Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

We do have it all, you guys congratulating each other about how Pool would never poach players, while bad old Bayern do.

The FACTS (and history) are that Pool now have bought 5 Southampton players in the last 3 years, and are looking at others from EPL clubs, while you complain that Bayern 'grab up top players from competing clubs' to keep top of EPL.

Sorry, but facts (and history) don't lie, unlike youse.

You're not just a blowhard, but a really great one, so you got that going for ya.

Enjoy your evenings, you'll have plenty of them free.  Fact.

It's 4 goober.

Lambert was on a free :lol:

No one said we don't buy players.  What we or any other Premier League teams have done is nothing like the German monopoly.

Find me an example of that and you have my blessings.  But you won't.

• Like 1

Dc9 has submitted his resume for the vacant England position. Remains to be seen if England brass show interest.

I have spotted the flaw in your devious little plan there!

One, DC9 has Scouse blood in him, and as such lives by the mantra 'Scouse, NOT English.' And two, related to one, when they find that out, they'll jib him anyways like England has always done with Liverpool. 

Saved by being one of God's chosen ones again!  :P.

In other news, Frenchmen, lock up you wife's! He's coming!:

Jack Gaughan– Verified account ‏@Jack_Gaughan

Ryan Giggs has signed with ITV for the remainder of Euro 2016. Starts with Poland vs Portugal on Thursday.

Hail. 

• Like 1

Dc9 has submitted his resume for the vacant England position. Remains to be seen if England brass show interest.

40 League titles and 22 Champions League trophies over 5 years of FIFA.

It's up to them.

And I'm winning titles with AFC Wimbledon, Millwall, and York ****ing City!!!!!

York ****ing City!

I have spotted the flaw in your devious little plan there!

One, DC9 has Scouse blood in him, and as such lives by the mantra 'Scouse, NOT English.' And two, related to one, when they find that out, they'll jib him anyways like England has always done with Liverpool. 

Saved by being one of God's chosen ones again!  :P.

I just need my foot in the door.

My wife is an Icelandic citizen and my son is a HUGE soccer fan (and plays). Needless to say as I walked in yesterday all I heard was cheering and "Sorry babe that I haven't started dinner, Iceland's about to put the boot to England!!" :)

Edited by Zguy28
  • Like 5

Maine officially signed! Excellent news IMHO as discussed yesterday. Absolutely made up with that one. 

As a Saints fan I think you are getting a really good player who should fit what Klopp wants very well. He has all the talent required to be successful at a big club but his attitude needs to be right. At times last season he appeared to be giving minimal effort and his performances were poor. This was around the time of the transfer window so it may be that he was trying to force a move in January. i am sure you have a manager in Klopp that can deal with players egos. 

On a side note we are reported to be signing Claude Puel as our new manager, can any of the French in here let me know what to expect from him.

• Like 1

As a Saints fan I think you are getting a really good player who should fit what Klopp wants very well. He has all the talent required to be successful at a big club but his attitude needs to be right. At times last season he appeared to be giving minimal effort and his performances were poor. This was around the time of the transfer window so it may be that he was trying to force a move in January. i am sure you have a manager in Klopp that can deal with players egos. 

On a side note we are reported to be signing Claude Puel as our new manager, can any of the French in here let me know what to expect from him.

Well, Mane will play hard or he'll find himself missing reps.  I'm not worried about that at all.

As for Puel, I can't speak on him, FR most likely can, but he's better than Jurgen Klinsmann. 

My wife is an Icelandic citizen and my son is a HUGE soccer fan (and plays). Needless to say as I walked in yesterday all I heard was cheering and "Sorry babe that I haven't started dinner, Iceland's about to put the boot to England!!" :)

Seriously. Does she know this girl? It's not a big island.

922d9347c978e0122c52780b4052aee2.jpg

• Like 4

Well, Mane will play hard or he'll find himself missing reps.  I'm not worried about that at all.

As for Puel, I can't speak on him, FR most likely can, but he's better than Jurgen Klinsmann. 

