Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Chase doesn't start??

Thinking Skins

I'm getting different expectatios for Chase as I read teh news reports. Most media outlets are saying that Chase is almost guranteed a spot in the starting line here in Washington. But people like Edwards and most of our team are saying that Chase has to come in here and compete for a spot.

So if he comes in here and is outplayed by guys like Cowsette and Haley, where will he stand? Will the media start calling him a bust? Saying that we paid too much for a backup?

I can see it now, we're going to be in the top 12 teams against the rush this year with Haley and Cowsette starting and having a nice rotation, but because we don't have superstars in there we're going to be considered a bust of a line.

Originally posted by blakman211

I can see it now, we're going to be in the top 12 teams against the rush this year with Haley and Cowsette starting and having a nice rotation, but because we don't have superstars in there we're going to be considered a bust of a line.

If we are twelfth, we are playoff bound!!:applause:

what is Edwards supposed to say? :)

that the guys like Cowsette and others are not ready to play regularly in the NFL and that Chase and perhaps another yet to be acquired player is going to save their bacon? :laugh:

coaches have to get loyalty from their players and to do that they have to SHOW loyalty.

that is what all the talk about 'making do with the guys we have' was about before the Chase trade was finalized.....just in case we HAD to go with these players.

I agree that Chase is not a lock as a starter, although you could say that with Haley likely a starter at one spot that leaves him in competition with Cowsette, Holsey and Cannida for the other.

Cowsette is probably the last DT right now.

Holsey is a natural end and is undersized at 286.

Cannida has some starts on his sheet but has never been able to stick anywhere. And his primary asset is his quickness not his strength against the run.

So, Chase is a good bet to see a lot of action. That's why the bar on it becoming a #6 pick as compensation was set so low, at 40% of the snaps for 2003.

We may add another player who will bump either Haley or Chase to a backup role, but right now they look to be the starters.

Originally posted by blakman211

I'm getting different expectatios for Chase as I read teh news reports. Most media outlets are saying that Chase is almost guranteed a spot in the starting line here in Washington. But people like Edwards and most of our team are saying that Chase has to come in here and compete for a spot.

So if he comes in here and is outplayed by guys like Cowsette and Haley, where will he stand? Will the media start calling him a bust? Saying that we paid too much for a backup?

I hear you! I'm not concerned about who starts - only the results. I give the FO a lot of credit for continuing to look for people who might be able to help, bringing them in, and giving them a chance to compete for a job. The Skins are working hard to get better. If that means a rotation that takes advantage of each player's skills, that's what it will be. Of course, it's a disadvantage against the No Huddle or whatever other teams use to counteract it but I think the FO is doing the best it can for now in view of the master plan for rebuilding the team.

What's Chase's forte? Is he more of a NT or more of a 3 technique guy? The WP mentioned that Haley was being moved back over to his more normal NT position, and that both Cannida and Holsey were more 3 technique guys. I'd have to think Cowsette can be considered more 3-T as well because of his quickness and burst to the ball.

In fact.... we have an abundance of 3-T guys and not enough NT (immovable object) guys.

Originally posted by Cskin

What's Chase's forte? Is he more of a NT or more of a 3 technique guy? The WP mentioned that Haley was being moved back over to his more normal NT position, and that both Cannida and Holsey were more 3 technique guys. I'd have to think Cowsette can be considered more 3-T as well because of his quickness and burst to the ball.

In fact.... we have an abundance of 3-T guys and not enough NT (immovable object) guys.

Chase is definitely a NT.

Well, from what's being reported by some Saints fans around here, Chase is a solid player who looked good in the reps he was given and that had he not been buried behind guys like Norman Hand and Grady Jackson, he could have started and filled in adequately. If Chase plays NT, there shouldn't be much difference between him and what Noble would have given us.

The problem seems to be that both he and Haley are the nose tackle kind of player. We need a three-technique guy to come in and disrupt things in the backfield. BUT, come to think of it, with two gus upfront occupying blocks, that could really free things for the lb's.

If I had to bet, I would say that Chase will be starting on Sept. 4

It doesn't really matter who starts, in my mind. The 3rd DT is basically a starter anyway, especially on this line, with no studs or even established starters.

If I had to guess, I'd say Haley and Chase will be starting against the Jets, but that's just my gut feeling.

Archived