Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

US V Scotland Saturday Night on NBC Sports.

I expect the A team for the first of 3 friendlies before World Cup Qualifying begins June 8 (In Tampa, and I have Tickets !!!).

Also, fwiw, the way I can measure the increase in US stature around the world, is by looking at the number of Americans not just on rosters, but starting for top division teams around the World.

I remember the days when it was Earnie stewart and Thomas Dooley playing on top sides. and NOBODY else.

Now there are easily dozens and dozens of American players abroad, and most of them wont even sniff the USMNT roster.

It's slow, but it's progress.

I expect we will throttle Antigua and Barbuda on June 8, and then squeak out a close one later that week AT Guatemala.

..... Okay, on a totally different note, and this would probably need a response from one of our friends across the pond, I'm curious how much it costs to buy an English Soccer team. I didn't win the lottery or anything, I'm curious. I don't mean one of the top flight teams that costs 9 figures. I'm talking, what if you were a person of modest wealth (say, 50-60 million) but not own-a-country wealth, and you wanted to buy a cool sounding team that's in League Two or something, like Torquay United. Would you be able to reasonably buy one of those clubs and still have money to spend on players and working the team up the table?

It's all relative to assets, debts and liabilities. There's been more than a few instances of clubs being purchased for a ridiculous sum like a pound (about a buck 50), but they've usually had real bad debts that your obviously taking on. On a quick check on two league two clubs for example (the lowest professional English league), Oxford United were purchased for a pound back in '99, but also inherited the clubs £15 million debt (around 23 million dollars) and need for a new stadium. Swindon Town were purchased for £10 million (around 15 million dollars) back in 2007. Where as Charlton Athletic, who've just returned to the Championship having won League One last year, cost £50 million, including all the debt back in 2010. (Around 78 million bucks.).

Without being privy to clubs accounts, it's hard to say what it would cost you. Chances are you'd be taking on a substantial debt (there's very few clubs, if any even in the Premier League that actually run in the black to a profit) whomever you looked at. And you'd need quite a bit extra on top of maybe clearing that to put into the squad as well as doubtless the facilities and stadium.

50-60 million should see you more than good with room/ money to play with. But don't be expecting a return on that investment anytime soon, if ever unless things really rolled and you got real lucky.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

DCU has had some pretty impressive goals this year. Too bad DeRo got robbed on that bicycle kick against San Jose.

Anyways, we take sole possession of 1st place with a win tomorrow

You going tomorrow?

---------- Post added May-25th-2012 at 10:53 AM ----------

Roster announced

U.S. TRAVEL ROSTER BY POSITION - DETAILED ROSTER

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (7): Carlos Bocanegra (Rangers), Geoff Cameron (Houston Dynamo), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Oguchi Onyewu (Sporting Lisbon), Michael Parkhurst (Nordsjaelland)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Chievo Verona), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Jose Torres (Pachuca)

FORWARDS (6): Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Terrence Boyd (Borussia Dortmund), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Herculez Gomez (Santos), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

Can someone tell me why/how Kyle Beckerman continues to get called up??

No, I'm going out of town for the weekend. Are you guys going?

Yea we will be there.

Guzan's no-longer at Villa I believe after being released.

And there's not another US keeper better than that chump?

Hail.

I'm not the best judge of goalie talent, but I'm not sure why Nick Rimando is getting called up. There has got to be a younger guy who has shown some potential.

Ahhhh, see that was the ' ..... before I say something I shouldn't' line.

I would advise anyone planning on a trip to Italy that wants to sample Rome or Naples to stay WELL clear if there's a soccer match on. Italy can be dodgy at the best of times when it comes to soccer, but those two City's are NOT places to be on the streets if your foreign and not from either.

Sorry man, not meaning to seem like I'm having a go at you. Just still very bitter from 2010 and angry how UEFA continue to let this **** go down in Naples, as a few teams, most notably Bayern Munich fans found out to their cost this past season.

Hail.

No offense taken.

