Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

So, here's my legit questions to you and all Pool fans - what happened to all that money you spent the last 3 years (about 300 million Euro)?  

Is playing Bordeaux to a draw acceptable to you?

Would finishing #6 in EPL be ok with you?

You sold Suarez and other top players and seem to have only mid-level players to replace.  Do you feel the same?

The **** do you think?

Yesterday, this Girl at my internship from Bermuda told me her team of choice was Blackburn

Really cool

Like a unicorn siting.

I'd imagine that if you're a fan of Celtic, Bayern, or LA Galaxy, you're pretty happy with your club's performance in the league.

Man City too, I'd think.

• Like 1

I really have to wonder why so many American's like Manchester City?

They seem to be the "trendy" pick with a lot of the "halfway" soccer fans in the media. 

I sort of had a soft spot for City (and Chelsea) before they got mega money.  Sort of saw them the way I saw Everton and Fulham (and I guess Blackburn to an extent).  But anytime there's big money in a team and consistent high finishes and major tournament play there will be a fan base.  How loyal that fan base is, that's another question.

DCU have sucked recently but as a casual fan, they aren't too bad

DC9 can talk more about them than me.

Love DCU.  Happy they are doing well this season, but really liked the way they played before Olsen.

Beat the crap out of the Crew this weekend.

Love DCU.  Happy they are doing well this season, but really liked the way they played before Olsen.

I have tried watching DCU so many times, but I cant get into them at all. Usually any DC team I get into. I am not completely sure why, but I find DCU incredibly boring to watch.

I have tried watching DCU so many times, but I cant get into them at all. Usually any DC team I get into. I am not completely sure why, but I find DCU incredibly boring to watch.

Ditto for me as well (well not all DC teams, depends on the sport).  But I just haven't been able to get into MLS as a whole.  

DCU have sucked recently but as a casual fan, they aren't too bad

DC9 can talk more about them than me.

Yeah, they are normally really good until the end of the transfer window when the MLS teams with money start flexing.

LA Galaxy... Seattle... pretty much all of the Canadian teams.  New York teams.

It's amazing how that stuff times out.  DCU beat up on LA Galaxy, with their best player suspended and no true striking option earlier in the year.  Now LA Galaxy have ****ing Robby Keane and Steven Gerrard.  Steven Gerrard.  Not to mention half of the USMNT.... we have Perry Kitchen and Chris Rolfe.

What DC United does with Draft Picks and the lowest budget in MLS is nothing short of remarkable.  Hopefully the new stadium times out right to where we can get Balotelli or Ibrahimovic.  Both of whom would absolutely destroy in MLS. 

But Ben Olsen is a fantastic manager.  CONCACAF Champion's League on the regular, top of the table finishes or just below.  He's fantastic and I am excited to see what he can do with legit players.

Sounds about right from a Bayern fan... don't even know they're struggling cause they aren't dominating so you won't watch :lol:

It's hard out there for a pimp, eh?

Yeah, outside of Hamid, Opare, Birnbaum (Keeper, CB, CB) and then Kitchen, Espindola, and Rolfe (CM, W, CM) they are pretty bad.  The fact that they have that strength up the middle and someone like Espindola to get out wide and provide a good service into the box allows them to steal a goal here and there.

No way they should be competing in MLS for a championship with that line up, but every year they rip off a bunch of wins early and then are able to fight and claw their way to a few draws late to keep their playoff spot. 

We're talking, the best player on the team is Fabian Espindola.  Who is that?

Exactly.

Just to appease Martin, I'll revise that... Bill Hamid is the best player on the team.  He's the keeper.  And will probably be the next USMNT keeper if Jurgen gets it right.

Edited by DC9

Yeah, they are normally really good until the end of the transfer window when the MLS teams with money start flexing.

LA Galaxy... Seattle... pretty much all of the Canadian teams.  New York teams.

It's amazing how that stuff times out.  DCU beat up on LA Galaxy, with their best player suspended and no true striking option earlier in the year.  Now LA Galaxy have ****ing Robby Keane and Steven Gerrard.  Steven Gerrard.  Not to mention half of the USMNT.... we have Perry Kitchen and Chris Rolfe.

What DC United does with Draft Picks and the lowest budget in MLS is nothing short of remarkable.  Hopefully the new stadium times out right to where we can get Balotelli or Ibrahimovic.  Both of whom would absolutely destroy in MLS. 

