Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

I think Luck will be very good and wouldn't mind getting him if he came out. That being said, I could see him going pretty high if he has a good year. I'm not really that high on Mallett; he seems to have relatively slow footwork and a somewhat elongated release (not really that unexpected for a guy who is as tall as him, though). As far as WR, I would take Green over Jones (at least as of now). They are both amazing athletes, but Jones has seemed to get cases of the dropsies sometimes, while Green pretty much catches anything near him. Both are fast and seem to run good routes.

Hopefully a good QB falls into late second round or 3rounds.

I wouldn't mind taking a Terrel Pryor or Jacori harris late or 3rd round.

Hopefully a good QB falls into late second round or 3rounds.

I wouldn't mind taking a Terrel Pryor or Jacori harris late or 3rd round.

Jacory Harris I think might stay for his senior year. He's got a lot of talent but needs to refine it and if he stays at Miami for another year he just might win a national title. The guys to watch in the middle rounds right now are Pat Devlin, Jerrod Johnson and Terrell Pryor. They are the 3 guys that could be top end QB's but not the highly touted ones

Okay so I know I was slipping up a bit my plan was to start with my position rankings and I totally forgot all about it :silly:

Here we go I'll start with QB, RB and WR

Top 5 QB

1. Jake Locker

2. Andrew Luck

3. Christian Ponder

4. Ryan Mallet

5. Jerrod Johnson

Why?? I was going to put Robert Griffin III at #3 but my head kept telling me to not. I want to see what he'll do after the surgery and if he still can produce at a high level. Other than that Christian Ponder continues to move up my list of QB's. I really like his mobility and accuracy along with his arm strength. I think he's someone who will benefit greatly from a strong year.

RB

1. Mark Ingram

2. Ryan Williams

3. Evan Royster

4. Shane Vereen

5. Daniel Thomas

Why? I could of really put it as 1 and 1a both Ingram and Williams are the cream of the crop at RB and there is a severe drop off between them. Royster is going to be a power back who does have the break away speed and he's a local guy (Westfield gradaute) he's someone who will have a long and productive NFL career. The last 2 are not as well known players but Vereen was the RB who was behind Best last year but he put up a very productive year and with him now as the full time guy his stats will certainly improve. Thomas had a big year for K-State last year but I think this year he'll drop off a little bit but I can see him as a 2nd round pick.

WR's

1. AJ Green

2. Julio Jones

3. Jonathan Baldwin

4. Michael Floyd

5. Ryan Broyles

Why? Green right now is head and shoulders above the other WR's. He's the more consistent and the better athlete IMO. He very well could be one of the few WR's who are drafted #1 overall if the Rams end up with the #1 pick again. Jones is someone who right now is slipping on some draft boards for next year but I think he'll end up being a top 10 pick with his size and skill set. Baldwin is very similar to Fitzgerald except I think he's a little slower than what Fitzgerald was coming out of college. He'll be a great redzone target for any QB and will be a #1 receiver no doubt about it. Floyd is more of a speed guy but he also can make the big possessions when needed. Broyles is a lot like Santana Moss quick speedy guy who can make guys miss. I would say he's a late 1st to mid 2nd round pick with the other 4 as 1st round picks now

So theres the first bunch what do you all think?

Pryor is not a QB and will not be a QB in the NFL Jacory maybe but i dont see pryor being anything but a WR.

Pryor is very much a QB in the NFL he has developed into one now perfectly. Add on top of that he's been playing in a pro-style offense throughout college and he'll be someone who's actually ahead of the game compared to some QB's who played in only spread offenses

Pryor is very much a QB in the NFL he has developed into one now perfectly. Add on top of that he's been playing in a pro-style offense throughout college and he'll be someone who's actually ahead of the game compared to some QB's who played in only spread offenses

Pryor is a HORRIBLE passer imo, but you may see something different but in the 5-7 games that i watched him in he looks atrocious.

Pryor is a HORRIBLE passer imo, but you may see something different but in the 5-7 games that i watched him in he looks atrocious.

Yes he was atrocious in his first year or so, but last year you saw a different Terrelle Pryor. The bowl game he put up was just amazing he looked like a different QB and I think he's finally turned the corner. I think this year you'll see a different QB out there more like the one you saw in the bowl game

Right now here's my Top 5 QB rankings

1. Jake Locker

2. Andrew Luck

3. Robert Griffin III

4. Ryan Mallet

5. Christian Ponder

With that said I can see a team like Minnesota in the end of the 1st round taking a chance on him and letting him sit behind Jackson for a year or Favre if he's still there and learn the system and when he's ready he'll take over the team. Ponder is an interesting prospect because if he has a good year like many think he will, then maybe he could sneak into the heisman talk if FSU is doing well.

I think it's hard to tell where the QBs are at right now because there are so many good underclassmen in the mix.

Everyone seems to like Ponder and I think he's going to have a good year. But it'd have to be a great year before I'd start considering him over some of the stud athletes we're seeing at the position. Locker and Luck are in a special class in terms of a mobility/arm strength combo and Jerrod Johnson, Terrelle Pryor, and Nathan Enderle are great runners too. Then you have the big arms like Devlin and Mallett and Nick Foles, all of whom are stronger than pretty much anyone in the 2010 class. In fact, the arm strength of the 2011 and 2012 QBs is special as a whole.

