Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Had a chance.  Really good set up by United.

The officiating in the Premier League is insanely poor and Poorson is among the worst.

Could've picked any one of the three stonewall pens and then the two stoppages of play during our attack just look bad.

TAA had an absolute stinker. 

Not our best game but much better the second half.  Burn the tape.

• Thanks 1

That would have been quite nerve racking without a good old 6am w&b.

The first half was somewhat akin to fighting someone with a short reach and holding them back by the forehead while they swing away. Second half was far too negative but the organization and work rate were superb. Bailly makes such a difference and for a CB he's nowhere near his prime. Not having Pogba was always going to present a world of problems against one of the best pressing teams in Europe, but credit Mourinho for adjusting, even though he was playing with fire shutting up shop so early.

Bailly m.o.m for me, but also a great game for McTominay all things considered, and Ashley Young for playing such a big role in keeping Salah without a shot on target. I have been one of Rashford's harshest critics, and justifiably so, but it was so obvious to see his issue was mostly mental. He's not great on the ball but he was a lot better than his complete lack confidence made him look at times. Mourinho handled this situation perfectly by benching him for a few games and Rashford came through when he got the call. Alexis is still struggling to fit in but he works his socks off and should have had a brilliant assist which would have completely changed the dynamic of the game. 

Fun game and I'll take any distraction I can get right now, but the unfortunate part is you can really see how City are chess while everyone else is playing checkers, in no small part due to the fact that they have barely missed on transfers, while United are still paying the price for years (the worst of which may have been Fergie's last two or three years) of questionable purchases. As it stands these are the two teams with the best chance of beating City to a title anytime soon, and that bodes very well for City. 

Commiserations to my newly found Scouse friends, but at the end of the day we have to enjoy these occasions for what they are and as I said in an earlier post, we're blessed to have something we're so passionate about to allow us to step away from day-to-day life for a couple of hours. If I had a glass I'd hold it up for the North West Derby. 

8 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Thought McTominay did a great job rushing Can and Ox on the ball.  He was a huge difference and let Matic man-mark.

Looks very calm and under control for his age. From everything I've read his specific position and role next to the DLP will see a major investment. Not sure I disagree with that looking at the two way midfielders some of the other big sides will have and that includes Keita. 

On 06/03/2018 at 2:48 PM, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Bollocks. Pawson got the Utd game.

He’s not Anthony Taylor. Best I got.

Hail.

Craig Pawson is a **** referee. Who knew? 

Thought L'pool deserved 
nottin' from the game. Congratulations Utd. But as poor as L'pool were, they should have had the chance to equalise. At least twice. The handball was just a disgrace. Foul on Sadio as blatant as it gets. And Salah, who got absolutely assaulted most the game off the ball, among some real good play from Young who shut him down better than anyone this year, was just too honest for his own good staying on his feet as Youngs trying his best to rag him the ground. The time waisting he was letting go.(Fair play to Utd. No problem there either. The officials let you get away with it, keep on running down the clock.). Rashford should have walked. The fella's just a complete joke. 

Two terrible mistakes the goals. Hey Degsy, here's a thought ..... If yers gonna' be a gob****e all week like you were on Lukaku, back it up or better, STF UP! Don't give the oppo ANY more incentive than they need. And Lukaku F-ing played yers today mate. Trent will learn from the experience. Poor tactics to continually try play through a team with everyone back. Way too narrow. Sadio was ****e but at least he never hid. But honestly, not that narked. I've seen many 
a L'pool side completely collapse half-time Utd after being 2 down but this side is different and showed real character second half. Yeah, we didn't create much. But that ground was worried as F and the relief at the final whistle was massive from the crowd. Just a bounce of the ball here and there and L'pool get something today which is another big step forward in itself. 

Disappointing. Ultimately, I have no problem with us losing taking out Pawson. But this side is in the ascendency and second is still very much alive this year with Utd still to go to City. 

Or maybe I'm just playing 'the victim card' as it's 'never our fault' as was regaled to us again? Absolute low life bellends. Which is a shame as I know some real sound Utd lads I've had some great nights out in Manchester with. The outright hatred in a L'pool- Utd game sadly just beings out the very worst in people. 

