Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

We had it worse, GHH... (though I sense that's not the intent of your post on Martin Tyler)

Gus Johnson kept saying "Madrid"... not Atletico or Real... it was just "Madrid" for both sides. He is hilarious.

A was probably too busy chewing on his fingernails to notice that during the FA Cup final last week Gus Johnson kept reminding everyone that he was unaware the "d" in Giroud is silent.

Lol. I need to you tube this cultural linguist of the microphone.

Congratulations Carlo Ancelotti. You now stand side by side in greatness with Bob Paisley as the only Managers/ Coaches to have won 3 of the 59 European Cups. 32 years Bobs record stood. Quite the duration.

And Paisleys last came against Real in 1982. Weird kind of symmetry for it to equalled by that team now.

As humble as Bob was, something tells me he'll be up there nodding to Signor Ancelotti with a 'well records are there to be equalled like' in his cardigan and slippers whilst Shanks is busy telling Busby and Revie and Stein and anyone else that will listen Bob still got there first with the best club in the World lol.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

As humble as Bob was, something tells me he'll be up there nodding to Signor Ancelotti with a 'well records are there to be equalled like' in his cardigan and slippers whilst Shanks is busy telling Busby and Revie and Stein and anyone else that will listen Bob still got there first with the best club in the World lol.

Hail.

Felt a little weird watching "United" the other day, about Busby and the plane crash.  My wife meant well (she's come a long way with the Redskins and Caps, baby steps with Liverpool, but she saw English Soccer and thought she'd done well).  But that was a rough watch.  I liked his style for sure if that was anything close to historically accurate.

dc-screaming-eagles-la-barra-brava.jpg

Let's take the top of the table tonight boys!

Felt a little weird watching "United" the other day, about Busby and the plane crash. My wife meant well (she's come a long way with the Redskins and Caps, baby steps with Liverpool, but she saw English Soccer and thought she'd done well). But that was a rough watch. I liked his style for sure if that was anything close to historically accurate.

.... !

Sir Matt Busby (Who played for Liverpool. Never forget that)/ Bill Shankly/ and Glasgow Celtics Jock Stein; all born into tough as Hell Ayreshire/ Lanarkahire mining villages in the South West of Scitland in the early part of the 19th Century. And three of the most honest, dedicated, hard working, 'proper' men you could ever wish to meet. Three absolute giants of the British game without whom heck knows where their respective clubs would be today.

It's amazing to think one small area of Scotland could produce such greats. But honestly, without that horrifically hard upbringing of absolute nothing and despair, I don't think the character of those great men would ever of been forsterd into what it became.

I'm no military man like yourself but I couldn't wish to pick three greater leaders of men to lead my side, at whatever, into battle.

Hail.

*Edit* I coul tell tale after funny tale on Shankly, but thinking of the above, he used to call Busby, and latterly Leeds Don Revie, every Sunday morning, go on for a good half hour about how great his boys were/ had been the day before, then hang up. They knew it was coming. They knew they wouldn't get a word in edge ways. But that was Shanks and it just was what it was so they happily took it.

Poor fools ha ha.

A much older cousin (a blue. Don't ask) had a funny run in with him after a night derby at Anfield back in the late '60's. Our Ste had been in the old Main Srand, in his suit with his blue scarf as was the attire back then having got a ticket next to his mate, when they bumped into Shanks in the corridor under given an interview to a press journo. (Must of been the real good seats back then with access to the bar ha ha.). Anyways, as Ste tells it, Shanks stops the interview, goes 'Good God Son, wait right THERE!' amd hurries off. So Ste an his mate, not daring to disobey the great Bill Shabkly, paitiently waited and he returns with a crisp note saying 'I've booked the taxi son and this will cover the fare' ..... 'Wow, that's awfully kind of you Mr Shabkly. I don't know what to say' said our Ste thinking he was getting a free ride home. 'No worries son' said Shabks, 'I hate to see anyone suffer like that. The taxi will take you to Broad Green Mental Hospital to cure you of this blue disease!' ..... Cue hillarity from everyone around. Stevens never lived that one down. Classic Shankly. He was made for this town and we where made for him.