But my favorite prospect of all is Blaine Gabbert from Missouri. When he comes out, I hope we draft him. I think he's got the talent to go first overall even if he comes out as a junior. It's probably more likely he'll stick around for his senior season but you never know how the wind will blow come January. There could be a lockout on the way forcing a lot of the 2012 guys out early. Also, with that 2012 QB class looking as stacked as it is, if I were a junior receiving first round consideration, I'd come out early in 2011 anyway. Here's hoping that, by coming out ahead of schedule, Gabbert will be available wherever we'll draft in the first instead of going in the top 3 as a senior.

So theres the first bunch what do you all think?

Nice list D&S and it looks like a good barometer of where the top skill position prospects are put. If I were to do one real quick, I'd go:

QB:

1. Gabbert

2. Locker

3. Luck

4. Ponder

5. Mallett/Foles (not as high on Mallett as most, for some reason he seems to have a bit of a Russell/Leaf air to him... seems kind of like a stupid thug--Roethlisbergeresque).

That's a fluid list though, there are too many good names in the mix for me to offer that with a whole lot of confidence. Jerrod Johnson is fun to watch but I question his arm strength. It's not really been mentioned any where, but from the little I saw of him last year, it sprung up as a potential issue in my mind. I'll need to see him play more. Ditto for Devlin, although he's an impressive athlete with a great arm and I could definitely see him in the first round. I like Nick Foles more than most too. He's big and has tremendous arm strength with nice mechanics. He throws the ball like Carson Palmer, but he's not the complete package Palmer was... yet. I ranked Gabbert first based on talent and a projection that he'll put up ridiculous numbers in a defensively soft Big 12 and Missouri's dynamic offense. He's got even more athletic ability than Locker and he's bigger and more "quarterbackly" if that makes any sense. Sometimes watching Locker, I can't help but get the feeling that he's a safety in a quarterback's shoes.

RB:

1. Ryan Williams

2. Mark Ingram

3. Trent Richardson (not sure if he's eligible, put me down for Vereen here too if he's not)

4. DeMarco Murray

5. Noel Devine

I like Kendall Hunter and Jacquizz Rogers too but they're as small as Devine is and less talented. I think your ranking of Shane Vereen was inspired. He's a bit of a Jahvid Best clone and he'll probably be one of the top speed backs in a class full of them. I agree that he'll put up huge numbers this year. Other than that, my list is pretty vanilla. I like Williams better than Ingram because he looks a lot faster with comparable open field vision. He also has absurd lateral quickness and the ability to make guys miss--looks like Deangelo Williams running around out there. Richardson is more talented than Ingram too, if less accomplished so far. Murray is a great multipurpose speed back/receiver and is easily the best senior IMO. Hopefully he'll stay healthy and make me look right. I put Devine in ahead of Royster because I really don't care for Royster. He looks like he lacks burst and wiggle and he's not super big anyway. He reminds me of Mike Hart from Michigan a few years ago--great college back and smart player but not a lot of room for him in the NFL.

WRs:

1. Jonathan Baldwin

2. A.J. Green

3. Malcolm Floyd

4. Julio Jones

5. Greg Little (huge drop from the first four)

I see much more Calvin Johnson in Baldwin than Larry Fitzgerald. He's tremendously fast and he's one of the biggest guys in the class. He's also been the most productive of all the top guys in the class. As good as Green is, I'll take the superior athlete in Baldwin and I think he'll be the first receiver taken. That said, Green's hands are about as good as any college player's I've ever seen and he's tough and runs good routes. He's a dead ringer for Reggie Wayne IMO and is more of the Larry Fitzgerald type than Baldwin. It looks like you won't go wrong with either one, but for me the Baldwin/Green debate will come down to one issue: Do you prefer the once in a blue moon athlete or the heady receiver with tremendous hands--Calvin Johnson versus Reggie Wayne. I'll take Johnson and thus I'd take Baldwin.

Floyd and Jones are a big step down from the first two IMO. Jones has underwhelmed a bit and is kind of overrated based on how he was viewed coming out of high school. He's big and strong like Green, but he doesn't run routes nearly as well and his hands definitely aren't as good. He's also not as quick or physically dominating as Baldwin. Floyd is good but I just don't get all that excited about Notre Dame players any more because the hype is always so massive with them. Still I'd probably take him ahead of Jones right now because of his speed. I tacked Greg Little on at the end over Broyles and Tolliver because Broyles is a little small for my taste and Tolliver didn't look all that great when I watched him. Little reminds me a bit of Devin Thomas. The NCAA investigations and crappy QB play might hold him back though, but I like athletes at the skill positions and Little qualifies.

Steve man you and I are going to have some good conversations on the draft prospects I can tell :ols: Looking at your list here are a few things I'll have to say about it. With your QB's I like Gabbert as well and I very well would of put him as either my #1 or #2 QB but I felt he would return to school thats why I left him. The thing IMO that sets apart Gabbert from say a Luck is the Size, Strength and Speed. Gabbert for a bigger QB is a very mobile one. He's not a Mike Vike runner but he's also not restricted to the pocket. His throws on the run are very accurate at least from the film I've seen. The rest of your list is spot on I think everyone agrees on Mallet he has the talent to be a great QB but he's got an elongated release and he's not as accurate as I would like. Reminds me a lot of Campbell but less mobile

