Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

For those that aren't aware, today is the 27th anniversary of a truly horrible day in English football where 56 innocent people tragically lost their lives in a horrific fire at Bradford : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradford_City_stadium_fire

God rest.

Hail.

*Edit* A 12 year old boy was also killed at Birmingham that day when a wall collapsed which he and his father were hiding behind during a riot between Birmingham City and Leeds United. It'd be remiss to not remember him either.

A truly horrible day in English soccer history.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Interesting point Elessar man.

Funny how that hardly ever seems to happen in England, either on the last day or opening day. But meh, Sunday equals a new ground to the list so I'm happy with Swansea, lol.

FWIW, I have a horriblel feeling (for me anyways) that QPR will ruin the party and hand Utd the league. And not to be the kiss of death after congratulating you a few weeks back on third, but I can see Arsenal totally missing out on the top four altogether come Sunday. 'Spurs have an easy home game against a Fulham side who neither travel well and are on their summer vacation already. Newcastle look good to win at Everton, And West Brom will want to go out on a high in Hodgson's last game.

Good luck man, I fear your gona' need it.

Hail.

I hate Nasri, so I'm hoping QPR does spoil the party. Oh, I can too. It's all a head game with this team, when they're feeling it they can shut down Man City. When they're not they're no better than mid-table. Everton have been posting some good results of late, so who knows what they'll do.

My only "consolation" is that there has to be a perfect storm of events for us to miss out on Champions League football. We have to lose or draw, Newcastle and Spurs both have to win, and Chelsea must win the Champions League. Not impossible, but I CAN'T BE THAT UNLUCKY?? :D

I had to sign away a lot of privileges to my wife so I can go to a bar and watch the match in "peace". Considering it's mother's day that's no small task. So we're celebrating Mother's day on Saturday.

Good luck to you too.

I'd love to know why there was so much injury time for Man City to pull that off.

5 minutes was a lot of time. I was watching more of the Man United game and flipped over and seen 5 minutes stoppage time for City/QPR. Who was injured in the 2nd half?

5 minutes was a lot of time. I was watching more of the Man United game and flipped over and seen 5 minutes stoppage time for City/QPR. Who was injured in the 2nd half?

Joey Barton elbowed Tevez and then punched Aguero.

A couple of goals in stoppage time, quite a thriller. Just noticed that Arsenal is becoming a foreign team: Szczesny - Jenkinson, Vermaelen, Koscielny, Andre Santos - Rosicky, Song, Coquelin, Benayoun, Gervinho - van Persie.

Edited by FrFan

How was Man City bailed out? Barton did a completely moronic thing and deserved to be sent off, which took several minutes to get him off the field and allowing for there to be 5 additional minutes of stoppage time. Man City won on their own accord and saying they were bailed comes off as sour grapes. Maybe if Man United hadn't lost to City twice this season then they and their fans would be celebrating right now.

I mean this with zero disrespect, but if Ian Darke was the 'best soccer pbp man' as I keep reading on here, he'd still be working in England and not covering games for ESPN in the States. I don't mind him, but there's better guys out there that you guys probably haven't come across out there.

As for today, I'm not happy at all that City have (bought) the league. But I'm absolutely ecstatic Utd have finished trophyless. For want of a better expression, the lesser of two evils came out on top so that works for me. Not sure at all what Richmond's alluding to in City 'being bailed out'; but if it's the absolute thug that is Joey Barton, who should now receive a VERY lengthy ban getting sent off and subsequent injury time at Eastlands; then the irony in that given similar for Utd in the Premier league era is so thick it's stifling.

On a personal note, as happy as the Utd collapse has made me, it leaves me as equally sad to reflect that the biggest cheer from the away end in another woeful Liverpool outing today at Swansea today came when the news of the injury time goals where going in at City. A sign of just how far we've fallen when a L'pool game is all about Utd not winning the league.

But meh, when the bottom line is silverware, we've had a better season over our 'friends' from down the East Lancs (grins, BIG @ Richmond and co); so that's something to keep me happy over the summer.

Come on Munich now next Saturday.

Hail.

I would not watch EPL on ESPN if Ian Darke was not doing the game. His "Goal Goal USA" call is one of the best, and helped increase exposure to soccer in the states. Ian Darke is basically the reason I started watching the Women's World Cup :)

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind him at all. And it's great he's turning people onto Soccer in the US as witnessed by the praise he get's on here. I've just never held him as high personally as people in this thread have compared to other English commentators.

How McManaman's got himself a gig out there alongside him just blows me away. Fantastic player and a great guy, but the last thing I ever expected to see Maca doing was summarizing on TV. Let alone US TV.

Hail.

I'm not sure what any Liverpool supporter would be smiling about at this point. Carling Cup isn't something I'd be satisfied over. Most use that tourney as a way of training younger players. How many teams actually take that tourney serious? It's like the US Open Cup of England. People only somewhat care when it gets to the Final. FA Cup is a slightly different story but Chelsea won that one.

Edited by RichmondRedskin88