Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Few more records from last night: 

Milner breaking the single-season  CL assist record. Massive props to him. 

Milner beats Champions League assists record - UEFA Champions League - News - UEFA.com

Company: 

Add a fifteenth. Just HOW Bobby wasn't in the PL Team of the Season is a complete mystery? How he continues to go under the radar and is still SO underappreciated by the wider football public is an even bigger one. 

The Egyptian King is now second all-time for most goals in a season for L'pool with 43. Surpassing Roger Hunts 42 in '61/'62. And now just 4 off Rushie's record of 47 in '83/'84. Through 14 less games. 

He's going to bag 50 plus isn't he? Phenomenal. Absolutely phenomenal. Up there with anyone on the planet as I type.

Oh yeah. Remember when bellends were trying to equate Rodgers and Klopp's respective records without any context at all to use against him? Or the Dutch tit saying he didn't have a clue and would burn out/ injure all his players? Good times. 

Klopp's L'pool record: 

150 games. 
80 wins. 
53.7 winning %.
307 goals scored. 
- £30.7 million net spend. 

The best ever Liverpool managerial record after 150 games. Despite coming in the October of his first year 2015 and spending less than he has brought in. Oh yeah. Two European campaigns. Two European finals. The second after he offloaded arguably, 
to many, his best player mid-season for £140 million plus without replacing him. 

****e him like. Bin him now! 

Hail. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

But hey, UEFA will do F all. They're only interested in pyro and flares. Or the minority of absolute knobheads who threw a few bottles at a coach. But had it now been an Italian in the hossey, critical, fighting for his life, they'd be up working all night to sanction L'pool. Again.

Hail. 

According to this, they are considering charges. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43883201

Also, I know you're angry, but I think you're underselling the bottle thing, if it's the one described here: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43652335

A bus being left unsafe to drive is pretty bad.

This kind of stuff is what makes me leery as an outsider that didn't grow up with this as normal (or even tame). I read people complaining about the stale touristic atmosphere of Camp Nou, for example, and they point to the decision to ban the Barcelona Ultras group from the stadium (this following the time when they were literally supported by the team with free tickets).

Those ultras are literal fascists, but I guess they did add to the atmosphere.

What I wonder is how (or if) it is possible to separate the crazy supporter atmosphere that is so special (singing for 90 minutes, smoke bombs in a non-threatening way, etc), from allowing people that love chaos and brawling to exploit those things.

I am reminded that Churchill supposedly said that the problem with Italians is that they treat their wars like football matches and their football matches like wars, but of course the British reputation for hooliganism, while probably exaggerated by sensationalist media, is not totally undeserved either.

I'm also forced to wonder just how much of the home field advantage like the one you describe at Anfield is because officials and even opponents subconsciously fear physical assault, even if there are no incidents per se.

It's not isolated either... Barcelona stewards were recorded beating the crap out of Chelsea supporters after the Champions League round this year as well.

It's really ugly, and I don't know what the solution is.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FanboyOf91 said:

So...how did Barca lose to Roma?

The first match went the same way Liverpool just did it. Total domination at home, but slip ups at the end allow away goals with a three goal lead.

The difference, I suspect, is that while Valverde decided to play a super defensive 4-4-2 (that had Iniesta complaining at half that they were going to lose that way) and try to ride out that 3 goal lead with what, to be fair, has been a rock solid defense (until then, anyway), I don't think Klopp is wired to even contemplate that.

Barca fans are still pretty furious at Valverde, despite the fact that otherwise this has been an amazing season, where they lost Neymar too late to adjust, and got obliterated by Real in August. People weren't expecting anything at all this year, and he's got them on track for a Double and possibly an undefeated league run. 

I won't lie... it still hurts (why did I start caring so much so fast?), but to be fair to him, it has to be a 99% chance that his plan would have worked.

Amazing how expectations can swing so fast.

17 hours ago, FanboyOf91 said:

Imagine what Klopp could do for Messi...

Messi walks too much to play in Klopp's system as it is, I think, though of course Klopp isn't a moron, and no doubt would find a way to fit the guy in. 

• Like 1

City never lost.

Then Porto never lost at home.

Then City never lost at home.

Now Roma never conceded at home...