In terms of RB's I would have put Richardson as a top RB but he's only a true soph ;) Murray and Devine are two interesting names because one was very underwelming last year as a RB in Murray. I was expecting him to light the Big 12 on fire and I frankly wasn't impressed although I felt that if he came out he would be one of the top RB's taken based on his catching and running ability. I disagree on Royster I understand he's a Penn State running back and that is a sin to draft one as they usually are busts save for someone like Larry Johnson, but I think he's got the size like Johnson to actually be a successful RB. I'm not saying he'll be a great RB but he'll be someone who is used in goal line situations and also will be a good inbetween the tackles runner

WR wise Baldwin is someone I want to put as the #1 guy but Green to me is the better WR now and maybe thats from me not seeing enough of Baldwin and too much of Green. I'll take the blame on that but as I watch more of Green I just think of a bigger and better Reggie Wayne. I do think your close with the Johnson comparison with Baldwin as he's a freakish athlete although I do have some questions about his route running as the only plays I would see Baldwin make were on fly routes and nothing that really showed off the route tree. Looking at the list you are right with the next two I think I've overrated Jones a little too much I see the size and strength and I see someone who can be a great WR but I also see an inconsistent WR who is sloppy in his route running. I just have a feeling a team will take him over a Baldwin based more on his potential than his production. Little is a concern mostly from the NCAA investigations and such and I'm not sure what will happen with that and if it will affect that team. I think Broyles is a lot like Moss and Moss ended up being a first round pick so it's a real toss up with the #5 spot I will agree because there are 2 or 3 guys you could all put there.

Overall man you and I are very close here on the prospects it'll be interesting to see how they all shake out and continue during the year. I'm more interested in the mid to late round prospects right now who could end up being a higher pick than we expected at the beginning of the year. See Daryl Washington from TCU

Steve I also forgot to add this last night to my original top 5 group but what are some sleepers you see at those positions. I have a few and here they are

QB

Kevin Riley

Andy Dalton

RB

Graig Cooper(Would have been a 1st or 2nd rounder IMO if he doesn't tear his ACL this spring. Will miss the 2010 season)

Roy Helu Jr

WR

Greg Jones

Vidal Hazelton

Anyone else have any sleepers they are looking at this year?

I really want to watch Allen Bailey as I think he can be an incredible 5-technique DE in a 3-4. Not sure if that is the best position (at the next level) for him but he would make a good one there regardless due to his pyscial talents and skillset.

Allen Bailey had no bigger fan than me last season but now I have a few concerns about him I want to see answered before he can live up to his expectations. Pound for pound, he's probably the best athlete in college football--essentially he's a MLB playing DT.

But I also watched a good bit of Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy and Bailey was not even close to where they were at last year. Bailey is a freak athlete that will make jaw dropping plays every now and then. But I've never seen him take over stretches of games like great defensive linemen do. He disappears too much. I think he's been misused in Miami. They change his position every year based on who graduates or gets hurt and it's left Bailey underdeveloped. His home in the NFL will be playing as a 3, 4, 5, and 6 technique, but he's got a lot to prove this year to show he belongs in the first half of the first round. That's where he'll be drafted after turning in a combine where he puts up 30 something reps and runs a 4.6/4.7 40 at 290 pounds.

As it is, if we were looking to draft a 5 technique in the first round, Marcel Dareus, Cameron Heyward, and Adrian Clayborn have all been better to this point in their college careers. Here's hoping Bailey has a breakout year because he's literally got everything else going for him--absurd size and athleticism, toughness, intelligence, good work ethic.

Allen Bailey had no bigger fan than me last season but now I have a few concerns about him I want to see answered before he can live up to his expectations. Pound for pound, he's probably the best athlete in college football--essentially he's a MLB playing DT.

But I also watched a good bit of Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy and Bailey was not even close to where they were at last year. Bailey is a freak athlete that will make jaw dropping plays every now and then. But I've never seen him take over stretches of games like great defensive linemen do. He disappears too much. I think he's been misused in Miami. They change his position every year based on who graduates or gets hurt and it's left Bailey underdeveloped. His home in the NFL will be playing as a 3, 4, 5, and 6 technique, but he's got a lot to prove this year to show he belongs in the first half of the first round. That's where he'll be drafted after turning in a combine where he puts up 30 something reps and runs a 4.6/4.7 40 at 290 pounds.

As it is, if we were looking to draft a 5 technique in the first round, Marcel Dareus, Cameron Heyward, and Adrian Clayborn have all been better to this point in their college careers. Here's hoping Bailey has a breakout year because he's literally got everything else going for him--absurd size and athleticism, toughness, intelligence.

5 tech wise Marcel Daerus and Adrian Clayborn are IMO the perfect fits for them. You are spot on with Bailey though. As an athlete, there is maybe no one better than Bailey in terms of the ability to put up freakish combine numbers. He has the natural ability to be a monster player but he's not a McCoy or Suh just yet. Yeah he'll make the big play here and there but he doesn't take over games. I have him as a mid first round pick mostly based on potential and combine results that are possible, but he very well could be a Calasis Campbell who has the potential but slips into the 2nd round based on lack of production and trust me Bailey in the 2nd round is an absolute steal for whoever gets him

What positions do you want us all to focus on in next years draft. I think we have 3 glaring needs in OLB, ILB and WR. I also belive we soon need to draft a QB to learn under McNabb and a RB for when Johnson and Portis retire.

Personally I have 3 positions to watch right now but a lot will change with FA and such.

