Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

So anyone going on the DCU-NYRB bus trip planning to stay in NJ? My friends kind of bailed due to new job and such but I wanted to still go( I put my order through and I plan on going either way). Part of the trip is NYC/Times Square(St Patrick's Day concert) and I don't really know much about NYC lol.

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

tough game...the Reds controlled everything but the scoreboard. Should have won by two goals....

Should have but yet again didn't.

I aren't for one minute wanting a change of manager. This is a long term build starting from scratch. But it's starting to wear a little thin hearing him prase the performance and players when bottom line we failed to take one of numerous chances and got caugfht by two woeful pieces of defending. And the Brazilian looks like you could breath on him and snap in two. Frails not the word. Hope I'm well wrong on that one, but I don't like the prospects for him in this league one bit.

Having a tranfer policy of buying young and rebuilding is all well and good in principle. And there's no question we needed to get younger. But that has to be intersperced with quality, mid-aged vets to add guidance and experience.

If Rodgers is being told to go down a soley youth route by NESV, then the future doesn't look as bright as it should. If Rodgers thinks he can do it that way, then that is worrying.

Jockey was bang on the money wehn he brought up the old adage 'you can't win anything with kids' to Utd a few years back when he ended up with egg on his face. That Utd season was an exception top the rule. It's not lost on me the gigantic, looming hole that Gerrard will leave on that side 2 or 3 years down the line with nothing like that experience or quality to replace him.

Hail.

So anyone going on the DCU-NYRB bus trip planning to stay in NJ? My friends kind of bailed due to new job and such but I wanted to still go( I put my order through and I plan on going either way). Part of the trip is NYC/Times Square(St Patrick's Day concert) and I don't really know much about NYC lol.

Good luck on the bus. One of them always breaks down!

Is the concert at South St Seaport? I went to a huge St Patty's Day party there a few years ago and it was really fun until they ran out of beer.

I may hate CR7 but that was a fab goal he scored. All tied 1-1.

---------- Post added February-13th-2013 at 04:09 PM ----------

Varane is going to be a monster, taking on Welbeck one on one and blocking the shot. Terrific pace and composure there.

Man U going turtle with a 9-0-1.

Edited by SkinInsite

United and RM ended up tying 1-1. More interested though in the state of American soccer broadcasters. In this case, Johnson did not disappoint.

http://twitter.com/edsbs/statuses/301808628678152192

Our soccer editor @MacAree thought Gus Johnson was decent. He'd also never heard him call anything before: sbnation.com/soccer/2013/2/…
All in all, not a bad debut per se. The major issue was that Gus' calling of the match was fundamentally unintuitive -- football is a sport in which you have to be thinking about what the players are trying to do at all times. If you don't, it's difficult to call live, and for Gus the whole match seemed more or less like a constant, fun, surprise. That'll change with practice, and if I had to bet, I'd guess he'll be very good by 2018.

Should have but yet again didn't.

I aren't for one minute wanting a change of manager. This is a long term build starting from scratch. But it's starting to wear a little thin hearing him prase the performance and players when bottom line we failed to take one of numerous chances and got caugfht by two woeful pieces of defending. And the Brazilian looks like you could breath on him and snap in two. Frails not the word. Hope I'm well wrong on that one, but I don't like the prospects for him in this league one bit.

Having a tranfer policy of buying young and rebuilding is all well and good in principle. And there's no question we needed to get younger. But that has to be intersperced with quality, mid-aged vets to add guidance and experience.

If Rodgers is being told to go down a soley youth route by NESV, then the future doesn't look as bright as it should. If Rodgers thinks he can do it that way, then that is worrying.

Jockey was bang on the money wehn he brought up the old adage 'you can't win anything with kids' to Utd a few years back when he ended up with egg on his face. That Utd season was an exception top the rule. It's not lost on me the gigantic, looming hole that Gerrard will leave on that side 2 or 3 years down the line with nothing like that experience or quality to replace him.

Hail.

It can be very frustrating. You mentioned before that we have to remind ourselves that this season is exceeding our expectations. I see some signs of a fantastic style of play. To be fair, it was the veterans who let down the club the past three games...not the youngsters. I have faith that it will come around (especially if the Erickson rumors are true)

Well as an Arsenal fan, this game appears to be over in the 23rd minute and there goes year number 9 without a trophy and IMO Wenger has to go. Not so much for not being able to get past Bayern, one of the best clubs in Europe, but for his stupidity this past weekend in the lost vs. Blackburn in the FA Cup. Arsene rested his main guys for 75% of the match thinking that his side should roll over the Rovers, which didn't happen and he cost Arsenal their best chance of winning a trophy this season. Honestly I can't see Arsenal winning the Champions League this year, our defense is terrible and has proven so far this season and even today so far.

