Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FFLS: More Jerseys maybe Retired

SWFLSkins

In BBN news section and thought this would be good for discussing.....

http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2010/082010/08072010/566966

BY RICH CAMPBELL

ASHBURN

--The Washington Redskins have officially retired only one number--Sammy Baugh's 33--in their history, but there are several that simply aren't distributed out of respect for past stars who wore them.

Scan the current training-camp roster, for example, and you won't find John Riggins' No. 44, Darrell Green's No. 28 or Art Monk's No. 81. All three of them are Hall of Famers, but Joe Theismann's No. 7 is also on the list.

Considering that unofficial policy, then, you might be surprised to know that second-year tackle Clint Oldenburg is wearing Russ Grimm's No. 68.

Grimm is being enshrined today in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, which would seemingly make his jersey number untouchable.

Owner Daniel Snyder acknowledged this paradox yesterday and hinted at the possibility of a more formal retired-jersey format.

"I think we're going to look at things in the future a little bit," Snyder said yesterday. "Hopefully we'll make [Grimm] proud."

If they are in the Hall, retire them :2cents:

I agree, but disagree. Like I said, its just tough to retire numbers in football because for example, WRs can only wear 20 different numbers (80-89 and 10-19). So if we start retiring numbers, you're only leaving a certain amount of numbers to choose from. Its not like baseball, basketball, or hockey where you can wear whatever number you want.

I agree, but disagree. Like I said, its just tough to retire numbers in football because for example, WRs can only wear 20 different numbers (80-89 and 10-19). So if we start retiring numbers, you're only leaving a certain amount of numbers to choose from. Its not like baseball, basketball, or hockey where you can wear whatever number you want.

I see where you are coming from but in the 70 some years we have how many players in the Hall 6 so I think we will be fine

If they are in the Hall, retire them :2cents:

Exactly how I feel. Should be no exceptions. If you want your jersey retired then play as hard as you can for the ultimate reward, a retired jersey.

I don't feel Theismann has earned that right. Same with Mark Rypien... close but no cigar.

This seems like the way it should be

It does seem that way, but with what Matt is saying sooner or later some numbers would have to re-issued.

Actually its 13. So we'd have to retire 9, 42, 44, 40, 49, 70, 81, 28, 20, 35, 68, and 27.
Well...

If jerseys get retired, you still have to expect them to be worn in training camp. There's only so many numbers and a ton of bodies wearing them.

Oldenburg wearing 68 right now is no big deal.

Oldenburg hating to hear that while still sweating camp. :pfft:

I am probably in the minority in thinking that numbers shouldn't be retired. The Ring of Fame is the perfect way to celebrate ones legacy. Your name will be up there forever and you will never be forgotten. I think that all numbers should be reissued and let other players make a name for themselves in that number. There might be kids growing up that look up to a player their whole lives, and when they finally make it big they might want to wear that number and that is their way of honoring that player. If you retire numbers, that can never happen. Plus, I would rather see the numbers such as 7,9,21,28,42,43,44,49,81 on the field, because it might bring you back to the glory years and remember the greats that have worn those numbers. I think it is cool that in NASCAR, Richard Petty's 43 is still running out on the track. Even though I never saw Petty race, just seeing that 43 reminds me of all the history with that number. Even though it hasn't had a whole lot of success lately, I don't feel that in tarnishes the number, but rather it honors the legend, unlike Earnhardt's 3 which is just collecting dust.

Even though I don't agree, I can understand why people think certain numbers should be retired. Chris Samuels just retired after a great 10 years on the field, where he could possibly be HOF material. And this year, we have the young rookie Selvish Capers wearing the number 60. I haven't really heard many people talking about that, but I think it is neat that the number gets to live on, and let other people have a chance at doing great things in it.

Archived