Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.theinsiders.com:Bowen Leaves Them Guessing, Hurting

scskinsfan

http://redskins.theinsiders.com/2/170889.html

Bowen Leaves Them Guessing, Hurting

Introducing Matt Bowen

By John Keim -- Posted Aug 22, 2003

Editor's note: Matt Bowen will answer your questions once a week, exclusively at WarpathInsiders.com. Ask whatever question you want: he's a multi-faceted guy. Find out what he does in his spare time; find out who his favorite opponent is. But take advantage of your chance to play reporter and get a direct answer to your question. Look for the "Ask Matt Bowen" on the left-hand side of this page for more information.

He'll stroll past his teammates on near 90-degree days wearing a winter cap. He says it's to keep his body temperature high as he dips into a tub of ice water. Somehow, you're not so sure. And that's exactly what Redskins safety Matt Bowen wants: go ahead, wonder what's going on in his mind.

He's a bald guy. He wears winter caps in the summer. He must be a bit, well, off.

''I like to be a little mysterious,'' he said. ''I'm sure those offensive guys will wonder what kind of guy I am.''

Per theinsiders.com copyright owners, please read the rest of this article via the link above~~Blade

I like Bowen's ability to make the big hit as much as the next guy, however FIRST & FOREMOST I want a safety that can COVER in the deep zone and help take the pressure off of Bailey/Smoot because it can get old having to rely on man-to-man every single play of the game.

I hope Bowen is the epitome of safties. The Girlz drafted Williams and paid him $$$$$$$$$$$$$$kb. We picked up Bowen for what, a 7 th rounder.

I don't like the way we are playing our safties. I'm old school. They don't intertwine, IMHO. I want to see Bowen @ FS and Id?????(ya know who I mean) the walk on from USC @ SS.

This is one guy that I'm not so impressed with yet. I mean sure he gives nice hits in practice, but all I remember is him running into the backfield against Carolina and getting run over by Stephen Davis. Guess he doesn't hit that hard.........

I haven't really heard his name other than that though.

hey blakman211 give the guy a break :rolleyes: There has only been 2 preseason games. If he isn't making the plays by mid season, then by all means trash him. The Skins havn't had a ny good safties since Gibbs was coaching, unless you thought the sheriff"i can't tackle or cover" Richards was good:puke:

I can understand your meaning Blakman211, but I also know that THIS year SD is going to be a sheer monster on the field, whenever he plays. He will have a chip on his shoulder, even if he doesn't say it. Bowen encountered a vengful madman loaded with anger. Bowen also may have been a bit askew to make the kind of tackle he likes. With SD, askew means you get mauled.

Originally posted by NavyDave

Well our safteies wont look that bad if we stop blitzing our number one corner covering the number one receiver which seems to always end in a big play for the opposition.

No Doubt. Now if we're in a Nickle, I have no problem with blitzing our third corner and releasing their third WR to a Safety. :D

Originally posted by Joey T

I hope Bowen is the epitome of safties. The Girlz drafted Williams and paid him $$$$$$$$$$$$$$kb. We picked up Bowen for what, a 7 th rounder.

Dallas has gotten their money's worth out of Williams so far, though. He's a big time player and a play-maker.

We're HOPING for improved play at safety with Bowen, who was not a starter in Green Bay, was he? Not sure I'd feel great about comparing the two of them at this point.

Agreed. I wouldn't be all fired up about comparing the 2 yet either. As for blitzing corners.... oh yea.... the Skins do that so much. :rolleyes: It's a calculated risk. Works sometimes, get's you burned sometimes. That's the game. Not a DC in the league, any league, who won't gamble every now and then. What makes the Saftey's look bad every now and then, is the occassional brain cramp, falling down, looking in the backfiled. Basically blowing it. Problem with this game. Played by faulty humans. Skins guys just "seem" to be more faulty than others sometimes.

:cheers:

Archived