Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Legislation has LONG since been needed to be brought on airline company's and European aways .....

Liverpool FC supporters slam Ryanair 'opportunism' as flights to Dortmund near £400 - Liverpool Echo

The return flights per se went through the roof as soon as the draw was made which made this one tricky. We fortunately got an a £53 flight to Cologne Thursday (then the short train ride), with a £100 return from Dortmund Sat'day, both in and out of Stansted. Which was about the cheapest we could find but still means a trek down South and an overnight in a Travelodge the Wednesday for the 7:40 AM flight the Thursday. It was silly money from most all airports up North. There was a real cheap flight back from Nuremburg (€55) I found with good times but the cost of the 4 hour train journey from Dortmund negated that. (And a great one from Bremen back to Manchester a mates got on but the logistics of leaving a car down South nullified that.). 

There's always options, but unless you're experienced, know what you're doing and are straight on the ball, the standard flights/ routes always jump excessively when there's a game to what they are any other day and something seriously needs sorting over it. 

Another continued problem for football fans that long needs addressing.

Hail. 

First official friendly confirmations the summer with our participation again in the ICC:

Chelsea in LA/ Pasadena July 27

Milan in San Fran the 30th

And Barcelona the 6th of August in Europe. Venue yet to be confirmed. Honestly didn't know that one was part of the ICC (thought it was just a friendly), but heard for a while it's between Dublin, Cardiff and London (probably the Emirates), for Barca. Also this is all apparently down to whether we're in the Europa qualifiers as Klopp want's a full strength squad for those, and the ICC organisers naturally want the top players out there. 

Hopefully this will be the last long haul for a while if he get's his way over not having pre-season disrupted by travel.

CeKIc2sUMAApFDO.jpg

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

@GHH, thanks for that posting.  Hey DC9, you interested in watching a Bayern v Inter match in Charlotte? :D

Now, on to other issues.  In the next life, I really want to come back as a London/English tabloid "reporter".

Wake up, really hungover from night before and have a deadline in 15 minutes, just use the "Tabloid Headline Generator" software to let you publish whatever you need in under 2 minutes.

Simply select (a)  Superstar player name, ( B) superstar team that he 'may' move to.  Put some extra words around both and voila, you have an article.  Extra points if you can connect said player to said team via coach.  More points if you include some ridiculous transfer fee.  Best if you include some vague wording about agents, player's friend/family/psychic.

For example, guess if the following is an actual headline/story or just my imagination:

CONFIRMED: Lionel Messi to Manchester City ...

LOL:  http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/confirmed-lionel-messi-manchester-city-11079888

more Ifs', but's, and maybe's than I have ever read in one article.

Edited by btfoom

Talking of steals ..... The Gotze talk intensified again. Fjortoft is claiming it's all but guaranteed for what's that's worth. But £31 million? Seem's ridiculously cheap to me for a top class player of his ilk and age. Even accepting he'll be in the last year of his contract from this summer, they have to be wanting more than that surely?

Hail. 

I saw Horn and/or the kid from Bayer Leverkusan over the summer, too.

Also heard and seen the Gotze deal is all but done and that we are the leaders in the club house on Xhaka.  Still think we should keep Kolo one more year and we need one more depth forward and a couple of fullbacks.  But if we can get lucky with health that's a dangerous side.

Edited by DC9
  • Like 1

@GHH, thanks for that posting.  Hey DC9, you interested in watching a Bayern v Inter match in Charlotte? :D

Maybe, a lot depends on what happens with me this summer as far as the job goes.

Also there's a snowball's chance that Barca v Liverpool ends up in Philly or DC still, which that will be the summer match priority if it happens.

Went and saw LFC play Milan in Charlotte two summers back and it was a lot of fun.  Very intimate stadium, but it's a lot like FedEx in that you're about half a mile away from the metro or the nearest parking lot, so make sure you get there about 15 minutes earlier than you want to.  Also their mass trans only runs like every 15 minutes or so, so if you  miss one you'll be waiting.

Speaking of German football, my daughters 4U coach played for FC Kaiserslautern.  I was so excited to see that she was going to get someone who actually knew the game and didn't just volunteer to coach, even at 4-U.

Schweinsteiger's career looks all but done. (Like it hasn't been since he left Munich.). Done his knee ligaments in training and is out the rest the year and Euro's. 

Hail. 