If you ever want inspiring, google some classic Shankly quotes. You WON'T be disappointed.

• Like 1

We had it worse, GHH... (though I sense that's not the intent of your post on Martin Tyler)

Gus Johnson kept saying "Madrid"... not Atletico or Real... it was just "Madrid" for both sides.  He is hilarious.

A was probably too busy chewing on his fingernails to notice that during the FA Cup final last week Gus Johnson kept reminding everyone that he was unaware the "d" in Giroud is silent. 

Man....listening to Wynalda trying to tells us that Costa playing for just 9 minutes was "intentional" was cute as well today 

• Like 1

Gus is getting worse, not better. Alarming call for action. And why is Wynalda there? FOX SPorts is just recycling their Fox Soccer talent instead of going out there and buying more talented individuals. Ugh. I hate Fox's crews. Warren Barton, Wynalda, etc. Just a nightmare :laugh:

A much older cousin (a blue. Don't ask) had a funny run in with him after a night derby at Anfield back in the late '60's. Our Ste had been in the old Main Srand, in his suit with his blue scarf as was the attire back then having got a ticket next to his mate, when they bumped into Shanks in the corridor under given an interview to a press journo. (Must of been the real good seats back then with access to the bar ha ha.). Anyways, as Ste tells it, Shanks stops the interview, goes 'Good God Son, wait right THERE!' amd hurries off. So Ste an his mate, not daring to disobey the great Bill Shabkly, paitiently waited and he returns with a crisp note saying 'I've booked the taxi son and this will cover the fare' ..... 'Wow, that's awfully kind of you Mr Shabkly. I don't know what to say' said our Ste thinking he was getting a free ride home. 'No worries son' said Shabks, 'I hate to see anyone suffer like that. The taxi will take you to Broad Green Mental Hospital to cure you of this blue disease!' ..... Cue hillarity from everyone around. Stevens never lived that one down. Classic Shankly. He was made for this town and we where made for him.

If you ever want inspiring, google some classic Shankly quotes. You WON'T be disappointed.

That is hilarious :lol:

Not sure many American coaches can get away with that.  You have to be very comfortable with the city.  Maybe Belichik and some college coaches.

Ah ****ing DC... come on...

Time to bring in Espindola.  Johnson works only slightly harder than Jozy.

Gus is getting worse, not better. Alarming call for action. And why is Wynalda there? FOX SPorts is just recycling their Fox Soccer talent instead of going out there and buying more talented individuals. Ugh. I hate Fox's crews. Warren Barton, Wynalda, etc. Just a nightmare :laugh:

Alexi Lalas is very good.  But he works for ESPN.

For as much crap as I give sportscenter, ESPN FC and the Soccer staff is very good.  If you're worth a darn they will swoop in and take you.

Man....listening to Wynalda trying to tells us that Costa playing for just 9 minutes was "intentional" was cute as well today

He seriously said that? He seriously believes Simeone would waste a valuable substitution 9 minutes into the biggest game in soccer?

Honest to God question. Do Fox think y'all know jack **** about soccer and can treat you all like dumb ass 'Mericans who know no other sports outside of US sports?

I have a serious revulsion for the agenda filled garbage that Fox News spouts but I didn't realise Fox Sports was little better.

Hail.

He seriously said that? He seriously believes Simeone would waste a valuable substitution 9 minutes into the biggest game in soccer?

Honest to God question. Do Fox think y'all know jack **** about soccer and can treat you all like dumb ass 'Mericans who know no other sports outside of US sports?

I have a serious revulsion for the agenda filled garbage that Fox News spouts but I didn't realise Fox Sports was little better.

Hail.

Gus is a big name.  He was the voice on Madden a couple of years back (not sure if he still is, I didn't buy the new one and I only play 2010 because that was the last year it was good) but they are probably trying to play off of that.

It's insulting, but I ultimately think the result are articles like ix posted.  Gus Johnson isn't going to bring some new viewers in... if you are watching FA Cup or CL it's because you enjoy the sport.  But we will let people know when we don't appreciate your product.

I mean, remember a few months back when Forbes went after Tim Howard? :lol:

goooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllll

ESPINDOLA!!!!!!

