Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Looking more and more like Roberto Martinez will be the new manager of Liverpool next week

He's called a press conference for Tuesday at Wigan to announce his future, amidst reports today that he was highly impressed with his weekend meeting in Miami with the clubs owners.

If he is to get the job, it's a HECK of a gamble from FSG. I sure as heck hope I'm proved totally wrong, but I fear the biggest decision they'll ever make could be one of the worst.

Congrats DCU. Keep it going right through November and win it all.

Hail.

I am excited about Martinez. I think the team will be exciting to watch. I think the key to the season and the future of the club is who will be appointed as the director. I think Begiristain would be a much better fit than Van Gaal. Both have the name cache to attract players along with the prestige of the club. But Begiristain is younger and less volatile. I think they will build a winner and an identity.

That in itself is presumably a major sticking point per Martinez himself the back end of last week. He wants full football control, and doesn't want to work with a 'director of football.' But then there's reports he was happy with how the weekend talks went, so who knows what Tuesday will bring?

I've no doubt the football would be attacking and entertaining. But I have major doubts personally a guy who's had the sum total of 4 years managerial experience (2 in the lower leagues with Swansea/ 2 fighting relegation with Wigan); is anywhere near enough experienced and qualified to be manager at one of the biggest clubs in World football. Throw in a playing career spent almost exclusively in the lower leagues, and I see him having a major job winning over the players. Let alone the fans.

If they do appoint him, they need to go all in and give him the time and money to transfer his philosophy. If they did that, guaranteeing him, as much as you can, a good few years regardless of how slow the progress might be, and committed to a rebuild without changing every year; I could get behind that. But MANY fans won't by mere nature of his name and the man he'd be replacing.

It'd be one HELL of a gamble from Fenway. The last thing they either want or need is fan unrest/ backlash with a lot of folk already asking serious questions of them and the direction, or lack of, within the club.

I like Martinez' potential a heck of a lot. But not at this time for my club. If he does indeed get the job, I'll be 100% behind him and hope he TOTALLY proves me wrong.

Hail.

That in itself is presumably a major sticking point per Martinez himself the back end of last week. He wants full football control, and doesn't want to work with a 'director of football.' But then there's reports he was happy with how the weekend talks went, so who knows what Tuesday will bring?

I've no doubt the football would be attacking and entertaining. But I have major doubts personally a guy who's had the sum total of 4 years managerial experience (2 in the lower leagues with Swansea/ 2 fighting relegation with Wigan); is anywhere near enough experienced and qualified to be manager at one of the biggest clubs in World football. Throw in a playing career spent almost exclusively in the lower leagues, and I see him having a major job winning over the players. Let alone the fans.

If they do appoint him, they need to go all in and give him the time and money to transfer his philosophy. If they did that, guaranteeing him, as much as you can, a good few years regardless of how slow the progress might be, and committed to a rebuild without changing every year; I could get behind that. But MANY fans won't by mere nature of his name and the man he'd be replacing.

It'd be one HELL of a gamble from Fenway. The last thing they either want or need is fan unrest/ backlash with a lot of folk already asking serious questions of them and the direction, or lack of, within the club.

I like Martinez' potential a heck of a lot. But not at this time for my club. If he does indeed get the job, I'll be 100% behind him and hope he TOTALLY proves me wrong.

Hail.

I can't really disagree with anything you said. I think that FSG wants to make Liverpool FC their club. That would never happen with Kenny there. They gave in to fan pressure to hire Kenny to bring to club some stability and direction. The problem is that Kenny is Liverpool FC and you can not replace him. If it where any other manager who spent all that money an average players and had such poor form at home, no one would have a problem moving on. But it is the King, the man who embodies everything that we love about Liverpool. It reminds me a lot of Gibbs 2.0. You can still see the brilliance that made them both great, but they were both slightly out of touch. Ultimately the game has passed them both by and that's nothing to be ashamed of. I think the next manager will be given the time and money to be successful. They want to be a top 4 team, they want league titles. Their model will be a model for the new Fair Play rules.

We'll see what Tuesday brings

FWIW, the local media in Wigan are speculating that Martinez has called Whelan's hand and has gotten more of what he wants at Wigan (bigger budget, commitment to improve facilities); and that will be tomorrows big announcement.

All speculation until Mr Henry and co actually say something. Gona' be a long 24 hours on this one.

Hail.

*Edit* Nice analogy BTW between Dalglish and Gibbs, what both men stand for and exactly what they mean to their respective teams; and what happened their respective second go-arounds.

It certainly wasn't for the lack of trying or love of their respective teams that it didn't quite work out the second time around. I think there's a lot in that of the game moving on considerably in both guys gaps, and them not quite catching the modern game back up. Certainly nothing either has any cause to be ashamed of as you said.

*Double Edit* And so the saga goes on .....

The press conference at Wigan scheduled for Tuesday is now off as Martinez is due for more talks at Anfield. Wigan are saying they want this sorting one way or the other by Thursday. The stumbling block is being reported as Martinez wanting full football control, whilst FSG favor a director of football model.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

God rest the Heysel 39.

27 years on, and the memories are still fresh in the mind for those of us in Brussels that day/ night. Whatever the mitigating circumstances, this isn't the time nor place to get into all that. A dark, dark day in my clubs rich history.

God rest. You'll never be forgotten. YNWA.

Hail.

Eh but I believe they won the Open Cup before being a rarity for a low division team to win it. DeRosario first started out in Richmond. I think it's pretty cool they're playing each other.