Well done Utd. Onto Watford.

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 2

On 2/21/2018 at 7:17 PM, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

When you come from a Country with no soccer (it's ok. You guys are the only guys in the World allowed to use that word as you have your own brand of football. International law decrees it.

By the way, I was curious, so I looked it up. Although the name "soccer" doesn't make any sense to me, it apparently should make sense to you, because as usual, it's the Empire's fault.

Apparently the UK called Association Football soccer for short, to differentiate from Rugby, which was rugger. The US picked it up to differentiate from the other offshoot that became football here.

Even more interesting is that soccer and football were still used interchangeably in the UK until the 1980s, when it was deemed too American, it would seem.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5492714

I haven't read the referenced paper, but it seems plausible to me.

Edited by techboy

9 minutes ago, techboy said:

By the way, I was curious, so I looked it up. Although the name "soccer" doesn't make any sense to me, it apparently should make sense to you, because as usual, it's the Empire's fault.

Apparently the UK called Association Football soccer for short, to differentiate from Rugby, which was rugger. The US picked it up to differentiate from the other offshoot that became football here.

Even more interesting is that soccer and football were still used interchangeably in the UK until the 1980s, when it was deemed too American, it would seem.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5492714

I haven't read the referenced paper, but it seems plausible to me.

I'm from the UK (hence the imaginative username) - I remember playing a game on the Amiga games console (floppy disks, joysticks and all) called "sensible soccer" and another on PC called "Actua soccer" - that would have been right around the early 90s. No idea about sensible soccer, but actua soccer was developed by "Gremlin" studio who were UK based, so what you say sounds about right.

I wouldn't necessarily say they were interchangeable in conversation at that point, I only recall ever hearing it called football or "footy" but it certainly wouldn't confuse anyone if you called it soccer here, it's just not really common in spoken language.

Ahhh. ES resident racist hypocritical troll returns from whatever rock he last disappeared under. Missed yer Benning man ..... like a dose of the clap. 

'Stay classy' ..... We on about the Utd fans mocking the dead yet again yesterday? Yer know, being as yers on a one-man moralistic (STOP laughing at the back at the hypocrisy) crusade at shameful songs sung at football? ..... Thought not. It wasn't L'pool supporters so that's sound. 

Moving on to your latest piece of overt trolling ..... 

TOTALLY unacceptable reaction from Carragher. Spitting is about as low as it gets and nobody could complain if he has to face professional repercussions.. But at least he acknowledges what a tit he was in the moment and apologised. (Nice of yer to leave that part out as it wouldn't fit the anti-Scouse narrative. Keep trolling hard sport. Yers are doing a great job at it. ;).).  

As for the equally 'classy' Mancunian there ..... 

Drives, with his 14-year-old daughter alongside him in the car no less, illegally using his 'phone, not concentrating on the road, and putting her safety at risk (presumably he'll now get the standard 6 points on his licence and £200 fine?); deliberately trying to antagonise someone over a 3/4 minute duration 3 or 4 times. Then looks to take offence (and go straight for the publicity, 'what can I get out of this?' move) when he get's a reaction from something he'd needlessly instigated. 

Father of the year candidate right there. 

'Stay classy' indeed. 

Or does your latest case of trolling hypocrisy only extend to anything L'pool FC related? 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

ES resident racist hypocritical troll

You should genuinely get help, or be friend non Liverpool people.

Its sad that you would see posting a video of Carragher spitting on a child as trolling. 

12 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Drives, with his 14-year-old daughter alongside him in the car no less, illegally using his 'phone, not concentrating on the road, and putting her safety at risk (presumably he'll now get the standard 6 points on his licence and £200 fine?); deliberately trying to antagonise someone over a 3/4 minute duration 3 or 4 times. Then looks to take offence (and go straight for the publicity, 'what can I get out of this?' move) when he get's a reaction from something he'd needlessly instigated. 