OLB

OG

RB

OLB is a need because Carter isn't the best fit and if we can find someone like a LaMarr Woodley type to put opposite Orakpo we could have a lethal combo at OLB for a while. OG is a need because I think Hicks is better suited as our utility OL who can start when needed. RB is a definitely a need because right now outside of Torain and Williams we have no real young guys at the position and both of them aren't even locks to make the roster right now if Parker comes out and impresses during the 3rd pre-season game.

Personally I have 3 positions to watch right now but a lot will change with FA and such.

OLB

OG

RB

OLB is a need because Carter isn't the best fit and if we can find someone like a LaMarr Woodley type to put opposite Orakpo we could have a lethal combo at OLB for a while. OG is a need because I think Hicks is better suited as our utility OL who can start when needed. RB is a definitely a need because right now outside of Torain and Williams we have no real young guys at the position and both of them aren't even locks to make the roster right now if Parker comes out and impresses during the 3rd pre-season game.

I definitely agree with OLB and Guard, but dont you think we need a WR,

I mean we have an aging Moss, 2 often injured unproven potential busts, an 39 year old man, a journeyman in Williams, a 7th round return man and 2 undrafted players

I definitely agree with OLB and Guard, but dont you think we need a WR,

I mean we have an aging Moss, 2 often injured unproven potential busts, an 39 year old man, a journeyman in Williams, a 7th round return man and 2 undrafted players

I can see it happening but part of me thinks that they'll make a splash at WR in FA and then draft for a RB/OLB/OG in the draft. I have a feeling they'll go for Jackson once he becomes a FA

For discussion purposes, I'll post Walter Football's 2011 Mock Draft.