---------- Post added May-29th-2012 at 07:50 PM ----------

Saragosa slid in for a loose ball.

---------- Post added May-29th-2012 at 07:52 PM ----------

Saragosa slid in for a loose ball.

Phew. DCU gets through with a 2-1 win, 2nd goal coming in overtime.

Around the rest of the tourney:

Dayton Duch Lions knock out Columbus Crew

Charlotte up against FC Dallas

Minnesota Stars FC tied with Salt Lake

It's like the March Madness of US Soccer :)

DCU got bailed out on that final call. Everyone in that stadium including the DCU fans knew that was a penalty. You can't bring down a guy in the box. I'm sorry but if the #1 team can't defeat a USL team then they don't deserve to advance. This is coming from a mutual fan. Also I hate to say this by is it its always the absolute douchebag DCU fans that come to these games? They make the DCU fanbase look terrible. There are few good ones that come down but man there's a ton of douchebags. I know its not the DCU fanbase in general from games at RFK.

French roster for Euros:

Goalkeepers: Cédric Carrasso (Bordeaux), Hugo Lloris (Lyon), Steve Mandanda (Marseille).

Defenders: Gaël Clichy (Manchester City), Mathieu Debuchy (Lille), Patrice Evra (Manchester United), Laurent Koscielny (Arsenal), Philippe Mexes (Milan), Adil Rami (Valencia), Anthony Réveillère (Lyon).

Midfielders: Yohan Cabaye (Newcastle), Alou Diarra (Marseille), Florent Malouda (Chelsea), Marvin Martin (Sochaux), Blaise Matuidi (Paris St-Germain), Yann M'vila (Rennes), Samir Nasri (Manchester City).

Forwards: Hatem Ben Arfa (Newcastle), Karim Benzema (Real Madrid), Olivier Giroud (Montpellier), Jérémy Ménez (Paris St-Germain), Franck Ribéry (Bayern Munich), Mathieu Valbuena (Marseille).

Looking forward to what FrFan has to say about this.

-Italy is under investigation for Match fixing. Some major former and current players have already been arrested or called in for questioning. Cassano is back on the squad after "minor" heart surgery.

-Spain might be a little soft up front.

-Peter Schmeichel's son, Kasper, is on the roster for Denmark. Up and coming CM Christian Eriksen should get his "preview" during the tournament for the big clubs to see if he's ready for the big time.

-Ukraine. Ukraine is weak.

Edited by Elessar78

DCU got bailed out on that final call. Everyone in that stadium including the DCU fans knew that was a penalty. You can't bring down a guy in the box. I'm sorry but if the #1 team can't defeat a USL team then they don't deserve to advance. This is coming from a mutual fan. Also I hate to say this by is it its always the absolute douchebag DCU fans that come to these games? They make the DCU fanbase look terrible. There are few good ones that come down but man there's a ton of douchebags. I know its not the DCU fanbase in general from games at RFK.

You say you are a mutual fan, but your fanhood is clearly biased towards Richmond. But hey if that's how you want to roll, we beat you without Hamid, Jakovic, DeRosario, McDonald, and DeLeon (all starters), and with Dudar in his first game back from injury. We also beat you in your house.

And we did win, so we do deserve to advance.

Edited by renaissance

You say you are a mutual fan, but your fanhood is clearly biased towards Richmond. But hey if that's how you want to roll, we beat you without Hamid, Jakovic, DeRosario, McDonald, and DeLeon (all starters), and with Dudar in his first game back from injury. We also beat you in your house.

Lol I was gonna say, didn't we win?

I didn't see the game so I'm not sure which penalty RR is talking about but I do know that Richmond already had one PK to tie the game at 1-1.

Apparently Richmond's 35 year old goalie was on fire

Edited by Skinz4Life12

Lol I was gonna say, didn't we win?

I didn't see the game so I'm not sure which penalty RR is talking about but I do know that Richmond already had one PK to tie the game at 1-1.

Apparently Richmond's 35 year old goalie was on fire

There are highlights online. Which makes it even more annoying that they didn't stream the game last night.

By the way, shoutout to the reigning NASL champs, Minnesota Stars FC for their convincing 3-1 win over Salt Lake last night. This is the first year NASL teams have been eligible to compete in the Open Cup. Another NASL team, San Antonio Scorpions, beat Houston last night.

*FACE*

Sorry Richmond, but VAMOS UNITED!

Brendan Rodgers? Brendan fricking Rodgers? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18235961

I'm even less enamored by him than I was with Martinez. Talk about doing it on the cheap huh Fenway? Oh how the mighty have fallen. Good luck Brendan. Your gona' need it and more.

This could turn into Hicks and Gillet MkII. Utterly disgusted at recent events. Doing it on the cheap, rolling the dice, and hoping for the best. In what should of been the biggest appointment since Shankly back in '59 and laid the foundations for the next decade and more.

With absolutely no offense intended to anyone in this thread:

YANKS OUT!

---------- Post added May-30th-2012 at 09:04 AM ----------

Score one to the DCU fan. :ols:

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Wish the game tonight wasn't so damn expensive. Just can't justify $50+ for upper deck seats at a friendly (esp on a weeknight) when World Cup qualifiers are fast approaching. Glad it is televised, though!!!

Oh and I stand corrected about the DCU game - DeLeon did come on as a sub :) Pontius didn't play either, though. And for the record, I grew up going to Richmond Kickers games, and generally hope they do well.

Edited by renaissance