Yeah, that guy is a scumbag too. Nowhere did I defend him.

Carragher's actions are vile and appalling, and that is all I think I said. The fact that you are making this "anti-Scouse" or anything else shows the mindsight you have, which isnt positive.

Im still amazed im seen as a racist lol. (and according to GHH, I am a racist because I criticized Liverpool fans who abused Patrice Evra for claiming he was racially attacked)

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Its sad that you would see posting a video of Carragher spitting on a child as trolling. 

Well, the reality is that it kind of is trolling.

I've been lurking here for a while, and I have never seen you participate. Do you even follow a soccer team?

In any case, your first appearance had some merit, but it was still trollish because you just dropped in and made some reference to Liverpool fans supporting the racism of Luis Suarez, which was aimed for maximum reaction and with minimal context or explanation.

I had no idea what you were talking about, but I follow Barcelona now, so I looked it up, and it appears that what's really going on is that Suarez is a hothead who got into another scuffle, and then there was a cultural misunderstanding, which you later acknowledged.

Further context indicated that what you were actually upset about was that Liverpool fans in a recent match were still giving the accuser a hard time, which I actually found to be a valid criticism. Just because Suarez is innocent doesn't mean that the accuser is guilty, which is what misunderstanding means.

So it's not cool for Liverpool fans to be harrassing the other player, though I suspect that's less racism and more the outrageous tribalism that still makes me nervous to be picking up following the sport (GHH's reference to fans singing about the Liverpool dead being another ugly example).

That being noted, it is true that another ugly aspect of soccer is the racism of some fans, especially ultras, and from what I've been reading a large number of ultra groups are literal neo-Nazis and/or fascists, including Barcelona's which started as extreme left nationalist under Franco and has run hard right separatist in the last decades. That also gives me pause, and I am watching that as well.

So you had a point about that, though stated in a trollish way.

In this case, though, you appear to be taking a shot at Liverpool fans just because a former Liverpool player did something crass and stupid, but it's unclear what larger point you might have other than making Liverpool fans uncomfortable.

That's pretty much the definition of trolling.

Edited by techboy

1 hour ago, techboy said:

Well, the reality is that it kind of is trolling.

I've been lurking here for a while, and I have never seen you participate. Do you even follow a soccer team?

I follow a team and do participate from time to time in here.

The problem for me is more that this thread has turned into the Liverpool FC thread. A lot of the Liverpool posters don't interact with other fans of teams unless its Liverpool related, or US Soccer/DC United related. This thread used to have more diversity in its topics, but that has died off as they have taken over to the point you are dismissed/ignored bringing anything else up.

Atlanta United got 73,000 fans to attend a match last night against DC United, and there has been no discussion of that. You rarely see some of the best goals from around the world or even in England in this thread. There is little convo of the other big matches going on in the sport unless Liverpool is involved.

1 hour ago, techboy said:

In this case, though, you appear to be taking a shot at Liverpool fans just because a former Liverpool player did something crass and stupid, but it's unclear what larger point you might have other than making Liverpool fans uncomfortable.

I actually took a shot at Liverpool fans. Like you said earlier, I acknowledged it could have been a cultural misunderstanding (altho that doesn't make Evra taking offense to it any less). My larger point was about tribalism in football and how ugly it is, and how fans will believe the sky is green if it curries favor with their club. Liverpool fans are honestly the biggest culprits of this that I have seen (and you followed the convo, you see what I meant with a few posters actually believing what they read in their fanzines or echo chambers over what unbiased observers have said) which is why I mention their issues and they respond in their tribal fashion.

I am okay with being criticized for my stance, but being called a racist and biased because I am black (which a poster in this thread said, and I can link the post if you want because I know said poster will deny he said that) or that I am an angry or sad person (and they are reading this based off a couple of posts in this thread and feel that way because they politically disagree with me) is more trolling to me.

I am happy to talk about soccer in this thread because I love the sport, but I am not happy about htis becoming the new Red and White Kop forum (and low key, the 'whataboutism' regarding the Carragher incident is what I am getting at).

Edited by BenningRoadSkin