1. ramsb_logo.gifSt. Louis Rams: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia Georgia_logo.gif
    I went back and forth between A.J. Green and Robert Quinn. Quinn certainly makes a ton of sense because he has the make-up of a No. 1 overall pick, and the Rams need to get more pressure on the quarterback.
    However, I settled on Green for two reasons. First, Steve Spagnuolo's specialty in New York was generating a great pass rush. Coaches tend to be ****y, so Spagnuolo probably believes he can accomplish this with lesser players. Maybe he'll have his eye on some defensive end in Round 2 like Jeremy Beal or Sam Acho.
    And second, because the Rams have so much invested into Sam Bradford, they need to acquire a blue-chip target for him. I know the team has Donnie Avery, Laurent Robinson and Mardy Gilyard, but none of those guys are a No. 1 threat that defenses will respect. Green undoubtedly will be. And aside from providing Bradford with a great downfield weapon, he would also stretch the defense and open up more running room for Steven Jackson.
  2. billsb_logo.gifBuffalo Bills: Jake Locker, QB, Washington Washington_logo.gif
    How much longer can Buffalo's front office spit in the face of its fans? Their plan is to go with Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brian Brohm? What a disgrace.
    Perhaps drafting this high will force the Bills to select a quarterback. Jake Locker is mobile and can scramble for chunks of yardage pretty well, so maybe Chan Gailey will actually think he's good enough for his amazing offense.
    Locker is the No. 1 quarterback in the 2011 class - for now. Locker should have declared for the 2010 NFL Draft because a billion things can happen over the next 12 months. Maybe he gets hurt. Maybe the scouts see something they don't like and his stock drops. Maybe his teammates don't play up to par and drag him down. Maybe he gets distracted. Maybe general managers become worried that his decision to go back to school means that he's not fully invested in football.
    That's a lot of maybes, but just look at recent history: Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn and Brian Brohm all made a huge mistake by not declaring right away.
    Of course, Locker could always sit out the 2010 season. It worked wonders for Bradford.
    Pick change; previously Andrew Luck, QB
  3. chiefsb_logo.gifKansas City Chiefs: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford Stanford_logo.gif
    Matt Cassel is due a $7.5 million option bonus before the 2011 season. If he has another bad year - if the Chiefs are drafting No. 3 overall, that's definitely the case - then he will be released. Kansas City will then do what it should have done in the first place - draft a franchise signal caller early in the first round (Mark Sanchez, 2009 or Jimmy Clausen in the second round, 2010).
    Andrew Luck will be a redshirt sophomore this season, but there's still a good chance he declares. If he's still projected to go this high or if Jim Harbaugh takes an NFL coaching job, Luck will bolt for the NFL.
    Pick change; previously Jake Locker, QB
  4. brownsb_logo.gifCleveland Browns: Marcell Dareus, DE/DT, Alabama Alabama_logo.gif
    I'd like to give the Browns a franchise quarterback, but Mike Holmgren doesn't believe in drafting one in the first round. Besides, he pulled rank and selected Colt McCoy despite objections from others in the front office. Why would he suddenly give up on McCoy after a year, especially considering that McCoy won't even play this season?
    Shaun Rogers won't be around much longer. He's due $6.9 million this year and $5.5 million in 2011. He'll be 32 a month before the 2011 NFL Draft. If he's cut loose, the Browns will need to find an adequate replacement up front.
    Marcell Dareus is more than adequate. As a mere sophomore last season in Alabama's 3-4/4-3 hybrid defense, Dareus really came on and accumulated 6.5 sacks in just four starts, and then proceeded to knock McCoy out of the game during one of the two national championships this past winter. Think McCoy will be glad to have this guy on his side?
    A great athlete despite weighing 301 pounds, Dareus is expected to take the SEC by storm this fall. If he has a big year, he could be the first player chosen in the 2011 NFL Draft. In this case, he's fourth. 357?rand=51766
  5. jaguarsb_logo.gifJacksonville Jaguars: Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina NorthCarolina_logo.gif
    The Jaguars' main goal is to beat Peyton Manning and the Colts. Getting 14 sacks per year is not the way to get that done. Jacksonville needs to bolster its pass rush, as its top defensive end is a 31-year-old Aaron Kampman coming off a torn ACL.
    Robert Quinn is a steal at No. 5 considering he has the potential to go first overall.
    Pick change; previously Patrick Peterson, CB
  6. seahawksb_logo.gifSeattle Seahawks: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU LSU_logo.gif
    It's amazing how far the Seahawks have fallen. They have needs everywhere including corner; they have absolutely nothing across from Marcus Trufant.
    Seattle will have a great chance to upgrade this position in the 2011 NFL Draft; Patrick Peterson is the best cornerback prospect to come along in a very long time, while Prince Amukamara isn't too far behind him.
    Pick change; previously Ryan Mallett, QB
  7. Bucsb_logo.gifTampa Bay Buccaneers: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama Alabama_logo.gif
    The Buccaneers may upgrade the defensive end or cornerback position here, but Mark Ingram would be an intriguing selection. Cadillac Williams will be a free agent next offseason, while Derrick Ward, who didn't have much of an impact last year, will turn 31 just before the 2011 campaign. The Heisman winner would give Josh Freeman an explosive running game to work with.
    Pick change; previously Robert Quinn, DE
  8. cardinalsb_logo.gifArizona Cardinals: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska Nebraska_logo.gif
    Can Greg Toler thrive as one of Arizona's starting corners? He played well in limited action last year, but he's still a relative unknown. If he struggles, the Cardinals will have to find someone new to play across from Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, and Prince Amukamara is one of the top players available at this spot.
    Pick change; previously Gabe Carimi, OT
  9. broncosb_logo.gifDenver Broncos: Cameron Heyward, DE/DT, Ohio State OhioState_logo.gif
    Are the Broncos really going to ride Patriots cast-off Jarvis Green as a starting defensive end for more than a year? Doubtful. Cameron Heyward would have been in the 9-18 pick range had he declared for the 2010 NFL Draft.
  10. titansb_logo.gifTennessee Titans: Jurrell Casey, DT, USC USC_logo.gif
    Defensive tackle isn't exactly a big weakness for the Titans; Tony Brown is a stud, while Jason Jones thrives at getting to the quarterback. However, the 280-pound Jones is not an every-down player and will be entering his contract year when the 2011 NFL Draft is going down, so Tennessee could stand to bring in an Albert Haynesworth-type presence to start next to Brown. Besides, Jurrell Casey is the top player who makes sense in this slot.
    Pick change; previously Prince Amukamara, CB
  11. steelersb_logo.gifPittsburgh Steelers: Aaron Williams, CB, Texas Texas_logo.gif
    In a must-win game, the Steelers couldn't contain Bruce Gradkowski on three separate fourth-quarter drives. Troy Polamalu's absence was huge, but so was the lack of talent at cornerback. That position must be taken care of soon if young players like Joe Burnett and Keenan Lewis don't step up.
    Pick change; previously Allen Bailey, DE/DT
  12. redskinsb_logo.gifWashington Redskins: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama Alabama_logo.gif
    With the offensive line shored up, the Redskins will need to concentrate on finding weapons for Donovan McNabb. McNabb would love having a dynamic receiver like Julio Jones at his disposal. Jones was once considered a top-five prospect, but struggled with drops in 2009.
    Pick change; previously Jonathan Baldwin, WR
  13. lionsb_logo.gifDetroit Lions: Greg Romeus, DE, Pittsburgh Pittsburgh_logo.gif
    In a division with Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre and Jay Cutler, you have to be able to get to the quarterback. With a defensive line of Ndamukong Suh, Greg Romeus, Corey Williams and Kyle Vanden Bosch, the Lions would be able to pile up a handful of sacks each week, easing lots of pressure off their anemic secondary.
    Pick change; previously Aaron Williams, CB
  14. bengalsb_logo.gifCincinnati Bengals: Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa Iowa_logo.gif
