Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/soccer/12/02/platini.qatar/index.html?sct=sc_t2_a3

Platini backs idea for winter World Cup in Qatar

KIEV (Reuters) -- UEFA president Michel Platini says he would be willing to move European soccer club competitions in order to allow the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to be played in the winter.

The World Cup was "the most important thing" and it would be better to play the tournament when the weather was cooler, Platini said.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/soccer/12/02/platini.qatar/index.html#ixzz1fymmiecK

SOOOOOOOO.

Qatar bribes officials at FIFA, and promises to be able to combat the heat with cutting edge cooling technology. Which turns out to be........wait for it.........MOVING THE WORLD CUP TO WINTER TIME!!!!

I wish the US would tell FIFA to go **** themselves and organize a tournament over the summer that the WC is SUPPOSED to be held, but now apparently might not be because the thiefs at FIFA awarded it to a third world ****hole flush with cash but lacking any ability to organize their own infastructure.

Think about it. If you are Spain, would you rather your players leave their club teams in the summer to come to the US for a world wide tournament, or would you rather them leave their club teams in the middle of club season (Im sure ManU, Chelsea, Etc etc will be thrilled as well) to travel to the middle east?

I thought it was an awful idea to have it in Qatar, but now I'm thinking it's a better tournament if we have it in December. Players will be closer to their peak and their legs will be fresher. The cooler temperatures will allow for more spirited play.

It's going to be a disaster no matter when it's played there.

Because they dont have the stadiums, the infastructure or the security needed to put the event on. Their bid claimed (in addition to their cutting edge cooling technology) that they build new stadiums, hotels, a new airport all in place and would contract out to other nations for security forces.

They simply arent big enough to hold this event.

I've been enlightened RichmondRedskin88...(yes, I googled it)

I never knew that's how it originatedI actually have a lot of friends who are big fans of the club that use the term.

Regarding the world cup in Qatar, I don't think it'll be a disaster. It's the 21st century; world class infrastructures can be built anywhere in the world if the money is there & money won't be an issue for a global event such as the world cup.

However, WC in December is weird. It's like moving football season to April...just feels weird.

Because they dont have the stadiums, the infastructure or the security needed to put the event on. Their bid claimed (in addition to their cutting edge cooling technology) that they build new stadiums, hotels, a new airport all in place and would contract out to other nations for security forces.

They simply arent big enough to hold this event.

If a country like South Africa, with widespread poverty can build stadiums I have no reason to believe a cash flush country like Qatar cannot do the same. All those things you mentioned, can be "fixed" by throwing money at the problem. The heat could not. I have no desire to attend this WC, but I think it will happen.

I don't know if any of you follow college soccer at all, but I'm pretty excited b/c my school is playing the Tarheels for the NCAA title tomorrow. I've never followed a team that has won a title before (i was only 6 when the Skins last won), and this feeling is new and exciting. I'm just proud of my school for being unseeded in the tourney and earning their way to the title game.

I don't know if any of you follow college soccer at all, but I'm pretty excited b/c my school is playing the Tarheels for the NCAA title tomorrow. I've never followed a team that has won a title before (i was only 6 when the Skins last won), and this feeling is new and exciting. I'm just proud of my school for being unseeded in the tourney and earning their way to the title game.

Awesome. I don't know if you're a fan of soccer at all but it's nice to see people support it in some capacity. Are you going to go to the game?

Awesome. I don't know if you're a fan of soccer at all but it's nice to see people support it in some capacity. Are you going to go to the game?

No the game is in Alabama and I have finals and projects to finish up. They are busing students who want to go down there for the day, but I don't know what they are majoring in to be able to pick up and leave right in the middle of finals like that lol. Must be nice. I would love to go.

I follow international soccer and try to stay on top of the big happenings in club soccer. It's easy to follow college soccer though since i actually have a team I'm loyal to besides team USA.

No the game is in Alabama and I have finals and projects to finish up. They are busing students who want to go down there for the day, but I don't know what they are majoring in to be able to pick up and leave right in the middle of finals like that lol. Must be nice. I would love to go.

I follow international soccer and try to stay on top of the big happenings in club soccer. It's easy to follow college soccer though since i actually have a team I'm loyal to besides team USA.

Is the Final Four for the men's college soccer not being shown on ESPN2? I could have sworn that usually the Final Four and Championship game was shown either on ESPN or ESPN2.

Is the Final Four for the men's college soccer not being shown on ESPN2? I could have sworn that usually the Final Four and Championship game was shown either on ESPN or ESPN2.

I honestly don't know where it's being televised. The local sports bars have been showing our games so I haven't really thought twice about it. Worst case I will stream it online if i'm too busy tomorrow.

2011 Tournament

Regional winners after first two rounds (November 17 and 20):

Third Round Winners (November 27 at campus sites):

Semifinals (December 9, TV:ESPN2/ESPN3.com, Hoover, Ala.):

National Championship (December 11, TV:ESPN2/ESPN3.com, Hoover, Ala.)

We went to the final 4 in Richmond a few times back when I was in middle school. It was always a lot of fun, especially going to get my early dismissal note for the first day and there would be a line of kids who were all leaving for the same reason :)

Champions League Knockout stage draw:

ZENIT ST PETERSBURG v BENFICA

CSKA MOSCOW v REAL MADRID

BAYER LEVERKUSEN v BARCELONA

BASEL v BAYERN MUNICH

AC MILAN v ARSENAL

NAPOLI v CHELSEA

LYON v APOEL

*Grumbles about how I hate UEFA and how darn lucky Arsenal, Citeh, Utd and Stoke are with spring trips to Milan, Porto, Amsterdam and Valencia respectively.

2 or 3 days break in Amsterdam, Porto or Valencia particularly would be a fantastic start to the spring. Sighs.

Hail.

*Edit* Chelsea I don't envy having experienced the 'delights' of the ****hole, uhmmm, Naples last year. I just hope they don't come back with the inevitable casualty's, and any inexperienced passengers stay home. It really is time UEFA and the gutless lil' French rat who runs the sham cracked down on the **** that continues to go on in Naples with the Napoli fans.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

• 3 weeks later...