Sticksboi05

ES Soccer Thread

GHH, I'll eat my words now. Maybe the EPL does know what it's doing. That was a helluvan exciting day. Da gunners snatched victory from the jaws of defeat/carl jenkinson/indifference.

It made my day to see Wenger "dying" on Pat Rice's shoulders after near misses. "Carl Jenkinson" is the kid from down the street that mows your lawn, not plays right back for a champion's league side.

I'm just shocked at how bad our Center Backs are. I know Wenger puts a premium on technical ability, but i'd trade that in for a bit of expertise in man-marking. I think with a CB pairing you can have one of the two that is more technical but the other needs to just bring the pain. No one will ever rave about Puyol, Cahill's, Kompany, Vidic/Ferdinand as "technical" players. I just don't need a center back that can contribut ein the attack.

I'm not sure what any Liverpool supporter would be smiling about at this point. Carling Cup isn't something I'd be satisfied over. Most use that tourney as a way of training younger players. How many teams actually take that tourney serious? It's like the US Open Cup of England. People only somewhat care when it gets to the Final. FA Cup is a slightly different story but Chelsea won that one.

Funny how the League Cup only becomes an 'important' trophy in Utd parlance when yers actually win the thing. (Not necessarily YOUR views. But it sure as heck is the vast majority of Utd fans in this Country.).

The fact that the Football League Cup has been denigrated over recent years (although it's starting to become more prevalent again with more top sides taking it seriously) is to the complete detriment of the modern day attitude amongst the bigger clubs in particular. You start the season in England, there's three trophy's you can win. The League, the FA Cup, and the League Cup. It guarantees you European qualification before the Springs over, and a day out at Wembley . It's a major competition. However disrespected it's been in the Premier League era.

Oh, and whilst I won't and haven't shy'd away from the disgrace in the main that has been Liverpool Football Club's 2011-2012 season; the record books will show it's been more successful than Utd's down to that 'Us Open Cup of England.'

Last time I checked, yers get nottin' for finishing second. ;)

I feel your pain man. :evilg:

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Funny how the League Cup only becomes an 'important' trophy in Utd parlance when yers actually win the thing. (Not necessarily YOUR views. But it sure as heck is the vast majority of Utd fans in this Country.).

The fact that the Football League Cup has been denigrated over recent years (although it's starting to become more prevalent again with more top sides taking it seriously) is to the complete detriment of the modern day attitude amongst the bigger clubs in particular. You start the season in England, there's three trophy's you can win. The League, the FA Cup, and the League Cup. It guarantees you European qualification before the Springs over, and a day out at Wembley . It's a major competition. However disrespected it's been in the Premier League era.

Oh, and whilst I won't and haven't shy'd away from the disgrace in the main that has been Liverpool Football Club's 2011-2012 season; the record books will show it's been more successful than Utd's down to that 'Us Open Cup of England.'

Last time I checked, yers get nottin' for finishing second. ;)

I feel your pain man. :evilg:

Hail.

All I know is if Utd won the Carling Cup and at the end of the year wasn't even near contending for the EPL championship I'd be disappointed personally. I hold my club at higher regard than that. Even a FA Cup wouldn't change my mind. Yeah its a nice consolation prize but at the end of the day it's just that. Consolation. I'm sure there's one who would argue EPL is a consolation to the Champions league. My argument to that would be the competition in the EPL is by far worthy of its own championship. I'd much rather Utd be in a position to win the league like it was than to just be happy with winning a Cup that is not exactly held at high regard. If Utd's standards are just winning the Carling Cup or FA Cup I'd say there's more issues than just giving away a championship.

I know QPR was down a man, but when they tied it at 2-2 and knowing there was only about 3 minutes left, why did they kick the ball back to MC? It was like they were giving up. You can still play ball possession and run the last 3 minutes off or at least half the time. While it was exciting to watch, it was still bazzar.

---------- Post added May-14th-2012 at 08:49 AM ----------

What a crazy day today. Sitting here hoping ARSEnal chokes so Spurs can relax in third. Don't want it to come down to next week. COYS!

Spurs fan also? Now Arsenal has to lose next weekend.

I mean this with zero disrespect, but if Ian Darke was the 'best soccer pbp man' as I keep reading on here, he'd still be working in England and not covering games for ESPN in the States. I don't mind him, but there's better guys out there that you guys probably haven't come across out there.

He surely is the best over here. Our soccer commentators are atrocious for the most part. I do like listening in on the Sky feeds but since I don't have Fox Soccer it rarely happens.