    I really don't understand how some mocks can have Adrian Clayborn in their top five. He punched a cab driver, for crying out loud. There won't be many teams that would be willing to take a risk on him with a top-20 selection.
    The Bengals are not one of those teams. They could use an upgrade across from Antwan Odom, so this pick makes a ton of sense.
    Pick change; previously Marvin Austin, DT
  15. panthersb_logo.gifCarolina Panthers: Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh Pittsburgh_logo.gif
    I know the Panthers just obtained Brandon LaFell, but they also spent their top 2010 NFL Draft pick on Jimmy Clausen after giving Matt Moore $3 million for one season. They won't hesitate to select Jonathan Baldwin if he falls to them. He's just that good, and he would really solidify the No. 2 receiver position across from Steve Smith.
    Baldwin, at 6-5, 225, caught 57 balls for 1,111 yards and eight touchdowns as a sophomore in 2009.
    Pick change; previously DeAndre McDaniel, S
  16. bearsb_logo.gifChicago Bears: Joseph Barksdale, OT, LSU LSU_logo.gif
    The Bears can't be serious about having Frank Omiyale play right tackle. He couldn't block a plastic bag floating around in a gentle breeze. Something has to be done about this.
    Joseph Barksdale is an athletic 315-pound tackle. He'll be on LSU's blind side this year, and his stock will presumably soar.
    Pick change; previously Julio Jones, WR
  17. patriotsb_logo.gifNew England Patriots: Ryan Williams, RB, Virginia Tech VirginiaTech_logo.gif
    New England acquired this selection from Oakland for Richard Seymour. If Tom Brady and Wes Welker are healthy, and either Rob Gronkowski or Aaron Hernandez pans out, imagine how explosive New England's offense would be with Ryan Williams as a threat coming out of the backfield.
    Pick change; previously Mark Ingram, RB
  18. giantsb_logo.gifNew York Giants: Travis Lewis, OLB, Oklahoma Oklahoma_logo.gif
    Giants general manager Jerry Reese usually takes the top player on his board, and if he sticks with his strategy, he'll select Travis Lewis in this scenario. Lewis is a terrific linebacker who would be a great fit in Perry Fewell's defense.
    Pick change; previously Jurrell Casey, DT
  19. eaglesb_logo.gifPhiladelphia Eagles: Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina NorthCarolina_logo.gif
    Andy Reid usually surprises Eagles fans on Draft Day, and I think this would be a pretty shocking pick. Still, I think it makes a ton of sense.
    Mike Patterson had major consistency issues last year and was a pretty big disappointment. Marvin Austin wouldn't be the answer; he's very athletic and has a ton of upside, but has never lived up to it on the field. However, Reid has recently fallen in love with players with poor work ethic and character concerns (Jason Peters, QB Dog Killer). Austin would just be the latest addition to that group.
    Pick change; previously Joseph Barksdale, OT
  20. patriotsb_logo.gifNew England Patriots: Allen Bailey, DE/DT, Miami Miami_logo.gif
    I was pretty surprised that the Patriots passed up on Jared Odrick and allowed him to fall into enemy hands. Bill Belichick failed to address the 3-4 end position in the 2010 NFL Draft until very late, so he'll have to do that here.
    Pick change; previously Adrian Clayborn, DE/DT
  21. vikingsb_logo.gifMinnesota Vikings: Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State FloridaState_logo.gif
    Chris Berman probably hates this pick because the Vikings would never take a quarterback, for it would piss off Brett Favre. But that was in 2010. If Favre struggles this upcoming season - he's a 41-year-old coming off ankle surgery; I think that's remotely possible - then Minnesota's draft strategy will change come April 2011.
    What about Ryan Mallett? Well, Christian Ponder makes more sense for Brad Childress' offense. Plus, Ponder could solidify his mid-first-round status with a solid senior campaign.
    Pick change; previously Travis Lewis, OLB
  22. falconsb_logo.gifAtlanta Falcons: Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame NotreDame_logo.gif
    I was disappointed the Falcons weren't able to do two things this offseason: upgrade the pass rush and find a solid No. 2 receiver for Matt Ryan. Both items could be dealt with next spring.
    If Michael Floyd pans out, Atlanta's going to have a ridiculously dangerous offense.
    Pick change; previously Greg Romeus, DE
  23. jetsb_logo.gifNew York Jets: Von Miller, DE/OLB, Texas A&M TexasAM_logo.gif
    The Jets will likely have to defeat the Colts to advance to the Super Bowl in the next couple of years. To do so, they'll need to put as much pressure on Peyton Manning as possible without sending multiple blitzers and in turn exposing their secondary. Upgrades are needed at 3-4 end and rush linebacker.
    Von Miller, who beat Russell Okung on a few occasions in a 2009 meeting, is the top rush linebacker in the 2011 class.
    Pick change; previously Jack Crawford, DE/OLB
  24. chargersb_logo.gifSan Diego Chargers: Nate Potter, OT, Boise State BoiseState_logo.gif
    The situation with Marcus McNeill and Vincent Jackson is pretty ugly. Both players are likely to sit out a huge chunk of the 2010 season and bolt as free agents next spring. If this happens, San Diego needs to find a new left tackle to protect Philip Rivers.
    Pick change; previously Michael Floyd, WR
  25. 49ersb_logo.gifSan Francisco 49ers: Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas Arkansas_logo.gif
    I have the 49ers making the playoffs and even winning a game against the Falcons. However, they don't stand a chance to go deep into the postseason because Alex Smith will be a huge liability. If he really struggles this upcoming January, San Francisco may opt for another quarterback.
    Ryan Mallett could go a lot higher than this, but he could just as easily fall because of lingering questions about his intelligence and accuracy. Mike Singletary may want to take a chance on the strong-armed quarterback if he can get him this late in the first round.
    Pick change; previously Von Miller, DE/OLB
  26. dolphinsb_logo.gifMiami Dolphins: Deunta Williams, FS, North Carolina NorthCarolina_logo.gif
    The Dolphins tried to upgrade the free safety position this offseason, but failed to do so. Deunta Williams broke up eight passes and collected six interceptions last year. If Chris Clemons and Reshad Jones don't cut it, Williams could be their replacement.
  27. saintsb_logo.gifNew Orleans Saints: Bruce Carter, OLB, North Carolina NorthCarolina_logo.gif
    Saints fans are probably shaking their heads right now. Outside linebackers are frequently mocked to New Orleans, but it never happens on Draft Day. Well, I'm going to try again. If Jonathan Casillas doesn't pan out, the Saints are still going to have a big hole at weakside linebacker.
    Pick change; previously Sam Acho, DE
  28. coltsb_logo.gifIndianapolis Colts: Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College BostonCollege_logo.gif
    Even though the defensive side of the ball has been the weaker half of Indianapolis' roster, general manager Bill Polian has spent seven of his 11 first-round picks on offensive players.
    The Colts have to improve their offensive line, and I'm shocked they didn't do so in the 2010 NFL Draft. My guess is that they'll do that come April 2011.
  29. texansb_logo.gifHouston Texans: DeAndre McDaniel, S, Clemson Clemson_logo.gif
    Eugene Wilson is a decent free safety. The problem is that he's injured all the time; Wilson has missed a whopping 29 games the past four seasons. If he misses a significant amount of time again, Houston will have to find a new free safety.
    Pick change; previously Jared Crick, DT
  30. cowboysb_logo.gifDallas Cowboys: Rahim Moore, FS, UCLA UCLA_logo.gif
    Unless Akwasi Owusu-Ansah can step into the starting free safety role, the Cowboys will have major issues at the position this year. Rahim Moore picked off 10 passes as a sophomore.
  31. ravensb_logo.gifBaltimore Ravens: Mike Pouncey, C/G, Florida Florida_logo.gif
    Baltimore's offensive line has no issues right now, but will that be the case in 11 months? Center Matt Birk will be a 35-year-old entering his contract year. Right tackle Jared Gaither could be gone. And right guard Marshal Yanda will be a free agent a couple of years removed from a torn ACL, MCL and PCL. Yanda played incredibly well in 2009, but will Ozzie Newsome wish to dedicate a moderately sized contract to a lineman with a dubious knee history? I guess we'll find out.
  32. packersb_logo.gifGreen Bay Packers: Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia Virginia_logo.gif
    Charles Woodson just won Defensive Player of the Year, but he'll be 35 a month into the 2011 season. He can't possibly keep up this level of play into his mid-30s, can he?

