpool fans and the club has. He has done things that are indefensible.

I think he is using Arsenal to get to Madrid. He used Liverpool to get to the Champion's League. He will play great in the CL in an attempt to force Madrid to come get him...

God I'm getting tired of Suarez. I don't want to sell him to an English rival, but he can go anywhere else honestly, at this point.

I just hope FSG invest the entirety of his fee into the team, plus whatever they were gonna spend on Costa/Micky. I'm beginning to believe in the scouting/Rodgers plan. Allen looks solid when he's healthy, Coutinho looks downright amazing, and Sturridge is evolving into everything he was supposed to be at Chelsea and City. It's obviously early, but Aspas looks like he has an eye for goals, and while we haven't seen much of Alberto, I really like his first touch.Plus, Mignolet looks to be an excellent shot stopper, even if he doesn't have Reina's distribution/sweeper skills.

All in all, go away Luis.

• Like 1

God I'm getting tired of Suarez. I don't want to sell him to an English rival, but he can go anywhere else honestly, at this point.

All in all, go away Luis.

Honestly, I don't care if he goes to Arsenal or any other English club. Just so long as he goes. And quick. 

'Go away Luis' indeed. 

Hail.