Not worried a bit.  Roma were ripped to shreds in that game when they tried to defend. 

I'll take Liverpool to score two away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, techboy said:

According to this, they are considering charges. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43883201

Also, I know you're angry, but I think you're underselling the bottle thing, if it's the one described here: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43652335

A bus being left unsafe to drive is pretty bad.

That's the problem with sensationalist reporting. It paints a completely distorted, wrong picture. One cracked side window. Which turned into a destroyed bus. 

FWIW, and I'm being lazy and C & P'ing, this was my views on the ridiculous moral 'outrage' over very little at the time: 

Mad how such a complete non-story is being spun into sensationalist B/S by the media at large. 

Reading the MEN earlier, it's getting more scandalous by the passing day. Apparently, we 'destroyed' (STOP laughing at the back at that overblown exaggeration) the City bus with not only bottles but BRICKS now too!  I wait with baited breath for the story of the lad with the rocket launcher hiding in the tree. And they don't just give, rightly, props to the City medical staff for helping the girl after the game from the hit and run, but they felt the need to add they were off the bus in City trackies. Like that somehow equates to them running the risk of getting attacked from these frenzied L'pool hoolies. And would have been a lot safer had they not been. 

A few knobhead scalls throw some cans and bottles. That wants admonishing. That's putting people on the street, not those protected on a bus, at risk in the crossfire. Totally unacceptable as I'm sure everyone bar the few dickheads that chose to do that would agree. But the sensationalist, OTT B/S, out of what is pretty much a complete non-story, is getting more incredulous by the day. Fair play to de Bruyne. He's the only one that's said anything remotely in the bounds of realism. You'd think there was a baying mob putting City's players lives at risk, totally decimating their bus to the point it needed scrapping, and sacrificing live animals in their path the way the moralistic spin has been the media at large and social media. 

As a 'so-called fan' (the go to moral stance of absolute pricks that have never been the match in their lives) who should presumably be ashamed right now as the result was, and I quote, 'tarnished' by a few idiots out of thousands; I'm sleeping quite soundly after witnessing/ participating in what was, from the majority, a brilliant start to an awesome night Wednesday.

Again, throwing bottles the street is never acceptable. That goes without saying. But everything else ..... It sends out a MASSIVE statement. Welcome to Anfield. You're NOT going to enjoy it! You think we're loud and mad outside? You think this is hostile? Wait until we get INSIDE the ground! Villareal was the same the Europa League semi and they were beaten before the game had even started. Their heads had completely gone coming through the smoke and noise. Jesus, if some of these moralistic divvy's think that's bad, they should see how violently intimidating it get's in Europe. Turin '05 with cars ablaze like a scene out of a mad inner-City riot outside as the Juve fans tried to get at anything remotely L'pool related. 

Some of the comments about 'games behind closed doors', and 'they never learn' ..... Seriously! People that don't have a clue what football support is all about in the sanitised World of the PL. 

Absolute madness that they've tried to make it a bigger story than the favourites for the European Cup getting an absolute doing on the pitch. Collapsing under that atmosphere for the second time in 3 months. 

Soz abar us for passionately supporting our team, playing our part, and actually making a difference at the match.

Even today the there's been next to no National news coverage of a 53-year-old guy fighting for his life. And what there has been has been wrongly, and flippantly, thrown out there as 'skirmishes between rival fans.' Which is an interesting choice of words to frame something in a completely distorted way. 'Skirmishes.' When there's a planned, surprise attack, resulting in two Italians facing charges of attempted murder and a fella' left in a critical condition, that's not a skirmish. When have you ever heard an attempted murder described as a 'skirmish' or 'clash?' The same way there was scandalous. OTT reporting on the bus greeting. Funny how they ran with that for a week and turned into something it never was yet can hardly report on a guy left fighting for his life from Italian ****houses gutless, organised attack. 

The piss poor state of the British media in glorious technicolour. 

4 hours ago, techboy said:

I'm also forced to wonder just how much of the home field advantage like the one you describe at Anfield is because officials and even opponents subconsciously fear physical assault, even if there are no incidents per se.