England squad announced. Thoughts?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/16/john-terry-england-euro-2012

England's 23-man squad for Euro 2012

Goalkeepers Joe Hart (Manchester City), Rob Green (West Ham United), John Ruddy (Norwich City)

Defenders Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), John Terry (Chelsea)

Midfielders Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Scott Parker (Tottenham Hotspur), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Ashley Young (Manchester United)

Forwards Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Welbeck (Manchester United)

On standby Jack Butland (Birmingham City), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea).

In the main I have no quibble. Downing from Liverpool out for Johnson in from Man City would be the main swap I would make.

I like Andy Carroll being in - he finished the season strongly and offers something different. Rio Ferdinand out is the right call - he is not fit enough to be counted on to be available every game. I would have left Terry out as well though as he does not have the pace to cope at International level - he was never fast but he is SLOW now.

Any manager would have picked about 2/3 of this squad - the talent available and the options are limited I'm afraid.

hellas once again will surpirse everyone like 04.

Can they afford to send a team :evilg:

that depends on many examples.. ill name some...

1- goldman sach's flat out scre**D us offering bonds that were never attainable.

2- germany and england banks also had a hand in this as well

3- elected officals ate allot of the bribes and also stashed them away to other countries so that they will not pay taxes.

4.- they have money the higher rich people that is, they just have it hidden and in cash, due to them not paying taxes and not in the books.

5. lets be honest all along the mediterianian coast work comes 2nd, relaxing and taking it easy comes 1st. example. spania, italia, portugalia, and so on...

and the kicker one of the best back 4 and 2 up and coming mids...

kyriakos papadoplous (schakle 04), sokratis papadoplous (werder bremen), avraam papadopolous (olympiakos), vasillios torosidis (olympaikos) jose holbaes (olympiakos)

and of course watch out for ioannis fetfatzidis (olympiakos) very creative with the ball, and if fully healthy the u-19 euro man of the tournament sotiris ninis!

really cant wait!!! and the kicker we have a super star in the making that is coming out of la masia (barca) schools hes 13 right now so... wears the #10 so lol.. well see lots of time to develop. just stay healthy unlike ninis :(

England squad announced. Thoughts?

Surprised to see a lad from Birmingham City on call-ups.

Keepers are good.

I'd put in Jagielka over Terry for principal alone.

Scott Sinclair in over Downing, Grant Holt in over just about anyone at striker but Rooney. Kyle Walker in for Glen Johnson if he wasn't injured, though I'd prefer to keep Johnson in the squad. I actually think there's some depth at RB, Micah Richards would probably be awesome on any other team he's just stuck on the bench at City.

Any manager would have picked about 2/3 of this squad - the talent available and the options are limited I'm afraid.

Agreed with that. I say I'd like to gut about half of the team but there's no one really to replace them with. Unless you went a full youth movement to try and build for the future, but I don't think that's something the media could tolerate over there.

Always find myself cheering for England in these tournaments. Good luck to you guys.

Edited by Old Bay

Jordan Henderson's on stand-by. That tells you all you need to know about the dirth in talent amongst English players. But screw England, there's FAR bigger news today .....

Surprised but not surprised that FSG have acted now and let Kenny go. And not half as sad I always thought I would be when the time came again. I personally thought he deserved at least until Christmas, but then when the league form was as disgraceful as last year on top of all the money spent it's not surprising. 3rd lowest goals tally in a season in Liverpool's history, 8th place and a zillion miles off even a Champions League place, let alone a challenge; only 6 home wins all year (First loss to WBA at Anfield in 50 years/ Fulham and Wigan's first ever wins) et all. Absolutely shambolic and it's regressed badly the longer it's gone on. The cups just papered over some massive cracks.

I love and respect the man to bits, but the signs where not promising for it to get any better.

Where we go now I don't know. The owners you presume must have someone contacted already to get this done before the Euro's start, or else why make the move? The only man I can see that would turn things around I can neither see leaving Madrid, nor could we probably afford him. But if FSG really want to get this club back to where everyone so craves it to be they should go ALL out for him. I hope for Henry and Werners sake they get this one right.

Thanks for everything Kenny lad. You'll always be a living legend in this City. But it just didn't work for whatever reason your second go-around and it probably was time.

Hail.

*Edit* But just for Richmond, as bad as it was we still won more silverware than you. :pfft:

Well, after beating Cardiff City 5-0 aggregate, the mighty Hammers play Blackpool in a one off for the last promotion to the Premier League. I expect positive results this Saturday.

If the Richmond Kickers win their US Open Cup game they will face DC United IN Richmond. Oh snap.

I know right. How am I suppose to approach this situation? One team I drive up to see a bunch and the other I go to see every game here since their local. Dilemmaville.