Regardless of today's or next month's outcome vs. Bayern Munich, Wegner has to be shown the door. I'm tired of settling for a top 4 finish in the BPL being a success and getting shown the door in the round of 16 in the Champions League.

The scheduling stinks. I'm not at home for most of these matches.

FYI, Gus Johnson is doing the game again. So far, reception to his new work as soccer commentator has been largely positive.

Yeah it sucks, I'm just glad I have a private office.

oooh almost another one for Bayern, just awful defending on these crosses.

---------- Post added February-19th-2013 at 04:03 PM ----------

2-1, Arsenal pulls one back on a corner. Horrendous defending by Bayern, who seems to have these melt downs when playing champions league matches.

---------- Post added February-19th-2013 at 04:23 PM ----------

Now I'm not a Arsenal fan, or watches much of their games but have their defending always been this bad. Another shambolic effort for the back 4, 3 - 1 Bayern.

Liverpool took a major blow to the Europa League campaign...that's not going to ease the frustration

I'm more worried about events off the field than on Thursday night. We took one Hell of a beating in Saint Petersburg last week right through the trip, and not just on the day of the game. Groups of 30 plus Russians wielding iron bars and anything else they could get their hands on, and attacking anyone and everyone. No matter how small the opposite numbers. (When a guy and his girl get set upon walking back down toward a bar and him knocked unconscious by a large group of Russians you can appreciate how ugly a scenario it was.). A good friend came back with a dislocated shoulder and missing teeth, and this was from an attack right outside the ground. The Russian police, not surprisingly, didn't want to know. And this was the scenario from everyone I know that went out. Having experienced the **** in Naples a year or two back, and to now be told guys would rather go back there than go to Zenit again tells me just what we went through. And these are seasoned travelers. Not naive day trippers who don't know what to expect or how to avoid/ handle themselves.

And ala Napoli, all our meatheads are out for revenge on Thursday for anyone that looks remotely Russian. But unlike Napoli, when the Italians at the game in Liverpool were mainly English based that didn't want any trouble, the Russians have made it known their coming looking for a repeat showing. Merseyside's finest will have their work cut out keeping the peace tomorrow sadly.

The time really has come for the major players like Liverpool, Utd, Chelsea, City, and Arsenal to stand up and pull out of European competition when Country's continue to fail to keep visiting English fans safe. But then they won't do that because of the dollars involved so it's just a symptom and price you pay for following your team on the Continent.

I pray the football is what we're discussing come Friday. And not matters off the field.

Hail.

I'm more worried about events off the field than on Thursday night. We took one Hell of a beating in Saint Petersburg last week right through the trip, and not just on the day of the game. Groups of 30 plus Russians wielding iron bars and anything else they could get their hands on, and attacking anyone and everyone. No matter how small the opposite numbers. (When a guy and his girl get set upon walking back down toward a bar and him knocked unconscious by a large group of Russians you can appreciate how ugly a scenario it was.). A good friend came back with a dislocated shoulder and missing teeth, and this was from an attack right outside the ground. The Russian police, not surprisingly, didn't want to know. And this was the scenario from everyone I know that went out. Having experienced the **** in Naples a year or two back, and to now be told guys would rather go back there than go to Zenit again tells me just what we went through. And these are seasoned travelers. Not naive day trippers who don't know what to expect or how to avoid/ handle themselves.

And ala Napoli, all our meatheads are out for revenge on Thursday for anyone that looks remotely Russian. But unlike Napoli, when the Italians at the game in Liverpool were mainly English based that didn't want any trouble, the Russians have made it known their coming looking for a repeat showing. Merseyside's finest will have their work cut out keeping the peace tomorrow sadly.

The time really has come for the major players like Liverpool, Utd, Chelsea, City, and Arsenal to stand up and pull out of European competition when Country's continue to fail to keep visiting English fans safe. But then they won't do that because of the dollars involved so it's just a symptom and price you pay for following your team on the Continent.

I pray the football is what we're discussing come Friday. And not matters off the field.

Hail.

I love sports, but I have never wanted to beat someone with a weapon because of it. I agree, I hope we are talking about the results on Friday and nothing else...