Its not as simple as that though is it? If you drop a bunch of money on a player and they dont play hard, so they dont see the field, its a big waste of money. If he didnt cost anything thats great, but if you drop 20-30 million on a player and if he doesnt try hard I would be worried about that. Thats 20-30 million that could have been spent on someone who would contribute.

I really dont know anything about Mane, just speaking in general.

Its not as simple as that though is it? If you drop a bunch of money on a player and they dont play hard, so they dont see the field, its a big waste of money. If he didnt cost anything thats great, but if you drop 20-30 million on a player and if he doesnt try hard I would be worried about that. Thats 20-30 million that could have been spent on someone who would contribute.

Well, unlike in the NFL, the player doesn't get that money the clubs do.  Sure Mane gets a good salary, but they all have buy outs.

If you don't perform you end up like a Mario Balotelli type... who at the moment we can't find a buyer in Turkey for.

I don't think we'll have that problem with Mane and we haven't had that problem under Klopp.  I guess a better way of saying that is Klopp sets up training like a competition.  Players are competing to get on the pitch as you saw last year.  If a guy didn't perform, he was sent down and maybe got a shot later.  You saw that with Jordon Ibe, Martin Skrtel, Christian Benteke... it didn't matter who you were or how much we paid for you... if you didn't play well or hard you didn't get on the pitch.

We paid more for Benteke than Mane.  He didn't want to press and he wanted to sit on top of the 18 and wait for the ball instead of getting into the box and presenting a target for the service.  His ass got sat down.  We only played him to spell Origi and Sturridge or if Firmino was injured.

But remember, Klopp picked Mane.  Rodgers picked Benteke.

I'm sure Klopp talked to Mane and told him what to expect.  And he doesn't pay 30 million pounds unless he's sure he'll do it.

• Like 2

Well, unlike in the NFL, the player doesn't get that money the clubs do.  Sure Mane gets a good salary, but they all have buy outs.

If you don't perform you end up like a Mario Balotelli type... who at the moment we can't find a buyer in Turkey for.

I don't think we'll have that problem with Mane and we haven't had that problem under Klopp.  I guess a better way of saying that is Klopp sets up training like a competition.  Players are competing to get on the pitch as you saw last year.  If a guy didn't perform, he was sent down and maybe got a shot later.  You saw that with Jordon Ibe, Martin Skrtel, Christian Benteke... it didn't matter who you were or how much we paid for you... if you didn't play well or hard you didn't get on the pitch.

We paid more for Benteke than Mane.  He didn't want to press and he wanted to sit on top of the 18 and wait for the ball instead of getting into the box and presenting a target for the service.  His ass got sat down.  We only played him to spell Origi and Sturridge or if Firmino was injured.

But remember, Klopp picked Mane.  Rodgers picked Benteke.

I'm sure Klopp talked to Mane and told him what to expect.  And he doesn't pay 30 million pounds unless he's sure he'll do it.

Yeah the team gets the money but you are still out 30 million of a player acts that way, which is why it would bother me immensely even if it was handled properly by management like you mentioned.

But yes, thats the best way to do it. You arent playing like how you are told you get sat down. 

Transfer News @TrustyTransfers 54s55 seconds ago

BREAKING: Unai Emery announced as the new coach of PSG.pic.twitter.com/nKzNC5wV8z

CmC7ZdrWIAArACy.jpg

Yeah the team gets the money but you are still out 30 million of a player acts that way, which is why it would bother me immensely even if it was handled properly by management like you mentioned.

But yes, thats the best way to do it. You arent playing like how you are told you get sat down. 

I think money means less than it ever did in England.

If it meant more we wouldn't have needed to fire Brendan Rodgers.

It sounds harsh, but it is what it is.

That said, I don't think he fails and I'm not worried a bit.

• Like 1

Thanks for the insight mate. Really excited about this one. By no means the finished product but the lad appears to have a real high ceiling. Hopefully Klopp get's the consistency he's been lacking out of him. 

