Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Arteta's banned only for the Chelsea match. Wasnt violent conduct, wish Flamini was healthy though.

Cant say I am worried about Coutinho, but the strike partnership is good. Just have to keep the ball better, which we can do. Liverpool's midfield is not that strong, and their defense is weak also.

Edited by JoeWolf990

Being part of the UEFA 'family' with free tickets in the stands doesn't count.  ;)

*Leaves to polish the European Cup we OWN before some wise ass makes some point about no European football.  :P

Hail. 

5cups.jpg

Better bring some extra polish ;)

Was fairly satisfied with yesterday's match.  I doubt seriously we play with only 3 back against Arsenal... we'll see though. 

It's always a good thing to get 4 goals and still have left two or three out there.

Suarez is just out of his mind this season.

• Like 1

Better bring some extra polish ;)

Was fairly satisfied with yesterday's match.  I doubt seriously we play with only 3 back against Arsenal... we'll see though. 

It's always a good thing to get 4 goals and still have left two or three out there.

Suarez is just out of his mind this season.

Liverpool should play with three in the back against Arsenal. Giroud plays like a pivot, do you really need four guys to defend him? A lot of our attack comes from the midfield, Cazorzil, Ramsey, Wilshere, etc. Can't really be afraid of our crossing game (Sagna/Gibbs). I'm worried that Sturridge and Suarez will be too much for our defenders.

Liverpool should play with three in the back against Arsenal. Giroud plays like a pivot, do you really need four guys to defend him? A lot of our attack comes from the midfield, Cazorzil, Ramsey, Wilshere, etc. Can't really be afraid of our crossing game (Sagna/Gibbs). I'm worried that Sturridge and Suarez will be too much for our defenders.

Mignolet has been very iffy since we have gone to 3 back... I don't think it's a coincidnece and sure one of the center 5 can always peel back into the 4, but I'm going to do what's going to set my keeper up for success.

• Like 1

Mignolet has been very iffy since we have gone to 3 back... I don't think it's a coincidnece and sure one of the center 5 can always peel back into the 4, but I'm going to do what's going to set my keeper up for success.

outside backs are there to protect the wide areas in the defensive third, with a back 3 you're going to have "wing backs" to play that role. I think having three players in front of goal protects your keeper much better than 2 CBs. 

outside backs are there to protect the wide areas in the defensive third, with a back 3 you're going to have "wing backs" to play that role. I think having three players in front of goal protects your keeper much better than 2 CBs. 

It's a comfort thing.  Whatever he is used to seeing he isn't, even if it theoretically is supposed to offer more protection (which I think it is).

We'll see...

I am excited for the game next weekend. Liverpool are playing better than expected and this will be a good test. It will be interesting to see which offense will dictate the pace of the game. Will Ozil, Ramsey and Wilshire control the midfield or will Sturridge and Suarez put too much pressure on the Arsenal defense pushing everyone back? I'm not sure if Coutinho will play a full 90, but I think he will have an impact on the final result. He was playing great before the injury, I hope he regains his form quickly.

Not if you get pace going at that. It will be VERY interesting to see how the back three hold up against better opposition than they've faced thus far. Going forward it's the perfect solution for Johnson and to a lesser extent Enrique. Defensively, not so much. 

I think Rodgers thinking is we'll score more than the opposition until this beds in. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Any interest in some trans-Atlantic wagering on the Arsenal-Liverpool outcome? I don't know what form payments may take but I'm up for it. 

That would suggest I'm confident of a result. Which I'm not being as the games in North London. 

But hey, never one to back down from a challenge ..... pick your poison.  :ph34r:

Hail. 

It's sounds bitty as we're just behind you going into November, but we really haven't played well in a lot of games this year. The wildcard in the pack have been the outstanding form of Sturridge and now Suarez since his return. Now there's always the old adage that it's a great sign if your not playing well but still picking up points it's true. And the football club is progressing under BR. But we're still a ways behind the top 4 (Or is that 3 since David Moyes Football Genius went on his seek and destroy mission to Salford?  :D ); and you're just waiting for one of the better teams to punish us in areas we still lack. 

Saturday tea time should be a great marker for where we do indeed currently stand. 

And in many respects, the same can be said for Arsenal if you truly do have aspirations of being up there with Chelsea and probably Citeh come May. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

You assume I'm confident in the result? Far from it. With Suarridge (or is it Sturrez?) you guys can get a result against anyone, maybe even against anyone in europe.

behave, lol.

they arent that good. They have a great front line but that midfield and defense is suspect and will get taken apart by any good side.

3 at the back or 4 at the back makes no difference to the 'keeper from a schematic perspective - what matters is communication and understanding between the defense and keeper on who is doing what. Switching systems takes a while to bed in so its no surprise that there would be some break downs and when that happens you get uncertainty and sometimes it effects a keepers decision making (see Hart, Joe).

Edited by MartinC
  • Like 1

You assume I'm confident in the result? Far from it. With Suarridge (or is it Sturrez?) you guys can get a result against anyone, maybe even against anyone in europe. 

It's SAS... not to be confused with the Special Air Service... who I've served with and they are some bad mofos in their own right.

But our SAS can have a similar effect on the pitch given the right circumstances and chemistry.

That said, I'll take a draw this weekend.  :lol:

It's SAS... not to be confused with the Special Air Service... who I've served with and they are some bad mofos in their own right.

But our SAS can have a similar effect on the pitch given the right circumstances and chemistry.

That said, I'll take a draw this weekend.  :lol:

There's a great Lewis Collins '80's flick from the SAS moto, 'Who Dares Wins', based on the 1980 Iranian Embassy siege which as a 6/ 7 year oid was just the most exciting news piece I've ever seen watching these SAS guys head to toe in black, sub machine guns at the ready, flying in on helicopters, landing on the roof, and then abseiling down the side of the London Embassy and bursting through the windows to storm the place and free the hostages. Thrilling live news that's never left me. 

The fact you've served with the best of the best, well, let's just say my thanks and admiration for you just sky rocketed. 

As far as 'our' SAS goes, I HATE it as Blackburn with Shearer and Sutton had the nick in the mid '90's. (We had the ready made RAF in response at the time <Rush and Fowler> which was a sweet repost.).

HATE to copy other clubs. Darn media. 

Hail. 

As far as 'our' SAS goes, I HATE it as Blackburn with Shearer and Sutton had the nick in the mid '90's. (We had the ready made RAF in response at the time <Rush and Fowler> which was a sweet repost.).

HATE to copy other clubs. Darn media. 

Was about to chime in there.

I'm content that Blackburn is consistent if not spectacular in 12th place now.  How far we've come.

Hope for a better run soon, but if not I'm fine.  I hope someone knocks Burnley down a few notches, though.

Edited by Old Bay