Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I'm not saying that my son is going to play in the World Cup in 2026, but he will be 24 years old and just finishing playing soccer for his college team....jus' sayin' LOL

well with 48 qualifiers including an auto bid for Canada, his chances are looking great! Start digging out that family tree.

Edited by Elessar78
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I actually don't like the Cup being held here just as I don't like the Olympics being held here. I love when they're held in foreign countries, exotic locations, with weird start times. Just makes for a more interesting experience.

It's just not fan friendly, IMO. Traveling between venues and we don't even have good systems for that in this country. Let alone 3. 

9 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

It's just not fan friendly, IMO. Traveling between venues and we don't even have good systems for that in this country. Let alone 3. 

You are basically stuck in one place unless you want to brave the hell of the American airports.

Smaller countries with excellent mass transit would be so much better like Germany/Japan.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I actually don't like the Cup being held here just as I don't like the Olympics being held here. I love when they're held in foreign countries, exotic locations, with weird start times. Just makes for a more interesting experience.

Think about people aboard who think Atlanta is an exotic sounding location.

10 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:

Real Madrid sabotaging the Spanish national team...definitely wasn't expecting that from them.

From what I read that was J-Lop. Not being forthcoming with the FA. Madrid can contact who they want or do they have to get permiso from the contract holder?

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Normally I tend to agree, but for soccer in America this will be VERY good. The last time it was amazing, record setting crowds, and now that soccer ranks third in youth participation those kids will be fully integrated into soccer.

3 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

The last time we held it our numbers set records that still stand to this day. The best part about such a wide range is that a LOT of different people will have an opportunity to attend a match or more.

• Like 1

On 09/06/2018 at 8:12 PM, Berggy9598 said:

I feel like he was more of a luxury for Liverpool anyway. Use that money for Karius' extension (or a new gk)

More a massive need and one of the very few ideal Coutinho replacements out there than any sort of luxury.

But I need far more time to get into the madness of the Fekir situation last weekend.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/304318-liverpool-fc-premier-league-fixtures-2018-19-revealed

Ugh. The West Ham rumours were true. Uninspiring as all heck start but a real nice split of fixtures with a good Chrimbo/ run-in. Hate we’ve dipped out on Bournemouth and Brighton again too. December/ January negates a weekend at the coast in the sun.

However, they haven’t fallen well for for the CL group games. Tottenham away is before MD1. Chelsea away and City home bookend MD2. Arsenal away is before MD4. MD5 comes in Derby week with Everton following. And the final group game is before Utd at home. Hopefully we’ll have the group sewn up by then and can rest a few whilst they won’t be able to!

Like that we’re the first side to go to Tottenham’s new ground too to gategrash that party.

All three midweeks handy too with 2 homes and Burnley away.

Just need to wait on the August- October telly fixtures now the next three weeks or so.

Hail.

• Thanks 1

Amidst all the fume over next season’s purple away, I really quite like it myself. Normally a traditionalist of white shirts, black shorts, white socks, with a red trim the white; but football shirts are fashion items and massive business these days and need to appeal to the young in particular to sell. That looks sharp combined with the orange. 

And purple is the civic colour of the City. 

Nice ring to that for the club that bears the City’s name to be wearing it. (Although no doubt City of L’pool fans think we’re now the jarg Purps haha.).

Hail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

A 48 team World Cup. #joke.com.

Even less interest in the groups than most people have now. WAY too big and completely diluting the quality. 

Hail.

That’s 25% of all the countries in the world making the tournament. It’s not special anymore.

Edited by Elessar78
  • Thanks 1

A 48 team World Cup. #joke.com.

Even less interest in the groups than most people have now. WAY too big and completely diluting the quality. 

Hail.

Agree and disagree. 

When you have a WC with the likes of Tunisia, Saudi Arabia, and Panama, and without Italy, Dutch, or Americans I think you lose some interest as well. 48 will allow the little fellas without nixing some world powers. A bit diluted yeah, but better in the long run, my opinion. 

14 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

That’s 25% of all the countries in the world making the tournament. It’s not special anymore.

It’s the championship of the world! It’ll always be special. Sometimes change is bad, sometimes change is good, sometimes change is change.

Amidst all the fume over next season’s purple away, I really quite like it myself. Normally a traditionalist of white shirts, black shorts, white socks, with a red trim the white; but football shirts are fashion items and massive business these days and need to appeal to the young in particular to sell. That looks sharp combined with the orange. 

And purple is the civic colour of the City. 

Nice ring to that for the club that bears the City’s name to be wearing it. (Although no doubt City of L’pool fans think we’re now the jarg Purps haha.).

Hail.

Jury still out on the purple kits for me, but you’re spot on that it’s BIG business, and I reckon they’ll be hot sellers to the kids. And, anything that gets the kids involved...the next generation and all.

I do fancy the third kit makeups I saw. The gray relief on the white shirts looked boss. Already ordered my Home Virgil, may have to spring for one of those third shirts also, if they look as boss as the prerelease photos.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

More a massive need and one of the very few ideal Coutinho replacements out there than any sort of luxury.

But I need far more time to get into the madness of the Fekir situation last weekend.

Hail.

With PSG having to bring in €60 million for FFP, Guedes and/or Draxler may be on the market (Guedes more of an attacker). Also, Martins (on a free possibly), Ceballos, and Ziyech are names off the top of my head. 

Fekir has solid technical skill, and a nose for goal. Still not sure he had the pace to succeed in Klopp system. And, if he truly has a dodgy knee that is giving the medics pause...

1 hour ago, Long n Left said:

Agree and disagree. 

When you have a WC with the likes of Tunisia, Saudi Arabia, and Panama, and without Italy, Dutch, or Americans I think you lose some interest as well. 48 will allow the little fellas without nixing some world powers. A bit diluted yeah, but better in the long run, my opinion. 

It’s the championship of the world! It’ll always be special. Sometimes change is bad, sometimes change is good, sometimes change is change.

I'm leaning toward the "meh" side of the 48-team issue. I think there are some great first round matchups this year, but also a lot that hold little interest. Russia v Saudi today—almost zero interest. It's really okay that the Dutch and Italians aren't there. They didn't make the grade. I think the 2002(?) Dutch had a ridiculous squad and didn't make it. Italy and Dutch squads are in a down cycle this year. 

But then again, I don't mind the early rounds of the NCAA tournament.