It really is or else he wouldn't be here. Klopp is the VERY last manager to just buy a name. Or spend major money just because. Which for him, this is MEGA money. A player has to 'fit' in ALL aspects and really want to be a part of the project or he'll move on to someone that does. I have NO doubt in my mind that he'll of looked into Mane's FULLY and asked ever single person he knows, not least the German DoF at Salzburg the time Mane was there who's his buddy to find out about Sadio's attitude and character. 

There's a risk with any signing, regardless of the fee of course. But I'm completely at ease that we now have a manager who does his due diligence to minimise that risk as thoroughly as he can. 

Hail 

*Edit* And reading that just allayed any fears I didn't have further: Klopp: I'd been tracking Liverpool new boy Sadio Mane for years - Liverpool Echo

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 2

Thanks for the insight mate. Really excited about this one. By no means the finished product but the lad appears to have a real high ceiling. Hopefully Klopp get's the consistency he's been lacking out of him. 

It really is or else he wouldn't be here. Klopp is the VERY last manager to just buy a name. Or spend major money just because. Which for him, this is MEGA money. A player has to 'fit' in ALL aspects and really want to be a part of the project or he'll move on to someone that does. I have NO doubt in my mind that he'll of looked into Mane's attitude and asked ever single person he knows, not least the German DoF at Salzburg the time Mane was there who's his buddy to find out about Saido's attitude and character. 

There's a risk with any signing, regardless of the fee. But I'm completely at ease that e now have a manager who does his due diligence to minimise that risk as thoroughly as he can. 

Hail 

Yeah Im not really referring to this situation specifically. Just the thought presented that if you spend 30 million to get someone and they are being lazy no big deal. I was just saying that if there is a situation like that it IS a problem and something to be worried about because you could have spent those 30 million somewhere else, so it does have an impact.

And that would be on the player, not the manager or the team, as its on him to go out and play hard. I know literally nothing about Mane so I wouldnt comment on him as a player and his effort.

And like you said, there is always a risk that it wont work out, the times that it does it impacts the team. Its about minimizing those chances and dealing with it quickly if it does happen.

Edited by MisterPinstripe
  • Like 1

Great video compilation of all Mane's Southampton goals:

https://twitter.com/LFCVine/status/747818661281431552?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Considering he's bagged the second highest number of PL goals the last two years from anyone not a striker (Alex Sanchez from Arsenal is the other), and he's been very bitty in his goal runs with large inconsistent spells without; one can only imagine how many more he might add as he develops and hopefully gains that consistency. 

Hail. 

This would upset me

Transfer News Live ‏@DeadlineDayLive 1m1 minute ago

Arsenal have made an offer for striker Gabriel Barbosa who has a £40m release clause in his Santos contract. (Source: ESPN Brazil)

Hopefully it's a release clause like ours with Suarez when we only had to notify him of a bid over the clause. Not accept it. All in the wording.  :lol:.

'Gaby. Arsenal have activated the release clause with a £40 million and 1 pound bid. Just letting you know you're going nowhere. Think our laughter back down the 'phone to England was to the point there too.' 

Hail. 

• Like 1

Hopefully it's a release clause like ours with Suarez when we only had to notify him of a bid over the clause. Not accept it. All in the wording.  :lol:.

'Gaby. Arsenal have activated the release clause with a £40 million and 1 pound bid. Just letting you know you're going nowhere. Think our laughter back down the 'phone to England was to the point there too.' 

Hail. 

Doesn't really seem like a Wenger guy, either.  He doesn't like this kind of player unless he can put him on the wing.

I mean, I think the kid can do it all, I just don't want to see him there at Arsenal :lol:

You know how I get with my Brasilians.

• Like 1

Doesn't really seem like a Wenger guy, either.  He doesn't like this kind of player unless he can put him on the wing.

I mean, I think the kid can do it all, I just don't want to see him there at Arsenal :lol:

You know how I get with my Brasilians.

I do mate and I'm 100% down with you on this one. He's gonna' be super special. 

And I'm down with you on Phil. He just frustrates the living piss out of me when you know he has everything to be so much better. 

Hail. 

• Like 1