I mean, remember a few months back when Forbes went after Tim Howard? :lol:

You leave Timmy Tourette's alone. (Just messing MisterP before you pounce.).

He has enough problems playing playing over the park. No wonder he thinks every other player/ club/ game is 'awesome' or whatever his word of the day is.

Hail.

That's now more red cards than goals for Eddie Johnson.

Time to explore other options.

These guys played well on Wednesday without him.  Need to figure out how to get rid of him.  No excuses for that kind of play.

Hail.

He said that dead ass serious.

i think they believe that can by on names like Ronaldo, Real, etc. The rest of the broadcast is secondary. 

Gus isn't a bad P-B-P guy. He may be a little obnoxious but he at least does his home work for soccer. He's excellent calling football tho 

That's now more red cards than goals for Eddie Johnson.

Time to explore other options.

These guys played well on Wednesday without him.  Need to figure out how to get rid of him.  No excuses for that kind of play.

That guy is a different breed man. 

That guy is a different breed man. 

He killed it in Seattle.  I don't get it.

I know they have a better midfield but he has done zero work except in the final third.

It anyone needs something to watch:

The 4 year plan is great

It's about the small English soccer club QPR and how they try to get to the premier league after being taken over by new owners

Even if you don't like soccer, it's a great sports doc with greats behind the scenes footage

I posted this in another thread

• Like 1

It anyone needs something to watch:

The 4 year plan is great

It's about the small English soccer club QPR and how they try to get to the premier league after being taken over by new owners

Even if you don't like soccer, it's a great sports doc with greats behind the scenes footage

I posted this in another thread

QPR just got promoted to Premier league via the playoffs. They are circa £200M in debt with a very rich Indian owner still pumping money in. I wouldn't call them a small club and it's certainly not a grass roots club made good through hard work and beating the system etc etc. they just bit relegated last season from the Premier League as well - so they got back up first time and that's probably saved them from a huge financial problem.

Guys...this doc is set back in like 06-07. It's right when they were first overtaken so at the time, they were a small club

Jeez lol

The description I posted was for another thread that didn't have soccer fans in it.

Is that the BBC one that starts off with the Italian F1 dude owning QPR A?

I have some recollection of watching that just for the crazy I-tie. Doesn't he shout instructions down to the pitch from the stands? Or maybe try's sacking the manager during the game? There's some crazy **** I'm trying to recollect

Hail.

Is that the BBC one that starts off with the Italian F1 dude owning QPR A?

I have some recollection of watching that just for the crazy I-tie. Doesn't he shout instructions down to the pitch from the stands? Or maybe try's sacking the manager during the game? There's some crazy **** I'm trying to recollect

Hail.

Yep. They went through like 4-5 managers

Yep. They went through like 4-5 managers

Right. Can't for the life of me think of his name. Crazy grey haired Italian. Massive in Formula 1 racing . Completely bat **** crazy.

Yeah, I remember watching that when it aired. Quite entertaining and eye opening in a 'you are ****ting me!' kind of way that top businessmen can be so dumbass stupid.

Hail.

Just caught a brilliant piece on the TV from Blackburn with I think the Chief Exec walking round the town handing out 20 'Golden Tickets' to the first people he sees wearing Rovers shirts. The 'Golden Ticket' being a free season ticket for next season to coincide with the 20 year anni of Rovers Premie League triumph.

The look on one young kids face (couldn't of been more than 6) out shopping with his mum was a joy to behold.

Brilliant idea and fabulous to see a football club giving back to the community that supports them.

Hail.

• Like 1

Right. Can't for the life of me think of his name. Crazy grey haired Italian. Massive in Formula 1 racing . Completely bat **** crazy.

Yeah, I remember watching that when it aired. Quite entertaining and eye opening in a 'you are ****ting me!' kind of way that top businessmen can be so dumbass stupid.

Hail.

Flavio Briatore, iirc.

Football clubs are ran like a joke.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27579306

Spurs appoint Mauricio Pochettino as their new boss.

As a Southampton fan I am gutted to see him go, it was bad enough that we are likely to lose Lallana & Shaw over the summer but I was expecting that. To lose the manager as well is a real blow and puts a real feeling of uncertainty around the club after the great season that we had.