That's some crazy stuff. I'm truly sad to hear your story. Having lived in near Naples, back in the late 70's & early 80's, I have a soft spot in my heart for the area and the Neopolitans in particular. I guess that things have changed a great deal since then.....

I honestly don't see enough of the MLS ren to judge (although I am catching far more than I ever did down to you guys and always look for the DCU result); but Guzan for one has been pretty shocking the few games he has actually got to play in England.

I was kinda' hoping Hamid would force his way in this coming WC run, but you'd know far better than I if he's worth it or not. And Zac MacMath has apparently been heavily scouted by Everton. How promising he is I don't know, but there's been a few snippets on him locally linked to Everton the past year.

---------- Post added May-25th-2012 at 11:14 AM ----------

Having lived in near Naples, back in the late 70's & early 80's, I have a soft spot in my heart for the area and the Neopolitans in particular. I guess that things have changed a great deal since then.....

Maybe I'd of gotten a different impression of Naples if I'd been there as a tourist and not specifically for a soccer game. But the whole City just seemed to have an uneasy edge to it ya' know? A very, very 'moody' atmosphere that was very palpable if you weren't Neopolitan. Certainly not a place I'd want to be walking round alone. I don't know if it's the deprivation from Naples being one of Italy's poorest City's, as I've been to quite a few places in the South and not felt that, but it's certainly not a place high on my list of places to return to.

Hail.

I was kinda' hoping Hamid would force his way in this coming WC run, but you'd know far better than I if he's worth it or not. And Zac MacMath has apparently been heavily scouted by Everton. How promising he is I don't know, but there's been a few snippets on him locally linked to Everton the past year.

Hamid didn't exactly knock anyone's socks off in the Olympic qualifiers. He's starting to get back to form in league play now, though. This is why I'm most disappointed that the U23's didn't qualify for the Olympics. That's a ton of international experience that the younger guys are going to miss out on.

.... This is why I'm most disappointed that the U23's didn't qualify for the Olympics. That's a ton of international experience that the younger guys are going to miss out on.

Funnily enough, Beckham was bemoaning similar on British TV when the Olympic draw was made for the development of future players for the US National side and MLS as a whole.

Hail.

Looks like Liverpool have offered Martinez the Managers job.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18191006

I think he is a good coach but I wonder if he has the experience to manage the egos in the Liverpool dressing room and to do the rebuild needed IMO to ship 3 or 4 out and bring in 3 or 4 top quality players. I guess unless someone gives him a shot we will never know - but its a gamble.

What's been so laughable about that today Martin is Dave Whelan 'breaking' the news like he's uncovered some secret information he just has to tell everyone. 'I've given him a deadline of 7 days' ..... tell him then, not the whole freaking World. Another 'celebrity' chairman. Just what the game needs.

As for Martinez, I completely agree and feel it'd be in his best interests to stay at Wigan another 2 or 3 years, and ignor either our or Villa's overtures, He's only young and progressing. Moving up too soon might bite him on the ass badly career wise.

We'll see, but I'm not taking it as gospel until it happens.

Hail.

*Edit* Nice to see Fenway filling two key off-field positions today with their own guys from the US, both of who read highly credible.

What's been so laughable about that today Martin is Dave Whelan 'breaking' the news like he's uncovered some secret information he just has to tell everyone. 'I've given him a deadline of 7 days' ..... tell him then, not the whole freaking World. Another 'celebrity' chairman. Just what the game needs.

As for Martinez, I completely agree and feel it'd be in his best interests to stay at Wigan another 2 or 3 years, and ignor either our or Villa's overtures, He's only young and progressing. Moving up too soon might bite him on the ass badly career wise.

We'll see, but I'm not taking it as gospel until it happens.

Hail.

*Edit* Nice to see Fenway filling two key off-field positions today with their own guys from the US, both of who read highly credible.

I think that he will play a very attractive brand of football. I think they will surprise people next year, but will be competing for the title in 2-3 years

---------- Post added May-25th-2012 at 08:51 PM ----------

Looks like Liverpool have offered Martinez the Managers job.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18191006

I think he is a good coach but I wonder if he has the experience to manage the egos in the Liverpool dressing room and to do the rebuild needed IMO to ship 3 or 4 out and bring in 3 or 4 top quality players. I guess unless someone gives him a shot we will never know - but its a gamble.

