Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Really not happy with Skrtel coming in for Lovren.  Would've put in Toure.  Doubt he sees the field at all after this and getting sent off.  Absolutely horrible.

Flanno was a 4... 5 at best.

Joe Allen, after missing the sitter, was a 2.

Klopp should've put Henderson in about 60-65 minutes in because Southampton had the run of play in the whole 2nd half.  Left it way too late and it bit us.  I know he's injured, but he shouldn't be available if he was injured.

Benteke... he has 20 goals if he hits half of his sitters.  20.

• Like 1

I do not know WTF just happened. 

Well done Southampton But oh dear Red Men. From being in complete control to dying on or arses in a game you should never not of won. Terrible. 

That shocking Benteke miss man at 2-1 .....

The Anfield Chat ‏@TheAnfieldChat 7s8 seconds ago

Since Skrtel came on Southampton have had 3 shots on target and scored 3 goals.

Wouldn't put it all on him, two certainly were and then the pen.

Liverpool have conceded as many goals in 40 minutes with Martin Skrtel in the team than their previous 795 minutes without him.

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 2

that was a bad loss. not that southampton is a bad squad, but we were so well in control. the squad lacked that killer instinct today to fully step on an opponent's throat. sat back and played not to lose. should have been 4-5 goals in that... the two we had, plus allen's 1v1, benteke's miss, and one of the other many opportunities we had in the first. came out the 2nd half flat as a week old opened can of beer. that'll burn through the confidence built up from winning the tie with united. embarrassing loss. would hate to be a player in that post game locker room.

• Like 2

that was a bad loss. not that southampton is a bad squad, but we were so well in control. the squad lacked that killer instinct today to fully step on an opponent's throat. sat back and played not to lose. should have been 4-5 goals in that... the two we had, plus allen's 1v1, benteke's miss, and one of the other many opportunities we had in the first. came out the 2nd half flat as a week old opened can of beer. that'll burn through the confidence built up from winning the tie with united. embarrassing loss. would hate to be a player in that post game locker room.

Koeman deserves credit for the changes.  His changes gave him control of the midfield and we never got it back.  Coutinho had to cover for Allen and Can had to cover for Skrtel.  It was rough going forward at all after that.

Then given the general quality of a player like Skrtel and it was just not in the cards.

That's why I was SCREAMING in my living room for Henderson.  As bad a form as he's been in passing and shooting, he at least knows where to be.

I think that does it for the League.  It's Dortmund or bust.

Ever since we battered City after the final they've gone. Absolutely woeful today. Shocking defending on Utd's goal (great composure and finish from the kid like), and should be 2 down with a peno on half time ridiculously not given. 

Pep's got a massive rebuild on his hands. And he's never had to do that. Should be interesting next year. 

Hail. 

Well, I'm relatively happy Utd won. 

Keeps 4th alive. Been far better to of not f-ed it up today naturally, but until Skrtel reappeared we've been on a great run. Regroup and do 'Spurs after the break and see where we all end up. City are done. Utd are piss poor more often than not. West Ham up and down. Can't make a serious case for anyone to finish 4th as I type.

Hail. 

• Like 1

L'Equipe is reporting that Qatar WC organizers are thinking of using bedouin-style tent "cities" to accomodate fans due to a housing shortage. It jsut keeps getting better.

BTW, FrFan, we are headed to France for the first week of the Euros. We'll be in Paris and Bordeaux if you are close. 

Couple of interesting German bits and pieces the weekend. 

Our main European scout (Didi's brother. Nice connection) was at Cologne's game again. (0-1 home loss to Bayern.). That's quite a few times he's watched them. Reportedly for the obvious Horn and the LB Jonas Hector. Don't know much about Hector, but Horn would be a major upgrade on Mingolet and the apparent £7 million release clause would be a steal. Interesting that we keep watching Koln's games. 

Talking of steals ..... The Gotze talk intensified again. Fjortoft is claiming it's all but guaranteed for what's that's worth. But £31 million? Seem's ridiculously cheap to me for a top class player of his ilk and age. Even accepting he'll be in the last year of his contract from this summer, they have to be wanting more than that surely?

Hail. 

• Like 1

Couple of interesting German bits and pieces the weekend. 

Our main European scout (Didi's brother. Nice connection) was at Cologne's game again. (0-1 home loss to Bayern.). That's quite a few times he's watched them. Reportedly for the obvious Horn and the LB Jonas Hector. Don't know much about Hector, but Horn would be a major upgrade on Mingolet and the apparent £7 million release clause would be a steal. Interesting that we keep watching Koln's games. 

Talking of steals ..... The Gotze talk intensified again. Fjortoft is claiming it's all but guaranteed for what's that's worth. But £31 million? Seem's ridiculously cheap to me for a top class player of his ilk and age. Even accepting he'll be in the last year of his contract from this summer, they have to be wanting more than that surely?

Hail. 

I think it first comes down to how Ancelotti feels about him.  It has been obvious from the start that Pep didn't fancy him.  If the new boss doesn't want him, he'll be sold.

I do think that the valuation is well below what most teams will ask from English sides this window with all the 'new money', especially as you say that he's a top class player,  young, and really just coming into his prime.  If Pool get him for anywhere near that amount, it will be ridiculously good business.

• Like 1

I think it first comes down to how Ancelotti feels about him.  It has been obvious from the start that Pep didn't fancy him.  If the new boss doesn't want him, he'll be sold.

I do think that the valuation is well below what most teams will ask from English sides this window with all the 'new money', especially as you say that he's a top class player,  young, and really just coming into his prime.  If Pool get him for anywhere near that amount, it will be ridiculously good business.

Absolutely. Being in the last year of his contract obviously affects things. But £31 million for a World class, proven winner who's still only 23 would be daylight robbery. 

Everybody in Germany is repeatedly reporting it would be around that but I find it hard to believe someone like Gotze could be gotten for that. 

If he was under a long contract you could double that and more on the open market. Terrifically talented, intelligent footballer. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

Absolutely. Being in the last year of his contract obviously affects things. But £31 million for a World class, proven winner who's still only 23 would be daylight robbery. 

Everybody in Germany is repeatedly reporting it would be around that but I find it hard to believe someone like Gotze could be gotten for that. 

If he was under a long contract you could double that and more on the open market. Terrifically talented, intelligent footballer. 

Hail. 

One thing I've seen in the interviews is that Mario is a class act all the way through.  Never caused any issues in the dressing room, even though Bayern brought him in and never used him properly, IMHO.

I know it is naive to think that in the current world of 'big time soccer' that teams actually look out for players, but if Bayern don't see him in their future, it would be great for Bayern to work out something with Liverpool to (1) benefit the player - he needs to be starting regularly and his skill set would be perfect for Klopp who knows him inside and out, (2) benefit the German National Team (same reason as above), and (3) keep him out of teams that will just waste his talents (other EPL sides and top Spanish sides).  Lastly, if Bayern really have some decency and aren't about squeezing the last pound out of a player, letting him go to a team/coach that he wants to play for should be some consideration.

For me, if Goetze  isn't in Bayern's long term plans, I really hope he ends up at Liverpool under Klopp.  It would be great for him, great for Klopp, and I believe great for Liverpool.  Plus, the 31 or so million wouldn't be chump change for Bayern.

• Like 1