Never looked like he really wanted to be there anyway.  He's always been chunky, but he's no **** put on 20lbs since he's been at United. :lol:

First official friendly confirmations the summer with our participation again in the ICC:

Chelsea in LA/ Pasadena July 27

Milan in San Fran the 30th

And Barcelona the 6th of August in Europe. Venue yet to be confirmed. Honestly didn't know that one was part of the ICC (thought it was just a friendly), but heard for a while it's between Dublin, Cardiff and London (probably the Emirates), for Barca. Also this is all apparently down to whether we're in the Europa qualifiers as Klopp want's a full strength squad for those, and the ICC organisers naturally want the top players out there. 

Hopefully this will be the last long haul for a while if he get's his way over not having pre-season disrupted by travel.

My dude who covers the club says it's all but a done deal that it's Dublin, fwiw. 

Still a SNOWBALL's chance they'll move it to Philly or DC... but that dream dies if it isn't announced by the end of this week.

• Like 1

I saw Horn and/or the kid from Bayer Leverkusan over the summer, too.

Also heard and seen the Gotze deal is all but done and that we are the leaders in the club house on Xhaka.  Still think we should keep Kolo one more year and we need one more depth forward and a couple of fullbacks.  But if we can get lucky with health that's a dangerous side.

By all accounts (pull that chest in ****er!) we've also been at every one of Barca's Champions League games this year. Presumably watching Ter Stegan. (SHUP!). 

That's continued to be rumoured around £20 million. But if he's the guy for Klopp, pay it in a heartbeat. I've NEVER understood why clubs don't pay for 'keepers. Outside of a **** hit goalscorer, they're the single most important position on the team. 

Think I'll take in the German National team games the next few days. (And the U-21 for this 6'5 Hoffenheim centre back.). Want to scout the Cologne LB. Interesting when you start looking him up, his size jumps out. 6'1 and well built. Everything Clyne and Moreno aren't. Real theme going on here after the Grujic and Matip to get bigger and stronger. 

Hail. 

• Like 2

Man....

A legend died today, R.I.P. Johan Cruijff #Cruijff pic.twitter.com/izEDg15KKJ

CeUEXtsWwAAwxmR.jpg

68 years young.  RIP...

Awwwww man. Still the greatest European player of all time for me. Almost single handedly destroyed Shankly's first great side as a kid 5-1 in Amsterdam. And a man that was WAY ahead of his years in coaching and how he completely revolutionised Ajax, taking it on from even what Michels had done, and Barcelona. So many, LVG, Rijkaard etc etc benefited from his groundwork. 

Absolute all time World Legend.

New he had cancer. Didn't realise it was so severe and imminent. Real sad loss.

God rest. 

Hail. 

• Like 4

By all accounts (pull that chest in ****er!) we've also been at every one of Barca's Champions League games this year. Presumably watching Ter Stegan. (SHUP!). 

That's continued to be rumoured around £20 million. But if he's the guy for Klopp, pay it in a heartbeat. I've NEVER understood why clubs don't pay for 'keepers. Outside of a **** hit goalscorer, they're the single most important position on the team. 

Think I'll take in the German National team games the next few days. (And the U-21 for this 6'5 Hoffenheim centre back.). Want to scout the Cologne LB. Interesting when you start looking him up, his size jumps out. 6'1 and well built. Everything Clyne and Moreno aren't. Real theme going on here after the Grujic and Matip to get bigger and stronger. 

Hail. 

Well at least we can agree it won't be Mignolet, which I told you it wouldn't be AS the contract was getting signed.

I forgot we'll need to replace Skrtel, but I also think Gomez figures in the Center Back fold somewhere.  Might see a loan to a newly promoted club to get him time, but I'd keep him at the club if we end up in Europe next year to be on the Cup teams if nothing else while he plays himself back. 

I don't mind Clyne staying, but I think we have to let Moreno go.  He's so manic coming forward and he had flashes this year, but he just hasn't shown the growth.

Oh, LOVE Clyne lil' bro'. Outside of Zabaleta who's on the downside of his career, I don't think there's a better RB the PL. 

I was just making the point that we've gotten REAL small under Rodgers and he's completely addressing it and then some in his first signings/ strongly rumoured signings. 

Moreno on the other hand can do one!

Hail. 

• Like 1

Johan Cruyff played for the Washington Diplomats in the old NASL.

And I'll venture that anyone that got to see him play that year his mid 30's was EXTREMELY lucky indeed. 

'Legend' is WAY too oft over used in today's age. Often on guys that have done so little. But that genius from Amsterdam was and always will be a bonafide LEGEND!

RIP.

Hail.  