Round 2:

44. Washington Redskins: Will Hill, FS, Florida

If LaRon Landry blows as many coverages in 2010 as he did last season, he won't be on the team much longer.

Richardson is a true soph and not eligable. He is a better RB than Ingram IMO, as do most of the Bammers I am friends with.

Richardson is an absolute freak of nature as a RB. The run against Texas sealed him as my top RB when he comes out. He truly is that good and if not for Ingram, he would have been the starter no doubt about it

Tris I was just looking at this mock the other day and there were some real interesting things about it. Baldwin should be taken a lot higher than he is right now and the choice between him and Jones. I'd take Baldwin 10 times out of 10. Also in case anyone couldn't tell the CB class is just loaded especially at the top. Peterson is as close to a shutdown corner as you can find. Also I think Walterfootball is severely underrating Ras-I Dowling. He's one of the best cover corners in the NCAA but he plays on a team that has been terrible lately, if he was on a Texas or Oklahoma putting up the stats he has then he'd be a lot higher of a pick, I think with the new scheme at UVA he'll move up the list very fast

Tris I was just looking at this mock the other day and there were some real interesting things about it. Baldwin should be taken a lot higher than he is right now and the choice between him and Jones. I'd take Baldwin 10 times out of 10. Also in case anyone couldn't tell the CB class is just loaded especially at the top. Peterson is as close to a shutdown corner as you can find.

Also I think Walterfootball is severely underrating Ras-I Dowling. He's one of the best cover corners in the NCAA but he plays on a team that has been terrible lately, if he was on a Texas or Oklahoma putting up the stats he has then he'd be a lot higher of a pick, I think with the new scheme at UVA he'll move up the list very fast

I think Julio is incredibly overrated.

And you are talking to a UVA grad. No one has a better understanding of the value of UVA NFL players - supremely talented, woefully underdeveloped and total lack of real coaching. They're year in and year out the best values in the NFL draft.

Watch Chris Cook, going to be a stud for the Vikes.

What positions do you want us all to focus on in next years draft. I think we have 3 glaring needs in OLB, ILB and WR. I also belive we soon need to draft a QB to learn under McNabb and a RB for when Johnson and Portis retire.

I think in the first round, we should draft along with the strength of the class. A lot of that will depend on which underclassmen come out. If bunches do, then QB, WR, OL, LB, DL, and DB will all be extremely strong groups this year. What I want most is for us to draft a stud QB prospect like Locker, Gabbert, or Luck if they are there. If not, I'd also love to have Jonathan Baldwin or A.J. Green. It'd also be nice to draft Ryan Williams or Mark Ingram but we don't really need a stud HB prospect to get good production in this offense. It'd be a bit of a luxury to have them.

If Green and Baldwin and the best QBs go before we pick, I'd draft defense early and often because there are a lot of impressive prospects that fit into a 3-4 defense nicely.

For DEs, I really like Heyward, Dareus, and Clayborn and Bailey too, though Clayborn's character issues worry me a tiny bit (charged with misdemeanor assault for punching a cabbie that supposedly called him the "N word"). Anyone of them could be a nice pick if it turns out DE is a need (Haynesworth sticks at NT or Carriker doesn't pan out). Greg Romeus from Pittsburgh is great too, but he doesn't quite have the size we're looking for. It seems Haslett wants our 5 techs to play in the 300-315 pound range and that's too big for Romeus. The other four guys I mentioned could all do it.

Jurrell Casey from USC and Marvin Austin from UNC are both very impressive prospects too, but they'll both probably have to play in 4-3 defenses in the NFL. Casey doesn't have the length to hold up in our defense, and Austin is a little one dimensional in that he's not as strong against the run as we'd like.