I am interested in the structure. I think they will employ a big name Sporting Director (or whatever they want to call it) I think they will rely on the director to scout and attract players while Martinez will have final say on players. As I said before, I like Martinez. I like the idea of getting a manager on his was up and build a legacy.

Edited by jobaga

I think that he will play a very attractive brand of football. I think they will surprise people next year, but will be competing for the title in 2-3 years

Certainly possible but It'll be difficult, because where do you find players that will take you up and over and what do you do with the dead weight contracts you already have? With that said . . . Citeh's got a lot of players under contract so they might not be in the market as much. Now that Chelsea have that elusive CL title, maybe Abramovich takes his foot off the pedal, lets RDM coach at least a season (he's built up enough good will). United will look to retool. I bet Arsenal are more open to spending money as well, but we'll see.

Madrid are always looking for top talent. Barca has an aging squad so they'll look for top talent as well. The Italians and Bayern are always in the mix.

Frankly, the most exciting team the rest of the decade MAY BE borussia dortmund IF they can keep players and coach.

Well, Martinez has told Wigan tonight that the only way he'll leave for Liverpool is if he gets full control; so there could well be a long way to go on that one if it's to come off. I like Martinez' potential too jaboga. But he's way too inexperienced for a job such as this at this moment in time IMHO. A couple of years in the lower leagues at Swansea and a couple fighting relegation at Wigan leaves a MAJOR step up so soon in his career. And I fear he'd be on a loser from the get go, having to not only win the players over, but the vast majority of the fanbase. It'd be like Hodgson, with many fans against him from the get go.

A REAL hard sell for Fenway (who are on VERY rocky ground with many to begin with. Not that I agree with that view personally) to replace a legend with a name like him. However promising a future he may have.

And I tip my hat yet again to Pep Guardiola. 14 major trophy's in 4 years is beyond unbelievable. What he's produced at Barcelona over the duration stands up alongside ANY manager/ coach in ANY era. I got the sense watching that earlier that it wasn't so much a Cup Final as Barcelona wanting a fitting end and tribute to Pep's reign.

Good luck Vilanova trying to follow that. Your sure as heck gona' need it.

Hail.

Certainly possible but It'll be difficult, because where do you find players that will take you up and over and what do you do with the dead weight contracts you already have? With that said . . . Citeh's got a lot of players under contract so they might not be in the market as much. Now that Chelsea have that elusive CL title, maybe Abramovich takes his foot off the pedal, lets RDM coach at least a season (he's built up enough good will). United will look to retool. I bet Arsenal are more open to spending money as well, but we'll see.

Madrid are always looking for top talent. Barca has an aging squad so they'll look for top talent as well. The Italians and Bayern are always in the mix.

Frankly, the most exciting team the rest of the decade MAY BE borussia dortmund IF they can keep players and coach.

I guess it depends on Financial Fair Play and how serious UEFA takes it. I think Liverpool will miss out on the 'top names' but there are plenty of good players that are out there. I think the new structure will be more about creating an identity and finding players to fit in. I hope it happens sooner rather than later. I would like to see Gerrard win more silver. I like Dortmund, but I think eventually Klopp goes to Munich and the players will leave.

i don't get cell phone service where i'm at right now, but I was able to log in and see that DCU won 3-2 tonight putting them in sole possession of 1st place. Disappointed I couldn't be there to see the game tonight, but I'll be at plenty more games this year. VAMOS United!!!

Looking more and more like Roberto Martinez will be the new manager of Liverpool next week

He's called a press conference for Tuesday at Wigan to announce his future, amidst reports today that he was highly impressed with his weekend meeting in Miami with the clubs owners.

If he is to get the job, it's a HECK of a gamble from FSG. I sure as heck hope I'm proved totally wrong, but I fear the biggest decision they'll ever make could be one of the worst.

Congrats DCU. Keep it going right through November and win it all.

Hail.