Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Frustrating as all heck as over the past 5 days we've contrived to take 2 points when we wholly deserved 6. Away from home at two top 4 clubs. (Even if Arsenal aren't currently in the top 4.). Stupid fricking defensive lapses in both games.

But on the plus side, a sign of how far this has progressed when we're pissed at two draws in successive games from two tough venues. Sadly, we're not quite at the stage to put these games away yet. But the better the personnel gets, and the more BR's philosophy transcends, we will be.

Hail.

Do you think Coutinho will be on the bench Monday v West Brom? Do you think he will start because its at Anfield? I love the way they are playing right now. I think they are really starting to adapt to BR's system. I think they will make things interesting at the end of the season

I actually think we'd of been better served signing Snyder who was begging for a move to England for his experience, but that's another subject.

I'd guess he'd be on the bench at least.

Hail.

I would rather a young, talented player with something to prove than a old(er) player on the decline who's looking for his last big payday...

That Steven Gerrard dude can still play huh?

Who knew reading this thread .....

Hail.

He certainly can play - still the best English midfield player in the Premiership for my money. He probably has another couple of years at or close to this level if he can get a bit of luck with injuries but he is going to leave HUGE hole in that Liverpool side when he has to be replaced.

I thought Liverpool were a bit unlucky only to get a draw against City. No idea what Reina thought he was doing getting drawn out to that wide position for the final goal - channeling his inner Bruce Grobbelaar ?

I would rather a young, talented player with something to prove than a old(er) player on the decline who's looking for his last big payday...

I can't really comment on the Brazilian as I honestly had never even heard of him prior to the signing. Let alone seen him play.

I would take issue on your Sneijder assertion though. At 28, he still has a LOT to give and is still, for my money, one of the most dangerous attacking midfield playmakers in World football who'd be a revelation in a multitude of positions in our system. Galatasary have got an absolute bargain at € 7.5 million.

As we currently stand, I'd of rather the good aged proven experienced player. Although that's not to say I'm anti Coutinho by any means. As I said, I know nothing about him. I'm just wary on taking flyers on unheralded foreigners after all the busts Rafa in particular brought into the club.

He certainly can play - still the best English midfield player in the Premiership for my money. He probably has another couple of years at or close to this level if he can get a bit of luck with injuries but he is going to leave HUGE hole in that Liverpool side when he has to be replaced.

I thought Liverpool were a bit unlucky only to get a draw against City. No idea what Reina thought he was doing getting drawn out to that wide position for the final goal - channeling his inner Bruce Grobbelaar ?

Steady there Martin. Arsenal fans on here have hunted folk down for less on Stevie. ;)

And chuckling and cringing at the same time with the Brucie memory's.

The one that always stands out is one of his early games at Anfield, oh, around '84 or so, when the newly promoted Sheffield Wednesday stunned the best team in Europe 2-0, with Imrae fricking Varadi scoring from just inside our half at the Kop end when Bruce got bored and tipped up on the half way line trying to tackle him.

The less said on Reina's continued 'form' the better.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

I can't really comment on the Brazilian as I honestly had never even heard of him prior to the signing. Let alone seen him play.

I would take issue on your Sneijder assertion though. At 28, he still has a LOT to give and is still, for my money, one of the most dangerous attacking midfield playmakers in World football who'd be a revelation in a multitude of positions in our system. Galatasary have got an absolute bargain at € 7.5 million.

As we currently stand, I'd of rather the good aged proven experienced player. Although that's not to say I'm anti Coutinho by any means. As I said, I know nothing about him. I'm just wary on taking flyers on unheralded foreigners after all the busts Rafa in particular brought into the club.

Hail.

In Redskin terms, Sneijder would be a Cerato signing and Coutinho is a Allen/Shannahan signing. Sneijder would have an instant impact, but his contract would limit the teams ability to improve the squad in the summer window. Sneijder is still a great player, but not everyone can play at a high level in their 30s. I know Coutinho by reputation only, but he seems to be a talent. I guess we will find out soon enough...