For nose tackles, there are a pair of really good looking prospects that I think have more potential than Dan Williams did (the first NT taken this year). I like Jerrell Powe from Ole Miss as a prototype for the position. Plus he's got really good range for his size. Steve Paea from Oregon St. is a better player though. He's got freakish core strength, an enormous base, and is incredibly quick. He's also got the perfect squatty height for the NT position at around 6'1/6'2. He'd be a tremendous fit for us and would be the rare NT that brings a lot of potential to the table as a pass rusher. With his conditioning, he could play over 75% of our snaps each game. Paea is probably my favorite defensive linemen in the class for us to draft based on our needs.

Linebacker could be a big need for us too and there are some good ones. I like Robert Quinn from UNC as a pass rusher with some potential to stand up and play OLB. Von Miller is also super impressive with his first step and a wide array of pass rush moves. He looks like an even better player than Jerry Hughes and Brandon Graham were last year and I loved each of them. Jeremy Beal and Sam Acho are big name Big 12 guys who could have breakout years. I'm not crazy about the group at the top though. I'd rather see us look for an OLB to develop in the middle to late rounds where there will probably be a lot of talent given the depth of the class.

At ILB, there are a few brilliant 4-3 LBs who might be able to make the transition inside like Patrick Willis did a few years ago. Greg Jones (Mich. St.), Bruce Carter (UNC) and Mark Herzlich (BC) are who I'm referring to. I'd be a little skeptical about trying that though, since each are probably better off getting drafted by a 4-3 team. Plus I think the class could already have a pair of brilliant 3-4 ILB prospects in it if Dont'a Hightower and Chris Galippo both come out early. They are my two favorite potential LB prospects in the class. Galippo is an old school all around football player that brings leadership and toughness to the table, kind of like Ro McClain did. Hightower is a gifted athlete and I like him because he's one of the best blitzing ILBs I've seen in a while and would bring a ton of versatility to a 3-4 defense for running zone blitzes. His injury worries me though. I bet he'll struggle early which could hurt his stock quite a bit.

As for the DBs, this could be the strongest position group of the class if the juniors declare. It's a physically big group, and there are some brilliant corner prospects. Patrick Peterson and Prince Amukamara are both great and already have a lot of name cache. I also like the two from Texas--Aaron Williams and Curtis Brown. UNC has some good DBs too like Kendric Burney. Peterson is the gem of this bunch though, and I'd love to have him. The safeties are as good as last year's group too. Rahim Moore is almost as talented as Eric Berry was. Mark Barron, Deandre McDaniel, and Deunta Williams are all impressive players too. It's another big and fast group.

Here's a concise version of my first round wish-list right now:

1.) Blaine Gabbert, QB, Mizzou

2.) Jake Locker, QB, Wash

3.) Andrew Luck, QB, Stan

4.) Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pitt

5.) A.J. Green, WR, UGA

6.) Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU

7.) Robert Quinn (assuming he can move to OLB), OLB, UNC

8.) Stephen Paea, NT, Oregon St

9.) Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio St

10.) Marcell Dareus, DE, Bama

11.) Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa

12.) Rahim Moore, FS, UCLA

13.) Dont'a Hightower (Assuming he comes back healthy), ILB, Bama

14.) Chris Galippo, ILB, USC

15.) Allen Bailey, DE, Miami

16.) Jerrell Powe, NT, Ole Miss

17.) Ryan Williams, HB, VT

18.) Mark Ingram, HB, Bama

19.) Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

20.) Rodney Hudson, OG, FSU

21.) Julio Jones (on potential over Floyd), WR, Bama

22.) Michael Floyd, WR, ND

23.) Aaron Williams, CB, Texas

24.) Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M

25.) Bruce Carter, LB, UNC

26.) Greg Jones, ILB, Mich St

27.) Christian Ponder, QB, FSU

28.) Mark Barron, SS, Bama

29.) Mark Herzlich, LB, BC

30.) Stefen Wisniewski, OC, Penn St

31.) Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska

32.) Deandre McDaniel, SS, Clemson

I didn't rank any OTs because hopefully we can get Jammal Brown signed to a multi year deal and set our bookends for several more years. I think darellgreenie is right in that we should be looking for OT help in the middle to late rounds to develop as depth rather than in the first. I also left off the defensive linemen who I didn't think would fit well for us like Marvin Austin, Jurell Casey, Greg Romeus, etc. I also didn't rank that many DBs because I think we've got a really good group already on our roster and am hoping it won't be much of a need area if Carlos has a breakout season and Kareem Moore plays well. I put a few up, because sometimes a talent is just too good to pass up on like it is with Patrick Peterson and Rahim Moore. I left off Ras-I Dowling from UVA though. I'm not much impressed with any UVA player and he strikes me as a little overrated based on his size. That's not to say I'm biased against UVA players--I loved Eugene Monroe and Clint Sintim as prospects. Dowling just hasn't performed like a first round corner for an entire season.

Notably absent are some QB prospects like Ryan Mallett. I just don't think he's that good. He's really just an arm right now, and his accuracy, mechanics, and decision making aren't as good as Nick Foles' or Pat Devlin's are. Both of them bring a live arm to the table too. I'd probably draft them ahead of Mallett, who I doubt Shanahan will have any interest in anyway. Jerrod Johnson is talented but again I have questions about his arm strength and he's got a big long release just like Mallett.

Lastly, I didn't rank DeMarco Murray or Noel Devine because I devalued the HB position for us. They are fringe first round prospects on their own, but our FO will never draft them in the first.

Archived