Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Honestly never saw that coming. Long time since I've gone into a final SO confident .....

Only one man to blame for yesterday. Dalglish. Ridiculous choice of personnel (Just HOW bad do Downing and more so Henderson have to get before their dropped? Murder? Rape? Just what's it gona' take? Spearing Kenny lad? In a Cup Final? Suarez on his own up front? Where the **** was Maxi who's run Chelsea raged twice this year and always scores against them?); ridiculous tactics, yet again; and shocking preparation. I don't think I've EVER seen a team as flat and as limp in a Cup Final as Liverpool that first half today. It was like they were playing a pre-season friendly. Utterly disgraceful. And he STILL wasn't gona' change anything until his hand was forced by Chelsea's second. A Chelsea that were TOTALLY there for the taking, as showed when he finally did change, went to the 4-4-2 he should of started with, and brought on Carroll who had probably his best game for the club; and the rent boys couldn't get out of their own half. But the damage had already been done by then after that pitiful first half. Don't know if Carroll's second should of stood or not. Hard to tell in the ground, and opinions been divided on the texts I received on the way back up. But regardless, we deserved jack for starting that slow and approaching the first 50 odd minutes in that manner.

A season that would of been a success with two trophy's, albeit papering over the cracks; now becomes exactly what it is. Shocking and totally unacceptable for Liverpool FC. 8th place and sliding fast. All a zillion miles off even a top 4 slot, never mind a title challenge; with a League Cup.

I love Kenny Dalglish to death. Along with Joe Gibbs, I have no more respect for any sportsperson in any sport. What that man means to my City really cannot be described in words. Both for what he's done for my football club, and more so the human side and the personal sacrifice he made in throwing his door open to a whole City in the aftermath of Hillsborough to the point he wore himself into the ground through the burden and stress of shouldering a City's grief on his shoulders. I really can't speak highly enough of the man.

But people need to move past King Kenny the player, the greatest ever Liverpool player and one of the finest footballers Europe's EVER produced who ranks right up their with Cruyff, Zidane and anyone else you care to mention; and look at King Kenny the manger part II. Which this year has regressed to such an extent that he's making Roy Hodgson's tenure look half impressive. Shocking, over priced buys; who continue to under-perform on the pitch coupled with more and more bizarre tactics and team selections. Not to mention the ridiculous, insular attitude he's gotten toward the media in an almost Ferguson like, 'everyone's out to get us' siege mentality.

I pray he turns things around quickly and get's back to the Liverpool way of doing things, a way he's long been steeped in. Because he's on a VERY short leash and FSG have shown with how they dealt with Camolli that that they won't stand idly by and see their massive investment flittered away like this.

Tired and utterly pissed off. All I need now is Newcastle to beat Citeh and hand the title to Utd to complete the weekend 'joy.' :(

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Honestly never saw that coming. Long time since I've gone into a final SO confident .....

Only one man to blame for yesterday. Dalglish. Ridiculous choice of personnel.

One of my sons is a Chelsea fan and one follows Liverpool. Made for an interesting day in our house yesterday .....

I agree with you on the personel. I understand to an extent going like for like with Chelsea on formation but if you do that you have to play Carroll up front as the target man who can hold up the ball and play with his back to the goal - that's not Suraez. Whoever you play though you then ha e to have players from midfield who get close to your front man or he just gets isolated which is what happened first half.

Spearing was at fault for both Chelsea goals and even after that the defending was poor - your keeper should have done better with the first as well. Henderson and even Gerrard were poor in midfield and dropped way too deep - Gerrard should have been playing much higher up the field linking with Suarez. Downing is out of position playing in the system Liverpool played.

Once you had a go once Carroll came on Chelsea looked what they are - an ageing team, past their best but based around a solid core of players and a system they know well. It was a missed opportunity for Liverpool.

On the header from Carroll that almost crossed the line watching live I shouted "goal" but after watching the replays it was a great save from Chech - not all the ball crossed the line IMO.

Bottim line is it was a game between two mediocre sides but Chelsea were better tactically and had more leaders on the pitch. They just about deserved the win IMO.

The defending was school boy on both goals Martin, not just poor.

The first was ridiculous. Spearing giving the ball away in the first instance, then Enrique, yet again, getting the wrong side of his man, For two experienced full backs, the fundamentals of both Johnson and Enrique are beyond laughable at times, And what Reina, who's form has really dipped this year, was doing heck only knows. I can only assume he was anticipating a cross-shot and moved too early. But a 'keeper should NEVER get beat on his near post like that. And the space Drogba had for the second was equally as criminal.

I fully concur with the rest of your assessment. Again, one man was to blame for yesterday. From his preparation, through his team selection and even more ridiculous tactics. The manager.

A missed opportunity indeed.

Hail.

The defending was school boy on both goals Martin, not just poor.

The first was ridiculous. Spearing giving the ball away in the first instance, then Enrique, yet again, getting the wrong side of his man, For two experienced full backs, the fundamentals of both Johnson and Enrique are beyond laughable at times, And what Reina, who's form has really dipped this year, was doing heck only knows. I can only assume he was anticipating a cross-shot and moved too early. But a 'keeper should NEVER get beat on his near post like that. And the space Drogba had for the second was equally as criminal.