*Edit* Just seen your edit pj. Man alive, I've seen some all time greats play in the flesh. But Johan Cruyff ..... that's a SPECIAL memory I wish I could trade you for. 

Very sad day for us Dutch...a true legend and national hero gone, but NEVER forgotten.

I was also fortunate enough to see Cruyff in RFK a few times. Having grown up with Grandma and Grandpa dressing me in orange whenever possible, and Grandpa relaying a love of the beautiful game with his Dutch passion, I was truly blessed to be able to see the greatest my forefathers country had to offer.

I've shed a tear or two, but the memories will last with me forever.

RIP Johan Cruyff.

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 5

And I'll venture that anyone that got to see him play that year his mid 30's was EXTREMELY lucky indeed.

'Legend' is WAY too oft over used in today's age. Often on guys that have done so little. But that genius from Amsterdam was and always will be a bonafide LEGEND!

RIP.

Hail.

*Edit* Just seen your edit pj. Man alive, I've seen some all time greats play in the flesh. But Johan Cruyff ..... that's a SPECIAL memory I wish I could trade you for.

Yep. He was the star of the team. It was 80-81, so he was 33-34. I used to go to a few games a year. That's where I got my pennant. I was 12 when he came to the team from the LA Aztecs.

• Like 2

Very sad day for us Dutch...a true legend and national hero gone, but NEVER forgotten.

I was also fortunate enough to see Cruyff in RFK a few times. Having grown up with Grandma and Grandpa dressing me in orange whenever possible, and Grandpa relaying a love of the beautiful game with his Dutch passion, I was truly blessed to be able to see the greatest my forefathers country had to offer.

I've shed a tear or two, but the memories will last with me forever.

RIP Johan Cruyff.

Truly blessed indeed. Great story man. 

My heart goes out to a great footballing Nation loosing one of the men that elevated it way and above what a Country that size ever should of been and in so doing set the World standard and changed the way football has gone in the modern game. 

Absolute travesty the Netherlands and their mind-blowing 'total football' didn't win the WC in both '74 and '78. (1978, a tournament Cruyff boycotted down to the atrocious human rights issues under Argentina's hideous Military rule. A mark of the man.). 

Hail. 

• Like 1

Truly blessed indeed. Great story man. 

My heart goes out to a great footballing Nation loosing one of the men that elevated it way and above what a Country that size ever should of been and in so doing set the World standard and changed the way football has gone in the modern game. 

Absolute travesty the Netherlands and their mind-blowing 'total football' didn't win the WC in both '74 and '78. (1978, a tournament Cruyff boycotted down to the atrocious human rights issues under Argentina's hideous Military rule. A mark of the man.). 

Hail. 

This waning generation, possibly the best in Dutch history, with RVP, Robben, Sneijder, et al were young lads/new borns at the end of Cruyffs career, and he was such a huge influence on those guys. Unfortunately they weren't quite able to snatch a World Cup, but the past two have been about as exciting for Dutch football since the late 70's and the Cruyff era.

If you're an athlete in the Netherlands, you either have a ball on your foot or speed skates, the two national passions. And...of course, they're orange! 

Absolute all time World Legend.

God rest. 

Platini just said he was the GOT

Too bad Rinus Michels' total football didn't prevail in 74 :(

We will never know why he refused to go to Argentina in 78

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

Platini just said he was the GOT

Too bad Rinus Michels' total football didn't prevail in 74 :(

We will never know why he refused to go to Argentina in 78

Was that in the middle of all that Falkland stuff?

This was a good one from season one of 30 for 30 back in 2010 (I believe).  Had a couple of REALLY good ones for the World Cup that year.

Edited by DC9

Was that in the middle of all that Falkland stuff?

Some people assumed it was about the dictatorship of Videla, he later denied it. Falklands war was later.

This WC was a shame, players on drugs, referees bribed, Peruvian players bribed.

"former Peruvian Senator Genaro Ledesma has confirmed the shock result was agreed before the match by the dictatorships of the two countries." Link

We got robbed by the ref in the quaification round vs them.

Cruyff and Olsen, it takes two to tango !

https://vine.co/v/OidBq0FbAVl

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 2

Like Clyne a lot too tbf. Would take Seamus Coleman over present day Zabaleta every day of the week though.

That's not a bad shout at this stage of their respective careers.

One highly touted blue who has lost it is Stones. Still a long way to go like. And he's still only 21. But his defending has turned to absolute ****e this year to the point he's not even starting any more.

Martinez and the way he plays doesn't help that but he should be further along than he is.

Hail.