But Ben Olsen is a fantastic manager.  CONCACAF Champion's League on the regular, top of the table finishes or just below.  He's fantastic and I am excited to see what he can do with legit players.

Sounds about right from a Bayern fan... don't even know they're struggling cause they aren't dominating so you won't watch :lol:

It's hard out there for a pimp, eh?

Sorry, how about I just whine lots and talk all excitedly when they play bunker ball on the road vs Arsenal Red Bull NY.  OK?   ;)

Watch them play every week.  No complaints about current position, just would like to see it more like when they had Arena as a coach.  I do get upset that they just don't spend money, but my understanding is that when the new stadium is built, the owners will then spend some money (hopefully better than Pool). :o

• Like 1

Sorry, how about I just whine lots and talk all excitedly when they play bunker ball on the road vs Arsenal Red Bull NY.  OK?   ;)

Watch them play every week.  No complaints about current position, just would like to see it more like when they had Arena as a coach.  I do get upset that they just don't spend money, but my understanding is that when the new stadium is built, the owners will then spend some money (hopefully better than Pool). :o

I would certainly respect you more as a fan.

But you certainly aren't the worst we've seen around these parts.  We had a Manu/Bayern/Barca fan.  He hasn't come around much lately. 

And I hope they do get some decent players.  If Ben can perform well with the crap he gets dealt then who knows what he can do when he gets legit players.

I think it's unfair to compare him to Bruce Arenas at the moment.  Back then, the league wasn't as competitive and right now, Arenas has literally got himself a side that could avoid relegation in the premier league, or at least flirt with staying up.

Because I was playing my son in FIFA on the PS4 so much, I took the plunge and started following Arsenal. I can't believe I've been missing out on soccer all these years.  Can't wait for Arsenal/Chelsea tomorrow.  Should be great.  Unfortunately my son is a little punk and loves MU so I watch them every week too. 

• Like 2

Hamid is usually one of my early targets in a FIFA career.

I normally go after him, Kitchen, Villareal (LA Galaxy).  They all will top out at low 80s ratings for me.

Because I was playing my son in FIFA on the PS4 so much, I took the plunge and started following Arsenal. I can't believe I've been missing out on soccer all these years.  Can't wait for Arsenal/Chelsea tomorrow.  Should be great.  Unfortunately my son is a little punk and loves MU so I watch them every week too. 

The Arsenal crowd in here needs more help.  They out number Liverpool two to one easily... but we're the loudest mouths in town. 

Welcome!

I spent 12 years in La Rochelle the city of the 4 harbors. It's a couple of hours away from Bordeaux, I recommend you to hang around in the old harbor area. You'll find plenty of cork pulling places. ;)

One tipical local liquor I recommend you is Pineau des Charentes Rosé (the common one is white), it's a combo of Rosé wine and Cognac. Serve it before meal (apéritif) with ice cubes, be aware, since it's a combo of 2 liquors it can knock you off after a few shots.

Sadly, thanks to the ever reliable SNCF, we only had a couple of hours in La Rochelle today after a near 2 hour delay in Bordeaux due to 'mechanical difficulties.' At east they didn't strike again I suppose ..... So the afternoon there was cut short and I only got to have a meal and a few glasses down the old harbour and a little wonder into the old town. Beautifully picturesque place that would of been absolutely brilliant to spend a day in the sun around the harbour and a night in the old town. Somewhere I'd defo go for a short summer break to. 

LOVED Bergerac. Quaint and oldie Worldie France. You could just imagine it being more or less the same in Cyrano's time. (Even if he never actually lived there. Lol.). A maze of wonderfully preserved close knit streets with the traditional, medieval half timbered French buildings and some gems of squares. Wished we'd of had more then most of a day there. That's on the list of a return visit. Maybe over a weekend. Surrounded by valleys of vine yards. Idilic. 

Bordeaux was Bordeaux. Really liked it the first time I went. Didn't disappoint again. Had a fantastic local Merlot there yesterday which was the best wine I've had in years.

It was a pleasure to visit again my friend. Never have failed to love France. Paris and it's arrogant ass inhabitants aside. 

If I know my brother, he's never met a bottle or an Italian girl he didn't like.

He knows me TOO well. 

So, here's my legit questions to you and all Pool fans .....

In the words of my bro', 'The **** do you think?!'

Seriously man, what sort of ****ed up question is that? 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 2