I fully concur with the rest of your assessment. Again, one man was to blame for yesterday. From his preparation, through his team selection and even more ridiculous tactics. The manager.

A missed opportunity indeed.

Hail.

As much as I wanted to see the Reds win, there is a silver lining. The loss will force the team to re-evaluate the current direction and philosophy. Two trophies would validate an otherwise failure of a season. Hopefully there will be drastic changes made this summer...

Basically its Man City's title to lose. I'd say its about wrapped up for them considering who they play the last game. If they loss it would be insane chokejob after Utd choked the title away to them.

All things being equal it should be, but QPR may well still need a point to stay up so they won't be laying down for City by any means.

That said, O'Neil won't lay Sunderland down the same way Bruce did in two last day Utd title clinchers in recent season's at Wigan and Sunderland, so neither team will have it easy.

Hail.

It's a shame I'm only a mild premiere league fan, been getting into it the past 3 or 4 years because my buddy is a huge Chelsea fan and the last 2 World Cups have been so amazing. I pull for City but I'm not coming in here chest-thumping or anything. It's funny, I knew I wanted to pull for a Manchester team because my ex-GF studied abroad in Manchester in college so it seemed fitting. I started out pulling for United because I *thought* I liked Rooney. But then on FIFA a few years back I created myself, signed with Manu and they ended up letting me go at the end of my first season and City wanted to pick me up. Pissed me off. Crazy how that swayed me so easily. Then I realized I hate Rooney and United reminds me of the Cowboys. Old Trafford, the "Theatre of Dreams".....smh that's so ridiculous :)

I never get to see any BPL matches, only on occasion do I see a replay but I did get to watch the Manu and City match last week. I had the same feelings I get when I watch a Skins game, ridiculously nervous, biting my nails, just a nervous wreck. I understood what was on the line. I can honestly say this sport really is amazing, so much skill from the athletes it blows my mind. I've really started learning about the players by watching behind the scenes on City TV and I really respect a lot of them now becuase they generally seem like good people....maybe with the exception of Balotelli, but he IS funny as hell.

My favorites on the team are Kompany and Yaya Toure now, I really like how they carry themselves off the pitch. I think Kompany is just a tremendous defender from what little I know but Yaya blew my mind with how tough he was against United in the midfield. It amazes me how he can keep his footing in traffic and he's a strong guy, pretty agile and fast as well, just couldn't believe how athletic that guy was. I've always liked Ivory Coast players like Drogba from watching the World Cup but if I ever have some extra money you can believe I'm getting a #42 shirt.

Anyway, I know QPR is going to fight and I really hope for huge, life-long City fans they can pull this off. No direspect to United fans here, but it seems like they've had PLENTY to cheer about recently. Just a shame I can't watch the match and be more involved. Whatever happens, I think I've been converted and will probably get the package next season so I can watch all the games. This sport truly is the beautiful game - except for all the flopping on light challenges :)

Edited by blitzpackage

..... Thinking tomorrow's the last I'll see of Rovers on tv for a long while.

Good luck man. I sincerely hope you at least take it to the last game, And if you do, with Chelsea doubtless doing the modern thing, resting players and just going through the motions before their Champions League final, you'll never have a better chance of winning down there.

As long a shot as it looks, keep believing. Soccer's a strange, strange game at times.

And for any non-Europeans/ South/ Central Americans in particular who still doubt the attraction of the round ball game; please, read and re-read blitz' from the heart post above from a 'newbie' to the World game. If the honest passion in that post doesn't sway you then nothing will ever turn you on to what the rest of the World has been in love with the past Century and more.

Hail.

Sorry OB. I can only imagine what relegation feels like. Really hoped for your sake you'd take it to Sunday. But if truth be told, Blackburn deserved nothing from tonight, and each and every last one involved should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. That was about as limp and gutless a performance as Liverpool's the first 50 minutes or so Saturday. Your season wasn't decided tonight of course. But having to win at home to have any chance of staying in the top flight and putting up such an abject display as that is nothing shy of criminal. Again, I feel for ya' man.

So now it's down to two teams for the last relegation spot. Bolton and QPR. And with Bolton looking good to win at a Stoke side already on their summer vacation, QPR really need to get a point from Man City.

Sunday should be quite the day at both ends of the table. Utd fans, as much as I hate to say it, you may get that miracle yet.

Hail.

Yeah, that sucked.

If the owners would back the club I wouldn't be so knackered but I don't think we'll see the Rovers back up for a long time. The youth squad has lots of promise, and even a lot of the bench players do but Kean and Venky's have doomed this team to failure, unfortunately. I really gave both the benefit of the doubt for a long time and that was all we got. We're going to be gutted in the offseason even more so than we already have.

I agree that the players should be ashamed, but some reports I've been reading, it doesn't surprise me. When Dunn came off I knew it was over. Outside of Robinson, he was the only one who displayed consistent heart.