Oh you've a lot to learn my friend about different cultures. What you see as a 'Ultra' culture is completely different in England. Anfield stands alone in European football down to the passion and noise that as much as it's vociferous and hostile (not in an aggressive, violent way the likes of an Italian/ Eastern European/ Turkish et all crowd are) toward the opposition through that level of noise, the main effect is what it does to the home team in inspiring them to play well above themselves and reach heights they wouldn't without that support. If you looked you'd find countless testimonies from a multitude of players, often top, experienced International ones who say there heads completely go as they've never heard a constant sound like it. So to that end it is psychological. But certainly not from a threat of any violence. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Worst fears confirmed. Chamberlain out for the rest of the year and WC. 

Absolutely 
devoed for him. 2 games from potentially winning the biggest prize possible in football. Having improved, game-on-game, to put himself as an integral, first choice part of one of the best sides in Europe and well arguable favourites to lift the European Cup. And not that I care about them, but a massive blow for England. He'd of been a sure fire cert to start the WC this summer the top class form he's been in. 

And from 
a L'pool POV, that now leaves us down to 3 midfielders. Henderson, Milner and Wijnaldum. Be nice of Can could find it within himself to grace us with his presence again before he F's off the summer. Being as we're still paying him like. At least we've only 4 more games then a two week break before the final.

Hail. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Worst fears confirmed. Chamberlain out for the rest of the year and WC. 

Absolutely 
devoed for him. 2 games from potentially winning the biggest prize possible in football. Having improved, game-on-game, to put himself as an integral, first choice part of one of the best sides in Europe and well arguable favourites to lift the European Cup. And not that I care about them, but a massive blow for England. He'd of been a sure fire cert to start the WC this summer the top class form he's been in. 

And from 
a L'pool POV, that now leaves us down to 3 midfielders. Henderson, Milner and Wijnaldum. Be nice of Can could find it within himself to grace us with his presence again before he F's off the summer. Being as we're still paying him like. At least we've only 4 more games then a two week break before the final.

Hail. 

That's the massive blow.  Have to dip into the U23s now and get Ejaria and Curtis Jones some looks.  I wouldn't be beneath paying to get Wilson, Grujic and Origi back for the last few games, either.  That's how massive just this injury is.

Losing two points to West Brom really hurt.  It's going to take all-in on Wednesday and then another all-in at the Bridge.  Jurgen is going to have some tough choices to make.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder how this would be being reported by the ****house National media and what action UEFA would already have taken had this been an Italian currently fighting for his life the hossey? Rhetorical, as we know the answer. 

Disgraceful on all concerned. 

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2018/04/how-can-uefa-be-deeply-shocked-by-attack-by-roma-hooligans/

Rome next week is going to be such 'fun.' 

Hail. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Naturally, they haven't. As L'pool haven't played in Rome yet this year.

But we're coming ****bags! 

Hail. 

Bobby should wear a belt under his shirt so he can pull it off after he scores the second

I think they'll know what it means

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Even today the there's been next to no National news coverage of a 53-year-old guy fighting for his life.

I don't live in Britain, but I had no trouble finding articles in the Guardian and the BBC when I saw your report, and the tone in those places has certainly not been as you describe. The BBC article, for example, describes it as an "attack", and here's an excerpt:

BBC Sport news correspondent David Ornstein said the pre-match trouble started at 19:05 BST when a "group of Roma fans arrived via Venmore Street, burst on to Walton Breck Road and attacked, many using belts". He witnessed one man carrying a hammer close to the ground.

Student Ryan Ellis, 22, said: "It was horrible to see, some had bats and others were swinging at people with belts with buckles out.

"They were beaten back by Liverpool fans and then the police on horseback charged."

Builder Mark Wilson, 39, said: "There were about 20 Roma fans who charged and were hitting out at people with belts.

Hope he pulls through.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Losing Vidal is a blow, but I expect James to step up. I'm sure he'd like nothing more than to stick it to Real.

atleast no red this time right? Heart says big win.  Head says could be bad.  

Wish we had coman and alba

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

On a lighter note, I just read that a new book about Messi says that before every free kick, he kneels down like he's tying his shoe.

I had noticed that.

The revelation is that he's not actually tying his shoe, though. He apparently does it because he can't see over the wall and he's looking through their legs. :ols:

• Like 1