Edited by jobaga

Quick question for anyone that has Dish. The US WCQ game is on beIN on Wednesday, which isnt a part of my package. Anyone know/tried to see if you can upgrade for a day to the higher package and then downgrade again? Or even if I stay with that package for a month, pay the higher rate, and then downgrade again?

Quick question for anyone that has Dish. The US WCQ game is on beIN on Wednesday, which isnt a part of my package. Anyone know/tried to see if you can upgrade for a day to the higher package and then downgrade again? Or even if I stay with that package for a month, pay the higher rate, and then downgrade again?

There is a world cup qualifier thread. Someone there may be able to answer your question. I do not have Dish and can not answer your question...

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/championsleague/story/gus-johnson-to-call-manchester-united-v-real-madrid-fox-soccer-debut-020513

One of America’s most distinctive and dynamic sportscasters calls his first-ever match for FOX Soccer on Wednesday, Feb. 13 when FOX Sports' renowned play-by-play announcer Gus Johnson calls the highly anticipated UEFA Champions League Round of 16 match between Real Madrid and Manchester United, live from Madrid’s Estadio Santiago Bernabéu at 2 p.m. ET.

Gus Johnson a good man

Shame Fox is losing most rights and FSC / FSC+ are going to be eliminated :ols:

Edited by ixcuincle

My buddy just emailed me this article:

As the Hispanic population rapidly expands in the United States, the market for the Mexican national team continues to grow with it. In 2012, the most-watched men's international soccer match on American television didn't involve the U.S. national team, but, instead, it was a Mexico - Colombia friendly on Univision that drew 4.3 million viewers.

Of the 16 friendlies El Tri played in 2011 and 2012, 11 were in the United States, compared to just three in Mexico. A shade over 11,000 showed up for the USA's friendly against Canada in Houston Tuesday. More than 43,000 turned up to watch Mexico play Denmark in Phoenix the next night.

Rest of Article in Link

He's Mexican and LOVING this....

FSC, like Bein, is not basic cable fare.

The new deal with NBC allows soccer to be more mainstream, which equals more ratings. MLS ratings improved once they moved from obscure FSC networks to NBC / NBC Sports. I expect Premier League games to do the same.

My buddy just emailed me this article:

Rest of Article in Link

He's Mexican and LOVING this....

I was disgusted when I saw ESPN commercials advertising their coverage of Mexico's road to Brazil. Such is life in CONCACAF where it's the host country that controls TV rights.

Oh and **** espn. Joke of a channel now.

Edited by renaissance

That Steven Gerrard dude can still play huh?

Who knew reading this thread .....

Hail.

Gerrard:

He (Jack Wilshere) has the potential to become one of the best in the world. I don’t want to put any pressure on him, but having played against him recently and seen him in training, he’s a one-off. He’s a lot better than your normal Premier League midfielder.

Wouldn't be surprised if Gerrard sleeps in a Wilshere kit at this point. But I pictured him more as a guy with Arteta posters and pictures clipped out of Four-Four-Two attached to his bedroom walls.

I'm already planning my trip for @NY. The thing is I don't know what to do. It's St patricks Day weekend. (I would be at the A10 tourney for VCU but I have work and Brooklyn is too expensive). They have a bus trip for one day trip or a bus trip for staying until Sunday. I mean I could always drive up there too. It would be cool if lots of Barra Brava and my follow SE were going to be up there. I'd totally stay up to party with them on St Pat's weekend.

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

I think this is a great thing. We need more minor league teams as a place to find and develop new talent.

Hopefully the locals will support it well. Aside from a pretty diverse community in NoVa that may be interested, Loudoun Youth Soccer is an enormous organization ~ 15,000 registrations per year, 80 travel teams. etc. And there are other local clubs too. If the Cavalry and Loudoun Hounds owners are smart they should be able to fill the stadium every game.