---------- Post added May-16th-2012 at 07:37 PM ----------

*Edit* But just for Richmond, as bad as it was we still won more silverware than you. :pfft:

How'd that Swansea game work out for you guys?:pfft:

Well, after beating Cardiff City 5-0 aggregate, the mighty Hammers play Blackpool in a one off for the last promotion to the Premier League. I expect positive results this Saturday.

I'm sure Big Sam will wave at Blackburn as they pass each other on the escalators. :(

good game for DCU last night. We dominated Colorado. Good crowd too for a Wednesday game. Probably b/c of the living social deal

Here's a not too tough question ... since the English Premier League was founded in '92 (21 years), 45 teams have participated. Seven teams have been there all 21 years. Can you name them?

Here's a not too tough question ... since the English Premier League was founded in '92 (21 years), 45 teams have participated. Seven teams have been there all 21 years. Can you name them?

Just a guess, I won't cheat and look, but I going to say Manchester City isn't one of them, I'm pretty sure they're fresh on the scene with all the oil money. I'd guess the following seven.

Man U

Chelsea

Arsenal

Liverpool

Aston Villa (they've been bad the past few seasons but historically in the top half, I think)

Tottenham

Everton

Just looking at the Premier League table (again, I'm convinced Man City isn't one of the seven) these are the seven teams that jump out at me, though I had a hard time deciding between Everton and Fulham for the last spot.

Just a guess, I won't cheat and look, but I going to say Manchester City isn't one of them, I'm pretty sure they're fresh on the scene with all the oil money.

Man City had a great history but fell all the way to Division 2 in the 90s.

As Oasis were big Man City fans, there was a funny version of Wonderwall at the time with lyrics about how bad they had become.

..... though I had a hard time deciding between Everton and Fulham for the last spot.

Everton are the second longest current serving top flight club, having come back up in 1954. They split Arsenal (1919 onwards) and Liverpool (1962 onwards.). Everton also hold the record for most seasons total in the top division in England at 107; followed by Aston Villa (99) and Liverpool. (95.).

You were spot on on the 7 clubs to play in every 'greed-is-good' league season the past 20 years.

Hail.

*Edit* I hope to Hell FSG are just doing their 'due diligence'so to speak and covering all options in speaking to Martinez; and it's a smokescreen for either AVB or the dude at Madrid he learnt his trade under.

If they aren't, they either have SERIOUS big ones; or their dumber than the average Dallas fan. I like Martinez' potential a lot, but he's got nottin' like the experience to tackle the ego's in that dressing room.

*Edit* I hope to Hell FSG are just doing their 'due diligence'so to speak and covering all options in speaking to Martinez; and it's a smokescreen for either AVB or the dude at Madrid he learnt his trade under.

If they aren't, they either have SERIOUS big ones; or their dumber than the average Dallas fan. I like Martinez' potential a lot, but he's got nottin' like the experience to tackle the ego's in that dressing room.

I don't think you have a shot at the 'Special One' though he would be just what you need. What about Guardiola who is now out of contract from Barcelona? Again you might not have a shot at him but he would have the credibility to come in and command the dressing room.

I tend to agree with you about Martinez that he lacks the big club experience.

Whoever gets it needs to do a clear out and I wonder if there will be the budget to do that.

I tend to agree on Mourinho. Although if there's one thing that would attract his ego in England it's restoring Liverpool to greatness. Pep would probably have been a better option if they'd hung fire on Kenny until Christmas, and then approached him if things had been as bad. Taking him on his word, it would appear he's determined to take a decent break before he gets back into it.

The most realistic choice I see is Villas Boas. They want (and need) a name that will boost spirits, impress players, excite fans, and will realistically promise a return to the CL and to the top rank of European football, and generally instil hope for the future. The disgraceful way he was treated at Chelsea aside, he ticks all the boxes and gives them the young, long term guy they been seeking. Let's not forget he was the most sought after manager in Europe last summer after all he'd achieved in such a short spell.

Anything else (a 'lesser' name like Martinez or Rodgers for example) would see a rebellion, which is the very last thing the Americans need right now.

Time will tell on the finance's, but they can't be questioned for all they've spent thus far since day one. There was a lot of rumors that the money would be well cut back this window; but then your neither gona' publicise what you have for fear of driving up prices; and after the profligacy Kenny showed for little return, I'm not sure I'd of trusted his judgement with a big kitty again either.

Whomever they decide, they'd better make the right choice for all concerned. Biggest decision this football clubs faced in MANY a long year.

Hail.

Time for Bayern to join Liverpool, Madrid and Milan at Europe's top table and bring ol' big ears back to Munich for keeps!

GO MUNICH! Make the rent boys SUFFER!

Hail.