So did Chelsea just lay down to the Reds or what? 4-1 now.

It appears Chelsea is putting all their eggs in one basket, which of course is winning next Saturday's UEFA CL Final. Chelsea had a chance to get into the top 4, even the top 3 if they had taken care of their last couple of EPL games, which they haven't done, or seemed to really care with the line ups that are being sent out.

I never get to see any BPL matches, only on occasion do I see a replay but I did get to watch the Manu and City match last week. I had the same feelings I get when I watch a Skins game, ridiculously nervous, biting my nails, just a nervous wreck. I understood what was on the line. I can honestly say this sport really is amazing, so much skill from the athletes it blows my mind. I've really started learning about the players by watching behind the scenes on City TV and I really respect a lot of them now becuase they generally seem like good people....maybe with the exception of Balotelli, but he IS funny as hell.

It's amazing how much I agree with you. I started watching the Premier League back in 2006 and I became enamored with Man City. After watching my first season I realized that I completely related to the Man City fans. A once prominent and historic club had been in the dumps for years, they reminded me of the Skins. I wasn't alive when the Redskins were great so I immediately related to the long-suffering that City fans felt. I now find myself rooting for City every week.

I also find it unprecedented how City TV provides access to the fans of players day to day interactions. I think it's great for the club and I've been hoping the Redskins adopt a similar strategy.

If anyone is interested on some of the behind the scenes stuff at Blackburn I present to you these two pieces:

http://www.thewildblackburnrover.com/2012/05/journalists-defence.html

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1065968/deputy-ceo%27s-letter-to-blackburn-rovers-owners-revealed?cc=5901

That sort of culture is toxic. Unless there's a drastic change Rovers will continue descending I fear.

So did Chelsea just lay down to the Reds or what? 4-1 now.
It appears Chelsea is putting all their eggs in one basket, which of course is winning next Saturday's UEFA CL Final. Chelsea had a chance to get into the top 4, even the top 3 if they had taken care of their last couple of EPL games, which they haven't done, or seemed to really care with the line ups that are being sent out.

Pretty much, on both counts. As good as some of Liverpool's play was (why wasn't that attitude there from the get-go Saturday when it REALLY mattered?); Chelsea were a complete non-entity. It could well of been 6 or 7. Terry and Ivanovic played like they where both on their summer vacations already given their both suspended from the Munich game. And the rest of the players outside of Rameires hardly got out of first gear.

Fully expecting to see Chelsea in the same European competition as the team they lost to tonight next season, the Europa League, as I can't see anything other than a Bayern victory a week Saturday. And with it any chance Di Matteo had of the job.

VERY dangerous game to put everything on one game.

Hail.

*I'll try look at those tomorrow OB when I'm a little less tired.

Europa League Final 22 minutes or so from kicking if anyone's interested.

Not quite the Champions league, but still a major European competition, however bigger clubs try denigrate it. And this should be a real entertaining final between Bilbao and Atletico Madrid showing just why the Spanish league is by far and away the best in Europe at present,

---------- Post added May-9th-2012 at 01:54 PM ----------

What a finish from Falcao for the second straight Europa League Final.

Early goal. Just what a final needs.

Hail.

With all the talk on the 'Skins 80th anniversary alternate jersey, just wanted to say I'm pleasantly surprised with what Warrior Sports have come up with for Liverpool FC. Simple, old school. Love the return to what the badge should be, whilst still remembering the 96 on the back. And always thought yellow on red works best of all.

Best since the '80's IMHO. Well done Warrior Sports. You ROCK! :beavisnbutthead:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/pics-players-show-off-new-kit

Hail.

Standard Charter needs to invest in a logo redesign. It's the most generic font ever. It looks like someone did it in Word. But I like the kits... simple classic.

--------

Onto the EPL in general. I think they can use a lesson from the NFL on scheduling. It's the penultimate weekend and there are no big clashes, most are giants versus minnows. They need to close out the season with some blockbbusters, instead they played the most meaningful game in a decade with 2 left to play. In the absence of a playoff system, the last month should be a murderer's row.

Yeah, you run the risk that the season is out of reach and meaningless by the last weekend but I can't believe there isn't even a major derby to play. Wouldn't it be more interesting if Man Utd/Citeh, Gunners/Spurs, L'pool/Everton were happening this weekend? Regardless of standings, those teams would still battle it out.

Interesting point Elessar man.

Funny how that hardly ever seems to happen in England, either on the last day or opening day. But meh, Sunday equals a new ground to the list so I'm happy with Swansea, lol.

FWIW, I have a horriblel feeling (for me anyways) that QPR will ruin the party and hand Utd the league. And not to be the kiss of death after congratulating you a few weeks back on third, but I can see Arsenal totally missing out on the top four altogether come Sunday. 'Spurs have an easy home game against a Fulham side who neither travel well and are on their summer vacation already. Newcastle look good to win at Everton, And West Brom will want to go out on a high in Hodgson's last game.

Good luck man, I fear your gona' need it.

Hail.